Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double switched socket - with USB for iPad, tablet etc - recommendation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I'm looking to upgrade some double sockets in my kitchen to ones that can charge an iPad or 2 a the same time.

Would this British General one do the job?
    I see that some of them are only rated to 5V, 2.1A on the USB - seems a bit on the low side for the tablet (it's adapter is rated at 15W I think)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BG-Electrical-Double-Socket-sockets/dp/B01MQE5VJ1/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2K6HU04ANM21K&keywords=4.2a%2Busb%2Bdouble%2Bsocket&qid=1553082553&s=gateway&sprefix=4.2A%2B%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-7&th=1

Does the current on the USB port get split

Is the USB port always "on", or does the switch on the socket turn it on/off?
    I'm assuming there is a mini transformer built into the back of the socket, so is there a small amount of power always being used with these sockets?

Any cheaper/better alternative to the one I linked, or is that the approximate price of them?

Thanks.
    That's actually really good for the price. Most have 2.1A split between each usb port. Even though there is a transformer unless you are constantly charging the cost of the true a former usage off charge isn't worth talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

I have seen some discussions that say they may be prone to failing due to the transformer being constantly powered.

However at that price worth trying, just make sure you have the depth in the box as they are considerably deeper than a normal socket.

These can be handy too to hold the device while they charge:

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/lap-2-gang-socket-shelf-white.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwj9LkBRDnARIsAGQ-hUftu0Ml3_q4RDCy3EZR_EULNxvKwYEwnUnuZ-xZBl0Q6-ENjWPiVnUaAo5REALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users Posts: 41 onliner

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No offense intended but the links posted to products so far are for what I would strongly suspect are very low quality items. You get what you pay for with accessories such as this.

My preference would be to go for a reputable make such as MK. Yes this will cost significantly more but for this extra money you will get a superior quality and safer unit. I know that there are those that will disagree, but that is my opinion. Part of the reason for having this view is that I have seen the aftermath of more than one serious electrical fire and I have seen plenty of cheap & nasty kit fail. Buying "bargains" such as these is frequently works out far more expensive in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I'm looking to upgrade some double sockets in my kitchen to ones that can charge an iPad or 2 a the same time.

Would this British General one do the job?
    I see that some of them are only rated to 5V, 2.1A on the USB - seems a bit on the low side for the tablet (it's adapter is rated at 15W I think)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BG-Electrical-Double-Socket-sockets/dp/B01MQE5VJ1/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2K6HU04ANM21K&keywords=4.2a%2Busb%2Bdouble%2Bsocket&qid=1553082553&s=gateway&sprefix=4.2A%2B%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-7&th=1

Does the current on the USB port get split

Is the USB port always "on", or does the switch on the socket turn it on/off?
    I'm assuming there is a mini transformer built into the back of the socket, so is there a small amount of power always being used with these sockets?

Any cheaper/better alternative to the one I linked, or is that the approximate price of them?

Thanks.

Wouldnt be something id be looking to cheap out on, as mentioned, the USB charger is always on... But good ones hardly use any power when there is no load.
    AFAIK the current is usually shared.
    In the one you linked it says "3.1A total output, 5V"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

MK max out at 2A total output, there's a serious lack of innovation with sockets, any other industry would have USB-C fast chargers available by now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

astrofool wrote: »
    MK max out at 2A total output, there's a serious lack of innovation with sockets, any other industry would have USB-C fast chargers available by now

So go for a different brand, but for God’s sake don’t scrimp on this. Cut corners elsewhere. Buy a quality unit made by a manufacturer that has a good, long standing reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

2011 wrote: »
    So go for a different brand, but for God’s sake don’t scrimp on this. Cut corners elsewhere. Buy a quality unit made by a manufacturer that has a good, long standing reputation.

Too many people just see cheap and go for it. Quality seems to be low on their priorities. My sister is looking for me to do some work for her and iv told her of course id do it but im not doing it if she buys inferior products. Waste of time to be honest as they fail after a short period.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

2011 wrote: »

such as?
    link?

Legrand, ABB, Crabtree, Schnieder Electric. This is well worth a read:
    Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I've had 2 of the Aldi ones installed now for a year.
    No issues.

See them under Aldi special buys from 21 March

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I've had 2 of the Aldi ones installed now for a year.
    No issues.

I don't doubt you, but this doesn't really prove anything.

Most low quality cheap USB sockets will work just fine, it is the exceptions that cause fires / result in someone receiving a shock.

If you talk to any experienced REC / electrician you will find that they have all seen dangerous wiring that has not resulted in a fire or electrocution. It should not be concluded that the absence of a serious issue means that the installation is somehow it safe and as such should be left as it is. This wiring still poses an unacceptable risk.

There will always be those who buy cheap kit and "get away with it". Some are prepared to take that risk, others are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dnargel

Legrand launched a new twin socket last year which is a dual usb type a and type c.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would expect a socket to last 20 years, and maybe twice that if is lightly used (items are not frequently plugged in and out).

It is easy enough with a socket, because there is no 'active' electronics. It's just a few prongs and screws. (It is certainly possible to buy junk nonetheless.)

A usb charger is a whole other thing. To make this item to a high enough level of quality to be plugged in and out thousands of times over 20 years and with electronics that will last adequately, is going to cost quite a bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

Dnargel wrote: »
    Legrand launched a new twin socket last year which is a dual usb type a and type c.

Thanks for that, new poster, whose username just happens to be Legrand in reverse!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Pkiernan wrote:
    How have I gotten away with it?

You're being deliberately passive aggressive with the garbage you're spewing

And boring as all hell.

Pkiernan.

Note please be civil while posting on this forum. It's a discussion forum. If you've an issue with the content please address it with a more levelheaded post next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Just spotted this thread,

I bought a few popular manufacturers usb sockets (paid handsomely for them including contractors discount) the usb ports are unswitched the socket outlets themselves are switched and to be honest they are the worst at charging i have used laptops, tvs etc to charge my phone and the schneider ones are by far the worst and it gets even worse when two devices are plugged in. They are handy for alexa or something that needs power constantly but not for charging anything.

I happened to be at my mothers when i noticed that she had a twin usb socket installed (luckily i wasn't given the job lol) i was staying there that weekend and i charged my tablet using it and found that it charged faster than the charger that was supplied i tried my phone also and found the same thing.........here is the shocker i asked where she had purchased the socket "oh i can't remember Lidl or Aldi" i know build quality might not be the best but..........

tweek84 wrote: »
    I happened to be at my mothers when i noticed that she had a twin usb socket installed (luckily i wasn't given the job lol) i was staying there that weekend and i charged my tablet using it and found that it charged faster than the charger that was supplied i tried my phone also and found the same thing.........here is the shocker i asked where she had purchased the socket "oh i can't remember Lidl or Aldi" i know build quality might not be the best but..........

Apart from questions about the quality of a USB outlet if it charges devices too rapidly it can be detrimental to both the lifespan and performance of batteries.

Advertisement