Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭leonlafrite

This morning It said Dispatched for both and got tracking number too (not active yet but this is normal)
    I expect to have it tomorrow as based in Dublin.

You will probably get the tracking tomorrow and maybe receive it 1 or 2 days after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

This morning It said Dispatched for both and got tracking number too (not active yet but this is normal)
    I expect to have it tomorrow as based in Dublin.

You will probably get the tracking tomorrow and maybe receive it 1 or 2 days after that.

Doesn't all post go into a one day quarantine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

yenom wrote: »
    Doesn't all post go into a one day quarantine?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭leonlafrite

Got the 2 passports this morning !!! Great service !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

chinwag wrote: »
    Processing of online passport applications will resume next week

https://www.thejournal.ie/passport-office-applications-5114161-Jun2020/

Can you only get a passport, online now? Are paper forms plus photos no longer being accepted by An Post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Got the 2 passports this morning !!! Great service !!

Glad you got sorted!

Can you only get a passport, online now? Are paper forms plus photos no longer being accepted by An Post?

There's a bit below on their site: https://www.dfa.ie/passports/ Looks like online for the time being.

Passport Express

The processing of Passport Express applications will not recommence until later in the summer. Post offices in Ireland will not be accepting applications made via the Passport Express system during this time. If you have already sent an application, your application is safe and will be processed in due course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

They are but they take much much longer. People are urged to apply online where possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I know not everyone can apply online but as can be seen here regularly it’s far and away the best option, especially for the most likely transaction of simply renewing a passport. Anyone unable for whatever reason to use the internet should get some help as it’s an especially well done service. I had my own passport in less than 24hours which for any state department is phenomenal.

Caranica wrote: »
    They are but they take much much longer. People are urged to apply online where possible.

You cannot apply in a post office at the moment.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    I know not everyone can apply online but as can be seen here regularly it’s far and away the best option, especially for the most likely transaction of simply renewing a passport. Anyone unable for whatever reason to use the internet should get some help as it’s an especially well done service. I had my own passport in less than 24hours which for any state department is phenomenal.

I think only real issue is taking photo but once you get that right it's seamless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think only real issue is taking photo but once you get that right it's seamless

Yeah seems so, I used the machine in Tesco which gives you a code that can be inputted and it worked perfectly but I have seen a few people mention some issues getting their photo submitted and passed.

salmocab wrote: »
    Yeah seems so, I used the machine in Tesco which gives you a code that can be inputted and it worked perfectly but I have seen a few people mention some issues getting their photo submitted and passed.

Yeah I got mine from one of those too. Think it was PhotoMe. That's really the only hurdle once you put data in correct.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah I got mine from one of those too. Think it was PhotoMe. That's really the only hurdle once you put data in correct.

Alot of people get held up by not inputting data exactly as their old passport says. For example if your old passport is O'Connell and you write O Connell, that requires a manual check. The same for McDonald and Mc Donald or fadas. It needs to be 100% the same as the last passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If I’m doing an online application with a name change, will I just have to post a marriage cert? Is it normal post or will i have to go to the post office to have it sent (like a passport application would be sent in the post office?).
    Also, I know the general consensus is that online applications are very quick, how much additional time does changing my name add, does anyone know? (I’m trying to decide if I’ll change my name or not!)

jlm29 wrote: »
    If I’m doing an online application with a name change, will I just have to post a marriage cert? Is it normal post or will i have to go to the post office to have it sent (like a passport application would be sent in the post office?).
    Also, I know the general consensus is that online applications are very quick, how much additional time does changing my name add, does anyone know? (I’m trying to decide if I’ll change my name or not!)

You get a piece of paper to print off with a barcode. You send that along with the marriage cert to the address provided. I can't answer about times over the virus. The website says ten working days though.

yenom wrote: »
    You get a piece of paper to print off with a barcode. You send that along with the marriage cert to the address provided. I can't answer about times over the virus. The website says ten working days though.

Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Straightforward online applications take a couple of days. Applications which need additional paperwork take longer. If you’re in a hurry for your passport then I’d leave the name change for another time. If you’ve got a few weeks to spare then you’ll have time.

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    Straightforward online applications take a couple of days. Applications which need additional paperwork take longer. If you’re in a hurry for your passport then I’d leave the name change for another time. If you’ve got a few weeks to spare then you’ll have time.

Thanks. I’m not in any rush at all. I’m on the fence about the name change, so was Just trying to ascertain how much extra hassle it would be :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Thanks. I’m not in any rush at all. I’m on the fence about the name change, so was Just trying to ascertain how much extra hassle it would be :)
    There’s a place on passport for maiden name. May be called something else, like born as, but you can have both names on passport if you wish.

• Advertisement

There’s a place on passport for maiden name. May be called something else, like born as, but you can have both names on passport if you wish.

Thanks a mil. I hadn’t looked at the form yet at all because I’m waiting on a marriage cert. that’s the obvious solution so!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

I applied for my 1st Irish passport online a month ago using the online service and sending them all the required docs,

Have not heard a thing since I sent them everything. Today was meant to be my issuing date ? However it has not been shipped,

Anyone have any idea of how much longer I might have to wait ? As they have my birth certificate !!!

I applied for my 1st Irish passport online a month ago using the online service and sending them all the required docs,

Have not heard a thing since I sent them everything. Today was meant to be my issuing date ? However it has not been shipped,

Anyone have any idea of how much longer I might have to wait ? As they have my birth certificate !!!

First passports take significantly longer than a month at this time of year in a normal year, would expect them to take even longer now. Do you urgently need your birth certificate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Siby

I applied for my daughters passport in May. We’re supposed to be travelling on Monday 13th of July. I’ve called the office and stated I need to travel for an emergency and have sent it appropriate documents. Estimate dispatch date was today. Called office again and lady in the phone was so rude. Basically told me off for calling and told me to wait or leave my 2 month old behind and go(?) A guy I spoke to said it could still come by Friday. It’s been with a checker for the past couple of weeks.

Anyone any ideas on what I can do?

Siby wrote: »
    I applied for my daughters passport in May. We’re supposed to be travelling on Monday 13th of July. I’ve called the office and stated I need to travel for an emergency and have sent it appropriate documents. Estimate dispatch date was today. Called office again and lady in the phone was so rude. Basically told me off for calling and told me to wait or leave my 2 month old behind and go(?) A guy I spoke to said it could still come by Friday. It’s been with a checker for the past couple of weeks.

Anyone any ideas on what I can do?

Call or email your local TD's office. There is an Oireachtas service desk and they can follow up for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Passport arrived within 24 hours, was very shocked at the speed of it. Quick question, I ordered the passport card as well but that didn't arrive with the passport, are they supposed to arrive together or should I expect it separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Separately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm applying for a newborn child's passport, first time.
    I finished as much as I could online, two weeks ago, and as the birth cert just arrived this morning, I'm now sending the supporting documents.
    How long should I expect it to take?
    I know people said it's busy at the moment due to covid, but I also expected there to be less demand for passports at the moment for the same reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

my passport card arrived about 10 days or so after the passport.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    I'm applying for a newborn child's passport, first time.
    I finished as much as I could online, two weeks ago, and as the birth cert just arrived this morning, I'm now sending the supporting documents.
    How long should I expect it to take?
    I know people said it's busy at the moment due to covid, but I also expected there to be less demand for passports at the moment for the same reason.

20 working days according to their site. May be longer under the circumstances. https://www.dfa.ie/passports/turnaround-times/

Advertisement