Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which vega 56?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Get the Sapphire just because it is not a blower.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

I also forgot to ask how power hungry they are, pcpartpicker seems to say there will be no issue with my 450w PSU but I was watching a youtube video that I thought said they can use over 300 watts, maybe I misheard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

450W is definitely on the low side, even if it's a high quality 450W gold unit it would be cutting it fine and not ideal.

If it's not a very high quality PSU, definitely not suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

450W is definitely on the low side, even if it's a high quality 450W gold unit it would be cutting it fine and not ideal.

If it's not a very high quality PSU, definitely not suitable.

It definitely is not a high quality PSU :(

Would I be as well to plod along with my current set up until I have enough money to do a full new rig? (really regretting going budget build, current pc is only a year old! :o )

Ryzen 5 1500x
    8gb ram
    1050ti

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

Sapphire suggests a 750W(!!!) PSU: http://pulse.sapphiretech.com/en/Vega56.html#specifications
    I wouldn't use it on a 450W PSU. It's not just the total power usage, also the PSU needs to be able to supply the required current (amps) on the 12V rails that feed the PCIe power connectors. So even if you are (on paper) within the limits, you will be pushing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Running an undervolted, overclocked Sapphire card and an overclocked Ryzen 5. Using a watt meter plug I don't go over 400W (that's what the PSU is pulling from the socket), even if I push the crap out of the card.

My PSU is a Seasonic 520W bronze unit and I haven't had any crashes now that I've got the card set up right.

I'd suggest you upgrade, and go as high as you can based on their recommendations. But I personally think the 750W recommended PSU is too much.

Also go for the pulse, it's very loud at times, but will be less noisy than the blower card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

A GTX 1660ti will work with a 450W PSU and it's still a significant upgrade over a 1050ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You could pick up a new 500-550W Gold-rated PSU and a RX 570/580 8Gb as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

I used this to check my new build's power requirements, got it from pcmr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would just get a GTX1660Ti? Will work fine. It's similar to the Vega 56 performance wise too.

Also consider a Ryzen 2600 upgrade at some point. The problem with the 1500X is that it's a quad core, versus the hex core of the 1600/2600 and current i5 line. Some of the latest games are really starting to punish quad core CPUs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Coyler

I also forgot to ask how power hungry they are, pcpartpicker seems to say there will be no issue with my 450w PSU but I was watching a youtube video that I thought said they can use over 300 watts, maybe I misheard

That's only if they increase the amount of power the card is supposed to pull. Can be done in settings and is a way of increasing performance upto Vega 64/GTX 1080 levels. Need a good cooler though. From what I understand the people who do this water cool their card so realistically it's not really something for you to consider.

What most people actually do, as jebidiah says, is undervolt the card because the recommend power requirements from AMD are more than is needed due to some manufacturers using better parts than reference. This reduces both the power consumption and the heat produced making the very easy to overclock. Easy to do in software and results make it very good bang for buck.

Throw in Raise the Game deal and a Vega 56 is good value. I really want Division 2 so it's saving me a few euros even without DMC5 and Resi 2.

On power, I've a 500w pulling an old 380x which is more power hungry than the Vega 56. Also it's that's what sapphire recommended even though it was a higher draw so I'd take the 750w with a grain of salt. However, I've a reasonably good PSU as well as another 600w one in storage so I'm happy to suck it and see.

Edit: Go with the Sapphire model. Reading around it's the better choice. MSI one is louder and performance difference is a wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Your current psu isn't up to it I don't think. The MSI 1660Ti would be a better slot in option for you to be honest. It's £299 on overclockers.

You should also make sure you have enough power connectors etc for the more powerful card.

If you want to pay £278 for a very very capable card for 1080p gaming for years to come with three brand new games thrown in for free. Get the pulse card . The price of the games is more than the price of a new 650W PSU which I would say you should upgrade to if you decide to get the Vega.

Advertisement