Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei P30/P30 Pro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

As an aside, is there a guide anywhere to using all those manual controls? Like in a general sense, not specific to the P30 Pro. I think the last phone I had with manual controls was an LG but I hadn't one iota (and still don't) what ISO, etc are. Anyone know of a dummies guide out there anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

As an aside, is there a guide anywhere to using all those manual controls? Like in a general sense, not specific to the P30 Pro. I think the last phone I had with manual controls was an LG but I hadn't one iota (and still don't) what ISO, etc are. Anyone know of a dummies guide out there anywhere?

Google "The Exposure Triangle" it should bring up links to the basics of photography for these settings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

my samsung s8 seems ok in auto mode with no motion blur...but of course no optical zoom.....so, will there be more risk of motion blur using the 5x optical vs non-zoomed ?
    sorry for the amateur way i'm describing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Purchased the P30 Pro yesterday. Turned it on at 54% and it was dead in 5 hours exactly. What the hell?

The first thing I do whenever I get a new phone is look at power saving tips on YouTube so my phone is working at optimum efficiency. If the battery is still **** after that, then you either have a faulty handset or above average usage.

i'm in liffey valley as i type...went into 3 phone shops, and all the same nowadays..phone on a stand connected to counter, no lifting it up looking at the back, trying the camera..etc.
    i dunno, maybe thats a right way to have it, but i wish i could get the chance to see one of these properly before investing...youtube videos arent the same as the thing in your hand, listening to volume, getting a good feel for it etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Got my Sonos today.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gavin1980

dan786 wrote: »
    Got my Sonos today.

No Way! What date did you get validated.

Waiting patiently on mine :-)

Gavin1980 wrote: »
    No Way! What date did you get validated.

Waiting patiently on mine :-)

30 seconds after I made the claim on 18th. Around 00.02.

30 seconds after I made the claim on 18th. Around 00.02.

Did mine at 2am on the 18th and it just arrived in the door now!

Woohoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nice, after the buds delays I thought it would be longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

What proof of purchase is OK to claim the sonos? Still haven't claimed but don't have a receipt really other than email confirmation

Screenshot of the email works. Just make sure all the information they want is visible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Are the people who received the speakers on Vodafone or Three? I got my request validated on the first day and have got nothing yet.

j_mo wrote: »
    Are the people who received the speakers on Vodafone or Three? I got my request validated on the first day and have got nothing yet.

I'm with Three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭enryb12

Anyone who got the phone with Three, is it the model with 8GB RAM? I was looking at different model (VOG-L04, VOG-L09, VOG-L29) and seen there is a Pro version with only 6GB RAM which I thought was weird, thought they all had 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

enryb12 wrote: »
    Anyone who got the phone with Three, is it the model with 8GB RAM? I was looking at different model (VOG-L04, VOG-L09, VOG-L29) and seen there is a Pro version with only 6GB RAM which I thought was weird, thought they all had 8

Yeah, the three one is 8gb.

i thought 3's were 6gb ram...128gb storage

dougm1970 wrote: »
    i thought 3's were 6gb ram...128gb storage

I got the VOG-L09 8GB/128GB version. I think they are all like this from three.

Doesnt matter where you bought it doesnt make a difference.

Got one yesterday for my fathers P30 Pro validated on 21st April. VF device. Got mine on 1st May for one validated on 18th. Three.

Anyone who got their speaker, has their Claim Summary page changed? Mine says sent for fulfilment on 18-04-2019 at 1:35am

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anyone who got their speaker, has their Claim Summary page changed? Mine says sent for fulfilment on 18-04-2019 at 1:35am

Nope recived mine 2 days ago and my page still looks the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

Just calling back to say I bit the bullet and went with the P30 Pro earlier this week. I made the right choice, there's no way I'd be as excited to play with the S10+ partially because of the P30 Pro camera, partially because my last few phones were Samsung.

I was wrong below about the colour balance on the Huawei camera, it's great. It has a "vivid colour" mode that they don't use in the online reviews - give the option of more saturate shots, closer to what I was used to on the Galaxy phones.

EMUI is totally fine - very customizable, and feels intuitive after I disabled a few things like the back/home gestures etc.

Very happy, thanks to folks here for the advice :)
    fullerand wrote: »
    Have been flipflopping in my mind between P30 Pro and S10+ ... even though the P30 Pro cameras are definitely better technically, in all the reviews online I find myself preferring the colour balance etc from the Samsung - the P30 Pro shots sometimes seem either slightly dull/washed out or have highlights like the sky blown out cos of lower dynamic range.

fullerand wrote: »
    EMUI is totally fine - very customizable, and feels intuitive after I disabled a few things like the back/home gestures etc.
    :)

Yeah, I don't see any problem with EMUI tbh. Battery saving settings for apps to get notifications is the only issue if you don't know about that setting

is it possible to change the look of the navigation keys ?....say to resemble pixels or samsungs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭cromelex

Anyone with the standard P30 can confirm which firmware version they currently have?

Mine is still on the .109, bought from Vodafone. Heard about some people getting an update pretty much on release date, but I haven't received any either via OTA or the HiSuite app.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lfcfan2017

Got my Sonos today.

Me too, great sound from it. Finicky initially to setup with a combo of Alexa and Sonos app. Got there though, happy out with it.

is it possible to change the look of the navigation keys ?....say to resemble pixels or samsungs ?

I don't think so. If they're changeable it's likely to be part of a theme. I've been using the gesture mode with no buttons instead.
    Works well most of the time.

Anyone ever manage to get rid of the Optimiser notification saying you used x amount of data when the screen was locked.
    I turned them all off but it keeps saying it's enabled and the notification is there most of the time.

Keith186 wrote: »
    I don't think so. If they're changeable it's likely to be part of a theme. I've been using the gesture mode with no buttons instead.
    Works well most of the time.

only thing i read about that was its arkward when in an app where you have to swipe right to reveal a menu....is that right ?

only thing i read about that was its arkward when in an app where you have to swipe right to reveal a menu....is that right ?

Yeah, that particular action can be tricky but most of those apps have a button up the top also to slide out the menu.
    I do find the swipe from edge gesture nice for the back button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Got the 153 update today on my three p30 pro. Think it has stuff like dual video and picture highlight thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I cant find my posted out receipt..... will the email order confirmation work to claim the Sonos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭cromelex

Scruff wrote: »
    I cant find my posted out receipt..... will the email order confirmation work to claim the Sonos?

I originally submitted it with the email confirmation (from Vodafone) and it was rejected, had to find the actual receipt.

I used the email receipt and it was validated. Still no sonos though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Found delivery receipt but it doesn't have the order date, just the shipping date which was the 5th. Will create a PDF of both and see how I get on.

Scruff wrote: »
    Found delivery receipt but it doesn't have the order date, just the shipping date which was the 5th. Will create a PDF of both and see how I get on.

I literally gave a screen shot from my phone of the e-mail confirmation from when I pre-ordered and that validated within seconds on the promo site and received my Sonos last week

Example Below - The e-mail address for 3 and Date needs to be visible

My sonos arrived today. Looks like quality piece of kit, haven't tried it yet though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Who is delivering these? DPD?

I can't remember who delivered. But looks like Google assistant is available on them from next week.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/9/18563413/sonos-google-assistant-smart-speakers-coming-next-week

Cienciano wrote:
    I can't remember who delivered. But looks like Google assistant is available on them from next week.

Only rolling out to certain sonos speakers in the US first and other countries will follow afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Has anyone got the highlights thing introduced in the latest update to work? I've charged a few times since then but still nothing showing up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Looking to get a nano card for my phone but can't find any only on ebay but they look dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There's ones on Amazon.co.uk that are Huawei branded and sold directly by Amazon so I'd say they're safe enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Sorry should have said looking for the 256gb card but can't find them

Sonos one is a nice piece of kit, but like j_mo said, no google assistant for a while in Ireland. Alexa is fine, but for some reason it cuts out after about a minute of talking to it for me. But for playing spotify and stuff through, it's great. You can pair up 2 for stereo speakers which would be a nice little setup.
    Darren 83 wrote: »
    Looking to get a nano card for my phone but can't find any only on ebay but they look dodgy.

I definitely wouldn't buy a 256 one on ebay. Might be worth asking on reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 binnox

I got approved and message sent to fulfillment on 20th April and no sign of it yet. Is anyone else is still waiting this long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

My claim was finally validated 24/04, and still waiting

binnox wrote:
    I got approved and message sent to fulfillment on 20th April and no sign of it yet. Is anyone else is still waiting this long.

My claim was validated on the 18th of April and only arrived Friday morning.

MoodeRator wrote: »
    My claim was finally validated 24/04, and still waiting

Same here, hopefully arriving this week.

Got an update there for dual camera and a security patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭enryb12

Gonna pull the trigger on this the weekend! Finally got to hold it properly today in my local CPW and it felt great!

Will still see what the OP7 is like later when announced but that pop up selfie camera on the pro is a massive no no for me!

My claim was validated on the 18th of April and only arrived Friday morning.
    Mine was validated on 18th and arrived last Friday too.
    Gonna pull the trigger on this the weekend! Finally got to hold it properly today in my local CPW and it felt great!

Will still see what the OP7 is like later when announced but that pop up selfie camera on the pro is a massive no no for me!
    Pop up camera sounds annoying. Although, if apple did it, we'd all have them within a couple of years. Think I'd prefer an notch

• Advertisement
Advertisement