Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A really good butcher D5, 13 or 17

Options
  • 21-03-2019 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a really good butcher in D5, 13 or 17, mainly for beef.

I've been using the Dublin Meat Company in Kinsealy and Artane for all my meats, and will likely continue save for my beef.

Recently the steaks have been dire, with a smell of farmyard manure from them. On researching the smell it seems its only from the lowest grade, entirely grass fed cattle.

Tescos wasn't bad for awhile, but have gone back to their good old, bad ole

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

You know Aldi and lidl are similar, great meat for a while but now not great. Lots of trimming on their best cuts.

Tesco was always bad IMHO.

Not too many butchers now cutting their own carcasses and hanging....

Don't know in your area but i would travel for good meat myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,136 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Kerrigans in Donaghmede SC or Gleesons in Artane SC?
    Kerrigans also in Baldoyle Industrial Estate and Malahide.

Butchers counter in Supervalu Killester and Howth.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Kerrigans in Donaghmede SC or Gleesons in Artane SC?
    Kerrigans also in Baldoyle Industrial Estate and Malahide.

Butchers counter in Supervalu Killester and Howth.

I think you mean Supervalu in Sutton as they are not in Howth.

Higgins in Sutton at Sutton Cross is great,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Higgins in Sutton at Sutton Cross is great,

Higgins in Sutton easily the best butcher in those postcodes IMO. They hang and dry age their own beef on the premises, their rib eyes are top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

OMahony Meats.

They're mainly a wholesaler but they have a shop to sell to the public too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Go to higgins in Sutton if you want proper meat but be prepared to pay double or triple what you would in the rubbish served by Dublin Meat Company

16938952_776776649138172_8885538875647271845_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=8352e2487f3bced15a9601144c65bb74&oe=5D07E688

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I have also stopped getting as much meat from the Dublin Meat Company in Artane too, now i go across the road to Gleesons in the Artane Castle Shopping Centre.

I'm based around D5 also and try as much as possible to get my meat in a butchers when I can.

In order of preference, the butchers I use would be:

Brady's, Fairview (beside Edge's corner) - Best combo of quality and price
    Higgins, Sutton Cross - Better quality than Brady's, probably, but much dearer
    Gleesons, Artane castle - Regularly have reductions on Corned Beef etc,
    Cosgrave's Clarehall - Similar to Gleeson's, but cheaper and it's further away and I'm never really near Clarehall
    Dublin Meat Company - really gone downhill in the last 9 months, in my view. They 'butcher' very little of the produce on site and it's all pre-packed. Only go when I'm stuck.

However, for steaks I'd normally go to LIDL Artane. They genuinely are top drawer. The Supervalu in Killester do really good Cowboy steaks, which are essentially Rib-eyes on the bone. They're very expensive, but regularly do deals with 33% off. Honestly the nicest steak I've had in Ireland, second only to the Kobe steak I had in Kobe. They do the cowboys in Higgins as well but they're the same price as fillet steak elsewhere.

My order of preference would be

1. FXB's
    2. Higgins(but only for a treat)
    3. Brady's

In order of preference, the butchers I use would be:
    Brady's, Fairview (beside Edge's corner) - Best combo of quality and price
    <snip>
    However, for steaks I'd normally go to LIDL Artane. They genuinely are top drawer. The Supervalu in Killester do really good Cowboy steaks, which are essentially Rib-eyes on the bone. They're very expensive, but regularly do deals with 33% off. Honestly the nicest steak I've had in Ireland, second only to the Kobe steak I had in Kobe. They do the cowboys in Higgins as well but they're the same price as fillet steak elsewhere.

+1 on the Cowboy steaks in SV Killester, you could pull them apart with two forks - although I'm not sure if they always have them in?

And +1 on Bradys, though Edge's corner can be a bit busy if you're coming in by car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

OMahony Meats.

They're mainly a wholesaler but they have a shop to sell to the public too.

second that and you can get cuts that you cant get in the supermarket or pre pack butchers

neris wrote: »
    second that and you can get cuts that you cant get in the supermarket or pre pack butchers

Interesting... any specific recommendations for something to try?
    I might be in the vicinity tomorrow.

Dublin Meat Company - really gone downhill in the last 9 months, in my view. They 'butcher' very little of the produce on site and it's all pre-packed. Only go when I'm stuck.

Was in the Dublin Meat Company a while back and asked for 400g of chicken livers. I was cooking to a recipe so specifically needed 400g and definitely no more as they'd end up in the freezer for months unused. He said they only have them in 1kg packs and he wasn't going to open a pack for me. Ended up walking out and haven't been back since. Its grand if you want to buy mince and chicken fillets by the kilo but if you have a specific request then forget about it.

Agree with you about SV cowboy steaks, they delish and a complete bargain when they're 33% off. Last time was around Xmas so I'm expecting them to be back on sale again soon.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was in the Dublin Meat Company a while back and asked for 400g of chicken livers. I was cooking to a recipe so specifically needed 400g and definitely no more as they'd end up in the freezer for months unused. He said they only have them in 1kg packs and he wasn't going to open a pack for me. Ended up walking out and haven't been back since. Its grand if you want to buy mince and chicken fillets by the kilo but if you have a specific request then forget about it.

Agree with you about SV cowboy steaks, they delish and a complete bargain when they're 33% off. Last time was around Xmas so I'm expecting them to be back on sale again soon.

Yeah, I'm always wary about walking into a butchers and they are wearing all the gear, but have no knives on their belt. Or their whites are spotlessly clean towards the end of the day.

I had trouble finding beef short ribs recently, couldn't get them anywhere. I asked in FXB on Moore St and he went out back and came back with a full 'rack' (we used to call them a 'sheet' of ribs, until it became Americanised). Proceeded to saw them into the size I wanted, trimmed the excess fat and shrink-wrapped them for me. As he was working away, he was asking me what the plan was for cooking them. Told him I'd slice, season, sear and slow roast them on a bed of onion and carrot, serve with mash etc.

He said "sounds like that's my dinner for tonight sorted", took the half that I didn't want, asked one of the youngfellas to put them aside for himself for later. Then knocked a few quid off the bill, absolute gentleman that he was. Compare that to your experience above, and there's no contest. Vote with your wallet is the only way to teach 'em.

Just on the beef short ribs, Dunnes Donaghmeade have these in packs recently.
    Sometimes to be found in the discounted section with short date at 50% or 33% off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks everyone, can't wait to try Higgins tomorrow :)

Basically I was buying mostly chicken and turkey fillets but would throw in a steak once in awhile but lately there's been a smell of farmyard manure from their steaks and I was putting lots and lots of salt and pepper on to mask it.

I researched manure smell from steak and research came back to say that its from the cheaps beef which can be passed off to a customer.

Its from (I don't get the science behind it) cattle which are exclusively fed on grass and not the more expensive grain up to the time of going to slaughter.. Well feck that sh*t lol!.

I don't mind paying over the odd's for good beef, I'll be giving Higgins a go :)

Its from (I don't get the science behind it) cattle which are exclusively fed on grass and not the more expensive grain up to the time of going to slaughter...

I'm confused about that point.

Everything I've read suggests grass fed should be more expensive? Plus grass fed has a better nutritional profile than grain fed.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-beef#section3

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Also to add, I've had it said by a farmer that Feb/March aren't the best time to buy steak in Ireland as the cattle have spent the last few months indoors and have been on the grains, silage and pellets for the longest period and that can taint the taste.

Might be worth asking in the Farming Forum for clarity on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'm confused about that point.

Everything I've read suggests grass fed should be more expensive? Plus grass fed has a better nutritional profile than grain fed.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-beef#section3

Maybe I got it the wrong way around, agri-science ain't me thing, either way the steak from that butcher has been sh*t lately and I'm done with it.

Rib roast beef 10e a kg in Omahony Meats today. Nicely marbled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

O'Mahonys in Coolock Industrial Estate

rsl1976 wrote: »
    O'Mahonys in Coolock Industrial Estate

Yep. At the back of Lidl.

Another excellent butcher to try is Peter Hannan Meats aka The Meat Merchant. He has a shop in Moira, Co.Down but also sells through James Whelan online butcher. The shop is well worth a visit if you're up that way. His beef is a specific breed called shorthorn and he dry ages it in a specially built chamber constructed from pink salt brinks mined in the Himilaya mountains. Its won a stack of awards. He sells to the public but his main business is supplying the catering trade and he has many of Londons top restaurants buying from him. I was chatting to him a couple of years back and he told me that sometimes he even has Arab customers who send their private jet into Belfast to pick up a few boxes of meat!
    http://www.themeatmerchant.com/

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Another excellent butcher to try is Peter Hannan Meats aka The Meat Merchant. He has a shop in Moira, Co.Down but also sells through James Whelan online butcher. The shop is well worth a visit if you're up that way. His beef is a specific breed called shorthorn and he dry ages it in a specially built chamber constructed from pink salt brinks mined in the Himilaya mountains. Its won a stack of awards. He sells to the public but his main business is supplying the catering trade and he has many of Londons top restaurants buying from him. I was chatting to him a couple of years back and he told me that sometimes he even has Arab customers who send their private jet into Belfast to pick up a few boxes of meat!
    http://www.themeatmerchant.com/

The lovely Nigella is a fan anyway.

https://twitter.com/Nigella_Lawson/status/1108780059777732608

I'd love to try it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

Another vote for Higgins Butchers in Sutton here, absolutely top notch.

Advertisement