Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

We can't play Mexico again if they're the best second placed team, can we? (I'm assuming Brazil would meet them and we'd get Japan?)

What if we get placed 2nd? Mexico need 4 is all to beat our goal difference. What are the permutations then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Brazil in the semi kicking off at 4.30 on Wednesday. Not sure how they worked that out as they’d be ranked first and us second. Open draw?

Still, there’s something about playing Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah hard to see us getting a win, but have a feeling they might underestimate us which could make it a bit competitive at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Playing Brazil in a semi final of a major international tournament at any age group is great for those lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Playing Brazil in a semi final of a major international tournament at any age group is great for those lads.

Yeah great experience for some of the lads before they sign for England. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

sugarman wrote: »
    Seems so.

Tough ask, they've won their group games 5-0, 4-0 and 5-0.

Granted the two 5-0 results were against Guatamala and Qatar but their 4-0 was against a strong French team in the own back yard.

We'll give it a go but I can't see us getting past them.
    It was the French under 18 team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What are the age rules for this competition lads?
    Some teams are U.21 and others U.23. Seems odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

What are the age rules for this competition lads?
    Some teams are U.21 and others U.23. Seems odd.

Depends on the national team sending the teams.

This year, the tournament is contested by under-22 national teams, although France, Portugal, England and Republic of Ireland will play with their under-18, under-19, under-20 and under-21 teams, respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thst was a great finish in Denmark. Much better trip then last time, not been frozen to death was a plus.

We should have been least 2 down though we were ripped through the middle all too easy in 2nd half. But it was encouraging to see us play football and we took chances and got a huge point.

Think we win 4-0 tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The decent weather did make a difference, a very good point even if we rode our luck at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Should be a foregone conclusion tonight but I don't think it will be a goal fest.

No disrespect to Gibraltar but I hope we hockey them this evening.

This team needs to score goals badly and it's the perfect game to do so, the last time we scored more than 1 goal in a game was v USA last June

Competitively, the last time was v Moldova in October 2017.

McGoldrick, Maguire, Robinson & Hogan collectively have 25 caps between them and 0 goals. Shane Duffy (3) is our 3rd highest goalscorer currently in the squad.

We need goals this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭AhhHere

Shane Duffy (3) is our highest goalscorer currently in the squad.

McClean has 10 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah tonight would be the perfect opportunity to build some confidence. So far Micks reign has gone according to plan and we should be going into the games in September in almost as strong a position as we could have hoped for, if we can dish out a hammering tonight it will send the players and the fans away looking forward to September.

I'd like to see us go:
    Randolph
    Coleman Keogh Duffy Stevens
    Hendrick Cullen
    O'Dowda Hourihane Robinson
    McGoldrick

I think O'Dowda and Robinson have the potential to be big players for us this campaign. They are two of our most talented players with the ball and had relatively good seasons for their clubs aside from being injured. Tonight would be the ideal time to test them out and see how effective they can be. Cullen I would also like to see given a chance considering our reliance on Whelan in the holding midfield role. Really we should be able to put out any XI tonight and win comfortably, but I think we should use it to have a look at some players who might be important further into the campaign. I will crack up if its McClean and Brady on the wings again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Are Brady and Hendrick behind Duffy in terms of international goals? Pretty shocking if so given both fairly attacking players and around the squad for a bit of time at this stage

AhhHere wrote: »
    McClean has 10 goals

Apologies, meant to say 3rd highest. Brady on 7

Are Brady and Hendrick behind Duffy in terms of international goals? Pretty shocking if so given both fairly attacking players and around the squad for a bit of time at this stage

From the current squad

McClean - 10
    Brady - 7
    Duffy - 3
    Hendrick, Whelan - 2
    Coleman, Keogh, Hourihane, Judge - 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

3 points are the most important thing tonight but we need a few goals and a few new lads too start ie Cullen, Robinson etc.

Georgia also taking points from Denmark would be nice but think the Danes will have too much for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Will need to rack up some goals anyways tonight. It's probably our only real chance to get some goals at home in this qualifying campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭AhhHere

I'm predicting 2-0 or 3-0 tonight for me with a healthy dose of long ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Apparently the team bus broke down just outside the Ashtown Roundabout :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

No cullen ffs

Do we want to keep losing players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Can’t understand playing the likes of Stevens, Hourihane and McClean who are on bookings and could potentially miss the Switzerland game.

Surely Doherty/Cunningham at left back, Cullen in for Hourihane and O’Dowda in for McClean would still be enough to see off Gibraltar comfortably?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

PTH2009 wrote: »
    No cullen ffs

9 second cameo when we are 5 up will tie him up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

PTH2009 wrote: »
    No cullen ffs

Ya Garth Southgate is now rubbing his hands that he might be able to steal the 23 year old league one player.

Can’t understand playing the likes of Stevens, Hourihane and McClean who are on bookings and could potentially miss the Switzerland game.

Surely Doherty/Cunningham at left back, Cullen in for Hourihane and O’Dowda in for McClean would still be enough to see off Gibraltar comfortably?

I'll call it now - McClean to get booked and miss Switzerland.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1138141274882494464

Dissappointed O'Dowda isn't starting. Hopefully he gets some game time. Doherty too.

I don't think we'll learn very much starting McClean again.

Matt Doherty must be fuming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus, Didi Hamman hit the nail on the head, when he said that- if Martin O'Neil played like they did against Denmark the reaction would have been different afterwards.

Fair play to him for calling a spade a spade.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It’s poor stuff from McCarthy that he can’t get Doherty in the team. He’s one of the few players we have operating at a high level. If Martin O’Neill was still manager and was doing this he’d be absolutely crucified on here and by pundits like Sadleir for it.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It’s poor stuff from McCarthy that he can’t get Doherty in the team. He’s one of the few players we have operating at a high level. If Martin O’Neill was still manager and was doing this he’d be absolutely crucified on here and by pundits like Sadleir for it.

In Mick's defence, Doherty doesn't look as effective in a 4 at the back formation. Which is the formation the manager has settled on.

He started him at RW in the away game in Gibralter and he was fairly poor.

I'd love to see him come on in the second half though and make an impact.

The bigger concern to me is left wing. We need to start developing other options and this selection is an opportunity wasted. McClean imo is very limited and work rate alone won't get us into the top two in this group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Michael D starting to look all of his near 80 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Started a match thread here if anyone wants to contribute.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1138141274882494464

Dissappointed O'Dowda isn't starting. Hopefully he gets some game time. Doherty too.

I don't think we'll learn very much starting McClean again.

Mick is just a transitional manager, it's not his job to blood new players or experiment. His job first and foremost is to get us back competitive again and to do that in his short reign you identify the team you want and stick with it. Plus O'Dowda hasn't played competitively in nearly 3 months.

We won't see any real changes until Stephen Kenny comes in and trys to blood some of the U21s and lads like Robinson, O'Dowda and Browne more into the starting 11.

Unfortunately for Doherty were not Wolves and don't play with wing backs. Coleman has been very good at right back for Everton, who we play more like so would be very unfair to drop him for someone who doesn't play right back week in week out.

In Mick's defence, Doherty doesn't look as effective in a 4 at the back formation. Which is the formation the manager has settled on.

He started him at RW in the away game in Gibralter and he was fairly poor.

I'd love to see him come on in the second half though and make an impact.

The bigger concern to me is left wing. We need to start developing other options and this selection is an opportunity wasted. McClean imo is very limited and work rate alone won't get us into the top two in this group.
    So Doherty had one poor game (so did others v Gibraltar By the way) and he’s going to be left out all the time? As someone else said McClean is on a yellow card he shouldn’t be playing this, I know McClean is left wing.

Doherty is not going to find away to be affective for Ireland sitting on the bench. He should be right wing here learning how to work with Coleman and developing an understanding with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't quite get this Scott Hogan thing... I've only ever really seen him play for Ireland, so can't comment on his club form, but he's never looked great... McGuire has always looked much sharper.

Unfortunately for Doherty were not Wolves and don't play with wing backs. Coleman has been very good at right back for Everton, who we play more like so would be very unfair to drop him for someone who doesn't play right back week in week out.

Nonsense. No one is saying Coleman should be dropped, absolutely no one. Doherty should be asked and given another chance to adapt and play a different role for Ireland at right wing and this game at home v Gibraltar is the perfect place to do it. Hopefully we’ll see him as a sub in that role. Poor stuff from the manager lacking in foresight and imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Worztron

Matt deserves a start! FFS.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Mick is just a transitional manager, it's not his job to blood new players or experiment. His job first and foremost is to get us back competitive again and to do that in his short reign you identify the team you want and stick with it. Plus O'Dowda hasn't played competitively in nearly 3 months.

We won't see any real changes until Stephen Kenny comes in and trys to blood some of the U21s and lads like Robinson, O'Dowda and Browne more into the starting 11.

In fairness playing O'Dowda would not be blooding players or experimenting.

He's been in the senior squad for over two years and has a number of caps already.

If he's fit enough to be in the squad in the first place - then he should be ready to play against a side ranked near 200 in the world.
    LW is a problem area for us and McClean's discipline is often a liability too.

• Advertisement

In fairness playing O'Dowda would not be blooding players or experimenting.

He's been in the senior squad for over two years and has a number of caps already.

If he's fit enough to be in the squad in the first place - then he should be ready to play against a side ranked near 200 in the world.
    LW is a problem area for us and McClean's discipline is often a liability too.

Who else would be in the squad ahead of him though, Curtis and Brady are already in the squad too so you'll be looking at bringing back in Aiden McGeady. Cunningham is in the squad and has he even played a game in 2019? Only reason he's there is again because we lack depth in positions to replace lads. Same reason that 35 year old Glen Whelan is our only holding midfielder.

He's been part of MONs squads for the last two years and even he used to move him around playing on the right, left, through the middle and even in a three man midfield. As I said Mick is more or less only in the job for 2019 and then the play offs in March if we get there. His job is to get a solid starting 11 and doesn't have the time to see which position best suits Callum O'Dowda, if he was playing regularly maybe he'd be starting though or to see if Doherty and Coleman will gel on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Worztron

Georgia scored.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Who else would be in the squad ahead of him though, Curtis and Brady are already in the squad too so you'll be looking at bringing back in Aiden McGeady. Cunningham is in the squad and has he even played a game in 2019? Only reason he's there is again because we lack depth in positions to replace lads. Same reason that 35 year old Glen Whelan is our only holding midfielder.

He's been part of MONs squads for the last two years and even he used to move him around playing on the right, left, through the middle and even in a three man midfield. As I said Mick is more or less only in the job for 2019 and then the play offs in March if we get there. His job is to get a solid starting 11 and doesn't have the time to see which position best suits Callum O'Dowda, if he was playing regularly maybe he'd be starting though or to see if Doherty and Coleman will gel on the right.

Sorry, totally disagree. Are you really suggesting O'Dowda is included simply to make up the numbers?
    Of course there are others who could have been selected. Hasn't Aiden O'Brien played on the wing many times?
    Or he could have gone with just Brady and Curtis as cover and included someone like Arter instead.

I never said Mick needs to see which position best suits O'Dowda.

The point I'm making is McClean has been under performing for sometime and we should be looking at other options on that wing. In this qualifying group. There are tougher tests ahead if we're to qualify for these Euros. And our LW is not very good

Sorry, totally disagree. Are you really suggesting O'Dowda is included simply to make up the numbers?
    Of course there are others who could have been selected. Hasn't Aiden O'Brien played on the wing many times?
    Or he could have gone with just Brady and Curtis as cover and included someone like Arter instead.

I never said Mick needs to see which position best suits O'Dowda.

The point I'm making is McClean has been under performing for sometime and we should be looking at other options on that wing. In this qualifying group. There are tougher tests ahead if we're to qualify for these Euros.

Whose also out injured. And O'Brien missed the last three games of the season so probably out injured himself.

Whose also out injured. And O'Brien missed the last three games of the season so probably out injured himself.

Doesn't change the fact our left side is quite poor.

And tonight is a good opportunity to see what some other players can do in that position.

McClean isn't contributing anything.

Doesn't change the fact our left side is quite poor.

And tonight is a good opportunity to see what some other players can do in that position.

McClean isn't contributing anything.

We're poor all round apart from the back five but there's not much you can do when players are injured or haven't played games in months. The same team that played against Georgia were selected against Denmark, but Brady was dropped for tonight and for all we know McClean could have also been dropped for Judge whose played mostly on the left this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Being told that food and drinkings are more expensive than usual in the Aviva tonight....FAI short of cash.

Christ the FAI should be giving every kid a free coke and a hot dog if the parents buy a drink or something to eat to watch the tripe on offer.

Additionally the journalists should be asking how many of the 36k tickets were freebies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The wing back excuse is a poor one for not giving Doherty a rubout.

If you can't trust him RMF against Gibraltar then when can you trust him.

Woeful stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

10/12 is good.

A minimum requirement of we're honest.

It's possible we may not get another win this campaign though.

Need to find a way to batter ram the Swiss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

noodler wrote: »
    The wing back excuse is a poor one for not giving Doherty a rubout.

If you can't trust him RMF against Gibraltar then when can you trust him.

Woeful stuff

He played RMF versus Gibr in the first match of the campaign, we saw how that went..Doherty has had a good season and will have claims for left back or if Coleman is unavailable. But he doesn’t show much in his club games to suggest he is a good crosser and he doesn’t take setpieces. Mccarthy’s Selections for wide men will come down to how well you can cross or take a set piece. Doherty has a different skill set.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement