Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Maintenance?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Late to this, but I'd tackle most things myself (@ 3 adult bikes + 3 kids bike I need to!). I've replaced a full groupset myself and strip down the bottom bracket semi-regularly to clean/lube.

I'd balk at headsets, hub servicing (or anything else with bearings likely to fly off in a million different directions), and I prefer not to mess with spokes on the road bike as I have the horrible feeling I'd end up with something resembling a clown bike very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I tackle as much maintenance as I can myself. I like to know how things work and get enjoyment out of fixing them myself.
    I got a bike with disc brakes last year and would like to learn to service them myself.
    Had an issue where my rear calliper tightened too much while the wheel was removed to travel. Had to bring it back to the dealer to sort out which was a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭cletus

Effects wrote: »
    I tackle as much maintenance as I can myself. I like to know how things work and get enjoyment out of fixing them myself.
    I got a bike with disc brakes last year and would like to learn to service them myself.
    Had an issue where my rear calliper tightened too much while the wheel was removed to travel. Had to bring it back to the dealer to sort out which was a pain in the ass.

What happened? Presume the brake lever was pulled in transit, and forced the piston out too far?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

cletus wrote: »
    What happened? Presume the brake lever was pulled in transit, and forced the piston out too far?

Yeah, think that's what happened. It was tricky to get it into the bike box to transport. In future I'll pop something in place of the removed disc (or just hire a bike there!).

While trying to fix it, the piston dropped out, and it lost some brake fluid.
    It's a Giant, and has mech brake levers that switch over to hydraulic at the stem.

Also found that tubeless tires need a special pump to seat them when fitting. Another pain in the ass, but lesson learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I know it's not friday but here goes..

1. Do you Maintain your own Bike(s)?

2. What repairs would you leave into your LBS?

3. What repairs/Maintenance would you be prepared to Pay someone else to do for you.

1. Yes

2. Never done it so far

Have stripped and refitted numerous hubs, headsets and bottom brackets. Have replaced cups on older hubs. Trued wheels. Haven’t built a wheel yet but plan to give it a go someday.

3. Frame repair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bit of a silly question, but what is the best way to clean your bike? Power-wash? PH neutral soap? Oil for the chain etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i use degreaser (well, the cheapo bike wash stuff from dealz, am near the end of my supply), a sponge/old toothbrush, and a normal hose, for most of the bike.
    nailbrushes, etc. for the chain.

Advertisement