Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scared to travel that far with inlaws

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

FuNKy102 wrote: »

We have travel insurance taken out which I suppose is one reassuring thing.

Not sure what you mean by that. Change of mind isn't covered by insurance so it looks like someone will be out of pocket for your flights.

OP I think this holiday isn't your biggest problem, you need to talk to your husband about equal marriage. You are both parents, not just you. Your husband needs to start sharing the responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I'm so happy for you you made this decision. To go on this trip would be pure madness regarding all the things which were covered already like your illness, the small child, living situation, your unsopportive husband and mother in law.

and it starts even with the flight nobody took into consideration. I presume they booked a nonstop flight, means no day in Dubai stopover to adapt to time difference or get enough sleep. So your overall travel time (with presumably some hours waiting for connecting flight) will be close to 30 hours, you will not get much sleep on the planes, maybe nothing at all, the child will probably not sleep very well either.

then you arrive and you have up to 10hours! time difference. the jetlag in combination with sleep deprivation is horrible. even when young, and without an illness like yours, a small child, useless husband, it's hard to take for the body and soul, I thought I'm actually going insane and I know friends who felt the same.

also, I think the point 'it's your lifetime opportunity' doesn't make any sense. It sounds like a saying from the 50's in this case. We have 2019, you can book a flight to Australia on the internet in the next five minutes, going the next days. From Dubai there's at least a flight per day to Perth,Melbourne or Sydney.
    There's every chance in the world to go in a few years when the child is older if you still wish.

Also I think, this whole travel dilemma is just a 'side story' to the much bigger dilemma your in: your husband and the mother in law, your own inabilty to stand up for yourself. I think you have a long and not very pleasant journey ahead of you to get out of this, but believe me, it's worth all the pain to get out of this. otherwise you'll be a push around all your life for your husband and your inlaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I know you have decided not to go but just as someone who is in Australia and who came here with 3 small children, this is a great country for kids, even visiting kids. The playgrounds and parks and just the general welcome that children get is great. You would really enjoy it here with one toddler because there are so many free things to do.
    Three weeks would be the perfect amount of time, any less and you would not even be over the jetlag.

This post seemed to be less about the trip though and a lot more about how unhelpful your husband is, great that he is PLANNING on being better, maybe he should just actually be better.

Advertisement