Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If there's a problem with your card a paper application wouldn't work either as they stopped taking cash and cheques years ago. So instead of wasting your energy moaning, use it to sort your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Thunderwump

This.

You can express your objections and try to fight the system as much as you like - it won’t get you your passport any quicker. Recommend you put your energy into finding yourself a solution for the card, rather than focussing on an un-winnable fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rhd_7

Does anyone know the process for correcting the spelling of the name on an online passport renewal (for a child)?

I spelt my daughter's name wrong - and only just spotted it.

There doesn't seem to be any way to alter the application and nothing in the DFA FAQ on how to update an application.

I'm tempted to simply submit a new application, but I don't know if a second application for a renewal will mess up the system.

I'll phone the helpline in the morning, but have the fear that I won't be able to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Usually they will contact you if there's any errors, I've had a name issue before and they called me. I presume though sometimes it could slip through the cracks and not get noticed but I really hope this wouldn't be the case! I would just keep trying to call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

It should get noticed and you’ll be contacted via email regarding it, do not send another application. In the meantime, you could try calling/web chat to let them know about your mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 rhd_7

I was able to get through to them this morning.

They said calling them was the right thing to do - as the spelling mismatch would have been detected much later and would have resulted in a call at that stage anyway.

They were able to re-issue a link to create a new " Child Passport Identity and Consent Form". With the new link sent by email I was able to re-enter all those details again and correct the mistake and print out a corrected consent form and get it witnessed again.

So if someone is in the same situation - incorrect details that appear on the consent form can be fixed by phoning up for a "New Consent Form Request".

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bluegiant4

What are the latest turnaround times for folks? We submitted a first time passport for our son on the 10th of January and we are still waiting. We cannot get through to the passport office by phone or via the webchat. Should we reach out to a TD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭idc

There is an alternative for the general public - "Post Passport" (used to be called Passport Express) and that involves Paper Forms and visiting a post office where you can pay in cash. Reason it was renamed is that "Passport Online" is faster!

People are waiting weeks/months using Post Passport , whereas Adult renewals using Passport online sometimes takes only 2-3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 colliehandy

Hi folks,

Sorry if it's been asked a thousand times before but looking for some help. My girlfriend is applying for her first Irish passport. She was born in England but her mother was born in NI. The problem is that I can see from here (https://www.dfa.ie/passports/documentary-requirements/anadult/firsttimeapplicantbornabroad/#d.en.357801) that birth certificates for her mother and herself are required to be originals.

Now I ordered replacements from the respective GROs (UK & NI) for my girlfriend and her mother respectively but both are certified copies. We can't locate the originals and just wondering if we are totally snookered here.

Has anyone been through the process and had a similar experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's very unfair tbh, glad they finally renamed it but when we applied it was 'passport express', we knew and were happy with the 8 week proposed wait but we're into our 10th week now, all the time hearing about on-line renewals being turned around in days, it was a first time passport for a baby so no on-line option.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

As far as I know, the replacement certificates that you ordered would be considered "originals". That means that they are not photocopies. The term "certified copy" means that it is a certified copy of the entry in the birth register. Does it say something like "This is a Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth". If so, then it does not mean that your certificate is a like a photocopy, it is actually an original Birth Cert. I think that is the way all Birth Certs are printed in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 colliehandy

Thank you for the response! It says exactly that on the cert I received: "Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth". Hopefully that is sufficient!

These should do, as far as I’m aware English certs are printed on pinkish paper, is that what you have? Don’t forget the other documents and tell her to make sure the witness can be contacted, loads on this thread have had delays because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭idc

For anyone trying to ring the passport office i followed a method someone suggested in twitter - start ringing at 9am. Once you hear the recording message about the lines are busy just hang up and try again. And I mean try again continually. After about 27 calls in the space of 30 minutes I got into the queue. On reason its hard to get through and on to the queue is seems like they keep the queues short so your not on hold for like an hour ! (i think the message i got once on the queue said wait time was approx 15 minutes and i was caller 20 in that queue)

Prior to this i was ringing sporadically throughout the day -- ie ring once then 15/20/30 minutes later

Called at lunchtime yesterday, straight into the queue at 21st, it moved very quickly tbh, was holding a guesstimate of 10mins, didn't think that was bad at all, my wife also got straight through on the chat so I hung up before they answered, I was 6th in queue at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fran25

Just got through to passport office. Did as previous person suggested. Apparently there is an issue with the tracker at the moment and should be resolved by weekend

It's an utter clusterfcuk, how can that office be deemed fit for purpose???

Covid and people booking travel without passports. Without either of those two it would be flying.

Lol, blame everything bar the obvious, Covid or not, there was always a massive backlog coming up to the summer, if the man in the street can predict that then surely a properly run passport office could, this is not new.

Apart from that, mind boggling as it is, their systems fall apart at the slightest provocation, phone lines were shut down, chat app closed, tracker that doesn’t track, every day there’s more evidence that it’s a shambles.

Edit, just to clarify, it’s not the people working there that are the problem, they’ve always been great but it’s simply not run properly; management have no concept of forward planning or periodic strategy, they have failed spectacularly again and again.

Post edited by bladespin on

If there's a backlog in the summer it's because of the point I've already made. People book holidays, drop large sums of money, all without having valid passports and then panic and pile on the email/webchat/phone lines. The passport office every year tell people not to book holidays without having their passports, very few people listen. There are always going to be genuine cases, emergencies, new citizens, new babies but even this thread is full of people who booked travel without having the passport in their hand.

• Advertisement

You do also realise that lots of those looking for passports now booked their travel with active passports but followed the dfa’s advice and postponed, postponed and postponed; until theirs had run out??? Not an excuse but not quite the wanton disregard you’re implying.

Even taking your point above, it’s still a seasonal demand and should have been accounted and planned for, they simply refuse to try to understand their customer, incredibly arrogant or simply not fit for service.

You’d never see revenue in such a mess!

The most basic managerial course will teach you that if something happens regularly then you should be ready for it.

Just to add that in the summer they usually extend working hours, add weekend work, and offer overtime to existing staff and staff in other parts of the Department to deal with the demand, as well as recruiting temporary staff. I'm not making excuses for them, the fact that standard renewals are being issued in hours (someone here got theirs in 20 hours) to a few days shows that the system works to an extent.

Additional security checks for first time passports are the big cause of delays and that can be down to external factors.

It's a catch 22 on Comms, do you want all hands on deck processing applications, or fewer hands on deck (fewer passports being processed) to have people on the phones/webchat all day.

They’ve had a few years to refine the system to be fair, summer and Christmas travel is not new, pushing staffers harder is a knee jerk response not a valid strategy, it’s simply unfair to the staff and doesn’t guarantee a higher throughput.

Why would any manager put processing staff on the phones? That’s a complete waste of a skilled resource, there should be a proper service staff employed for that, again, basic stuff for management.

They’re firing through online applications for renewals as well, true enough, though at this stage that should pretty much be automated anyway, but they’re falling massively behind on first timers and anything that isn’t simply joining the dots, I know outside forces can and do cause problems but 8 weeks should really be more than enough, we’re long past the days when they had to wait for postal responses from the gardai etc, the vast majority of checking can be done online.

Has the tracker updated for anyone recently? My babies first time application was delivered on the 17th June according to An Post Tracking but no update to the application on the passport tracker to say they've been received

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I don't seem to be able to search the thread so apologies if asked before. I'm applying for first Irish passport as a naturalised citizen.

It says to submit any current passport I have if available. I don't really want to send off my current, in date, British passport as I'd like to keep it for any emergency travel. Who knows how long the application for Irish passport will take and I don't want to get caught out.

Does anyone know if it will slow the application down if I don't submit my original British passport? Or do I even have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Hi my partner also applied as a naturalised citizen, he had to send off his passport, you don't have a choice. Lucky for him hes from an eu country who has an national identity card so could still travel. Applied in January and recieved Irish passport in March

If it says to send your passport then you have to send your passport and of course it will delay the process if you don’t because I’d imagine they would write to you requesting it so best to send exactly what is required and don’t make any travel plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Hi all. Sorry - at wits end.

Made the mistake of booking flights a month ago. Daughters passport was out of date. THought we'd get it sorted.

Due to fly on Sunday, but not going to get passport by the online means now.

I've been trying fro days to get one of those passport appointments. But I've only seen one come up, but I couldn't book it, as wife was away, and it needs both of us.

Question - any tips on booking an appointment. Is there any part of the day that may be more of a chance of an appointment popping up. I know it's probably based on cancellations.

Any advice is welcome.

They used to release 30 appointments at midday before Covid anyway. You won't get one for that day though so no chance of getting the passport before Sunday I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Has anyone else seen this article stating a 2 year delay for passports of born outside of Ireland?

Does that mean as a naturalised citizen I could face similar wait times when/if I apply for my first Irish passport?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0630/1307763-passports/

Advertisement