Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I have found this info on passport office appointment :
    Passport Issued 0-5 working days after appointment
    Adult Large Passport €195

I have selected First Time application. Perhaps it's for passport renewal.

That is absolutely for a renewal. A large passport is for people who travel a lot to countries that require visas and therefore need more space than is available in an average passport.

As posted above, you will not get a first time passport in anything like 5 days unless it was a serious, documented, emergency and even then it would be very difficult. You are looking at getting the passport in January at this stage given the fewer working days in December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Renewed my 34 page passport/ID card online last Wednesday and got in the post the next day. The expected arrival was the 16th December.

That is very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Renewed my passport online on Tuesday night, arrived in the post today. Shocked at the speed of it, especially at this time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Hey folks,

Whilst traveling, the top right corner on the page with my signature on it managed to get creased. The passport other than this is undamaged with the machine readable part being immaculate (see attachment for what this looks like - I had to block out the number of my passport on the page)

Do you reckon that this will be okay to travel with? Particularly to the US, where I know their rules can be more stringent than other countries.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's not ripped, so will be grand in my opinion, so long as it can still be stamped, it's only a crease!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭stevek93

Put a weight on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I need to renew passport for my kids. It seems you can now do them online. Regarding photos it seems there are a number of options and the easiest being taking them ourselves, but they will have to be approved.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Do you get instant notification if your pictures are ok or not? Might be easier to go somewhere to get them done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Seve OB wrote: »
    I need to renew passport for my kids. It seems you can now do them online. Regarding photos it seems there are a number of options and the easiest being taking them ourselves, but they will have to be approved.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Do you get instant notification if your pictures are ok or not? Might be easier to go somewhere to get them done?

Yeah. Done it the other day. You submit abs they say yes or no more or less instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Easily done if you have a half decent camera and pale or white background.

Use natural light if possible, no shadows across the face and just take your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

They can be approved initially before being rejected subsequently.
    This happened my brother. He then foolishly entered into a row about it online with whoever replied to his outraged email/tweet whatever.
    A second attempt at a photo was also rejected. He says as an act of malice.
    He then took them to a professional and the passport arrived 48 hours before the flight to Ireland.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    They can be approved initially before being rejected subsequently.

yea thats what i was concerned with. how long did it take before they were subsequently rejected?

what is the lead time on passports these days anyway? last time we had to get one for our other kid it took nearly 2 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭This is it

Online is about 5 working days now, pretty good

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

yea thats what i was concerned with. how long did it take before they were subsequently rejected?

what is the lead time on passports these days anyway? last time we had to get one for our other kid it took nearly 2 months

Just get them done at a Photo Me booth. It tells you there and then if the photos are compliant. You'll receive a physical copy of the photos and a code for the digital copy of the photos. You enter the code on the online passport application and Photo Me transmit the photo to the passport office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sk8board

Hi folks,
    The website for the German embassy says they have zero appointments to renew a passport until March, but also March isn’t available to book yet (?). I thought the site might be broken so I called them today and had a very cold call with a gentleman who seemed to think this was normal and to just watch the website for the March appointments to open up. He also said appointments can only be made online and that there was no way to cancel an appointment, so presumably there are no-shows that are empty slots.

My question is - have any of you showed up and hoped for a cancellation, or would you be stopped at the gate?

As it is we can’t travel for at least the next 3 months now, as the passport goes to Berlin after we get (hopefully) a March appointment once they open. Passport expires in July.

For such an efficient country, it’s a bizarrely poor system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You can travel between now and the appointment unless you plan to visit one of those few countries that require six month validity beyond the end of your stay. Any chance you can travel to Germany and renew while you're there?

we gave it a go this evening with one of the girls but it seemed to crash at the end. we'll call them tomorrow and see what the craic is.
    the photo me booth sounds ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Easily done if you have a half decent camera and pale or white background.

Use natural light if possible, no shadows across the face and just take your time.

natural light and a flash did the trick for me, as the flash infilled any shadow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Had a nightmare doing the photos for my 3 week old last week.
    Too close, too far away. Person not looking at camera etc.
    Tells you there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I went the photo booth a couple of years ago. After a couple of goes I got pics they said were acceptable.

Put the code into the passport site... not accepted

Wife got an app (Android) that allowed photos be edited to make them passport acceptable (effectively it made the background what they were looking for). She’s away at the moment so can’t give you the name but I’m sure a search will bring it up. Used it recently for other applications too

Caranica wrote: »
    You can travel between now and the appointment unless you plan to visit one of those few countries that require six month validity beyond the end of your stay. Any chance you can travel to Germany and renew while you're there?

looking into that too, but had only planned to be in Germany over a long weekend if at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

sk8board wrote: »
    <snip>
    For such an efficient country, it’s a bizarrely poor system
    its not going to change any time soon.

They just announced this week that theres imminent plans to ban self taken booth or photographer photos in favour of getting them taken on site at one of the 5500 passport offices across germany.
    (so if they are spending 177 million on poxy photo booths and maintenance for 5 years, it seems that they have zero plans to do it online or anything modern like that )

https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/morphing-passfotos-sollen-kuenftig-nur-noch-im-amt-unter.1939.de.html?drn:news_id=1088672

Sure maybe get an irish one if you can. You barely need to be in ireland a fortnight (or long weekend!) and you're entitled to one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just want to drop in to update my own experience of the Online renewal system.

i bloody love it.
    My son's renewal is quite a complicated affair. His mother is deceased and despite my having both court appointed custody and sole guardianship.
    I still have to go through the rigmarole of the affidavit, and certified death certifciate. I understand why, of course but it is quite distressing digging out the paperwork and getting everything in order including a visit to a solicitor to get the notarisation.

The new system, still requires all that paperwork (despite them having had it sent in twice previously) but it allows for all the verification to be completed by a guard and makes the process a lot simpler.
    This was my Son's 3rd (and final) renewal since we lost his mam, and by far it was the least upsetting.

My own renewal, 5 minutes with my current passport number, PPSN and PPSN card number and expected delivery date is 21/1/20.

Far far better than the passport express or direct application system.

Would love to see far more departments adopt this digital 1st approach to our public services.

Sure maybe get an irish one if you can. You barely need to be in ireland a fortnight (or long weekend!) and you're entitled to one

To add to the South African and German ones :)
    To be honest that’s where it’s headed - over a decade here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jacovs

sk8board wrote: »
    To add to the South African and German ones :)
    To be honest that’s where it’s headed - over a decade here now.

Dont forget to apply for your SA retention before applying for Irish citizenship. Same as you did before you got german citizenship (assuming you were SA first).

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Space Dog

You won't get past the gate without an appointment. I was 20 min early for my appointment and security told me to come back 5 min beforehand, they wouldn't even let me in early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Planning on traveling to U.K. in Feb or Mar. 1 of our kids passports expires in Jul 2020. Will I need to get it renewed or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

It only needs to be valid for the period that you are staying.

So no need to renew it now as it is valid. Thought I had previously read that if it gets within six months of expiry one should renew their passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

So no need to renew it now as it is valid. Thought I had previously read that if it gets within six months of expiry one should renew their passport.

If you are irish you do not need a passport to go to the uk. That remains the case after brexit

• Advertisement

Thought you needed a passport at the airport regardless as a form of ID. I would have any other form of photographic ID for the child.

Advertisement