Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

What's the go with using foreign passports in and out of Ireland. I Just realised my Irish passport is about to expire and I plan to head to England in a few weeks. I have an Aussie passport that's valid but a friend told me he was warned by a customs officer in Dublin airport that beacause he's Irish he should be using an Irish passport. Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

What's the go with using foreign passports in and out of Ireland. I Just realised my Irish passport is about to expire and I plan to head to England in a few weeks. I have an Aussie passport that's valid but a friend told me he was warned by a customs officer in Dublin airport that beacause he's Irish he should be using an Irish passport. Is this true?

True. One of my friends, who is dual citizen of Ireland and Australia, was using Irish passport for travelling to Australia. He was cautioned by Australian Visa Officer to use Australian passport for travelling in/out of Australia.

True. One of my friends, who is dual citizen of Ireland and Australia, was using Irish passport for travelling to Australia. He was cautioned by Australian Visa Officer to use Australian passport for travelling in/out of Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

I submitted my passport renewal application online Jan. 10, 2019. It was mailed Jan. 11TH and I received it in Toronto, Canada on Jan. 18th.. This was the multi-page passport, the Card I have not received yet.
    This is better than Canada and Germany by five weeks. Simply amazing.

I submitted my passport renewal application online Jan. 10, 2019. It was mailed Jan. 11TH and I received it in Toronto, Canada on Jan. 18th.. This was the multi-page passport, the Card I have not received yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hasschu wrote: »

Isn’t it just amazing? A wonderful service.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Shark72

Not my experience of online renewal, unfortunately.
    Submitted my 8yo son's (2rd) passport renewal application online on Jan 7th (from the UK, where we live now). It's a week past the Estimated due date, and we're travelling in a few weeks.
    I've been on to the Dept of Foreign Affairs via their webchat portal twice now. All they keep saying is it is "Processing", and to check the status bar of the application (which one does anyway, on the way to the chat link).
    The agent repeated the claim that the average processing time is 10 working days (as stated in the FAQ answers on the site), when I asked what the processing time has been for successfully completed applications in the last few days.
    Any way to expedite it? No.
    Can we get a week's extension to his current passport? No.

Anyone from the DFA out there?
    Getting anxious!

Submitted my 8yo son's (2rd) passport renewal application online on Jan 7th (from the UK, where we live now). It's a week past the Estimated due date, and we're travelling in a few weeks.
    I've been on to the Dept of Foreign Affairs via their webchat portal twice now. All they keep saying is it is "Processing", and to check the status bar of the application (which one does anyway, on the way to the chat link).
    The agent repeated the claim that the average processing time is 10 working days (as stated in the FAQ answers on the site), when I asked what the processing time has been for successfully completed applications in the last few days.

Getting anxious!

Getting anxious!

Getting anxious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Shark72 wrote: »

Getting anxious!

Given that additional documents are required for a child's renewal it will obviously take longer than a standard adult renewal.

Getting anxious!

Given that additional documents are required for a child's renewal it will obviously take longer than a standard adult renewal.

Getting anxious!

• Advertisement

Getting anxious!

The 10 working days estimate is specific to a child's online renewal (as per DFA website). In fact, I was surprised to find how easy the application process was, and how few documents had to be provided.

What I'm disappointed with (particularly in light of the streamlined application process - e.g. no going to the Gardai to get them to verify photos) is the opacity of the process once the application has been submitted. I'm still in the dark about the status of the application despite contacting them twice, and their refrain is that I should continue tracking the application online (they stopped short of advising me to say a novena).

The 10 working days estimate is specific to a child's online renewal (as per DFA website). In fact, I was surprised to find how easy the application process was, and how few documents had to be provided.

What I'm disappointed with (particularly in light of the streamlined application process - e.g. no going to the Gardai to get them to verify photos) is the opacity of the process once the application has been submitted. I'm still in the dark about the status of the application despite contacting them twice, and their refrain is that I should continue tracking the application online (they stopped short of advising me to say a novena).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Henrys Grimey Paws

Seeing similar issues with my wife's online renewal, we got married last year so she's submitted the marriage cert for the change of name. I expect that it should take a bit longer but we're now 5 days passed the estimated issue date and the tracking hasn't moved at all.

The "tracking" is a load of garbage as it gives no further information other than processing. Great when it all goes smoothly but absolutely useless otherwise

Seeing similar issues with my wife's online renewal, we got married last year so she's submitted the marriage cert for the change of name. I expect that it should take a bit longer but we're now 5 days passed the estimated issue date and the tracking hasn't moved at all.

The "tracking" is a load of garbage as it gives no further information other than processing. Great when it all goes smoothly but absolutely useless otherwise

• Advertisement

I'm in the same boat. I submitted for my son's passport renewal online. It's 4 days past the estimated target date. When asked about the application processing in webchat, I was told I just need to wait. I asked for a tentative date for which no definitive answer. It's really a PITA not knowing what's happening, nor letting us know if there is any problem.

Advertisement