Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subletting - landlord selling up. Help

Options
  • 22-03-2019 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Right...so im subletting a room in an existing business. We are 2 seperate businesses. The "landlord" is now retiring and selling up.

Where does this leave me? To be clear, the person I'm renting from is renting the main building from the owner.

My "landlord" has advised its basically up to whoever takes over the lease if they want to keep subletting the room or not.
    I've only been here for 3 months and supposedly have 9 months left on my lease.

Any advice would really help here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

It depends on the terms in your lease; there are not the same default protections as there are for residential tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 and one for yourself

3DataModem wrote: »
    It depends on the terms in your lease; there are not the same default protections as there are for residential tenants.

That's the thing. It says nothing about it in the lease. The lease basically only says the rent and times I'm allowed in the building.

Looks like it was done up on a windows 95 version of Word...

If they sell and I'm out on my ear, can I do anything?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OP, I'm moving this to the Business & Entrepreneurial forum as Accommodation & Property is mostly residential stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Moved to E & BM, new forum charter applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 and one for yourself

Cheers. Hopefully someone here can help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

I've only been here for 3 months and supposedly have 9 months left on my lease.

Chances are you are on a licence agreement and not a lease, most(if not all) commercial leases in dont allow sub-letting so the lease holder offers licences, usually 12 months.
    Where does this leave me? To be clear, the person I'm renting from is renting the main building from the owner.

Out on the street, he has given you notice of agreement/licence/sub-let termination..
    My "landlord" has advised its basically up to whoever takes over the lease if they want to keep subletting the room or not.

Yes whoever is taking over the property can do what they like. The new leaseholder might be open to the idea of you subletting..if he is running a similar operation.

Have you approached the landlord or agent to see if you can take over the lease for the building or to say to them that you are looking to stay on if the new lease holder is looking to sublet?

Advertisement