Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a MTB 3k

• 21-03-2019 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

Can someone recommend a good value AM/Enduro bike in or around the 3k€ mark? I want something as light as possible with the best specs on 27.5 wheels. I'm presuming buying complete would be cheaper than building my own?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

newmember? wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a good value AM/Enduro bike in or around the 3k€ mark? I want something as light as possible with the best specs on 27.5 wheels. I'm presuming buying complete would be cheaper than building my own?

Canyon Spectral - CF 7.0 model is bang on €3k

YT Capra AL Comp is €3k

Have a 2015 YT Capra AL, can't fault it, the 2019 model is a newer design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

rizzodun wrote: »
    Canyon Spectral - CF 7.0 model is bang on €3k

YT Capra AL Comp is €3k

Have a 2015 YT Capra AL, can't fault it, the 2019 model is a newer design.

Can only see the 29er YT Capra available in my size - medium.

I was looking at this and this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,077 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

My advice still remains the same, check out as many bikes as you can, preferably within your price range, and preferably on trails. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Peter T

Yep, Bike Park Ireland and Ballyhoura have "try before you buy" . I'm sure there's other trail centers at it too but them two are ones I know of

Peter T wrote:
    Yep, Bike Park Ireland and Ballyhoura have "try before you buy" . I'm sure there's other trail centers at it too but them two are ones I know of

Bike park, trailriders(ballyhoura), biking.ie (ticknock, ballinastoe) & the gap, all do rentals, I'd do them all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    My advice still remains the same, check out as many bikes as you can, preferably within your price range, and preferably on trails. Best of luck

Never even crossed my mind - great idea, thanks.

newmember? wrote: »
    Never even crossed my mind - great idea, thanks.

some bike parks rent a couple of different brands, contact them before arrival, explain your situation, they re generally very helpful in such situations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

orbea rallon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You can't go far wrong with a good Trance.. and still have €1 change from your 3k!!

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/ie/trance-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

ec18 wrote: »
    orbea rallon?

None for €3k new as far as I know, otherwise I’d get one myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I picked up my trek remedy 8 for 3k. Great spec for the price and a very capable bike. Bikepark Ireland and trailriders in Ballyhoura both sell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Canyon are holding a demo day at the Gap in Dublin on the 25th May.

The last Demo day at the Gap was excellent I think I rode nearly all of the bikes. I've also never come across anyone riding a rose MTB not sure if that means anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I picked up my trek remedy 8 for 3k. Great spec for the price and a very capable bike. Bikepark Ireland and trailriders in Ballyhoura both sell them.

Where did you pick it up that was a bargain.

xxyyzz wrote:

Mate has one, stunning bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭prunudo

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-escarpe-vrx-mountain-bike-xt-1x11-2019/rp-prod179066

Bit more than your budget but a lot of bike for the money. Also the 29er is a few hundred cheaper at present.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Where did you pick it up that was a bargain.

From trailriders in Ballyhoura. They have a rental fleet of Remedy 7's so you can get a feel for them before you buy. Bikepark Ireland sell them also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

jvan wrote: »
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-escarpe-vrx-mountain-bike-xt-1x11-2019/rp-prod179066

Bit more than your budget but a lot of bike for the money. Also the 29er is a few hundred cheaper at present.

That don't impress me much. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭prunudo

fatbhoy wrote: »
    That don't impress me much. :pac:

No? How come? I was looking at it myself, should i stay away from them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

jvan wrote: »
    No? How come? I was looking at it myself, should i stay away from them?

Ah I'm not saying stay away, but I was just thinking that you could get something like that, or probably better, from Canyon or Rose for less money. For 3.7K you can get a lot more from these manufacturers that sell direct.

I got this Soul Fire 2 from Rose for 3K, and I think it's better than that Vitus: while I used to think Fox were better than Rockshox, now I'm not so sure, and the Rose has more travel, better wheels, brakes, and a few more things.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭El Vino

This month's Mountain Bike Rider magazine has their annual Trail Bike of the year review. There are 2 categories 27.5 and 29er. The 27.5 bikes are all about the £2.5K GBP mark and the 29ers are £3K. So should be very close to your price point. I only read the 29er reviews which was won by the YT Jefsey. I'm pretty much all in on 29ers now.
    These review are useful in letting you get a clear idea of what you get at each price point in terms of spec and always highlight for me the difference between direct sellers. The downside is you don't get test ride before you buy.

I would also check out Propain Tyee 27.5, Propain are a slightly less well known German direct seller. A friend's son races one downhill and they are very well speced for the price
    https://www.propain-bikes.com/en/bike-tyee-carbon/

• Advertisement

El Vino wrote: »
    This month's Mountain Bike Rider magazine has their annual Trail Bike of the year review. There are 2 categories 27.5 and 29er. The 27.5 bikes are all about the £2.5K GBP mark and the 29ers are £3K. So should be very close to your price point. I only read the 29er reviews which was won by the YT Jefsey. I'm pretty much all in on 29ers now.
    These review are useful in letting you get a clear idea of what you get at each price point in terms of spec and always highlight for me the difference between direct sellers. The downside is you don't get test ride before you buy.

I would also check out Propain Tyee 27.5, Propain are a slightly less well known German direct seller. A friend's son races one downhill and they are very well speced for the price
    https://www.propain-bikes.com/en/bike-tyee-carbon/

Propain bikes are really nice alright. I'd worry about the shock position though in Irish conditions. It's right in the firing line of all the crap kicked up by the back wheel.

Advertisement