Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

1168169170171172174»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would this help with the Ryan Johansson situation I wonder or has that ship sailed?

Don't think so, as his birth still wouldn't have been registered on the roreign births register before playing his first competitive international game with Luxembourgs underage.

It's something the FAI really need to challenge seeing as FAI are creating even more loopholes around the eligibility of international football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

sugarman wrote: »
    Also, this is fairly mental. FIFA are looking to change eligibility rules to enable players to switch even after competitive caps have been awarded.

Looking forward to seeing the first Swiss from SK.

In relation to that eligibility change, I'm not totally opposed to it. I suppose they want to allow players to have an international career, so don't want them restricted from playing for a country they are eligible for because they got capped by a different national team once. The Munir example is a perfect case.

It has pros and cons obviously, and can see it affecting us both positively and negatively..

#projectGrealish2.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Looking forward to seeing the first Swiss from SK.

In relation to that eligibility change, I'm not totally opposed to it. I suppose they want to allow players to have an international career, so don't want them restricted from playing for a country they are eligible for because they got capped by a different national team once. The Munir example is a perfect case.

It has pros and cons obviously, and can see it affecting us both positively and negatively..

#projectGrealish2.0

One negative for us, though I don't think it's going to be an issue but for the sake of discussing this proposed change and understanding it lets use Michael Obafemi as an example.

He's only got one cap and hasn't played with the senior team since November 2018. Now we've got two games coming up before this new proposal is being voted on, and let's say he doesn't play in either game or does play because that would mean he still only has three games played. If this proposal is passed next month could he then refuse any more call ups and switch nationalities or does he have to wait three years after his last cap before he can switch nationalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Michael Obafemi has played in a competative game. Can't switch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Michael Obafemi has played in a competative game. Can't switch.

Under the new proposed rules he can switch.

My understanding is he would have to wait 3 years though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

Michael Obafemi has played in a competitive game. Can't switch.

The article suggests that he can. In the example, the player played for 13 min in a euro qualifier which is obviously competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

One negative for us, though I don't think it's going to be an issue but for the sake of discussing this proposed change and understanding it lets use Michael Obafemi as an example.

He's only got one cap and hasn't played with the senior team since November 2018. Now we've got two games coming up before this new proposal is being voted on, and let's say he doesn't play in either game or does play because that would mean he still only has three games played. If this proposal is passed next month could he then refuse any more call ups and switch nationalities or does he have to wait three years after his last cap before he can switch nationalities.

Yes that's an absolutely valid scenario. And of course that would be very bad for us if it happened.

However, I think in general most players will pick their country and stick to it, and vice versa. This rule change is for the small amount of players that have been unfortunate enough end up stuck with a nation that doesn't want them long term. Caps them because of hype around then and then bins them off, etc.

Of course their will be players, just as there is now, who flirt with more than one country, who will use this rule to their own advantage. But I think it's a good thing I'm the main to allow a player, in the situation that Munir finds himself in for eg, to have a second chance at playing international football for a country he has a connection to.

You'll no doubt have a number of people who won't agree with it, as can be seen any time a player like Rice, Grealish, Smallbone, etc. is mentioned in here and they start with the "if he has any doubts then he can piss off" line.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement