Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowman Palace plan

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Preparing the Bow(legged)man Palace 3C for shipping back to the UK to confirm (a formality I imagine) the warranty claim. I reckon I'll be looking for a refund and just closing the chapter on this failed and disappointing soap-opera of an experiment. Having been a wannabe Bowman-owner for years I had such high hopes and expectations. Perhaps I should've done like everyone else - put away my "notions" and just bought a BTW Giant Defy 3 for myself. :rolleyes:

If anyone has any nice frames in the pipeline, hit me up - I have some impressive finishing kit jewellery that needs hanging.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

fat bloke wrote: »
    Preparing the Bow(legged)man Palace 3C for shipping back to the UK to confirm (a formality I imagine) the warranty claim. I reckon I'll be looking for a refund and just closing the chapter on this failed and disappointing soap-opera of an experiment. Having been a wannabe Bowman-owner for years I had such high hopes and expectations. Perhaps I should've done like everyone else - put away my "notions" and just bought a BTW Giant Defy 3 for myself. :rolleyes:

If anyone has any nice frames in the pipeline, hit me up - I have some impressive finishing kit jewellery that needs hanging.

Hi just wondering if any update on communication with Bowman?

wpd wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if any update on communication with Bowman?

Nothing to report yet anyway. They confirmed receipt of the frame on Tuesday last week and said they'd be in touch.

OK. May as well close it up. A thread and a bike I think that can be summarised as having over-promised and under-delivered. Bowman, as expected, offered me a new frame or a refund and I went for the refund, game over, ball burst.

I'm working on an exciting replacement though! Fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

your exciting replacement justifies a new thread i think!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

wpd wrote: »
    your exciting replacement justifies a new thread i think!!

I second that!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you should write to bowman and ask for the frame back as a measure of courtesy, so it can go in the Boards Cycling Forum Museum, which will someday inevitably be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I'm really surprised at their response (or lack of). This is the 2nd frame that's a dud and the PR repercussions and fallout could be quite damaging, especially for a small company like Bowman. They should be reaching out to see what they can do to rectify the situation and engaging with you to make this a win win.
    I was looking at their disc frames for a future build but after this debacle I would touch them with the proverbial barge pole!

Good luck with the new project, and I'm looking forward to Season 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I was hoping for one more twist - like they'd offered you a full bike for your troubles. So many ups and downs in this thread

you should write to bowman and ask for the frame back as a measure of courtesy, so it can go in the Boards Cycling Forum Museum, which will someday inevitably be built.

Ha ha, like the Top Gear Hilux :D

ZPh80rYmQpObvBgH_tFHvg
    Trekker09 wrote: »
    I'm really surprised at their response (or lack of). This is the 2nd frame that's a dud and the PR repercussions and fallout could be quite damaging, especially for a small company like Bowman. They should be reaching out to see what they can do to rectify the situation and engaging with you to make this a win win.
    I was looking at their disc frames for a future build but after this debacle I would touch them with the proverbial barge pole!

Good luck with the new project, and I'm looking forward to Season 2!

I was actually talking to a bespoke frame manufacturer about it, who's a neighbour and he reckoned you'd have to wait really for the 2nd or even 3rd or 4th batch before taking another frame to be sure to be sure. Failures like mine would be fed back into the system and hopefully weeded out and corrected. I certainly didn't want to wait another feckin 12 months.

I haven't heard or read any bad experiences of their disc braked Weald which is around a while now so I suppose there's no reason to be wary. 'Tis a pity to be sure, how things worked out but, hey, onwards and upwards :)

• Advertisement

Onwards and upwards indeed. I didn't ride my bike at all in world bike day yesterday but I did buy the makings of a bike!

IMG-20210603-202914.jpg
    IMG-20210603-202943.jpg

Thanks to Plastik for pointing me in the direction of this. When I first saw the ad I read "CF" but no "SLX" after it and I thought it was Canyon's lower grade carbon frame, still fine medium level frameset but nothing special, and a bit pricey at the asking. It was only after that I copped the significance of the "Evo". This is one rung above the ultimate SLX, its their ultimate Ultimate. It was available in from Canyon as a 12 grand sub 5kg build option!! :eek:. Their "cheaper", "heavier" build option was still sub 6kg and similar monies. The frameset alone was also an option for a smidgen under 3 grand. In a small the frame is 660g. It's actually 2g (:rolleyes:) lighter than the limited edition superlight and ten grand RCA version of my old Cervelo R5.

Anyway. It's in fabulous condition, has hardly been ridden, and the seller threw in a bargain Canyon H36 one-piece aerobar cockpit, including the integrated aero Garmin mount. By pure coincidence the cockpit is exactly my size with a 100ml stem and 42 wide.

With the Bowman sram red and SLR's lashed straight on it should be close to 6kg or under straight outta the box!

The best-laid winter bike plans eh? :rolleyes:

Onwards and upwards indeed. I didn't ride my bike at all in world bike day yesterday but I did buy the makings of a bike!

IMG-20210603-202914.jpg
    IMG-20210603-202943.jpg

Thanks to Plastik for pointing me in the direction of this. When I first saw the ad I read "CF" but no "SLX" after it and I thought it was Canyon's lower grade carbon frame, still fine medium level frameset but nothing special, and a bit pricey at the asking. It was only after that I copped the significance of the "Evo". This is one rung above the ultimate SLX, its their ultimate Ultimate. It was available in from Canyon as a 12 grand sub 5kg build option!! :eek:. Their "cheaper", "heavier" build option was still sub 6kg and similar monies. The frameset alone was also an option for a smidgen under 3 grand. In a small the frame is 660g. It's actually 2g (:rolleyes:) lighter than the limited edition superlight and ten grand RCA version of my old Cervelo R5.

Anyway. It's in fabulous condition, has hardly been ridden, and the seller threw in a bargain Canyon H36 one-piece aerobar cockpit, including the integrated aero Garmin mount. By pure coincidence the cockpit is exactly my size with a 100ml stem and 42 wide.

With the Bowman sram red and SLR's lashed straight on it should be close to 6kg or under straight outta the box!

The best-laid winter bike plans eh? :rolleyes:

Now that is lush. I've had 2 Ultimates and they were top notch. One was slightly too big and the other made way for my BMC. Looking forward to seeing this built up!

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Now that is lush. I've had 2 Ultimates and they were top notch. One was slightly too big and the other made way for my BMC. Looking forward to seeing this built up!

Thought you'd appreciate it alright Trekker, you've a solid CV of exotic and unusual frames iirc - Basso diamante, Condor and the like.

What sizes were the Ultimates? I won't know for sure until I build it up but sitting on yer man's build and going by geometry the M seems to be a bang-on no-messin' hand-in-glove 56.

Thought you'd appreciate it alright Trekker, you've a solid CV of exotic and unusual frames iirc - Basso diamante, Condor and the like.

What sizes were the Ultimates? I won't know for sure until I build it up but sitting on yer man's build and going by geometry the M seems to be a bang-on no-messin' hand-in-glove 56.

The 1st was a large, which turned out to be a 58 which was a tad too large but the 2nd was a medium which was bang on. I was going to pull the trigger on the Ultimate SLX Special Edition with Campagnolo Super Record and Boras but by the time I had the money they'd sold out :mad: They had it on offer for under €4k too!

Advertisement