Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭deisedude

Itziger wrote: »
    You go over on your ankle, it swells up badly and you can't run the next day.

Or a zombie outbreak in the Glen River park :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

deisedude wrote: »
    Or a zombie outbreak in the Glen River park :p

Don't worry, they mostly come at night... mostly :)

If anyone needs any help to get there, I could meet you by the Opera House that morning to head to the park. Or alternatively there's the 207 bus to the park from the city centre.

Any indications yet on whether the courses are changing from last year?

I ran most of the course for the half on Saturday, no sign of the mile markers being painted yet but it can't be too far off now.

Spotted this afternoon on a trip to check out the newly opened Tramore Valley Park, almost on top of last year's sign.

481230.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

That's just after coming up off the link road (on the course)? - I'll have strategically placed cheering section there, that's probably one of the steepest bits of the course :o

100% correct!

I'll keep a look out for you on the day, running the half with a friend of mine. Both of us should be wearing Sanctuary Runner t-shirts and will be well back the field.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    100% correct!

I'll keep a look out for you on the day, running the half with a friend of mine. Both of us should be wearing Sanctuary Runner t-shirts and will be well back the field.

There'll be 300+ of us wearing those tops :p

A question for all;
    I'm doing my first ever marathon & planning on sticking with the pacers (also in Sanctuary runner singlets!)
    Recently did
    16/05/2019 Half 2 hr 02 mins
    04/05/2019 Half 2 hr 03 mins 05 s
    Thinking to head with the 4 hr 30 min pacers or is that being a bit too relaxed and should I push for the 4 15 min?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

jackc101 wrote: »
    A question for all;
    I'm doing my first ever marathon & planning on sticking with the pacers (also in Sanctuary runner singlets!)
    Recently did
    Thinking to head with the 4 hr 30 min pacers or is that being a bit too relaxed and should I push for the 4 15 min?

What time did you set when you started your training plan? If it's 4.30 then stick to the pacers and push on towards the end if you feel comfortable. Don't change to 4.15 on a whim as you may burn yourself out and struggle towards the end.

Difference between running 4.30 & 4.15 marathons is half a minute faster pacing per mile. Normally, calculating marathon time off a HM is 2xHM plus 20 mins - but thats only a guide.

Given it's your first marathon I'd probably suggest the 4:30 gang although 4:15 certainly wouldn't be out of the question given your time for the half. You could always split the difference & stick with 4:30 'til halfway & then up the pace a little if you're feeling good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

A question for all;
    Recently did

How did these two runs feel? Were you pushing it or was it nice and easy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Given that the 2nd half of Cork is slightly harder due to hills I’d be saving yourself for that. I’d be going out with the 4:30 guys and you should be able to push on then later on. Also, if it’s very hot and high humidity (which we had last year) you would be better off taking it handy at the start.

Thanks all, that settles it for me, 4:30 pacers it is

Thanks all, that settles it for me, 4:30 pacers it is

Most important thing is to enjoy your first marathon and blowing up or hitting the wall because you went out to fast is not pleasant.

Guess what I stumbled across this evening :)

481312.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Doing my first half in Cork this weekend and looking forward to it. Only ever done 10ks up to now and my pb is 39:55. I'm aiming to go with the 90 min pacer. Is that ambitious and would I be better off hanging back and then picking the pace up later on if I've got it in the legs? Conscious of not blowing up as many on here have warned of!

Doing my first half in Cork this weekend and looking forward to it. Only ever done 10ks up to now and my pb is 39:55. I'm aiming to go with the 90 min pacer. Is that ambitious and would I be better off hanging back and then picking the pace up later on if I've got it in the legs? Conscious of not blowing up as many on here have warned of!

That 10km time would certainly indicate you should be doing a 90 minute half marathon time .... assuming you have fully trained for it. There’s a big difference between 10km and 21km in terms of endurance and the race time calculators such as runfastcoach and McMillan tend to have a larger margin of error the longer the distance. It’s hard to tell you go for it without knowing your training but if you have followed a good plan and have plenty miles in the legs then I’d guess you would be fine with the 90 minute pacers.

Edited to add that if you do go with the pacers I’d tend to leave them go going up the hills and reel them back in afterwards again. They are used to running much faster times.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Kellygirl wrote: »
    That 10km time would certainly indicate you should be doing a 90 minute half marathon time .... assuming you have fully trained for it. There’s a big difference between 10km and 21km in terms of endurance and the race time calculators such as runfastcoach and McMillan tend to have a larger margin of error the longer the distance. It’s hard to tell you go for it without knowing your training but if you have followed a good plan and have plenty miles in the legs then I’d guess you would be fine with the 90 minute pacers.

Thanks. Training has not been nearly what I'd hoped between holidays, illness and whatnot. Did 10.5 miles last Sunday and that's the longest I've gone. I have been getting out a few times a week but in fits and starts and not got nearly as many longer runs in as I should have.

Feck it I think I'll just go with the 90min pace and see how I hold up!

Thanks. Training has not been nearly what I'd hoped between holidays, illness and whatnot. Did 10.5 miles last Sunday and that's the longest I've gone. I have been getting out a few times a week but in fits and starts and not got nearly as many longer runs in as I should have.

Feck it I think I'll just go with the 90min pace and see how I hold up!

Have a good think about it. You could hold back a little and once you get to the top of Farranlea road / Mount Mercy area, you are downhill and flat all the way. You’ve a nice 4.5/5 miles to speed up then and catch up on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

I had a look at the route description. It is described as fairly flat. There are hills at 7, 17 & 21.
    Just wondering if someone who has run the course before has a few more descriptions.
    It is really a good fair flat course?
    Is the hill at 21 miles hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

useurename wrote: »
    I had a look at the route description. It is described as fairly flat. There are hills at 7, 17 & 21.
    Just wondering if someone who has run the course before has a few more descriptions.

The course isn't crazy tough by any stretch but it's not 'flat' either. There are lots of flat stretches, it's just not Rotterdam/Berlin.

The thing about the last climb is a) quite obviously the distance you've run by then and b) the mental challenge that is running away from the finish. You'll have to be in good shape physically and tough mentally. Tell yourself that this is the last climb, just hang in there and get to the end of Model Farm rd. At least it's not literally the end anymore. Then, once you turn down Inchagoggin Lane (sp??) you're heading for home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 SwordsRunner

I would say it’s a bit tougher than say, Dublin because of when the hills come. 19 miles then a double at 22 mean it’s tough precisely when you’re at or near empty glycogen.

Mile 7 is the drag out of the tunnel. Just slow down and it’s not too bad. Another small drag up the slip road to Mahon Point then. Nice little downhill for a bit into Mahon and then you are totally flat around by the water until you have to go over the footbridge which is obviously short but a pull. There’s a very short sharp steep hill from the link up to Turners Cross and that could be mile 17. There’s another couple of hills at mile 19 to Torytop road and then 21 up Farranlea road and to the model farm road. There’s a lovely downhill section for mile 20 before you hit Farranlea road. You’ve downhill then after that through the last relay change. Another downhill and then you are onto Inchigaggin Lane and completely flat all the way to the end.

None of the hills are bad but it’s where they come in the course and you are on tired legs. I ran Farranlea road today but was just after 5 miles and I flew up it whereas normally you hit it on tired legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Did my last run last Friday and had to end it early due to a hip pain. Haven't done anything since. Went to yoga last night and will probably go again tomorrow. Should I be doing any running this week or should test it out on an easy 5k? Still doesn't feel right. Not sore though. Not sure if I'm just being paranoid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭deisedude

hermano wrote: »
    Did my last run last Friday and had to end it early due to a hip pain. Haven't done anything since. Went to yoga last night and will probably go again tomorrow. Should I be doing any running this week or should test it out on an easy 5k? Still doesn't feel right. Not sore though. Not sure if I'm just being paranoid

Fitnes wise you shouldn't lose anything in a week so I wouldn't be worried about that.

It may just be taper tantrums but probably best to just test it on a short, slow run to see if the pain is still there

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

A question for all;
    Recently did

Hi there,
    I was in the same boat as you. I did a half in 1h 48 at Christmas and a half in 1h 44 six weeks ago and was not sure what pacers to go with. I'm going to stick with the 4 hour pacers and try to stick it out with them until the end.
    I completed one marathon in 2007 but it was a disaster. I was under trained and way too eager for the first 10 miles. I suffered badly for the last 90 minutes of it and finished in 4h 47. Like other posters have said head out with the 4:30 pacers for the first half and if you are feeling strong you can push on.

This year:
    If I finish under 4 I will be ecstatic.
    If I finish in under 4h 30 I will be delighted
    If I finish I will be content.

For me at the moment I am just happy that I have put in 18 weeks of solid training and I'm felling good. Completing the marathon will be a bonus but actually completing this period of training has been so satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭thefa

Hi, running the relay on a team of 5 with limited experience of running races.

Would anyone have any opinions on which legs would be the most difficult?

LEG 1: Start (Patrick’s Street) to near Silversprings Hotel: 4.7 miles (7.6km)
    LEG 2: Silversprings to Ringmahon Road: 5.5 miles (8.8km)
    LEG 3: Ringmahon to Victoria Road: 5.8 miles (9.3km)
    LEG 4: Victoria Road to Model Farm Road: 5.7 miles (9.2km)
    LEG 5: Model Farm Road to finishing line (Patrick’s Street): 4.6 miles (7.4km)

thefa wrote: »
    Hi, running the relay on a team of 5 with limited experience of running races.

Would anyone have any opinions on which legs would be the most difficult?

LEG 1: Start (Patrick’s Street) to near Silversprings Hotel: 4.7 miles (7.6km)
    LEG 2: Silversprings to Ringmahon Road: 5.5 miles (8.8km)
    LEG 3: Ringmahon to Victoria Road: 5.8 miles (9.3km)
    LEG 4: Victoria Road to Model Farm Road: 5.7 miles (9.2km)
    LEG 5: Model Farm Road to finishing line (Patrick’s Street): 4.6 miles (7.4km)

Leg 4 in that it has the most drags /hills in it BUT it’s the one with the most support for the entire stage. Leg 2 is probably quite lonely in terms of support. So is Leg 3 but it’s nice along by the water etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Coming from limerick direction. Where would you recommend parking? And on street parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Is there anywhere to go for a shower after the half marathon? Happy to pay if necessary.

• Advertisement

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    Coming from limerick direction. Where would you recommend parking? And on street parking?

If coming from Limerick and wanted on street parking that’s easy to get away again you could consider somewhere like Wellington Road off Patrick’s Hill or Blackpool and walk in and out. The park and ride is the opposite side of the city though you’d be able to go through the tunnel before and after to get there. Payrick’s what carpark could be an option if you can’t get on street. Not sure what time the quays close though.

Advertisement