Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Shark72

leex wrote: »
    I have 2 child passports currently being renewed online.

* Applied online Jan 8th
    * Completed forms posted Jan 10th
    * Estimated date of issue on Passport site was Jan 22nd
    * Printed and posted today Jan 30th

Thanks leex, you've given me some reason to be optimistic that this might just turn out okay (more than the DFA have done anyhow). Anyone else out there with a good news story about a recent online child's passport renewal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,115 ✭✭✭✭josip

Our son's passport expires on April 1st, he will be traveling on April 15th.
    We've renewed online today, in case applications take longer than the advised 2 weeks.

However, we're also away Feb 16th - 23rd.
    If his new passport is issued while we're away, will his old passport still be valid to return?

We've renewed online today, in case applications take longer than the advised 2 weeks.

If his new passport is issued while we're away, will his old passport still be valid to return?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

josip wrote: »

No his current passport is invalid today.

splinter65 wrote: »

We haven't yet posted the consent form and they say on their site:

"Where documents are required to support your application, processing of the application will not begin until the supporting documents have been received."

https://www.dfa.ie/passporttracking/turnaroundtimes/

So his current passport is still valid according to this?
    I haven't seen it on the site that they will cancel the current passport before the new one is ready, have I missed that?

• Advertisement

"Where documents are required to support your application, processing of the application will not begin until the supporting documents have been received."

I haven't seen it on the site that they will cancel the current passport before the new one is ready, have I missed that?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

The spine of my passport cover is fairly worn but the inside and rest of the cover is perfect. On a recent trip, passport control in Denmark told me I should get it replaced.

I still have 2 and a half years before it expires. Does anyone know if I could get away with just getting a cover? I'm considering getting a passport card but I travel to US for work a few times a year so I'm a bit nervy about getting through US immigration with it.

@Siog-Alainn

PASSPORT CARD ONLY FOR EU TRAVEL ONLY
    YOU MUST HAVE FULL PASSPORT FOR US TRAVEL.

The spine of my passport cover is fairly worn but the inside and rest of the cover is perfect. On a recent trip, passport control in Denmark told me I should get it replaced.

I still have 2 and a half years before it expires. Does anyone know if I could get away with just getting a cover? I'm considering getting a passport card but I travel to US for work a few times a year so I'm a bit nervy about getting through US immigration with it.

@Siog-Alainn

@Siog-Alainn

@Siog-Alainn

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

CVB wrote: »
    @Siog-Alainn

Thanks! I didn't explain myself very well. I was considering getting the EU card for EU travel (the majority of my travel) so that my passport book wouldn't have any further damage. However I'll need it for traveling to the US and by the sounds of it, they might not accept it. So I've decided to get a new one to avoid that possibility :p

@Siog-Alainn

Thanks! I didn't explain myself very well. I was considering getting the EU card for EU travel (the majority of my travel) so that my passport book wouldn't have any further damage. However I'll need it for traveling to the US and by the sounds of it, they might not accept it. So I've decided to get a new one to avoid that possibility :p

@Siog-Alainn

• Advertisement

@Siog-Alainn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

A wise decision.

A wise decision.

A wise decision.

A wise decision.

Just to update this in case anyone else might be in a similar situation
    I was talking with the Passport Office this morning and they said that my son's current passport will be cancelled when the new passport is issued.
    This happens at the end of the process.

I was talking with the Passport Office this morning and they said that my son's current passport will be cancelled when the new passport is issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Shark72

mac.in wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I submitted for my son's passport renewal online. It's 4 days past the estimated target date. When asked about the application processing in webchat, I was told I just need to wait. I asked for a tentative date for which no definitive answer. It's really a PITA not knowing what's happening, nor letting us know if there is any problem.

Update: son’s passport was printed Monday 4th Feb., and we received it on Thursday 7th.
    Hope you don’t have long more to wait

Advertisement