Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Make an appointment and proceed as an urgent case.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 2019

How? How longs the process of getting a passpot

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

2019 wrote: »

Have a look on the website, it's very clearly laid out

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Carl Lowe

I thought I would write this short epistle in the hope that it might help others following the same route as me to obtaining an Irish passport. So, from the outset let me state two things: 1. This was a first-time application and 2. I already have a British passport and live in Britain. I was able to claim my Irish passport through my mother who was Irish. My reasons for doing this were several but mainly to hold on to my Irish heritage and not primarily to have some other means of still benefiting from EU citizenship following Brexit. Being 65 next birthday, the chances of me wanting to be employed or seeking education courses in an EU (or the UK for that matter) are very low. I do, however, have a strong affinity with Ireland that I wish to maintain.

I did try to apply for an Irish passport over 30 years ago, only to be told that it was not possible to hold dual British and Irish passports. Either things have changed since then or I was misinformed at the time.

My 2018 application was sent off on 8th October via tracked Royal Mail. It took a week to get to the Cork office and was formally registered there on 16th October. It then entered the first "Application Received" stage, where it remained for 8 days before passing into the "Processing Application" stage on 24th October. A target issue date of 15th November had been estimated for my application when first registered. I thought this a little optimistic at the time as GB first-time applications were taking a minimum of 25 working days according to another section of the DFA website. As it turned out, this latter information proved more accurate than the "tracker" estimate. The "Processing" stage actually lasted another 4 weeks and on 23rd November my application passed to the "Printing" stage. As I write this, more than a month later, it is still at that stage according to the tracker. My passport, along with all the documents I sent actually arrived over a month ago.

So, the upshot of my personal experience is to take heed of the reports that the Irish Passport service is indeed stretched by the number of applications, so, be patient, read the latest updates on turnaround times and don't place too much faith in the accuracy of the personal tracker. And always remember, good things come to those who wait. Thanks to all who have posted useful information here.

I thought I would write this short epistle in the hope that it might help others following the same route as me to obtaining an Irish passport. So, from the outset let me state two things: 1. This was a first-time application and 2. I already have a British passport and live in Britain. I was able to claim my Irish passport through my mother who was Irish. My reasons for doing this were several but mainly to hold on to my Irish heritage and not primarily to have some other means of still benefiting from EU citizenship following Brexit. Being 65 next birthday, the chances of me wanting to be employed or seeking education courses in an EU (or the UK for that matter) are very low. I do, however, have a strong affinity with Ireland that I wish to maintain.

I did try to apply for an Irish passport over 30 years ago, only to be told that it was not possible to hold dual British and Irish passports. Either things have changed since then or I was misinformed at the time.

My 2018 application was sent off on 8th October via tracked Royal Mail. It took a week to get to the Cork office and was formally registered there on 16th October. It then entered the first "Application Received" stage, where it remained for 8 days before passing into the "Processing Application" stage on 24th October. A target issue date of 15th November had been estimated for my application when first registered. I thought this a little optimistic at the time as GB first-time applications were taking a minimum of 25 working days according to another section of the DFA website. As it turned out, this latter information proved more accurate than the "tracker" estimate. The "Processing" stage actually lasted another 4 weeks and on 23rd November my application passed to the "Printing" stage. As I write this, more than a month later, it is still at that stage according to the tracker. My passport, along with all the documents I sent actually arrived over a month ago.

So, the upshot of my personal experience is to take heed of the reports that the Irish Passport service is indeed stretched by the number of applications, so, be patient, read the latest updates on turnaround times and don't place too much faith in the accuracy of the personal tracker. And always remember, good things come to those who wait. Thanks to all who have posted useful information here.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Am I screwed?

Am I screwed?

Am I screwed?

Am I screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

It's risky but you might actually get a new passport in time if you applied online straight away. People have been reporting a very quick turn around. I know someone who got theirs in 2 business days and my aunt applied for hers on a Tuesday and received Friday. I've also seen a post here from someone saying they got their's in 1 day.

The big caveat here is that they were passport renewals so I'm not sure if there's a different system for a lost passport but perhaps they just cancel that one and issue a new one?

It's risky but you might actually get a new passport in time if you applied online straight away. People have been reporting a very quick turn around. I know someone who got theirs in 2 business days and my aunt applied for hers on a Tuesday and received Friday. I've also seen a post here from someone saying they got their's in 1 day.

The big caveat here is that they were passport renewals so I'm not sure if there's a different system for a lost passport but perhaps they just cancel that one and issue a new one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

don't renew online

make an appointment to go to passport office. you have to pay more but are guaranteed it

don't renew online

make an appointment to go to passport office. you have to pay more but are guaranteed it

• Advertisement

don't renew online

Advertisement