Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

salmocab wrote: »
    If you do an online application today or tomorrow you should have it by next weekend. Assuming there is nothing odd about your application. You can get the photo done in most Tesco shops it gives you a code that you input during the process and your pic will pop up.

Thanks. Much appreciated.
    Will the code be on the Tesco photos.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

sillysocks wrote: »
    Have done an online renewal for my son. Just wondering once the photo gets accepted online does it happen that they can still reject it or does that generally mean there shouldn’t be any issue?

My brothers pic of his 3 year old daughter was initially accepted but subsequently refused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

washman3 wrote: »
    Travelling to Portugal on June 14.
    Just realised that my passport expires on June 15.
    Not well up on these matters.!! What do I need to do?
    Any advice appreciated.

If you do it today you should have it by the end of the week, maybe early next week because of the bank holiday. I used a mobile phone to take the photo but someone else needs to do it, no selfies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Thanks. Much appreciated.
    Will the code be on the Tesco photos.?

Yeah it prints you off 4 photos and has a code on it too, you can do one yourself by phone but as said no selfies, so long as it’s a plain white background you’d be fine but if there is a tesco handy with the photo booth I’d use it for ease. All you need for online is the photo, your old passport and your credit card. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Just make sure the photo booth is marked as being compatible with online applications, it's not exclusive to tesco but not all booths have the facility

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    Just make sure the photo booth is marked as being compatible with online applications, it's not exclusive to tesco but not all booths have the facility

Apologies I should have said this, think they are Photo-me booths. It says on the outside that they do it. They have an official agreement with the DFA, think their website has a tracker thing for finding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 oal22

Any advice appreciated.

Book an appointment to go in to the office. Don't do an online renewal.....You'll be cutting it too fine. If you're travelling within 3 weeks you can renew it in the office. It could take 3 days to get it posted out but it is much faster. You need to have your photos done a d all other documents going ij

oal22 wrote: »
    Book an appointment to go in to the office. Don't do an online renewal.....You'll be cutting it too fine. If you're travelling within 3 weeks you can renew it in the office. It could take 3 days to get it posted out but it is much faster. You need to have your photos done a d all other documents going ij

The online renewal is generally with you in 48 hours. He’d have the passport before the appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

For the poster asking,, for someone else to collect my new passport i just had to write a cover letter confirming my partner could collect it for me and he Brought ID, no issues whatsoever.

Would like to hear an update on the kids passport above for the two year old...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Any advice appreciated.
    Apply for a renewal online now and it could well be with you within a few days.

• Advertisement

Apply for a renewal online now and it could well be with you within a few days.

Did it first thing this morning.
    Have until June 15 to get it in the post.
    Surely will get from Cork to Limerick by then.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your, and the other posters advice and help.
    Will report back on how I fared out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

See you Thursday. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stickynote1

Any advice appreciated.

Online renewals seem to be taking ages lately. I know 3 people who applied and took well over 2 weeks, one of them took 3 weeks and they were normal renewals. Seems there are problems so I would make an appointment to Cork or Dublin, definately wouldnt apply online, bring your travel documents too with the application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stickynote1

Jamesy002 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Do I need photo ID for lost passport to be renewed. Last passport issued 3 years ago so 7 yrs left . One page of passport website says no , where as application form says you do .
    If required will they accept photo ID from my job which is a financial institution. I've seen they appear student I'D.

Thanks
    Alan

Would, to be in the safe side. Certified copy of your driving licence will do, they won't accept work id.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What visas or requirements do you need if visiting South America for a 3 week holiday? Also, do you need any vaccinations? I know there are a lot of other tips on the net about drinking water and safety etc but I just want to know the passport/visa and vaccination requirements. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

What visas or requirements do you need if visiting South America for a 3 week holiday? Also, do you need any vaccinations? I know there are a lot of other tips on the net about drinking water and safety etc but I just want to know the passport/visa and vaccination requirements. Thanks.

South America isn't a country!

Name the countries you plan to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Did it first thing this morning.
    Have until June 15 to get it in the post.
    Surely will get from Cork to Limerick by then.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your, and the other posters advice and help.
    Will report back on how I fared out.

From Dublin to Limerick. They have no printing equipment in Cork. Funds and space issue. Those machines cost millions

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Polka King of_the Midwest

Any advice appreciated.

You probably should have made a public counter application. Current turnaround times are 10 working days for online. You've only given yourself 8 before your travel.

https://www.dfa.ie/passporttracking/turnaroundtimes/

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Polka King of_the Midwest

Check with the embassies of the countries you're going to. They will tell you for sure.

In general South America is visa free for Irish passport holders.

• Advertisement

You probably should have made a public counter application. Current turnaround times are 10 working days for online. You've only given yourself 8 before your travel.

https://www.dfa.ie/passporttracking/turnaroundtimes/

Ya, passport tracker says estimated issue date is June 17.
    Due to travel on June 14.
    Current passport expires on June 15.
    Any advice on what I should do now.?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Recliner

If I'm applying for a passport in my married name for the first time, do I need to send the original marriage cert or will a photocopy do?

Original documents only!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sam Wang

May I ask if the Irish passport card is acceptable for renting a car within EU/EEA? Or does it have to be the passport book?

I know most car rental companies only require a driving licence anyway, but I just don’t want to risk being turned down in case someone doesn’t accept the passport card as a valid ID?

Never been asked for passport to rent anywhere in the EU. I wouldn't worry about it. Just check their Terms and Conditions beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sam Wang

Never been asked for passport to rent anywhere in the EU. I wouldn't worry about it. Just check their Terms and Conditions beforehand.

Ironically the only time I was asked for a passport is when I rented a car in Ireland - Kerry airport. That staff also charged me 120 euro extra without mentioning anything in the whole process. I thought it was just a deposit until a few weeks after, and had to start a nasty email exchange with their head office to get my money back.

I have rented numerous times in other EU countries and have never been asked for a passport, but I wasn’t sure if they are legally allowed to request for a passport as ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

My kids passport is out of date, we are travelling by boat to France on the 22nd of June.

Is there a quick way to get a new passport for him before then.

Express is 15 days and that's too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Renewals online has been very fast for adults. You can start the process for children but signed consent forms have to be posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭Nutser

You should go with the paperwork to the passport office. You can make appointments on line to go in for an emergency passport and will need to bring proof of travel. I wouldn't risk sending it in now as I don't think you would receive it in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Current turnaround time for online renwal applications is 10 working days. For child applications, an identity & consent form must be signed & witnessed and posted to the Passport Office. This form is available for you to print during the online application process. The 10 day turnaround time starts from the day the identity & consent form is received & registered by the Passport Service.

Shorter turnaround times are offered at the Passport Office's public counters. As your travel date is outside the 10 day online turnaround window, a counter application is your best option. You will need to book this appointment online at

www.passportappointments.ie

Make sure you read and understand the Ts & Cs and pay close attention to the document requirements and fees.

If your child's passport has expired by more than 5 years the application will be treated as a first time application and will take longer to process.

More info on document requirements and children's passports here:

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/documentary-requirements-passport-applications/

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/passports/passports_for_children.html

Advertisement