Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discovery 2x10 'The Red Angel' [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

she was the dead characters replacement not just another crew member

True, but as we knew it was the same actress (and they showed a video flashback in the episode just to remind us) it just seemed overdone to me. Not a biggie though

De Bhál wrote: »
    ah yeah, I get they would have a handy nickname.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_crystal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I just about followed this opening section, then my brain gave up.

A time crystal or space-time crystal is a structure that repeats in time, as well as in space. Normal three-dimensional crystals have a repeating pattern in space, but remain unchanged as time passes. Time crystals repeat themselves in time as well, leading the crystal to change from moment to moment....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

watch this every week but it leaves me cold. To me it's all style over substance.
    I'll keep watching it but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Time crystals for feck sake, that was the straw for me.

Why are you watching it if you don't enjoy it ? No one is holding a gun to your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Why are you watching it if you don't enjoy it ? No one is holding a gun to your head.

True, no one making me watch it but I like Star Trek so will watch it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah now, this isn't Walking Dead, it's not like people are continuing to watch this through warped masochism :D I enjoy Discovery, and believe it's just as 'Trek' as any other iteration, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have issues or find it has some problematic flaws.

True, no one making me watch it but I like Star Trek so will watch it.

Clearly you don't like this particular star trek. I thought enterprise was crap I stopped watching it midway into season 3 and never came back to it. It didn't stop me enjoying future treks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

True, but as we knew it was the same actress (and they showed a video flashback in the episode just to remind us) it just seemed overdone to me. Not a biggie though

What? You realise this seasons Airium was the new actor and the flashback was the new actor. We have never seen the old actor out of makeup so only internet nerds like ourselves know who it is.

To everyone not in the know that person walking onto the bridge is a brand new actor and character.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah now, this isn't Walking Dead, it's not like people are continuing to watch this through warped masochism :D I enjoy Discovery, and believe it's just as 'Trek' as any other iteration, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have issues or find it has some problematic flaws.

The Walking Dead is a perfect example of a show that has long since peaked and only a loyal fanbase an idiots like myself still watch it.

For anyone who doesn’t know the background shenanigans that went on with that show in terms of the original show runner (Frank Darabont) being sacked after season 1 and AMC screwing over all the cast then google it. It’s fascinating when you realise how they ruined something which could have been legendary purely to make it a cash cow.

See the link below for a brief account of what went on. There’s a lot more.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/03/30/this-walking-dead-actor-asked-to-be-killed-off-to-protest-amc-firing-frank-darabont/amp/

GSPfan wrote: »
    What? You realise this seasons Airium was the new actor and the flashback was the new actor. We have never seen the old actor out of makeup so only internet nerds like ourselves know who it is.

To everyone not in the know that person walking onto the bridge is a brand new actor and character.

We saw her 2 weeks ago :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭corkie

Your slightly wrong there, she is not a New Actor!

Sara Mitich played Airium in Season 1

MV5BNjk5NjA1ZmEtOWJjMy00OTQ4LTgwYTQtNmMzZTgxZTNmOWEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjY1MDUyOTM@._V1_UY317_CR131,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Hannah Cheesman played Airium in Season 2

MV5BYmVlM2M2ZmItYzdiYy00YzljLWFhMzgtYzZlNjQ0MGUzYzdhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ4MzU5NjA@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

And the new role for Sara is Lt. Nilsson and has appeared in 2 episodes before Red Angel, but just in the background, I think.

S02E08 approx 39:40 mins.
    S02E01 approx 51:20 mins <<<< Just standing in the scene!

corkie wrote: »
    Your slightly wrong there, she is not a New Actor!

Sara Mitich played Airium in Season 1

Hannah Cheesman played Airium in Season 2

And the new role for Sara is Lt. Nilsson and has appeared in a 2 episodes before Red Angel, but just in the background, I think.

I read it that he means that the flashbacks were of Chessman "new actor"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

What's with the relationship between Burnham and the Emperor? Why is she so 'protective' towards Burnham? I must have missed something along the way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

its a bit weird, as far is i remember mirror universe Burnham was the emperors adopted daughter, but she betrayed her, so she killed her.

Our universe Burnham had a mentor relationship with her opposite as the captain until she died.

Now they are both acting like they know each other years. I guess maybe because Burnham saved the emperor from the mirror universe?

But most likely because she is getting her own spinoff show they need to turn her at least a bit good, so she isnt completely evil id guess..

What's with the relationship between Burnham and the Emperor? Why is she so 'protective' towards Burnham? I must have missed something along the way.

She was kind of a second mum, to her alternate in the mirror universe.
    Although we never met her alternate.

And has me puzzled, did the Red Angel also prevent her death as a child in that universe as well?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

But why the looks on the faces of the crew if "in universe" she's just anothe crew member? It was bit too knowing-winky-winky for me
    In universe she is. Imagien you were a truck driver or an office worker and someone died in a horrible accident, and then some other driver gets assigned to the truck or to their office space, whatever, do you not think everyone, in a normal human reaction, would look over.
    Edit: I was also thinking while Burnham was dying that if she did die then there's no future Burnham, no red angel and no Skynet following her through time. Problem solved, let her die! But then if the angel is her ma this doesn't hold.
    +1 I can't wait for Spock to figure this out and just put a bullet in her, the lives of the many for the lives of the few, or the one.
    Liamalone wrote: »
    Surely she starts her shift at the same time as the rest, so she was late, not a word said to her lol. I thought it was ham fisted myself but apparently you can't diss the show on this thread.
    Probabl;y transferred from elsewhere with a different job, her line manager asked could she wrap up one or two jobs, Captain says yes, job done.

The only weird thing is, and maybe I missed this, the absence of a night crew, TNG covered this a few times, relieving people from duty, Picard passing comment on tardiness, there being other people there when our main characters were not. It is hard to do in such a short series length, TNG only mentioned it in passing over 7 long series, so understandably they are ignoring it here for the moment.

In TNG when the bridge crew got up to head off on an away mission lads just appeared out of the walls to sit down at their stations :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thanks! I was wondering WTF everyone was talking about.

That would also explain why Airiam got so little airtime in S1 (to limit the amount of time spent in makeup), and ultimately why she was killed off without a huge amount of screen time in S2 - to make way for Lt. Nilsson.

Which is very decent of them, they could just as easily have recast Airiam without giving the original actor any role.

I'd expect to see Lt. Nilsson be given progressively more screen time as the series' go on.

OSI wrote: »
    Excuse me?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

? What, not sure if you are saying thats a spoiler?

• Advertisement

Oh grand sorry i was worried people would consider that a spoiler when i seen your reply.

Yeh Section 31 Spin off show with Michelle Yeogh has been all over the Tv News sites along with the Picard show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Oh grand sorry i was worried people would consider that a spoiler when i seen your reply.

Yeh Section 31 Spin off show with Michelle Yeogh has been all over the Tv News sites along with the Picard show.

You wait 20 years for a new Trek show (ENTERPRISE DOESN'T COUNT!) then three come along at once! (There's an animated one on the way, too!)

You wait 20 years for a new Trek show (ENTERPRISE DOESN'T COUNT!) then three come along at once! (There's an animated one on the way, too!)

Enterprise season 3 and 4 are better than any entire seasons of Voyager

I just can't see Section 31 working as a show but hope to be pleasantly wrong like I was with Agents of SHIELD (which was Muck in season 1 but turned into one of the best TV shows available).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Clearly you don't like this particular star trek. I thought enterprise was crap I stopped watching it midway into season 3 and never came back to it. It didn't stop me enjoying future treks

Yeah, so you keep gurning at folk during the second season to stop watching if they have issues with it yet it took you two and a half seasons before you stopped watching something you thought was crap. Aw dear lol.

How many episodes are left in this season?

That was the final episode till next year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CramCycle wrote: »
    That was the final episode till next year.

Uhm, no it isn't; I think there are 13-15 episodes this season. There was a 'next episode' preview n' all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Uhm, no it isn't; I think there are 13-15 episodes this season. There was a 'next episode' preview n' all
    Netflix has been saying "Season Finale" for me for the last 3/4 episodes. I think it's a broken algorithm which sees that there are no more episodes and so thinks it's the last one.

I think your sarcasm detector is broken but it would give an easy out for people who don't want to watch anymore :pac:

Liamalone wrote: »
    Yeah, so you keep gurning at folk during the second season to stop watching if they have issues with it yet it took you two and a half seasons before you stopped watching something you thought was crap. Aw dear lol.

How many episodes are left in this season?
    I stopped watching when I realised it was crap. I watched season 3 at the same time as BSG and it just blew it out of the water.

seamus wrote: »
    Thanks! I was wondering WTF everyone was talking about.

That would also explain why Airiam got so little airtime in S1 (to limit the amount of time spent in makeup), and ultimately why she was killed off without a huge amount of screen time in S2 - to make way for Lt. Nilsson.

Which is very decent of them, they could just as easily have recast Airiam without giving the original actor any role.

I'd expect to see Lt. Nilsson be given progressively more screen time as the series' go on.

Ha. To make it even more complicated I’ve been told Lt. Nilsson has been in the background for two previous episodes this season.

My point still stands though. To the uneducated eye no one would know that Airium was played by two actors and no one would know the first actor is now playing Nilsson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Season 4 of Enterprise is actually worth watching imo (I thought everything up to then was crap). It's what the show should have been from the beginning.

Stark wrote: »
    Season 4 of Enterprise is actually worth watching imo (I thought everything up to then was crap). It's what the show should have been from the beginning.

Season 3 was so heavily serialised, in new to Trek manner, that it is much better viewed on Netflix over a week or so

Ha. To make it even more complicated I’ve been told Lt. Nilsson has been in the background for two previous episodes this season.

My point still stands though. To the uneducated eye no one would know that Airium was played by two actors and no one would know the first actor is now playing Nilsson.

Only it was said here, I would neither have noticed or cared. It was nice that they could work in a way to get the person who earned the part to keep it, sad they had to lose the other actress but either way, made zero difference to the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    *snip*

Yesterday for lunch I ate marmite. It was so disgusting that I nearly threw up, then wrote about my torment on the internet. Lunch today will be marmite, followed by a description of my great pain. Tomorrow- marmite, suffering.

Sorry posts in the wrong thread with this. Two tabs open!
    Okay I didn't post this speculative theory from some youtube before.

But it was raised that there may have been reverse engineered borg tech from the movie 'First Contact' and possibility of borg nanoprobes infecting 'Control'. <<< (hence why advance tech, compared to TOS etc).

Wild theories from before RA episode.

But with Leiland been infected sound possibility now.

Sonequa Martin-Green is in the lead role of STD, so it keeps surprising me that people are still looking for her not to be a feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Sorry posts in the wrong thread with this. Two tabs open!

Sonequa Martin-Green is in the lead role of STD, so it keeps surprising me that people are still looking for her not to be a feature.

I like Michael at lot, but I do wish she was more a part of an ensemble than being such a total focus.

I don't think I'd have wanted TNG to be fully focused on any one of those characters, much as I like them all. Slightly unsure of the Picard show for that reason.

OSI wrote: »
    But who says she has to be the lead role? It's Star Trek: Discovery, not Star Trek: Michael Burnham and her adventures aboard the USS Discovery.

It was all over the news when the show was first announced, that it wouldn't focus on a Captain as the main lead.
    A 'Walking Dead' star has been cast as the lead in Star Trek: Discovery

The Walking Dead star, Sonequa Martin-Green has been cast in the lead role for Star Trek: Discovery.

Variety are reporting that Martin-Green, who plays Sasha Williams in the AMC zombie drama will play the lead role but will not be the ship's captain as has previously been the tradition in Star Trek television shows. Her character will hold the rank of lieutenant-commander, though the character’s name is still unknown.

It was all over the news when the show was first announced, that it wouldn't focus on a Captain as the main lead.

So what though, just because it was said doesn't mean it has to be followed. It has to for now but after this season, it could easily move on. I know its a terrible example but Rick was the main character of TWD, but it hasn't changed much to have him not be the focus at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yeah, it was very much "a thing" in the pre-release chatter that this show would focus on a single character more than any Trek show has before, and that that character wouldn't be a captain.

Arguably that worked alright for a season and was an interesting idea in tandem with the anthology series that was also originally proposed, but beyond that I think the idea is getting a bit stretched.

I also believe Discovery was meant to be an anthology series, right? I'm like 80% certain that was Bryan Fuller's original intention for the show (before, as with all Fuller projects, he got booted). Things change, especially once a show airs and audiences react, going double for today's online presences.

• Advertisement
Advertisement