Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie!

Options
  • 21-03-2019 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, just got my new road bike on the bike to work scheme. It's a merida scultura 300, first ever road bike. Could you recommend some good loop routes in the wicklow mountains and what should i bring with me on a 30-40k cycle? I presume that would be doable for a complete beginner going at their own pace?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Don't know of any loops but take your time, be careful and considerate on the road, bring some water and a spare tube (learn how to change a puncture). Look around and enjoy the scenery and places the bike brings you, lovely part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Spare tube, Multi-tool, tyre levers, a drink,some food (e.g. a banana), mobile phone and some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭G1032

Mini pump to inflate the spare tube 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Not too sure about routes, but as the owner of a Scultra 400, get ready to spend a lot of time on it. They're lovely to ride!

For supplies, multitool, tube, something to inflate it, and the knowhow to use it. Then, for that kind of distance, hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more. Fluids will be important!

Or, aside from the nice bike bit, what everyone else said!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Practice changing a tube at home before you get a puncture with no idea what to do on the side of the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A 40k loop @ 300m is very different to a 40k loop @ 2000m. If you're totally new I'd start by heading towards the DART and then following the coast to DL and home, then a bit further and home. When you hit Wicklow town its time to start adding some climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Thanks folks. I was in the Phoenix park earlier and did 17.3km in 38min as a first spin. God it's a lovely bike to ride. I know it's fairly flat so it won't be as easy on the hills but looking forward to getting good use from it.

Do most experienced riders use anything on the saddle to prevent sore butt?! Even with the padded bottoms, it's still far from comfy!

What do you use to carry all the bits and bobs mentioned above?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can use a saddlebag, or get a second bottle cage and get a 'bottle' made to hold the spares.
    though some people carry them in their pockets.

714O8cXXRSL._SX466_.jpg

For comfort some use chamois cream. Bike fit, saddle height and angle, quality of your bibs all come before that though. And time spent. You build arse endurance over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Padded bibshorts or Bibtights and chamois cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Wailin wrote: »
    Thanks folks. I was in the Phoenix park earlier and did 17.3km in 38min as a first spin. God it's a lovely bike to ride. I know it's fairly flat so it won't be as easy on the hills but looking forward to getting good use from it.

Do most experienced riders use anything on the saddle to prevent sore butt?! Even with the padded bottoms, it's still far from comfy!

What do you use to carry all the bits and bobs mentioned above?

Decent shorts and a decent saddle (what is decent varies from person to person) but you'll get to that!

Pockets tend to be good for carrying things. Get a cycling jersey with pockets on the back, or maybe a saddle bag if you prefer.

And for the love of god don't find out the hard way why you don't wear jocks under your shorts!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again everyone, I'll probably have more questions in the near future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Witch hazel 2-3 times a week to toughen things up. But you will get used to it eventually, keep everything clean and change out of kit quickly after a spin.

A saddlebag is very handy. 2 tubes (replace on the roadside, repair by the fireside), 2 plastic levers, a micro puncture repair kit as a JIC on longer spins, mini tool with chain breaker and the right powerlink. Oh and a couple of tenners too for an emergency. The need for cake is not an emergency in most cases.

I then ride with back left pocket as phone/key. Middle as gilet/clothing extras like arm warmets/rubbish bin for gel wrappers etc and right as food pocket. Find what works so you don't have to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

.......Do most experienced riders use anything on the saddle to prevent sore butt?! Even with the padded bottoms, it's still far from comfy!

Rub some HTFU cream on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

saccades wrote: »
    Oh and a couple of tenners too for an emergency.

The paper money can also double as a tyre boot if you get a large enough hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

if your around wicklow id use the old n11 from wicklow town (bee hive pub) to arklow. nice and flat and and really safe as there is a big hard shoulder on it. its also a good ride to see how your progressing as you can compare times.
    once you get confident and use to the bike there are lovely loops around roundwood from there. but once you get up the hills its view after view.
    Your bum will take a few weeks to get use to the saddle and even after a winter break it will get sore again but again only for a few rides.
    i would defo change your tubes / tyres at home first and watch youtube videos .
    Would also be a in favour of bringing a few bob with you .
    enjoy

dickidy wrote: »
    if your around wicklow id use the old n11 from wicklow town (bee hive pub) to arklow. nice and flat and and really safe as there is a big hard shoulder on it. its also a good ride to see how your progressing as you can compare times.
    once you get confident and use to the bike there are lovely loops around roundwood from there. but once you get up the hills its view after view.
    Your bum will take a few weeks to get use to the saddle and even after a winter break it will get sore again but again only for a few rides.
    i would defo change your tubes / tyres at home first and watch youtube videos .
    Would also be a in favour of bringing a few bob with you .
    enjoy

Thanks for that. What distance would it be on that route from the beehive pub to arklow and back?

I do a lot of hillwalking in wicklow so i know the area well particularly around the sally gap. Would it be too much as a beginner to do the sally gap from roundwood or laragh? Hills might to too extreme at this early stage?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one thing i would say - if you're tackling hills on new legs, spin, don't grind. i.e. choose an easy gear, easier than you think you'll need. harder gears will tire you out much faster and are harder on the knees.

your cardiovascular system (which is what you rely on more when on easier gears) recovers better than your legs, which take up more of the work with harder gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

Thanks for that. What distance would it be on that route from the beehive pub to arklow and back?

I do a lot of hillwalking in wicklow so i know the area well particularly around the sally gap. Would it be too much as a beginner to do the sally gap from roundwood or laragh? Hills might to too extreme at this early stage?

Not if your in roundwood I wouldn't think so. But even if you start by cycling around roundwood you will be able to Gage were you are as regards the gap hills. Beehive to arklow is around 50 k maybe I can remember now but it's lovely and flat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

36km.

Tough hills are tough and are depressing when they beat you. We can only guess at your fitness, try old N11 one way and coast road back for extra hills a few times to build stamina.

So just wondering what might cause lower back discomfort while cycling? I was out today on the bike for an hour, did 25km. As the ride wore on I started to feel discomfort in the lower back and it got worse gradually. I spent most of the ride in the lowered position, apart from climbs. Is it a set up issue and maybe I need to adjust saddle height, handlebars etc?

you may be more stretched out on the bike than you're used to being?
    i used to get lower back pain, especially when churning away into a headwind, and found sitting up and stretching helped (though you'll probably want to work on your balance before you start trying this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

So just wondering what might cause lower back discomfort while cycling? I was out today on the bike for an hour, did 25km. As the ride wore on I started to feel discomfort in the lower back and it got worse gradually. I spent most of the ride in the lowered position, apart from climbs. Is it a set up issue and maybe I need to adjust saddle height, handlebars etc?
    you may be more stretched out on the bike than you're used to being?
    i used to get lower back pain, especially when churning away into a headwind, and found sitting up and stretching helped (though you'll probably want to work on your balance before you start trying this)

I reckon this is bang on the money! I occasionally ride a size 58 frame (which is wayyyyy to big for me) and I have the same problem, its just from being too stretched out on the bike.

I'd say if you're new to a road bike, give it a little time to see if you get used to the position, it does take a while to get used to it. If that doesn't work, flipping your stem around or moving your saddle forward on the rails might help too. A new, shorter stem is a cheap enough investment too!

Hi guys, what GPS would you recommend for the bike? I've used my phone the last few times but it's too big really and not ideal.

Cheers Ed. Been looking them up, would they be better than the Garmin edge 520? Similar price and Garmin is colour.

i was lucky enough to bag a garmin edge 25 for €45 in aldi or lidl, and it does the job for me. basic, but i don't need much more than the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Garmin Edge 820 was only about £140 on Amazon UK earlier this week, fantastic deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I'd buy a very basic speedometer/odometer first and then upgrade to a gps if you feel you need it. To be honest they're only a toy and the bike itself is probably enough of a toy for the first few months.

Advertisement