Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Passport card is a passport. Well it says so right there on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

butrasgali wrote: »
    Lads your 100percent correct..my advice is coming from the travel agents..I'm on the passport case now..

You'll now have 3 ESTA applications. I forsee a trip to the embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sam Wang

Passport card is a passport. Well it says so right there on it.
    Not according to them:) there’s a bit of back and forth but essentially they argue that the passport card is just like those national identification cards issued by other EU countries. Not gonna argue with them any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Does anyone know when you do an online application but need to send backup docs with the application (it’s a child’s renewal) how long does it generally take for the application to update that they’ve received the documents? I sent mine just over a week ago but they haven’t been added to the online tracker yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hi there. My son's passport is expired but it is also damaged. Last time we used it the dog took an inch out the front cover and 2 inches out of the back the rest is still intact. No damage to inside pages or bio page.
    I have an emergency appointment in Dublin tomorrow morning and I'm worried they will class it as damaged and not issue on the same day.
    I was due to fly out to Spain for my sister in laws wedding Monday morning but panic set in last night when we realised his passport is expired so I've rebooked flights for Tuesday evening.

Does it matter if the passport is damaged if it's expired.

He's 9 with ASD and intellectual disability I'm hoping they will look kindly on us. He's super excited and it's taken alot of prep to get him ready for it.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

rob316 wrote: »
    Hi there. My son's passport is expired but it is also damaged. Last time we used it the dog took an inch out the front cover and 2 inches out of the back the rest is still intact. No damage to inside pages or bio page.
    I have an emergency appointment in Dublin tomorrow morning and I'm worried they will class it as damaged and not issue on the same day.
    I was due to fly out to Spain for my sister in laws wedding Monday morning but panic set in last night when we realised his passport is expired so I've rebooked flights for Tuesday evening.

Does it matter if the passport is damaged if it's expired.

He's 9 with ASD and intellectual disability I'm hoping they will look kindly on us. He's super excited and it's taken alot of prep to get him ready for it.

Thanks

Damage and expiry are not grounds for same day. Death and medical circumstances and genuine emergencies are. At least you've booked Tuesday evening so next day is an option. Fingers crossed

Caranica wrote: »
    Damage and expiry are not grounds for same day. Death and medical circumstances and genuine emergencies are. At least you've booked Tuesday evening so next day is an option. Fingers crossed

Nope.
    Out the door at 10.35, collected passport at 2.

Unreal service.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eddie2008

Nope.

Unreal service.

We might have to do this too. We’re there many appointments available yesterday?

Nope.

Unreal service.

Wow, that's contrary to information coming from the Department of Foreign Affairs and the passport office.

Eddie2008 wrote: »
    We might have to do this too. We’re there many appointments available yesterday?

You need to go online the day before at 12.30pm they release the appointments then. 30 available.
    Saying that I was there at 10 and there was a woman walking around offering people appointments who were travelling tomorrow, so if you can just rock up and see what happens.

Really impressed with the service. Saved my trip and I honestly thought Saturday night no way we were making that wedding. Long bloody day up since 5.30 but I'll be in Spain tomorrow evening so I'm very happy tonight.

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    Wow, that's contrary to information coming from the Department of Foreign Affairs and the passport office.

It's the rapid renewal service, 30 appointments each day untill 12 noon, passports ready after lunch then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Bards

Used the online service for child renewal. Posted backup documents on Monday...online chat confirmation that they have received them and are processing... Anyone have any idea how long this takes as we travel in 3 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Bards wrote: »
    Used the online service for child renewal. Posted backup documents on Monday...online chat confirmation that they have received them and are processing... Anyone have any idea how long this takes as we travel in 3 weeks

It said last week that online renewals were 10 working days for children.
    Can I ask if your tracker updated to say they’d received the docs? I sent mine 2 weeks ago but the tracker hasn’t updated. Online chat didn’t confirm if they’d received the docs or not .

Tracker didn't update but online chat confirmed that they did receive the docs and processing has started

They don't know why it doesn't show this online

We submitted early May, only finished printing last night, should have tomorrow. Fly on Saturday...

I would get on to them with your travel date and ask them to add to the priority list. Children's are definitely taking a lot longer than 10 working days. They prioritise based on travel date.

I've got my local TD involved too, so hopefully should push it along.. I sent a Cover letter telling them when I am traveling with the documentation for good measure too

I've got my local TD involved too, so hopefully should push it along.. I sent a Cover letter telling them when I am traveling with the documentation for good measure too

We did the same ;) But it hasn't stopped it coming to the wire. It will all come down to the date you are travelling. And its busier at the weekend. Learnt that we are just a couple of applications among thousands on priority. If I was to do it again, would have paid the extra to do it at the counter for the peace of mind.

We did the same ;) But it hasn't stopped it coming to the wire. It will all come down to the date you are travelling. And its busier at the weekend. Learnt that we are just a couple of applications among thousands on priority. If I was to do it again, would have paid the extra to do it at the counter for the peace of mind.
    Likewise... And fingers crossed

Just on phone, and have just learnt they have missed the post. I don't believe it.

Just on phone, and have just learnt they have missed the post. I don't believe it.
    Oh FFS

• Advertisement

We got a prominent politician to help. I would cancel and go to the counter. The online system for children is a mess due to the consent forms.

We got a prominent politician to help. I would cancel and go to the counter. The online system for children is a mess due to the consent forms.
    But I dont think you can cancel? Can you?

Yes you can cancel.

If it was me make an appointment at Rapid Renewals 3 working days before your flight https://www.passportappointments.ie/. An extra €63, but you will get it same day. Because the online system is automated you at the mercy of the machines and they are reluctant to hand pick. We are now at the mercy of the Dispatch Manager, if he agrees we can collect at Mount St tomorrow. Going in regardless. The way we have been treated has been a shambles. It could cost us a €1000 or more now to change our flight. DON'T trust a word they say, we have been told it will be alright for the last 3 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

Any idea how long an online renewal takes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Any idea how long an online renewal takes?

For an adult, if everything matches your previous passport and passport file (mother maiden name is correct etc) then about three days. If something is out of place like a wrong letter or odd photograph then about ten days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kilkennny

Hi
    Would anyone be able to shed some light on this for me please, I applied for my 2 kids passports, the online tracking says received 2weeks 6 days, both are first time passports, one says estimated issue date is 8th July the other says 2nd July, both were posted and received by the passport office on the same day. Wondering if both will arrive together, or which date is most likely? Thanks in advance.

kilkennny wrote: »
    Hi
    Would anyone be able to shed some light on this for me please, I applied for my 2 kids passports, the online tracking says received 2weeks 6 days, both are first time passports, one says estimated issue date is 8th July the other says 2nd July, both were posted and received by the passport office on the same day. Wondering if both will arrive together, or which date is most likely? Thanks in advance.
    When did you apply for them and when did you send in your paperwork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hi my sister is flying on thurs day morning

She has no passport. Lost it she thinks and would be out of date anyway.

Anyone know the quickest way of getting one?

Someone mentioned contacting Simon Coveney office directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kilkennny

When did you apply for them and when did you send in your paperwork?

Everything was sent in the start of June and received by the passport office on the 4th of June, both were first passports, just confused as the estimated issue date is the 2nd on one of them and the 8th on the other. They were sent by the post off in the same envelope, same parents so all information would be the same.

• Advertisement

Hi my sister is flying on thurs day morning

She has no passport. Lost it she thinks and would be out of date anyway.

Anyone know the quickest way of getting one?

Someone mentioned contacting Simon Coveney office directly?

How far out of date? If over 5 years then she has a major problem.

She needs an emergency appointment in the passport office. 30 will be released at 12.30 tomorrow for Wednesday. She needs to be online bang on. Anecdotally there are tales of people walking into the passport office and getting appointments on the day but it's a huge risk to take.

Advertisement