Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking for electric cables behind plasterboard

Options
  • 21-03-2019 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

I just bought a pretty heavy mirror and want to hang it inside the front door under the fuse box so I presume there will be alot of cables behind that plasterboard. Will an electric cable tester be sufficient to make sure I don't hit a cable when drilling? If so, could anyone recommend one? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What is the wall construction? brick or stud work?

The plaster board isn't going to carry the weight of the mirror so your going to need to make a hole in it. Make a hole with a screw driver and have a feel around inside, you should hit brick. Once you hit brick you should be ok to drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Most cables enter The fuseboard at the top through the ceiling slab so there shouldnt be a lot underneath the board itself. There might be a drop to a socket directly under the fuseboard particular if its in the hall. If you know a spark maybe get him to pop the cover off the fuseboard and see iff the cBles enter from the top or some might come in the back depending on the route

Advertisement