Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Ive seen that mentioned but sure they wont deny you one. Just take it on the chin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

damianmcr wrote: »
    Ive seen that mentioned but sure they wont deny you one. Just take it on the chin.

I might need to. I’d just be worried that would stop me traveling to certain destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

I doubt that would be the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

My passport expires on October 21 next month and I have a college trip to Edinburgh in December. How quickly can I get it renewed with all the issues surrounding Brexit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

My passport expires on October 21 next month and I have a college trip to Edinburgh in December. How quickly can I get it renewed with all the issues surrounding Brexit?

The turnaround time from when you apply for it until you receive it is about a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Renew it online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

How easy is it in reality to renew an Adult Passport online ?

Any known issues ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

SusanC10 wrote: »

Any known issues ?

It's extremely easy. Once you have all the information they require you won't have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Any known issues ?

Have your photo exactly as per the necessary guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Any known issues ?

If you’re doing a straightforward renewal of your out of date passport with no changes in details and you have your digital photos then it takes less then 10 minutes to do and the passport will be out to you sometimes in 36 hours.
    There are lots of testimonies to this in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you’re doing a straightforward renewal of your out of date passport with no changes in details and you have your digital photos then it takes less then 10 minutes to do and the passport will be out to you sometimes in 36 hours.
    There are lots of testimonies to this in this thread.

I used the photo booth in Tesco, it gives a code to use when your online doing the application. I did it at lunchtime Monday and it was in the letterbox Tuesday morning with the passport card arriving the day after. Really impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

Just to say, I took my sister's photo for her passport in my house before she applied online. I'm not great at using smart phones but it was accepted when she applied so saved her a few Euro in not having to go to bother of going to photo booth or pharmacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Do Aer lingus still allow travel to uk without passport for Irish citizens?
    My passport is out and probably wont have it in time.
    If using driving licence, how do I prove Im an Irish citizen - surely its possible for non citizen to have an irish licence?

Likewise, on the ferry, are there any issues without passport?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

mickdw wrote: »
    Do Aer lingus still allow travel to uk without passport for Irish citizens?
    My passport is out and probably wont have it in time.
    If using driving licence, how do I prove Im an Irish citizen - surely its possible for non citizen to have an irish licence?

Likewise, on the ferry, are there any issues without passport?

travel through larne

neiphin wrote: »
    travel through larne

That is an option but its out of the way.

Ive just seen that myself but wondered in the event of being stopped uk side, how do I prove Im an Irish citizen as free movement only applies to Irish and uk citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

Ive just seen that myself but wondered in the event of being stopped uk side, how do I prove Im an Irish citizen as free movement only applies to Irish and uk citizens.

Stopped where?

Heathrow doesn't have any passport control coming from Ireland. Gatwick has special lane where you only show boarding pass to prove you came from Ireland.

Birmingham - no passport control, Edinburgh same.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Last time I was there in December there were no immigration checks made on the UK side.

Deagol wrote: »
    Stopped where?

Heathrow doesn't have any passport control coming from Ireland. Gatwick has special lane where you only show boarding pass to prove you came from Ireland.

Fair enough - but they are entitled to check if they so wished.
    Last time I was there in December there were no mimmigration checks made on the UK side.

There typically are no checks. Ive never been stopped the few times Ive been over but knowing my luck they would be doing some exercise when Id be going through with just the licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Stopped where?

In theory do random checks in Heathrow , but I haven't seen one since the move to T2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

Fair enough - but they are entitled to check if they so wished.

There typically are no checks. Ive never been stopped the few times Ive been over but knowing my luck they would be doing some exercise when Id be going through with just the licence.

I flew Dublin to Leeds-Bradford at the weekend.
    They checked all our passports, even though we were coming in through their segregated arrival point for Ireland & the Channel Islands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Last time I got the boat to the UK we had to tell them our nationality when getting off. You could always bring the old passport if you are that worried, it'll still show your nationality.

Bristol and Edinburgh both do passport checks on arrival now. Would bring driving licence and expired passport to be sure. They're turning passports around pretty quickly now, if you renew online you may have it on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

Caranica wrote: »
    Bristol and Edinburgh both do passport checks on arrival now. Would bring driving licence and expired passport to be sure. They're turning passports around pretty quickly now, if you renew online you may have it on time.

Yes i heard the same the turn around time with online renewals is supposed to be a good bit quicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wife renewed hers about 6 weeks ago and did it online it took approx 4 days. We did the application on a Sunday had the pp in our hands on Thursday. Great service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

Caranica wrote: »

People are missing the point a bit here. You do not need a passport to travel between Ireland and UK, never have.

Airlines are required to be sure you are entitled to travel before they accept you - failing to do so will result in large fines for them etc. As long as you have photo ID that airline accepts you are clear.

Having said that, I wouldn't travel anywhere without a passport as in it is an important way to establish beyond reasonable doubt that you are Irish citizen.

People are missing the point a bit here. You do not need a passport to travel between Ireland and UK, never have.

Airlines are required to be sure you are entitled to travel before they accept you - failing to do so will result in large fines for them etc. As long as you have photo ID that airline accepts you are clear.

Having said that, I wouldn't travel anywhere without a passport as in it is an important way to establish beyond reasonable doubt that you are Irish citizen.

I know that but my reference was to multiple personal experiences in both airports in the past 12 months. I was specifically asked for a passport. I almost always travel with it anyway but people without faced delays at the desks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I have an appointment on Friday, as child needs new passport in next 2 weeks.

Do myself, and hid mother need to attend the appointment or is it just myself as I made application.

Does my child need to be there aswell (Hes 3)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Ryanair do not allow you to travel without a passport - that is their rules. Aerlingus does - see post above.

Advertisement