Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best whitening brand?

• 22-03-2019 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

I'm keen to get my teeth whitened at a dentists but there are so many different brands that dentists offer, so I find it a little confusing as to which option I should go for.

Polanight seems to be common as does Zoom.

Are there any brands better than others?

As a professional, having experienced different brands and seeing the results first hand, if you were getting your teeth whitened, which brand would you go for and why?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Anyone? I think i read on here before that Kor whitening was supposed to be the best type! Cannot see much info on it but im interested to hear whats considered good also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

zweton wrote: »
    Anyone? I think i read on here before that Kor whitening was supposed to be the best type! Cannot see much info on it but im interested to hear whats considered good also.

I've had Kor. It's great, can't comment on the others.

I've had Kor. It's great, can't comment on the others.

Its limited to where you can get it done right? I asked my dentist about it the other day but never heard of it. Asked what ingredients it had compared to other options out there but im unsure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Its limited to where you can get it done right? I asked my dentist about it the other day but never heard of it. Asked what ingredients it had compared to other options out there but im unsure.

Yeah, I'd mine done in South Dublin.

Yeah, I'd mine done in South Dublin.

Would you know what makes it better/different than the others?

Or is it just good marketing.

• Advertisement

Would you know what makes it better/different than the others?

Or is it just good marketing.

I dont know the specifics of it Vs the others, there's always an element of marketing to these things, but tbh the only place I've seen it advertised is the place i got the treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

KOR Whitening developed and patented by Dr. Ron Kurthy in the US.
    If the Dentist uses that system he must go through KOR in the US.
    l looked at it a few years back and was impressed , however you must adhere to the protocols prescribed by Dr. Ron.
    Any Dentist who uses this system will put it on their website so that is where I would start.
    Bleaching teeth is not an exact science , results vary from individual to individual and not everyone is a good candidate. It is very hard to guarrantee results as different teeth will bleach differently.Even KOR has its failures.
    However their unique seling point is the tray design , it keeps the bleaching gel sealed against the teeth.
    I am not sure on the strength of their bleaching agent. Any agent over 0.1 % hydrogen peroxide is banned in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

generally true above, the tray design is on factor but the other difference in in the refrigeration of the gels rather than adding preservatives which increased available bleaching ion concentration and lowers sensitivity. The standard gels are 16% Carbide Peroxide which is about 6% Hydrogen peroxide. But the key point is that a lesser gel with 16% carbide peroxide at manufacture may arrive to you with far less concentration, or may not fully release its hydrogen peroxide due to preservatives.

Its a interlinking system of a number of factors, the KoR system is just that , materials and methods to maximize effect and minimize sensitivity. KoR is more expensive but is more predictable on average, albeit that each patient has an individual element that dictates the result also.

Thanks for the replies, is there any others from experience that give good results? My dentist gave me a brochure which is called white dental beauty, novon advanced formula. Anyone heard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

There was an item on this on radio this past week. Newstalk lunchtime program? Dentist interviewed, different types of chemicals and delivery method eg in the surgery or at home via the 'tray'. Results vary according to nature of original tooth and other work done on teeth.

So is the lower level of bleach in Europe a reason we dont have the shiney whites of the Americans?

• Advertisement

The concentration is not a big issue, 16% carbamide peroxide the strongest you can use at home in the EU can achieve excellent results and is the same used in the US. There are other factors both related to the proceedure and the teeth that make more of a difference.

The concentration is not a big issue, 16% carbamide peroxide the strongest you can use at home in the EU can achieve excellent results and is the same used in the US. There are other factors both related to the proceedure and the teeth that make more of a difference.

Any chance you could expand on the other factors?

I did in post 9 above.

Oh yes, thanks:)

Sorry folks back here again, so im looking to get my teeth whitened soon and i wont be in Dublin soon so i think that rules Kor out.

Outside of Kor what would you recommend?

Anyone?:)

Good fiting bleaching trays , 10% carbamide peroxide (we use Pola Night).
    Wear for at least 90 minutes continuously every day 2 weeks. Discontinue if extreme sensitivity.

Good fiting bleaching trays , 10% carbamide peroxide (we use Pola Night).
    Wear for at least 90 minutes continuously every day 2 weeks. Discontinue if extreme sensitivity.

Thanks, would you say this one is any good? It would be the one my local dentist gave me.

https://www.dentistry.co.uk/2014/11/05/new-whitening-gel-sensitive-teeth/

I like Optident products , however I am not familar with that particular product so I cannot really comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brown6

Hi all,

I think teeth whitening procedure /treatment is not good for the life of your teeth.

I would not recommend to do any treatment. Try some home remedies.

and mainly, brush your teeth thrice in a day.

• Advertisement

Brown6 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I think teeth whitening procedure /treatment is not good for the life of your teeth.

I would not recommend to do any treatment. Try some home remedies.

and mainly, brush your teeth thrice in a day.

Whitening done correctly has no detrimental effect on teeth, if anything there is a positive effect on gum heath. Its well proven and studied.

usually best to withhold your opinion when you dont actually know about something, you will doth become once...twice... neigh thrice a better poster.

I like Optident products , however I am not familar with that particular product so I cannot really comment.

I will look into thatone thanks, i think my dentist can order whatever one in but would have to double check.

Advertisement