Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kilkenny36

Hi,

I am hoping someone that has been through this process can advise. We applied for two passport renewals on the 10th of July. One for me and one for my son. I received mine on the 12th of July which was exceptionally quick.

For my sons application we had to submit an additional form. Until today the online tracking had shown it was awaiting this form. Today it has update saying application is being processed. We are due to fly on the 30th of July and I was wondering if it is likely that the passport will be back by then?

The estimated issue date is showing as the 26th. Mine also had this issue date and i received it back in two days.

Has anyone had any experience with this, how long did it take to receive a childs passport back when done by online application?
    Is there a way to speed the process up or can i collect the passport if we get closer to the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

What's the panic? "Online renewals usually take 10 working days or less."

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Kilkenny36 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am hoping someone that has been through this process can advise. We applied for two passport renewals on the 10th of July. One for me and one for my son. I received mine on the 12th of July which was exceptionally quick.

For my sons application we had to submit an additional form. Until today the online tracking had shown it was awaiting this form. Today it has update saying application is being processed. We are due to fly on the 30th of July and I was wondering if it is likely that the passport will be back by then?

The estimated issue date is showing as the 26th. Mine also had this issue date and i received it back in two days.

Has anyone had any experience with this, how long did it take to receive a childs passport back when done by online application?
    Is there a way to speed the process up or can i collect the passport if we get closer to the day?

We got my daughters back just over 2 weeks after applying. Hers was a 1st time application which takes a bit longer

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kilkenny36

antix80 wrote: »
    What's the panic? "Online renewals usually take 10 working days or less."

I appreciate that but just wanted to make sure it would be back in time. I was wondering if I would get a response stating that it too longer for some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭Steviewinger

Is it still the case that your Irish passport needs to be valid for another six months whilst you travel in USA. I'm only going for a week in August and my passport expires in January.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Is it still the case that your Irish passport needs to be valid for another six months whilst you travel in USA. I'm only going for a week in August and my passport expires in January.
    Thanks

yup and you need a Visa too. I was shocked too when I heard it. You would want to quick step it. I am not even going to the United States, only changing planes in Atlanta, Georgia and I need a Visa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Your ESTA visa needs to match your passport number, so I suggest you get your new passport ASAP. When are you travelling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

An Irish passport only needs to be valid for the length of your stay.
    The esta application is straightforward and only costs 14 dollars, it can be done online and is usually approved within 72 hours, it is electronically attached to your passport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

yup and you need a Visa too. I was shocked too when I heard it. You would want to quick step it. I am not even going to the United States, only changing planes in Atlanta, Georgia and I need a Visa.

You don't need a visa to travel to the US for a holiday on an Irish passport. That's the entire point of the Visa waiver programme, which Ireland is part of. All you need is an ESTA, which is completely different.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You don't need a visa to travel to the US for a holiday on an Irish passport. That's the entire point of the Visa waiver programme, which Ireland is part of. All you need is an ESTA, which is completely different.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visa-waiver-program.html#ExternalPopup
    To qualify for the visa waiver your passport 'You must have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months after your planned departure from the United States' but Ireland is on the exempt list.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »

That was what I meant. Thank you. My Fiancé deals with all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I was in exactly this situation a few years back and was told it’s valid for US for 6 months after expiry. No way they’ll stop you leaving the US but things have changed and gotten uglier so I’d get a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Apply on line for your new passport. I applied on a Saturday and had the new one in the post on Monday morning.

Apply on line for your new passport. I applied on a Saturday and had the new one in the post on Monday morning.

What month was that in? This is the height of season. I always get mine done 3rd week of January, so no complications. Civil servants are always complaining about late applications and TDs letters.

What month was that in? This is the height of season. I always get mine done 3rd week of January, so no complications. Civil servants are always complaining about late applications and TDs letters.

Okay, well my esta is approved now and says it is valid until the date of expiry of my passport. So I am confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

That is correct. Valid till date of passport end. No problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

That is correct. Valid till date of passport end. No problems.

Exactly, have a good trip

Thank you, a few mixed messages here on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Thank you, a few mixed messages here on boards

Unfortunately people post who have no knowledge of the situation and when they're corrected continue posting regardless.

Anyway, enjoy your trip!

Thanks, yeah saw that online.

I won't have more than year left on old documents. Spoke to someone today who recently did it online and they didnt have to return theirs during the process.

Is it clear that old passport remains valid? The FAQ on the passport site is silent on this matter.

I need to renew as I have a trip outside the EU where 6 monhs validity is needed, but I was planning to be away over the August bank holiday in the EU. Can I send off the online renewal and still use the old passport while awaiting the return of the new one?

Why don't they just state this clearly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Dollmerrigan

Hi Guys, I need to renew my passport for a last minute holiday in a few weeks. I would like to change my name to my married name but wondering if it would delay it by much? any Ideas ?

Thanks so much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Is it clear that old passport remains valid? The FAQ on the passport site is silent on this matter.

I need to renew as I have a trip outside the EU where 6 monhs validity is needed, but I was planning to be away over the August bank holiday in the EU. Can I send off the online renewal and still use the old passport while awaiting the return of the new one?

Why don't they just state this clearly?
    Just renewed mine on line 3 weeks ago. Once the new passport is issued the old passport will not be valid. So if your new passport is issued while you are abroad you will not be in posession of a valid passport.

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Just renewed mine on line 3 weeks ago. Once the new passport is issued the old passport will not be valid. So if your new passport is issued while you are abroad you will not be in posession of a valid passport.

Thank you. I did find text to this effect. How long did yours take? If they are quick then I'll just wait until I return.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Thank you. I did find text to this effect. How long did yours take? If they are quick then I'll just wait until I return.
    I applied on a Sunday (on line) for both my wife's and my own. My wife's came on Wednesday (3 days) Mine did not come until the following Thursday (9 workdays)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Emmersonn wrote: »
    I applied on a Sunday (on line) for both my wife's and my own. My wife's came on Wednesday (3 days) Mine did not come until the following Thursday (9 workdays)

Think average is 10 working days so some might be shorter, some longer. Depends if there's issues with photo etc

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

I should be ok to travel from Belfast to Lanzarote on my Irish Passport card? Its in October before Brexit.

Does anyone who has one ever feel the fear when only just bringing it and not their book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Shouldn't be any problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

damianmcr wrote: »
    I should be ok to travel from Belfast to Lanzarote on my Irish Passport card? Its in October before Brexit.

Does anyone who has one ever feel the fear when only just bringing it and not their book?

Lanzarote is part of Spain not the UK. Unless your from the north you’ll be fine with the card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Gael23 wrote: »
    Lanzarote is part of Spain not the UK. Unless your from the north you’ll be fine with the card

Should be fine either way. It's an Irish passport card. Doesn't matter where holder lives or from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Muinteoir2018

We will be hopefully attending a fast turn around apt for a child's passport. The photos look of good quality but they are not separated. The top 2 are stamped and signed not individually but across them both. The bottom 2 are unsigned and unstamped as required. Does anybody know if these will be accepted, or do the top 2 photos need to be each individually signed and stamped?

Advertisement