Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Break while out on a spin

Options
  • 20-03-2019 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Its always been a fear of mine, my chain breaking on a spin.

Now i have a new bike, so i'd imagine its not a real risk for me.

But i'd like to know what i need in my saddle bag to fix it. I have a multi-tool that allows me to remove a pin from the chain. What else do i need?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A SRAM quicklink/powerlink and a chainbreaker, sin You already have one. Try your LBS for the quicklinks, most will have a load of them and be far cheaper than buying online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There are quick links for sale on one of the threads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think I've done it once in the last 15 years. That was on a fixie though.
    Chain-tool and power-link are the way to go... and the knowledge of how to use both.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Happened me once about 7/8km from home. I had a quick link but no chain tool so rang the wife to come rescue me. Fixed the chain and headed back out again. Put another 3/4000kms on that chain and never had any further issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Smudger80

Happened to a mate while out on a spin,I had a bit of a giggle at him and then realised I had to push him home for 9 Klms,he had the last laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ive had to repair a chain twice in 20 years cycling. on both occasions i was lucky that i had a muti-tool with a chain breaker. (Q links weren't invented at the time! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Ive had to repair a chain twice in 20 years cycling. on both occasions i was lucky that i had a muti-tool with a chain breaker. (Q links weren't invented at the time! :) )

It had happened me once doing a test spin a second hand bike I was buying from the LBS, thankfully it was just outside shop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Are quick links universal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Raam wrote: »
    I think I've done it once in the last 15 years. That was on a fixie though.

Was the chain a single speed chain or just a standard chain? I only built up a fixie recently and the chain I got I'd swear you could put it on a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I've had two chain breaks in the past year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hurrache wrote: »
    Are quick links universal?

usually depends on the group set. One for 9 speed will be wider for an 11 speed set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

07Lapierre wrote: »

From your maintenance thread, I fixed someone's broken chain on a club spin last year without chain tools. Mind, the link came apart as in the faceplate away from the pin rather than a complete snap. Enough to get him pedalling lightly back the less hilly route to Blessington.

I also phoned for a lift when I completely snapped my single speed and was at the limit of adjustment so couldn't repair. I had a chain tool that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    usually depends on the group set. One for 9 speed will be wider for an 11 speed set up.

Cheers, I might need another so. I've 2 already, one for a compact which I can't remember how big the cassette is, another for a commuter which is 9, and I have an MTB which I hoped I could maybe use the 9 one for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hurrache wrote: »
    Cheers, I might need another so. I've 2 already, one for a compact which I can't remember how big the cassette is, another for a commuter which is 9, and I have an MTB which I hoped I could maybe use the 9 one for.

Yeah I keep a 9 speed handy for commuting, but not for my weekend spins. "Good bike" is an 11 speed, so would imagine my 9 speed might clunk a bit if I was to use it on the 11 speed. Not sure if it'd trash the chain cassette in the process, but might get you home....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Happened twice in ten years on the bike and fixed both with a chain tool

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Broke a few chains over the years - maybe three.
    Two were due to excessive wear. One I remember the most as when it snapped part of it ended up whacking me in the ar$e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I had a horrible experience in France a few years ago.
    Had my daughter on trail gator behind me and chain snapped :(. We were on a rural coastal path maybe 10km from base.

Real pain in the nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I only had a chain break twice that I can recall. Once as a youngster and again about 5 years ago at the church in Howth. The bike shop was open there at the time so they sorted me out.

I usually carry a quick link and on long solo rides I take a chain tool also. I been on several club rides where others have broken chains so I've come to the rescue of several others.

(I also rescued another rider with a broken chain on the Stelvio Pass).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Some 11 speed single use quick-links can be a real pain to fit, where the 10 speed ones are far easier. I carry one of each as the 10 speed works well enough to get you home on an 11 speed setup with some front mech rub if you go into the highest gear. Only had one break myself but helped a couple of other people and failed to help someone with a 9 speed setup once where the chain was too wide for the 9 speed link I had with me (Deore chain, campag 9 speed link).

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Aysedasi

Murphy's law hit me today after reading this thread. Chain snapped cycling home from work and broke the front derailleur arm in half.
    Struggled along breaking the chain and trying to fix for a few minutes when a gentleman in his car called me over and gave me quicklinks.
    If you're reading this I'll happily post up some new quicklinks and thank you very much!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Aysedasi wrote: »
    Murphy's law hit me today after reading this thread. Chain snapped cycling home from work and broke the front derailleur arm in half.
    Struggled along breaking the chain and trying to fix for a few minutes when a gentleman in his car called me over and gave me quicklinks.
    If you're reading this I'll happily post up some new quicklinks and thank you very much!

What a lovely story (apart from the chain breaking that is)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I’m on fixed gear for the past 10 years and it’s happened to me twice. Once close to home when taking off at the lights and then once going over cobblelocks around the docks. The chain link literally exploded. I thought maybe a cobble came loose and jammed under the hub. Massive bang came from it. 8km walk home.

I’m on fixed gear for the past 10 years and it’s happened to me twice. Once close to home when taking off at the lights and then once going over cobblelocks around the docks. The chain link literally exploded. I thought maybe a cobble came loose and jammed under the hub. Massive bang came from it. 8km walk home.
    Was it excessively worn? The reason I ask is that single speed chains are much thicker than other road chains and I would presume much more robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

As a Clydesdale who was rough on bikes I once had a bike with 7 powerlinks.

We had a rule of 2 minutes to fix or we'd give out dogs abuse, once had a lad cycle for another 2 spins before he realised that in his rush he hadn't wrapped the chain through all the rollers and bits correctly.

We gave him dogs abuse until the lad that had a puncture and during the repair found a bloody spoon inside the tyre. He still gets abuse 10 years later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

saccades wrote: »

We had a rule of 2 minutes to fix or we'd give out dogs abuse, once had a lad cycle for another 2 spins before he realised that in his rush he hadn't wrapped the chain through all the rollers and bits correctly.

We gave him dogs abuse until the lad that had a puncture and during the repair found a bloody spoon inside the tyre. He still gets abuse 10 years later.

He rode on a spoon? How the?! In the tyre?!!!!:pac:

... or we'd give out dogs abuse,
    ........We gave him dogs abuse... ... He still gets abuse 10 years later.
    I'd say you're a bundle of fun to go out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If the breakdown was a result of terrible maintenance then fair enough, but not my idea of a fun spin

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Happened twice.
    First time was on a sportif, and the man with the van baled me out.

The second time I managed to free-wheel in my own gate!

Advertisement