Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 2x10 'The Red Angel' [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

• 21-03-2019 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That time again folks :)

I've no idea what this episode could be about. Episode title is very cryptic.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

I bet it’s Burnham, why all those transporter yokes around her ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Well played on the bait and switch on the angel's identity by playing to the "obvious" answer that I, for one, fell for.

I did like the snarky exchanges between Burnham and Spock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well, well, well - don't think anyone saw that coming

maybe spoiler that Spear

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

fritzelly wrote: »

maybe spoiler that Spear

I've spoilered it as there's no warning in the thread title, so just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well.....a lot of information was given in that episode!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    I bet it’s Burnham, why all those transporter yokes around her ?

I am rage quitting this show if it's Burnham but it does look to be heading in that direction... (and then, like an addict, I'll be back for more next week anyway :pac:). If it is Burnham though there's a major temporal bootstrap paradox to resolve.

I was hoping they were going to leave the origin and motive of the red angel unresolved, it did seem like they were hinting towards that at the beginning with their rather unsubtle scene discussing Clarke's Law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭liamtech

Average Discovery Episode - SPOILERS!!!

Good Parts:

-S31 designed the Red angel -

-Attack that killed Burnhams Parents now has purpose!

-Spock Was Excellent i thought

-Leiland was also descent

We can assume as per last week that the red angel is traveling through time to prevent the rise of Skynet.. Hal9000... Control - cool:D - to be honest i kinda like the plot for season 2 although its pace is SO SO uneven

Bad Parts

-MICHAEL is the center of the known universe, and is responsible for everything that has happened, and will happen for 1000+ years

- Her mother is the red angel and presumably gives her the suit making Michael the red angel - and explaining why they think its her - it is her, just not at the moment

Again i really hope writers are paying attention to fan reaction to Burnham - and maybe realizing that she is far too central to everything - last thing we need is her mentoring Kirk next season or something mental like that

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

liamtech wrote: »

.... - last thing we need is her mentoring doing the nasty thing with Kirk next season or something mental like that

I made your statement more logically consistent with what we know of Star Fleet's finest ..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

liamtech wrote: »

-Spock Was Excellent i thought

-Leiland was also descent
    I fully agree with the above.
    The reveal at the very end was a genuine surprise to me...
    I suppose Leiland is now er.. "controlled" by Control until further notice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

At least it wasn't Michael, or at least it's not exclusively Michael. I'm not sure that Michael being so singularly special that she can't die is really any better though.

Who thought time crystal was fine as a name? Did some writer write [Time Crystal] and forget to find and replace before submitting the script?

More tidying up of the season 1 anachronisms by having the woman who used to play Airiam take over Airiam's station as a different character.

Georgiou, or anyone else really, need to tell Tilly to shut up at least once an episode.

Culber's my scans would detect if this was fake bit doesn't really inspire confidence after all those times he scanned Ash and didn't realise he was a Klnigon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Evade wrote: »
    More tidying up of the season 1 anachronisms by having the woman who used to play Airiam take over Airiam's station as a different character.

I laughed at that moment.

It's nice that the kept the original actress. They certainly seem to have gone to a lot of effort to do so. Maybe there was issues with the make-up that wasn't her fault or she's related to one of the producers.

or she's related to one of the producers.
    The new Vorik/Taurik.

Who thought time crystal was fine as a name? Did some writer write [Time Crystal] and forget to find and replace before submitting the script?

Or just took the name from the real thing, since they're real things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_crystal

Sara Mitich apparently had allergic reactions to the makeup, hence she was recast, but they still honoured her contract and gave her a new character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

I found this one to kind of drag out, and although the end was pretty exciting, the way there was filled with scenes with Ash, which I'm no fan of...

The Funeral: I kept thinking back to Spock's funeral in ST:II. Even the end of the scene was similar. I felt that they dragged that scene out to the point where most of the impact was lost. It should have just been one or two speeches and then a send-off with Saru's song. Adding all of the other speeches just bloated the scene and made it drag on...

Michael's talk with Leiland: This came across as very silly.

Leiland: I'm sorry, but your parents were in S31 and it's my fault that they died on the job....

Michael: What are you saying?

Leiland: That....your parents died...because S31....and it was my bad. I'm sorry.

Michael: I...don't....what are you saying?!

Leiland: Your folks! Section 31 Agents!!! They died!! My bad!!!

Micheal: Wait a minute....I think I figured this out....my parents were in Section 31 weren't they?

Leiland: I just said that now and-

Micheal:
    It was YOUR FAULT too! Wasn't it?!

Leiland: Were you even listening...yes!! I just said that....

Micheal: PUNCH!

Spear wrote: »
    Or just took the name from the real thing, since they're real things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_crystal
    If they took the name from a real thing that can be created on Earth why go to another planet to find one?

If they took the name from a real thing that can be created on Earth why go to another planet to find one?

Because that wouldn't lead to Klingons and a dramatic reveal.

Because that wouldn't lead to Klingons and a dramatic reveal.
    It's aliens invading Earth for water then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

Well played on the bait and switch on the angel's identity by playing to the "obvious" answer that I, for one, fell for.

I did like the snarky exchanges between Burnham and Spock.

When they started saying it was Micheal, in the early scenes, I was wondering how they where going to resolve that. Possibly alternative timelines (or another parallel world). Because there was no way for here to be able to save herself.

Also kind of annoyed that it was going to be her. So kind of glad that there maybe more than one person in the suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I need to watch back as I seem to have missed what happened with Leiland. I seen what happened to him but I'm not sure where he was, what he was doing, or why he was there.

Rawr wrote: »
    I found this one to kind of drag out, and although the end was pretty exciting, the way there was filled with scenes with Ash, which I'm no fan of...

The Funeral: I kept thinking back to Spock's funeral in ST:II. Even the end of the scene was similar. I felt that they dragged that scene out to the point where most of the impact was lost. It should have just been one or two speeches and then a send-off with Saru's song. Adding all of the other speeches just bloated the scene and made it drag on...

Michael's talk with Leiland: This came across as very silly.

Leiland: I'm sorry, but your parents were in S31 and it's my fault that they died on the job....

Michael: What are you saying?

Leiland: That....your parents died...because S31....and it was my bad. I'm sorry.

Michael: I...don't....what are you saying?!

Leiland: Your folks! Section 31 Agents!!! They died!! My bad!!!

Micheal: Wait a minute....I think I figured this out....my parents were in Section 31 weren't they?

Leiland: I just said that now and-

Micheal:
    It was YOUR FAULT too! Wasn't it?!

Leiland: Were you even listening...yes!! I just said that....

Micheal: PUNCH!

LMAO!!!!!:D:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I need to watch back as I seem to have missed what happened with Leiland. I seen what happened to him but I'm not sure where he was, what he was doing, or why he was there.

AI needled him in the eye. Maybe nanoprobes to control him like a Borg drone.

AI needled him in the eye. Maybe nanoprobes to control him like a Borg drone.

Something went in, you can see something dissipating or spreading in the eye afterwards. I had previously assumed the future big baddy was an evolved Control, but this makes it seem more like the Borg are.

Something went in, you can see something dissipating or spreading in the eye afterwards. I had previously assumed the future big baddy was an evolved Control, but this makes it seem more like the Borg are.

I would be alright with Control being the birth of the borg

I assumed it killed him and then gave the command to close the wormhole (using his voice) once it had fully transferred over to the S31 ship...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Cough cough - from the previous episode's thread...
    Could be two Red Angels, one for each of Burham's parents. Would explain why one seemed female and the other didn't. Also Michael didn't actually see them die and Section 31 seem to be involved in their death in some way so there is more to be resolved there. It would be dumb but then I fully expect a dumb conclusion to the mystery anyway.

As the episode went on I became more and more convinced that it would be her mother or both her parents. Kurtzman is too much of a hack to not rely on parent issues as a source of drama. And it gave Michael Burnham yet another opportunity to make that one teary face she makes.

But how come the neural scan (or whatever) said it was 100% a match for Burnham? Was the test simply not sophisticated enough to distinguish between mother and daughter? If it does make medical sense then how come they were so convinced that it was Burnham and not some future descendent of her's?

Why did Michael feel she had the "right" to know more and why does everyone bend over to appease her? Surely if they thought they were trying to capture future Michael they should have kept her out of the operation all together, the less she knows the better.

Please don't be the Borg. Please don't be the Borg. Please don't be the Borg. Please don't be the Borg. Please don't be the Borg.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Culber mistaking the signature for Burnham felt sloppy, but honestly I found the idea of Klingons researching time travel more unconvincing.

That we never actually see any other caste in its society doesn't help, but they never strike as anything except as a brute force kind of species.

Maybe Michael takes on the suit to finish what her mother started, getting all timey wimey we still don't know it was the mother in all the appearances...

pixelburp wrote: »
    Culber mistaking the signature for Burnham felt sloppy, but honestly I found the idea of Klingons researching time travel more unconvincing.

That we never actually see any other caste in its society doesn't help, but they never strike as anything except as a brute force kind of species.

i reckon michael grabs the suit now and begins using it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I liked that episode. Spock done really well again.

Liked the twist at the end. Almost to the last second I didn't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maybe Michael takes on the suit to finish what her mother started, getting all timey wimey we still don't know it was the mother in all the appearances...
    This is definitely it. There's no reason to assume it's always the same person in the suit.

In any case it would seem to make sense that her mother would know about the trap and go back herself rather than send Michael.

Why would her mother choose Spock to reveal the visions to? She wouldn't. It seems likely that when the angel appears to save Burnham, it was the mother. When it doesn't appear, it is Burnham. Thus resolving the grandfather paradox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

Okay I didn't post this speculative theory from some youtube before.

But it was raised that there may have been reverse engineered borg tech from the movie 'First Contact' and possibility of borg nano bots infecting 'Control'. <<< (hence why advance tech, compared to TOS etc).

Wild theories from before this episode.

But with Leiland been infected sound possibility now.

Edit: - We also know that Time war from 'Enterprise' also had an effect on S31!

Edit 2: - Referred to as Nanoprobe, not bots, but same principle.

Advertisement