Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

osarusan wrote: »
    I just wondered whether airport authorities ever had a problem with somebody arriving on a Japanese passort (or Irish), with no record of where/when they left, or ever having arrived there in the first place.

Yeah, I know this, and have no problem with them using a Japanese passport from start to finish, when it's easier to do so.

I don't think you can leave a country using a different passport than you used to enter it. At least not without a lot of hassle from immigration authorities.

As for them not having records.. they can easily ask to see your second passport. I met an American travelling through South America who made the mistake of entering his first country on his US passport, then subsequent countries refused to allow him to use his Polish passport (which allowed longer and free visas than the US passport) because it didn't have exit stamps from the country he was coming from. No idea if they should have done this, but I think the lesson learned is to keep things simple when you're dealing with immigration. Wave the passport they want to see.

I just wondered whether airport authorities ever had a problem with somebody arriving on a Japanese passort (or Irish), with no record of where/when they left, or ever having arrived there in the first place.

Yeah, I know this, and have no problem with them using a Japanese passport from start to finish, when it's easier to do so.

I don't think you can leave a country using a different passport than you used to enter it. At least not without a lot of hassle from immigration authorities.

As for them not having records.. they can easily ask to see your second passport. I met an American travelling through South America who made the mistake of entering his first country on his US passport, then subsequent countries refused to allow him to use his Polish passport (which allowed longer and free visas than the US passport) because it didn't have exit stamps from the country he was coming from. No idea if they should have done this, but I think the lesson learned is to keep things simple when you're dealing with immigration. Wave the passport they want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

antix80 wrote: »

That might be true when you depart Japan but it's not the case when travelling out of Ireland because nobody from Irish immigration asks to see your passport when you depart Ireland. When you check-in or board your plane in Dublin, the airline will usually examine your passport, they do this to ensure that you have the right to enter the destination country because they will have the expense of bringing you back if you are refused entry. But airlines have no access to immigration logs so they have no idea if you are travelling using a different passport from the one you used on an earlier leg of your trip.

So show your Irish passports at the gate when departing, use the Japanese passport entering and leaving Japan and show the Irish passport to Irish immigration when you arrive back here i.e. use the local passport in all cases.

That might be true when you depart Japan but it's not the case when travelling out of Ireland because nobody from Irish immigration asks to see your passport when you depart Ireland. When you check-in or board your plane in Dublin, the airline will usually examine your passport, they do this to ensure that you have the right to enter the destination country because they will have the expense of bringing you back if you are refused entry. But airlines have no access to immigration logs so they have no idea if you are travelling using a different passport from the one you used on an earlier leg of your trip.

So show your Irish passports at the gate when departing, use the Japanese passport entering and leaving Japan and show the Irish passport to Irish immigration when you arrive back here i.e. use the local passport in all cases.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

I agree with your wife.
    Your wife and kids should enter Japan as citizens with Japanese passports. Hopefully you can also tag along in the citizens queue. The line for foreigners ("aliens" queue!) can take much longer especially at peak season and some of the immigration officers can be very meticulous with the forms expecting all details down to post code and phone number of hotel etc to be filled in precisely. Last time I entered Osaka, the guy in front was questioned for ages and eventually had to go back to fill in a new form.
    The other consideration is that it is better for your kids to have proof that they have entered Japan regularly even if they are living abroad. It maybe useful in future if they ever want to study/work in Japan and plug into the system there eg education, healthcare etc, and to benefit from "local" status.

I agree with your wife.
    Your wife and kids should enter Japan as citizens with Japanese passports. Hopefully you can also tag along in the citizens queue. The line for foreigners ("aliens" queue!) can take much longer especially at peak season and some of the immigration officers can be very meticulous with the forms expecting all details down to post code and phone number of hotel etc to be filled in precisely. Last time I entered Osaka, the guy in front was questioned for ages and eventually had to go back to fill in a new form.
    The other consideration is that it is better for your kids to have proof that they have entered Japan regularly even if they are living abroad. It maybe useful in future if they ever want to study/work in Japan and plug into the system there eg education, healthcare etc, and to benefit from "local" status.

I agree with your wife.

• Advertisement

I agree with your wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    For the last 26 years my brother who lives in Switzerland but works in Italy has used his Irish (E.U.) passport when entering Italy but his Swiss passport when entering Switzerland.
    He says it saves a lot of hassle (particularly at the Italian border) as if he uses just one then he is guaranteed to be stopped and form filling happens whereas his way he just needs to wave the relevant passport and rarely is he stopped for just a quick check.

On the few occasions I have made the journey (possessing only an Irish passport) with him I have been grand at the Italian side but stopped by the Swiss for just a few minor questions.

Nah man, Switzerland is part of Schengen, no border control even when you fly.
    Are some spot checks on the border but more on the German Border going into Germany checking for refugees.

For the last 26 years my brother who lives in Switzerland but works in Italy has used his Irish (E.U.) passport when entering Italy but his Swiss passport when entering Switzerland.
    He says it saves a lot of hassle (particularly at the Italian border) as if he uses just one then he is guaranteed to be stopped and form filling happens whereas his way he just needs to wave the relevant passport and rarely is he stopped for just a quick check.

On the few occasions I have made the journey (possessing only an Irish passport) with him I have been grand at the Italian side but stopped by the Swiss for just a few minor questions.

Are some spot checks on the border but more on the German Border going into Germany checking for refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Switzerland is Schengen but is not in the customs union so if you are carrying merchandise then its customs forms and pain.

Switzerland is Schengen but is not in the customs union so if you are carrying merchandise then its customs forms and pain.

There is no difference between showing your EU Passport, Swiss or Ausländerausweis when doing a customs declaration, customs just want your money as fast as possible.

You fill out the same Schriftliche Anmeldung regardless.

You may have slightly more work if you are Swiss Resident if you bought a high ticket item in the EU Tax free as a non Swiss EU Resident in Switzerland though :)

• Advertisement

There is no difference between showing your EU Passport, Swiss or Ausländerausweis when doing a customs declaration, customs just want your money as fast as possible.

You may have slightly more work if you are Swiss Resident if you bought a high ticket item in the EU Tax free as a non Swiss EU Resident in Switzerland though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Online renewal services extended, you can now renew children's passports online but have to print out a form for signing and witnessing at the end

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1128/1013803-online_passport/

Online renewal services extended, you can now renew children's passports online but have to print out a form for signing and witnessing at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does the rule that your passport must be valid for 6 months from the date of your return journey apply to the UK? I might have to go to the UK in January with 5 months left on mine.

Does the rule that your passport must be valid for 6 months from the date of your return journey apply to the UK? I might have to go to the UK in January with 5 months left on mine.

• Advertisement

Advertisement