Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir gigabit broadband review

• 21-03-2019 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hey , just wondering what's people experiences are with this . Have the standard 100mb service with Eir .They currently arent providing gigabit bb in my area but I imagine it will down the line . Have phonewatch alarm so I need a phone line . I've read up on Siro and it operates without a phoneline . So don't want to be paying for both .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭Nollog

Eir's ftth would also work without the phoneline, as it's the same technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Eir's ftth would also work without the phoneline, as it's the same technology.

Yeah , I was wondering about that . Have to keep the phoneline so in a quandary about this .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Yeah , I was wondering about that . Have to keep the phoneline so in a quandary about this .

Some ISPs such as eir, will allow you to keep the copper phone line. You will not be charged twice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Prior to having FTTH, we had 2 copper lines going into the house, this was because back in the early days of the internet I wanted a seperate copper line for the internet so that phone calls/internet use would not be interruped. I orginally got ISDN installed on the second line and eventually that became ADSL.

Since getting FTTH I got the phone line disabled, because with FTTH you don't need a copper line and our mobiles are cheaper for making calls. Getting FTTH has saved me over 50 euros a month and now have a fantastic fibre broadband service.

I went for the 300/50 plan with Eir and download speeds always reach 286 meg on speedtests, they never go lower. Upload always reaches about 49 meg. Ping times are extremely good, usually between 2 and 5ms to Irish servers and 15 to 20ms to UK servers and about 30ms to the EU mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cathal9

Have phonewatch alarm so I need a phone line . I've read up on Siro and it operates without a phoneline . So don't want to be paying for both .

phonewatch and the likes are offering alarms without the need for a phone line these days. They just stick a sim card in it AFAIK. Worth calling them and asking anyway, no need for the copper lines otherwise when you go to FTTH

• Advertisement

Some ISPs such as eir, will allow you to keep the copper phone line. You will not be charged twice

This would be an excellent option if possible . I'm actually fine with the 100mb connection . I'm not a gamer , just torrent and watch iptv . It would be nice to have a better connection though when your juggling at few things at the same time & encounter buffering .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I got eir FTTH and my copper line remains in place with the phone connected to it.
    There is no extra charge for this.
    I do not make any calls out on the land line .... it is used only for receiving calls.
    All outgoing calls are made over VOIP which is the cheapest way using my old router with VOIP functions.
    Best of both worlds really .... if power goes out I can use the landline for emergency calls.

I got eir FTTH and my copper line remains in place with the phone connected to it.
    There is no extra charge for this.
    I do not make any calls out on the land line .... it is used only for receiving calls.
    All outgoing calls are made over VOIP which is the cheapest way using my old router with VOIP functions.
    Best of both worlds really .... if power goes out I can use the landline for emergency calls.

Is the Eir gigabit service the same as the one been rolled out by Siro ? No sign of eir providing the service yet but Siro says it's on the way in my area .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is the Eir gigabit service the same as the one been rolled out by Siro ? No sign of eir providing the service yet but Siro says it's on the way in my area .

They are two different services provided by two different commercial operators.
    The maximum download speed of both is presently the same ..... 1 Gb/s ..... and both services are provided using similar technology (Fibre to the Premises/Home).

There are a range of services provided on this technology by both companies ..... different download speeds; tv services; phone services.

As both are commercial operations, they decide where they provide the service ...... based on their own commercial realities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Why do you need a land line for phonewatch?
    I connect mine to my LAN via ethernet.

• Advertisement

I'm currently renting at the moment so I don't want to mess with the alarm set up the landlord has in place .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

What happens to phonewatch in the event of a power cut if it's just connected to broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Mortelaro wrote: »
    What happens to phonewatch in the event of a power cut if it's just connected to broadband?

There is a backup 3g/4g sim in the alarm device.

There is a backup 3g/4g sim in the alarm device.

Just wondering too that when siro becomes available in my area ( ashbourne) will that mean that eir will provide the same service ? Is siro using a different infrastructure. They ( eir )provide gigabit broadband in other locations obviously.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just wondering too that when siro becomes available in my area ( ashbourne) will that mean that eir will provide the same service ? Is siro using a different infrastructure. They ( eir )provide gigabit broadband in other locations obviously.

Siro is a completely separate fibre network to OpenEir (Eir) and usually available in different locations to Eir's FTTH.

Siro and OpenEir use the same standard for their FTTH Networks, however the customer would see higher upload speeds on Siro's Network because they allow better upload speeds than OpenEir have set on their network.

Siro speeds available: 150/30, 350/75, 500/100, 1000/250
    OpenEir speeds available: 150/30, 300/50, 1000/100

Gonzo wrote: »
    Siro is a completely separate fibre network to OpenEir (Eir) and usually available in different locations to Eir's FTTH.

Siro and OpenEir use the same standard for their FTTH Networks, however the customer would see higher upload speeds on Siro's Network because they allow better upload speeds than OpenEir have set on their network.

Nice one . Just weighing up the options of switching to Siro. If I wasn't renting I'd do it in a flash .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gonzo wrote: »

SIRO is currently 150/30, 350/70, 600/120, 1000/200

Also, Eir has no plans offering on third party networks, so they will never be available on SIRO.

For house alarms, I would get your alarm company to convert your system to GSM. Then you won't need a phone line at all

/M

Advertisement