Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going for tests.

• 21-03-2019 2:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I couldn't find where to put this.

I've been recommended for tests.
    I have forgotten many things lately and I have had a lot of trouble sleeping. My next birthday I will be 41.

I'm forgetting things lately and it is becoming worse.

I was to bring my sister and her daughter to Tara recently, and I couldn't find my keys.

We started talking about something else and the short version is that I spent almost 20 minutes looking for my keys. They were in my left hand, I had seen them but it had not registered that they were what I was looking for.

My sister thought I had been drinking (or she said that) and opted not to go.
    I have had other small issues, when I type them it frightens me more.
    So I won't try to type much of the actual experiences.
    i won't actually type any more of them.

I am frightened more now than I have ever been in my entire life.

I have been drinking today/tonight (I am not a drinker - my sisters comment was more like an excuse and she said so two days later) but I have been drinking most of today. I'm not going to last much longer before I fall asleep.

There are a lot of other issues I don't want to go in to.
    I have also heard that my diet may help.
    I cannot stress enough, I am only posting here because I want serious answers before the tests.

I think I am looking for anyone that has had this happen to them. Is there any likelihood that this could be tiredness?

I'll probably (hopefully) delete this account shortly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if youre female , could it be the menopause?
    it can cause tiredness, forgetfulness and a lot more besides.
    are you working too hard? not getting enough proper rest and decent food? is something else bothering you?

these can all cause a person to be forgetful and tired and ive always found that tiredness exacerbates the forgetfulness.

it would be easy for ne to sau dont worry but you will so i wont.
    have the tests. hopefully they'll be clear and you can get on with living. best of luck and take care

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

I don't have any suggestions for you but I saw your post and just wanted to say best of luck with your tests, and try not to worry too much (hard as that is) - in the absence of other symptoms it is more likely to be something innocuous to do with your lifestyle (such as fatigue) than a serious condition, especially at your age.

Best of luck with your tests x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

No, I'm not female. Sorry. I've not read your entire post yet, and thank you for replying, but I'm now wishing I didn't post it.

I want to delete.

I've been give the worst case scenario by assholes (friends and family) that didn't seem to think i would worry after they said it, and now they have all gone, I'm scaring the sh*t out of myself.

I'm watchign sky arts (Imelda May at the moment) which is keeping me a little calm.

Edit - I finished this post, it didn't quote and there are more answers. I've not read any yet. I feel more comfortable when I'm typing.

I'm going to read everything now

I can't quote.

@ Rubberchikken - my last post was to answer yours.

@ wiggle16 and Jason Slow Marriage thanks for replying so quick. I am close to tears here, very close. But I think that is because the aforementioned assholes (close friends and family :) ) left me with that to think about.
    They said it to me first last Thursday. Tonight (tests appointment was done today) I had a few drinks with them, and then they all pissed off. To say I'm scared is an understatement, and when I saw your two posts (after I was initally responding to Rubberchikken) I panicked more, but also nearly had a tear.. I'm now engrossed in typing as I respond, and listening to Imelda May. When I stop typing, and realise I'm here on my own again................
    I'm thinking whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Memory shortages can be because of many things. It’s hard to diagnose without thorough medical investigation. Try and push for a brain scan to get to the bottom of things. To rule out as much as rule in. I’ve recently been through this scenario where doctors were initially very concerned about some similar symptoms which I had. Now because of a recent scan all the serious stuff has been ruled out and I’ll fullly recover. There is currently a long waiting list but I know the Mater are outsourcing some of their scanning to Charter Medical in Smithfield which is a fabulous facility as I’ve been sent there. The doctors also in the Mater brain institute are very personable, friendly and explain things in a clear and concise way. Also feel free to PM if you want to ask any questions in private.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Memory shortages can be because of many things. It’s hard to diagnose without thorough medical investigation. Try and push for a brain scan to get to the bottom of things. To rule out as much as rule in. I’ve recently been through this scenario where doctors were initially very concerned about some similar symptoms which I had. Now because of a recent scan all the serious stuff has been ruled out and I’ll fullly recover. There is currently a long waiting list but I know the Mater are outsourcing some of their scanning to Charter Medical in Smithfield which is a fabulous facility as I’ve been sent there. The doctors also in the Mater brain institute are very personable, friendly and explain things in a clear and concise way. Also feel free to PM if you want to ask any questions in private.
    Thanks, I am hoping it is due to something else.

(I'm not stressed (or do not think I am - but may be now)), but I do have trouble sleeping, so I am hoping that may be the cause, or part of it.

I am going to go to bed shortly, and leave my phone downstairs.

I've been told diet might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My symptoms were brought on due to a rather stressful work situation, I was at this time too having a beer or two, too many to help me sleep. My sleeping had become cronic for some time and it was helping , also my appetite wasn’t all that either. Poor vitamin intake can effect memory, ask you doc if supliments might be a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Nothing to add really but just hang in there, hope for the best and take it easy on the drink. It's not going to help any tests. You seem like a decent guy and you should reach out to someone if you feel you need to talk.

I just woke up. (Took this week off work).
    I am terrified..
    No doubt it is the alcohol, but there is the underlying fact..
    My sister was/is looking out for me. Today they are coming over at 4 but she has a habit of explaining (as if I didn't already grasp it) everything to me. I hate that part of her. She is the absolute worst person in the world to be anywhere near when something bad happens (for me anyway).
    My heart is racing. I asked for this thread to be deleted last night. I am kind of glad it's not. I haven't spoken to any of my friends, or any other members of my family. Nobody knows yet other than the handful (I think 4). But I am panicking and paranoid. About everything.
    Hangover is not helping obviously, but I can't help it.
    Today isn't a good day, and I know that's driven by drinking last night.
    Going to to view forums as normal, watch tv, listen to the radio and try and play games (finding that more difficult than anything :) )
    I'm clinging on to diet change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Suckit wrote:
    I just woke up. (Took this week off work). I am terrified.. No doubt it is the alcohol, but there is the underlying fact.. My sister was/is looking out for me. Today they are coming over at 4 but she has a habit of explaining (as if I didn't already grasp it) everything to me. I hate that part of her. She is the absolute worst person in the world to be anywhere near when something bad happens (for me anyway). My heart is racing. I asked for this thread to be deleted last night. I am kind of glad it's not. I haven't spoken to any of my friends, or any other members of my family. Nobody knows yet other than the handful (I think 4). But I am panicking and paranoid. About everything. Hangover is not helping obviously, but I can't help it. Today isn't a good day, and I know that's driven by drinking last night. Going to to view forums as normal, watch tv, listen to the radio and try and play games (finding that more difficult than anything ) I'm clinging on to diet change.

How are you doing tonight?

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    How are you doing tonight?

I went out for a long walk today. I arrived home at around 7pm. Then I went to make my dinner, but was uninterested in it, and just fried some chicken and made chips instead (That was probably down to the hangover).
    I fell asleep on the couch at some stage before 8:30 (I have texts), and I just woke now.

I think I am more worried about the idea of the tests than anything else.

Obviously I'm worried about the results, but my sister is a pessimist, and I can't stress this enough... She is not the ideal person to be around for this sort of thing.

I have calmed down (A lot) since this morning, but I can feel grey hairs sprouting on either side of my head.

I'm good tonight, going to listen to John Creedon on rte player and hopefully doze off before 1am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

It may be easy for me to say but try not to worry, or to listen to diagnosis from others. This could be something as simple as a senior moment blown out of proportion. I have done similar things in my early forties and just put it down to having too much on my mind .

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

I hope you are going for blood tests as part of these tests. Especially a full blood count, thyroid function test and renal, liver and bone profile tests. Thyroid and parathyroid problems can be picked up on these blood tests. These can cause memory problems and sleep problems. I have an underactive thyroid and hyperparathyroidism which is the main reason I am awake at this hour every night! My memory is chronic. But these hormone problems can be fixed. I'm unfortunate in that I have a rare presentation of a rare disease and had surgery that was only partially successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Hi Suckit! My heart goes out to you at this time. Two things I have to say may sound a bit much, but here goes anyway. Thinking the worst before your test is not helping in any way. In one of your posts, you mentioned a hangover. Resorting to alcohol can't be much help either, IMO. - So much for the tough-talking!

Seems like a coincidence, that earlier today I was idly clicking on a list of 20 ill-effects of not drinking enough clear water. Strangely, many of the effects you mention above, such as forgetfulness, poor concentration, not sleeping etc, were on the list. They recommended taking a glass of water about an hour and a half before going to bed, allowing time for it to pass through your system before actually getting into bed. This, apparently, greatly improves our ability to get off to sleep. It says that when we are becoming dehydrated due to not drinking enough water, we reach out for food or sugary things, in the mistaken belief that that's going to make us feel better. In my case, I reach out for tea, which deep down, I know is not doing me any good. Why don't we both have a glass of clear water? Can't do any harm and may even do some good. If it helped reduce some of your anxiety, dear OP, that would be a blessing. Might I suggest respectfully that you bring some water with you to have as you're awaiting your test? Who knows, it may help you feel calmer and even "perform" better in your test.

Well done on reaching out to us here and sharing your concerns! Best of luck and God Bless. You are stronger than you realize. Love! Hugs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Try not to worry about the tests, they might actually find an issue and once its found you can address it, either yourself or else with the help of medication.

It might be a blessing in disguise, try to remain positive.

Advertisement