Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanking Double Socket

Options
  • 22-03-2019 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    We're getting some fitted wardrobes next week and we've been told we need to blank off one of the double sockets in the room
    Guessing we just turn off the power, remove the cover, tape up the wires and either put a blank on or plaster over?
    Any of the blanks I've seen protrude the same amount as the regular double socket, are there covers that will sit flush with the wall?
    Not an expert here at all lol, but any help would be appriciated

Cheers

HB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Hi All
    We're getting some fitted wardrobes next week and we've been told we need to blank off one of the double sockets in the room
    Guessing we just turn off the power, remove the cover, tape up the wires and either put a blank on or plaster over?
    Any of the blanks I've seen protrude the same amount as the regular double socket, are there covers that will sit flush with the wall?
    Not an expert here at all lol, but any help would be appriciated

Cheers

HB

There are flat blank plates available from your electrical wholesaler

When you remove the socket you will have to join the wires back up with connector blocks otherwise other sockets may not work. Then wrap in insulation tape and fit blank plate
    Connections such as these are supposed to be accessible.
    Consult a rec if you are unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Why blank it off, cut a hole in the back of the wardrobe and use it to power some lightnig above or inside the wardrobe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Why blank it off, cut a hole in the back of the wardrobe and us it to power some lightnig above or inside the wardrobe?

Would have been nice but theyre right behind where some drawers are going to be which will have to trtavel back further than the plug will allow

Who's doing the wardrobes? Is it a custom fitting (ie a kitchen company or cabinet maker etc.)?

Wardrobes generally don't actually touch the wall. The gables/side parts, are deeper than the actual back of the unit (so the sides of the unit will sit tight to the wall, but the actual back on the unit, presumably an 18mm chipboard if a kitchen company are doing it, will be about 30-40mm away from the wall, creating a 'dead space' gap.

If they were to build the wardrobes where the back is tight to the wall, any bellies or bowing, warping, protrusions, etc on the wall would give them loads of headaches to deal with.

Personally I'd just leave them in place. You won't plug a plug into them, but they won't be getting in the way (or at least they shouldn't be). I used to install kitchens and wardrobes many moons ago, but I don't believe things have really changed much in how the carcasses are built.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Maxed-irl

Get a blanking plate in any DIY shop. Put the old wires in a connector block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Any possibility of repositioning the socket? Perhaps some slack in the cable

Advertisement