Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Footage of IRA allowing documentary crew film training camp - 1990s

• 21-03-2019 11:52pm
    Site Banned Posts: 6

Does anyone know anything about this video clip:

youtube.com/watch?v=HCenYr2VOMk

I've seen it on republican propaganda footage. It's from the mid-90s.

It includes a statement from "a representative of the General Headquarters Staff" of the IRA and mentions Thatcher.

Does anyone know from whereabouts the footage is from?

Which TV network was allowed to accompany them?

Who is the representative?

I know it seems strange signing up to post this but I haven't been able to find answers elsewhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Maybe it is not a real training camp.
    An actual literal, place.

But the provo training camp that is inside all of our hearts.
    It is an aspiration. An intangible dream. Just out of reach.
    Or maybe it's in the sparsely populated woodland hills in north longford?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Ask Declan Rice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

....or maybe it’s an amateurish propaganda vidieo :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I vaguely remember Channel 4 going behind the scenes with the Provos at some point - the sort of thing they'd do back then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Filmed on coillte forestry land about 5 miles from glenalough wooden watch posts and huts still there today.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6 cadiff

Filmed on coillte forestry land about 5 miles from glenalough wooden watch posts and huts still there today.

How do you know?

From the research I have done into the video I found one post on politics.ie about the location:

It was filmed on the Donegal/Tyrone border in an area called Meenreagh near Killygordon.

The day for the filming was specifically chosen as it was a misty foggy day and the Alouette helicopter from Finner camp couldn't do fog.

Is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I was looking for this footage recently. Cheers for the link.

cadiff wrote: »
    How do you know?

From the research I have done into the video I found one post on politics.ie about the location:

It was filmed on the Donegal/Tyrone border in an area called Meenreagh near Killygordon.

The day for the filming was specifically chosen as it was a misty foggy day and the Alouette helicopter from Finner camp couldn't do fog.

Is that true?

Can't tell you how I know but it was definitely filmed near glenalough.
    They wouldn't be able to do drills and use weapons so close to border and ruc.
    Area known to be used as training camp for Dublin Provo's.
    Dublin command made site safe and available to use in the day for filming

s it was a misty foggy day /QUOTE]

One of them is wearing sun glasses so the sun must have been breaking through at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Ed Moloney's book "A Secret History of The IRA" is a good read you should check out.

Alec Reid. There should be monuments built all over the place thanking the universe he was ever born. I never knew or heard of that man until I read that book. The very fact he didn't want to be known for what he actually did is just so legendary. But he should be known. Fully paid up member of the human race, a great person, a great mindset our entire planet could do with right now.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

Can't tell you how I know but it was definitely filmed near glenalough.
    They wouldn't be able to do drills and use weapons so close to border and ruc.
    Area known to be used as training camp for Dublin Provo's.
    Dublin command made site safe and available to use in the day for filming

If you Google images of Meenreagh in Donegal it looks identical to the site. They always did drills on the border e.g in the Cooleys.

Also, this was a northern ASU.
    buried wrote: »
    Ed Moloney's book "A Secret History of The IRA" is a good read you should check out.

Alec Reid. There should be monuments built all over the place thanking the universe he was ever born. I never knew or heard of that man until I read that book. The very fact he didn't want to be known for what he actually did is just so legendary. But he should be known. Fully paid up member of the human race, a great person, a great mindset our entire planet could do with right now.

I've read it.

Was it Reid in the sunglasses? I heard somewhere that it was Hughes.

If you Google images of Meenreagh in Donegal it looks identical to the site. They always did drills on the border e.g in the Cooleys.

Also, this was a northern ASU.

I've read it.

Was it Reid in the sunglasses? I heard somewhere it was Hughes.

You'd want to go read it again gasun

ASU that came south for day.
    Yes that was darkie

buried wrote: »
    You'd want to go read it again gasun

Why? Was it Hughes in the glasses? I'm trying to find out about the video?

Why? Was it Hughes in the glasses? I'm trying to find out about the video?

Why do you want to know about a video man? A video is nothing but useless propaganda. What good is it? History, actual history is your best bet to find out what was actually going on during that time. Any fool can make a video, history is a different matter. More beneficial of your time too.

ASU that came south for day.
    Yes that was darkie

I thought Hughes was Belfast? Why is there a Ballybofey chap there? It just looks so much like Meenreagh.

Was it filmed in Meenreagh or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Loose lips sink ships

What have they got themselves there? An RPG-22? M90 rifles? Fruit of the Loom woolly hats?

Advertisement