Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

I'm renewing mine online but I have no idea what a cover page is and how I get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

The link stays ‘live’ for a certain period only so I’d advise requesting a new one.

There is no guarantee on the issue date for 1st time applicants I’m afraid and only at the final checking stage will you know if further documents are required. I would advise however to ensure your witness knows they will be getting a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HelpfulOldMum

Hello I am brand new here and just hope I am in the right place!!

We live in Scotland and my husband received his Irish passport in February - his dad was born in Tralee (1905) so he is already an Irish citiizen, hence it wasn't too difficult to obtain in the end, but there were quite a few hoops to jump through as you'd expect!

Now our son would like one too!! I have looked at the Irish Passport site and it seems he needs to send his full birth certificate, ID (British Passport?), our marriage certficate, my husband's full birth certificate and details of his Irish passport (number?) in the first instance so our son can be granted Irish citizenship. Have I go that right please?

He is currently abroad so we know nothing much can happen yet but I just want to be sure I can relate the details once he gets home.

Also can anyone say the sort of timescale for Irish Citizenship being granted please?

Thank you very much for any help you can offer

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

If your son was also born outside of Ireland he needs to apply Foreign Birth Registration first.

• Advertisement

Yes thank you, sorry I think I have got a bit ahead of myself. I realise he needs to be an Irish Citizen first of all.

I think he needs to produce all those documents to apply for Foreign Birth registration? The photos, birth certificates etc, and also proof of address in Renfrewshire? If he achieves Irish citizenship I assume he has to lodge all those documents again in support of his passport application?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

Right so the cover page is part of the verification identity form sent in the link in the email.

Sorry to push this but can someone please confirm that what I think is the case, actually is!! Am I right in saying, that to become an Irish Citizen our son needs to produce his BC (born in Scotland), his grandfather's Irish birth certificate, his father's Birth certificate (born in UK) and his father's Irish Passport details, photos, confirmation of address and an online application for Irish Citizenship? Once he has that he can apply for a passport submitting all these things again. Or is the fact that his father is an Irish Citizen with an Irish Passport preclude the need for some of these items?

Thank you

Most people posting here are already Irish citizens so wouldn't know much about applying for FBR. Contact the Irish embassy in London. They should be well used to dealing with FBR queries.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

interesting question.

My understanding of it would be that if your husband had have had an irish passport at the time of your sons birth, then your son could claim through that avenue of having an irish parent (at birth). But, he didnt and I suppose who could have seen Brexit coming, not even David Cameron aparantly.

Anyhow, that means that your son will need to apply through having an irish born grandparent - so the details needed are a bunch of stuff about your son AND a bunch of stuff about the grandfather. Your husband is irrelevant as he was not irish at the time of the childs birth

Details here : https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

For info, Ireland is one of the few countries in the world where citizenship can be passed down infinitely so unless the law changes, you could have people in 1000 years with a great, great, great.... (etc) grandfather who was irish. The proviso though is that you get an irish passport before you start creating another generation of "irish" kids.

In fairness its very unlikely that every generation for 1000 years would be so organised to keep a passport that they a very remote link to, but, its legally possible at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Donohoe10

Hi All,

Applying for childs first passport. Looking for the consent form to get the Gardai to sign it. Says on email to click the link, when u do I sign in with details and it takes me to a page with no consent or li k to click. I know it only last for 5 days, i only applied for the passport yesterday.

Anyone any ideas on this? Or had the same issue?

Thank you very much for this, I have studied the DFA site and I have looked at Irish Embassy in London website which is exactly the same as the DFA in Ireland as you'd expect. Long way to go with this I suspect!! It is a bit ambiguous but does look as though our son can only become an Irish Citizen by registering a foreign birth by virtue of his GRANDFATHER (born in Tralee) and the fact that his father (my husband) has obtained an Irish Passport is purely a red herring!

Yes, disregard your husband's Irish passport as it was issued after your son's birth. He will be claiming citizenship solely through his grandfather.

Grandfather's original birth certificate (1905) and death certificate were both lost in the post when I was sending them to my sister in law in London in February this year, following my husband's successful Irish passport application, so today we have ordered extracts of both. Thank you again, your help has been invaluable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 barry2023

Hi all,

I'm trying to send my documents to the Passport Office, but the address they gave me is a PO Box. Now, UPS etc don't send to PO Boxes. Do you think it's ok to send it directly to the Passport Office and bypass the PO Box?

Thanks in advance!

You can't post it directly to the office. If you're in Ireland you submit paper applications at counter in the post office.

I presume you’re doing an online application, no, you definitely can’t post directly to the passport office. Use the post office to post your documents, recorded delivery if you’d prefer. If you have to use a courier, try another company if UPS won’t post.

This is very specific, but much depends on the answer. For a first-time Irish-born applicant/child (of Irish parents), what is the quickest that the Passport Office can progress it? A judge will be granting consent but there's only a week between the Court order/date and the date that the travel is booked (I cannot get through to the Passport Office to ask this)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

A first passport will take minimum 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 gracepeters

I will be traveling to Canada for only 4 days but my passport will expire on 4th September 2023, will be allowed in the flight? Airline is Aerlingus?

Airline is irrelevant. Google is your friend. First result of Department of Foreign Affairs advice for Irish visitors to Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gracepeters

I have a valid ETA already, just want to be sure if i won't be refused boarding because my passport will expire on 4th September by Aerlingus

The airline have nothing to do with it. Read the first highlighted bit (not my highlighting btw). Your passport needs to be valid for the duration of your stay. That's all.

To be honest, the turnaround times are an estimate and the issue date isn’t guaranteed. As it’s a first time applicant, given the tight timeframe between the court order and your travel time, all the extra security checks etc. I couldn’t see it being issues on time for the travel date if your sending everything in together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ajc45

Maybe a silly question but we go on holiday in a fortnight and just hoping for some reassurance.

I applied for 3 passports for my 3 sons and my youngest son, aged 4 hasnt got his middle name printed on his passport, the rest of us do.

Any reason for this to cause an issue?

It won't cause any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JeDo

Sorry if something similar has been asked before or if this is not the right place to ask! I am looking to apply for a British passport with eligibility based on decent. To the best of my ability I have deciphered that I could have automatic eligibility due to the fact my mother was born in the UK before 1983. I see when applying for your first British passport you must have the application countersigned by someone who has known you for more than two years, not related by birth or marriage, who works in a “recognised profession” AND they also need to provide their own passport number. I think this utterly ridiculous. I don’t know anyone outside my extended family that would fit the bill. And wouldn’t be comfortable asking someone to provide their own passport number. Has anyone else come up against this? I’m wondering why a Garda or Commissioner of oaths wouldn’t suffice without meeting the criteria of knowing you for 2yrs+ / providing their passport number. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Contact the British embassy in Dublin. They will likely have encountered this scenario before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

I think an in law or a friend of your extended family living in the UK would suffice.Otherwise,as Nigel Fairservice said contact the British Embassy

Advertisement