Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hi all,

looking for opinions about something that is a long-standing disagreement between myself and my wife.

Our kids are dual citizens - Irish and Japanese (because of my wife). They have passports from both countries.

When they travel from Ireland to Japan for example, I think it is better to use one passport for the whole journey, but my wife thinks it's better to use their Irish passport when they depart Ireland, and then use their Japanese passport when they arrive in Japan.

With my way, one passport will show the departure and entry stamps for the whole journey, while other passport will have no record of it.

With her way, one passport will show them departing Ireland but never arriving anywhere, and the other will show them arriving in Japan, but never having departed from anywhere in the first place.

Is either of these ways considered better than the other, for any reason, or does it not really matter at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭banie01

osarusan wrote: »
    Hi all,

looking for opinions about something that is a long-standing disagreement between myself and my wife.

Our kids are dual citizens - Irish and Japanese (because of my wife). They have passports from both countries.

When they travel from Ireland to Japan for example, I think it is better to use one passport for the whole journey, but my wife thinks it's better to use their Irish passport when they depart Ireland, and then use their Japanese passport when they arrive in Japan.

With my way, one passport will show the departure and entry stamps for the whole journey, while other passport will have no record of it.

With her way, one passport will show them departing Ireland but never arriving anywhere, and the other will show them arriving in Japan, but never having departed from anywhere in the first place.

Is either of these ways considered better than the other, for any reason, or does it not really matter at all?

AFAIK, if you hold dual passports and are travelling to one of the country's that you are a citizen of, you need to use the passport of that country to enter.
    I know it's that way for US dual citizens.
    i.e if travelling to the US, you must enter and exit on your US passport.
    So I'd assume for Japan it would be similar, but I'm sure wiser heads will be along to clarify.

Hi all,

AFAIK, if you hold dual passports and are travelling to one of the country's that you are a citizen of, you need to use the passport of that country to enter.
    So I'd assume for Japan it would be similar, but I'm sure wiser heads will be along to clarify.

Hi all,

Hi all,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Leave Ireland using Irish passport.
    Arrive in Japan using Japanese passport.
    Depart Japan using Japanese passport.
    Arrive in Ireland using Irish passport.

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

antix80 wrote: »

Nope, that's the way most countries demand you do it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Your passport isn't stamped on the way out so no issue there. I don't think there's API for Japan so no need to refer to Irish passports at all. Use Irish passport on arrival in Dublin.

Your passport isn't stamped on the way out so no issue there. I don't think there's API for Japan so no need to refer to Irish passports at all. Use Irish passport on arrival in Dublin.

Op, the problem with your way is Japanese immigration will see an Irish passport and proceed to issue a Visa (or some similar visa waiver program for Irish citizens).
    The process I outlined above is only for the immigration authorities. Dealing with airlines is a different story. They'd probably prefer to see the foreign passport when departing Ireland as their duty is to ensure you'll be in the foreign country legally.. But as you have both passports it shouldn't be an issue.

Op, the problem with your way is Japanese immigration will see an Irish passport and proceed to issue a Visa (or some similar visa waiver program for Irish citizens).
    The process I outlined above is only for the immigration authorities. Dealing with airlines is a different story. They'd probably prefer to see the foreign passport when departing Ireland as their duty is to ensure you'll be in the foreign country legally.. But as you have both passports it shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement

Ok, so I will have to do the unthinkable and admit to my wife that she is right?:eek::pac:

I didn't know about such a rule, or best practice. I don't actually think she did either, she just preferred it that way.

But it does make sense alright.

I just wondered whether airport authorities ever had a problem with somebody arriving on a Japanese passort (or Irish), with no record of where/when they left, or ever having arrived there in the first place.
    Yeah, I know this, and have no problem with them using a Japanese passport from start to finish, when it's easier to do so.

Ok, so I will have to do the unthinkable and admit to my wife that she is right?:eek::pac:

I didn't know about such a rule, or best practice. I don't actually think she did either, she just preferred it that way.

I just wondered whether airport authorities ever had a problem with somebody arriving on a Japanese passort (or Irish), with no record of where/when they left, or ever having arrived there in the first place.
    Yeah, I know this, and have no problem with them using a Japanese passport from start to finish, when it's easier to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

For the last 26 years my brother who lives in Switzerland but works in Italy has used his Irish (E.U.) passport when entering Italy but his Swiss passport when entering Switzerland.
    He says it saves a lot of hassle (particularly at the Italian border) as if he uses just one then he is guaranteed to be stopped and form filling happens whereas his way he just needs to wave the relevant passport and rarely is he stopped for just a quick check.

On the few occasions I have made the journey (possessing only an Irish passport) with him I have been grand at the Italian side but stopped by the Swiss for just a few minor questions.

For the last 26 years my brother who lives in Switzerland but works in Italy has used his Irish (E.U.) passport when entering Italy but his Swiss passport when entering Switzerland.
    He says it saves a lot of hassle (particularly at the Italian border) as if he uses just one then he is guaranteed to be stopped and form filling happens whereas his way he just needs to wave the relevant passport and rarely is he stopped for just a quick check.

On the few occasions I have made the journey (possessing only an Irish passport) with him I have been grand at the Italian side but stopped by the Swiss for just a few minor questions.

• Advertisement

I don't think you can leave a country using a different passport than you used to enter it. At least not without a lot of hassle from immigration authorities.

As for them not having records.. they can easily ask to see your second passport. I met an American travelling through South America who made the mistake of entering his first country on his US passport, then subsequent countries refused to allow him to use his Polish passport (which allowed longer and free visas than the US passport) because it didn't have exit stamps from the country he was coming from. No idea if they should have done this, but I think the lesson learned is to keep things simple when you're dealing with immigration. Wave the passport they want to see.

Advertisement