Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2019

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to go for a shower after the half marathon? Happy to pay if necessary.

Ring the Clayton Cork City and ask. I would have paid a fiver there previous years for a shower after race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great description of the route here. Well worth a read. https://www.facebook.com/1560571180834462/posts/2230108450547395?s=562215635&sfns=mo

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

I have to say this is the most attention I've paid to the weather since my wedding day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone on Sun!

Don't forget Glen River parkrun if you'd like to stretch your legs tomorrow & are staying in town or Ballincollig/Mallow/Castle Demense if that's closer.

Another year, another pathetic "goodie" bag from the city council

In other news the weather is looking pretty good. Overcast, not too hot and no rain. Might be a little windy in parts but you can't have everything I guess!

Best of luck to everyone running tomorrow

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »

In other news the weather is looking pretty good. Overcast, not too hot and no rain. Might be a little windy in parts but you can't have everything I guess!

The expo was smaller again this year too. It’s a shame that there’s not much hype. It’s kind of like the organizers are doing the bare minimum when you compare to the likes of Limerick.

Weather is looking quite good and hopefully we’ll be blown back in to town along the straight road with the forecasted winds!

Kellygirl wrote: »

The expo was smaller again this year too. It’s a shame that there’s not much hype. It’s kind of like the organizers are doing the bare minimum when you compare to the likes of Limerick.

Weather is looking quite good and hopefully we’ll be blown back in to town along the straight road with the forecasted winds!

Hopefully an event company comes on board for next year. Compared to Limerick and Galway Bay it's very amateurish

Hopefully an event company comes on board for next year. Compared to Limerick and Galway Bay it's very amateurish

It really is. I see in the official programme it says that they race director is leaving. I really hope somebody good takes over for next year.

How did people get on today?

I had a good day. Wind wasn’t as bad as I feared. The organization seemed fine. The volunteers were great. They were taking the lids off the bottles on Farranlea road which I would have preferred not to happen as I carry bottles from one station to the next but otherwise I thought there were no issues. I’d love more crowds on the way round but the route doesn’t really lend itself to that outside the city and residential areas. Also, the lack of advertising and co-existing events isn’t going to entice people out if they don’t know about it.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    How did people get on today?

I had a good day. Wind wasn’t as bad as I feared. The organization seemed fine. The volunteers were great. They were taking the lids off the bottles on Farranlea road which I would have preferred not to happen as I carry bottles from one station to the next but otherwise I thought there were no issues. I’d love more crowds on the way round but the route doesn’t really lend itself to that outside the city and residential areas. Also, the lack of advertising and co-existing events isn’t going to entice people out if they don’t know about it.

Not a good day at the office. Stomach turned after taking a gel at mile 7 and felt like crap after that. Had to call it a day at Centre park road after walk running the preceding 4 miles. Disappointing after a good training cycle but there will be better days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

It was my first half and really enjoyed it I have to say. Weather was great if a little breezy but it meant the last 3 miles were flat with the wind behind you all the way home - ideal! Missed out on my target by 20 secs but it's something to aim for next time. Lovely support all the way around. The start was very relaxed, no jostling, loads of space. Didn't really care about the "goodie bag", not sure why people think that's important. The tshirt is one of the best I've got at any race. I liked the fact that at the end the water was in reusable tumblers and again that it was very relaxed and easy to exit and find your people.

Not a good day at the office. Stomach turned after taking a gel at mile 7 and felt like crap after that. Had to call it a day at Centre park road after walk running the preceding 4 miles. Disappointing after a good training cycle but there will be better days!

Ah no. Sorry to hear that.
    It was my first half and really enjoyed it I have to say. Weather was great if a little breezy but it meant the last 3 miles were flat with the wind behind you all the way home - ideal! Missed out on my target by 20 secs but it's something to aim for next time. Lovely support all the way around. The start was very relaxed, no jostling, loads of space. Didn't really care about the "goodie bag", not sure why people think that's important. The tshirt is one of the best I've got at any race. I liked the fact that at the end the water was in reusable tumblers and again that it was very relaxed and easy to exit and find your people.

Well done. The end was great. I loved the taps with running water too. Nice to wash the salt off my face. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

If it's any consolation I never made the start line. Waited until the last minute but no amount of rest or stretching would get rid of the my hip niggle. The last big run I did I had to call it a day at 20k due to shooting pain up my hip. It was my first marathon so wanted to enjoy it so no point trying to power through it for the sake of it.

I'll dust myself my off. Head to the physio and look for the next option. Anyone any ideas? Probably end up doing the galway bay even though its quiet a boring quote. Its next door and quiet flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Had a nice jog around the half course, been running it with a friend for the last few years, he managed to shave a few mins of last years time so happy out. Support was great I have to say & wearing Sanctuary Runners t-shirts got us a few extra shouts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Bit hillier than expected on the second half. Could do with a few more distance markers, especially since my garmin lost contact in the tunnel. Not much crowd support out on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    Bit hillier than expected on the second half. Could do with a few more distance markers, especially since my garmin lost contact in the tunnel. Not much crowd support out on the course.

Crowds were well down this year I thought. Best guess is half the city we're hungover after the champions league game the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

My first full marathon, delighted to say the very least. Following on from the suggestions here I was around but not with the 4:30 pacers.
    Lost them after the rendezvous bar hill, i.e. the last bit of hill but kept on going to hit 4:35 and finished strong with a smile on my face.

Got some extra motivation wearing the Sanctuary runners top and really enjoyed the crowd support.
    Favourite sign was the hilarious boll**x at about the 26 mile mark on North Main street;
    'It seems like an awful long way to run for a free banana' :D:P

I may do another one....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

jackc101 wrote: »
    My first full marathon, delighted to say the very least. Following on from the suggestions here I was around but not with the 4:30 pacers.
    Lost them after the rendezvous bar hill, i.e. the last bit of hill but kept on going to hit 4:35 and finished strong with a smile on my face.

Got some extra motivation wearing the Sanctuary runners top and really enjoyed the crowd support.
    Favourite sign was the hilarious boll**x at about the 26 mile mark on North Main street;
    'It seems like an awful long way to run for a free banana' :D:P

I may do another one....

Hehe. That'll be "I just registered for XXXXX..." before the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

Hi Milky88,

In fairness you've given yourself plenty of time to prepare for it. The best thing you could do is join a club. That's not always possible of course.

To develop a plan, we'd need to know what is your training level. At what regularity do you run and what type of mileage are you consistently running?

The key to your marathon is training is your weekend long run. Depending on your experience, this will get up to the 20 mile mark in May.

Also, you will need to be able to run a half marathon in 1:50 to hit the sub-4.

Best of luck with your training. You won't regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

milky88 wrote: »
    Would love to run the cork marathon,
    Would like to do a sub 4hr, would anyone on here have any advice on creating a training plan? Appreciate any advice

Hi Milky88,

Here is the thread for the DCM mentored novices 2019 thread which have various plans created for different levels. If you follow the boards plan, it will serve you well. There is loads of useful information in that thread as well

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110116487

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

milky88 wrote: »
    Would love to run the cork marathon,
    Would like to do a sub 4hr, would anyone on here have any advice on creating a training plan? Appreciate any advice

how much training are you currently doing?
    you're 20 weeks out so it's certainly do-able, most training plans are around 18 weeks long and involve at least 4 days running per week, if you can commit to that there's nothing to stop you.

Advertisement