Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birmingham airport taxi

• 21-03-2019 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭

Hi. Am travelling on a short trip to Birmingham in a few weeks (2 adults, 2 kids). We need to get from the airport to Drayton manor and back. I’ve hired cars the last couple of times we went, but I think this time I’d rather just taxi it.
    Is there any advantage cost wise to pre- booking the taxi, or is it likely to be the same price just to get one at the airport?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The one you book in advance will cost more because he has to wait for you and he may also have to pay extra for parking because he can't wait at the regular taxi stand. Plus you will have to walk a distance to the taxi, this varies from airport to airport. If your flight is early he might not be there yet and if it's delayed, it will cost you more.

I know it's nice to see someone standing there holding a card with your name on it but for an airport the size of Birmingham and with no special requirements, I'd say you'd better off getting a taxi from the regular rank outside the terminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

coylemj wrote: »
    The one you book in advance will cost more because he has to wait for you and he may also have to pay extra for parking because he can't wait at the regular taxi stand. Plus you will have to walk a distance to the taxi, this varies from airport to airport. If your flight is early he might not be there yet and if it's delayed, it will cost you more.

I know it's nice to see someone standing there holding a card with your name on it but for an airport the size of Birmingham and with no special requirements, I'd say you'd better off getting a taxi from the regular rank outside the terminal.

That’s what I thought. I didn’t want to do myself on price, if it was going to be a huge difference, but I certainly don’t need anyone to stand around with my name on a card!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Price an Uber ?

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    Price an Uber ?

I second Uber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    Price an Uber ?

I’ve never used Uber, it didn’t even cross my mind. I’ll price it, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

+1 for the uber to and from Birmingham Airport, much better than the black cab type scenario.

Personally i use this airport quite a bit and i find for best value i get the monorail to the International Rail Station and call it from there. This saves you (and Mr. Uber driver) having to pay the £3 short term parking charge, but may not be practical or worth it with 2 children in tow.

In my experience too the uber drivers will sometimes accept your fare, then drop it again when I guess they figure out if its worth the fee or not, which can be frustrating (my fare is usually around half an hour drive for them)

They also now have a pre pay kiosk for cabs now at Birmingham, i havent used it personally, but it does have a website here that you can get a quote from? Could be a solid comparison for your Uber quote.

Advertisement