Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sarah028

Hi all,
    Anyone know how long it takes to get your documents returned (ie driving licence) after new passport application via passport express? I need my licence for car rental shortly!
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Sarah028 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Anyone know how long it takes to get your documents returned (ie driving licence) after new passport application via passport express? I need my licence for car rental shortly!
    Thanks in advance!

Returned with the passport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I only recently found out that I may not be able to travel with less than 6 months left on my passport, i have tried searching this but cannot find a definitive answer.

can someone help? i am travelling to italy/UK in Jan and France in March, my passport expires in June.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭davetherave

fitzparker wrote: »
    I only recently found out that I may not be able to travel with less than 6 months left on my passport, i have tried searching this but cannot find a definitive answer.

can someone help? i am travelling to italy/UK in Jan and France in March, my passport expires in June.

thanks

Within the EU it just has to be valid up to the date of your return.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/questions/passport-validity-needed-for-overseas-travel/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

fitzparker wrote: »

thanks

6 month rule does not apply to EU travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Hi I’m travelling to USA in December, passport expires in April, am I ok to travel? I have a previous esta still valid but panicking about the 6 month validity.
    Passport office told me to contact us embassy, can’t get through to them on phone as I don’t know extension number.
    I did read on website that Ireland is exempt from need 6 months but I just want to make sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Hi I’m travelling to USA in December, passport expires in April, am I ok to travel? I have a previous esta still valid but panicking about the 6 month validity.
    Passport office told me to contact us embassy, can’t get through to them on phone as I don’t know extension number.
    I did read on website that Ireland is exempt from need 6 months but I just want to make sure

You are fine. I travelled last November. Passport was due to expire in April. Had the same panic attack the night before was due to travel. It was all grand.

Batgurl wrote: »
    You are fine. I travelled last November. Passport was due to expire in April. Had the same panic attack the night before was due to travel. It was all grand.

Thanks, nightmares at this stage

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

It's a requirement for passport holders from some countries but Ireland isn't one of them. Ireland is in the 6 month club (exempted from 6 month requirement).

https://www.cbp.gov/document/bulletins/six-month-club-update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

don't understand the nightmares and panic - it's as clear as day : passport validity for Irish citizens must cover the duration of your stay.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/questions/passport-validity-needed-for-overseas-travel/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Why would you not just accept what the Dept of Foreign Affairs says?

splinter65 wrote: »
    Why would you not just accept what the Dept of Foreign Affairs says?

Just nervous I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Just nervous I suppose.

If I were nervous about my journey then I would definitely accept the official information provided by both the US government and the Irish government about that journey rather then go on a chat room to look for advice for some random daft anonymous poster to send me off down a blind alley of panic.
    Life is difficult enough without creating more stress.
    Happy travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

just a bit of good news that you can now apply for a first time kids passport online if you live in IRL/ UK / EU/ EEA . It was possible recently for just renewals but is now extended to all passports!

You fill the form online, add the photo and then print the Identity confirmation and consent document that you get from the DFA and get it signed by a relevant person. You then post it with your bundle of documents to the DFA and thats it.

Kids can also now get the passport card but somewhat perversely it costs a fiver more than a passport !

All in all though this is really progressive stuff from the passport office and hats off to all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

This might be the incorrect thread for my query, so mods feel free to move it if that's the case.

I have a work trip next month, flying from Dublin to London. My flights have been booked with BA. However, the name on flights have a slight error. My name on my passport has an 'e' at the end of my first name. The 'e' is only on my passport, other IDs (such as driving licence) doesn't have it. The flights have been booked without the 'e'. Is this likely to cause me hassle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

This might be the incorrect thread for my query, so mods feel free to move it if that's the case.

I have a work trip next month, flying from Dublin to London. My flights have been booked with BA. However, the name on flights have a slight error. My name on my passport has an 'e' at the end of my first name. The 'e' is only on my passport, other IDs (such as driving licence) doesn't have it. The flights have been booked without the 'e'. Is this likely to cause me hassle?

I think BA might allow minor name changes for free, probably worth ringing to ask just in case there’s any hassle on the day.
    I’d guess you’d likely get away with it but if it can be changed with no fee you might as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

You can fly Dublin to London with BA with just your driving license. Problem solved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭irishfemme

Hi, have a 3 months old baby that I need to get a passport for, her father & myself are married, so I believe we automatically share guardianship.

Her father doesn't live in Ireland, so he is unavailable to sign the passport form, furthermore, going to the nearest Irish embassy in his country of residence will be very tasking, as it's in another state.

Now, My query is, would the court accept the above explanation as a valid reason to dispense his consent? I live in Dublin 24, do I need to go to dolphin house? They don't seem to pick up their phones, so do I just walk in?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bean6888

Hi I have a question regarding the estimated date and peoples experience of how often it goes over/under.

I applied for a first time passport through the German irish embassy back in mid august. The application only got to ireland on 31.10.19 which was a long wait time already.

My understanding is that the embassy performs the checks then sends it onto to Ireland to do the printing etc once entitlement is confirmed.

However the estimated issue date is 12.12.19. As of today it still says application being processed.

Is it at all likely I'll receive the passport before this date based on anyones experience?

I'm hoping early december so I can actually make travel plans with it that I was anticipating making for Novemeber but have had to wait.

4 months for a passport turnaround is very poor in my opinion and the worse thing is they now have online applications available for all residents of the EU, which looking at the turnaround times if I had started my application again now would be quicker than the paper one I have in the system for months :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Bean6888 wrote: »
    Hi I have a question regarding the estimated date and peoples experience of how often it goes over/under.

I applied for a first time passport through the German irish embassy back in mid august. The application only got to ireland on 31.10.19 which was a long wait time already.

My understanding is that the embassy performs the checks then sends it onto to Ireland to do the printing etc once entitlement is confirmed.

However the estimated issue date is 12.12.19. As of today it still says application being processed.

Is it at all likely I'll receive the passport before this date based on anyones experience?

I'm hoping early december so I can actually make travel plans with it that I was anticipating making for Novemeber but have had to wait.

4 months for a passport turnaround is very poor in my opinion and the worse thing is they now have online applications available for all residents of the EU, which looking at the turnaround times if I had started my application again now would be quicker than the paper one I have in the system for months :(

Have you access to another travel document you could travel on in the meantime as a back up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

i renewed my passport about 1 month ago.
    applied on a monday evening. had 6 week waiting time indicated as the delivery date.
    the passport arrived to my home address on wednesday which suggests it was processed the day they recieved it..
    i got a passport card also and that was sent separately and arrived on a friday.

i dont know if first time or the fact you are applying from foreign country would affect it, but delivery times seem extremely efficient at the moment. i heard a few people comment similarly in previous months.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Have you access to another travel document you could travel on in the meantime as a back up?

No it's to get a visa which I need the irish passport for. I have no choice but to wait however I'm keen to begin my travel plans hence hoping for it earlier than the earimated issue date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Bean6888 wrote: »
    No it's to get a visa which I need the irish passport for. I have no choice but to wait however I'm keen to begin my travel plans hence hoping for it earlier than the earimated issue date

I'd say contact the embassy you submitted it to directly and explain your issue and they may be able to assist in turning it around quicker if at all possible.

Eod100 wrote: »
    I'd say contact the embassy you submitted it to directly and explain your issue and they may be able to assist in turning it around quicker if at all possible.

Checked the tracker today and say it's being printed! Very happy as I'm assuming that means I should have it in a week or so. Seems all the delay was on the embassy side before they sent it to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Can anyone tell me how long it's taking for passport renewals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how long it's taking for passport renewals?

On line two or three days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Could someone please help me out.

I am applying for my first Irish passport but have made Christmas travel plans.

Anyone familiar if I could get Passport (first time application) in 5 working days? I am planning to visit Cork Passport office.

Any help is appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Anyone familiar if I could get Passport (first time application) in 5 working days? I am planning to visit Cork Passport office.

Any help is appreciated.

No chance. First passport applications take considerably longer than that. We have one of the most valuable passports in the world. Visiting an office won't make a difference especially as they can't print passports in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Any help is appreciated.

First time applicants turnaround time is shown as 20 days for online application and 18 for postal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I have found this info on passport office appointment :
    Passport Issued 0-5 working days after appointment
    Adult Large Passport €195

I have selected First Time application. Perhaps it's for passport renewal.
    Caranica wrote: »
    No chance. First passport applications take considerably longer than that. We have one of the most valuable passports in the world. Visiting an office won't make a difference especially as they can't print passports in Cork.

Advertisement