Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

sugarman wrote: »
    Becaus McCarthy is only 4 games in having had no time to work with his team along with not having better quality of players that can finish.

O'Neill had a full year and several friendlies to work with his team prior to qualifiers and how important were the likes of Walters, Long and McGeady with their goals in those qualifiers? Even Robbie Keane, to tuck them away against the likes of Gibraltar.

We don't have a clinical finisher like Keane or Walters anymore while Long has been injured for all McCarthys 4 games.

I don't get what the big deal is about tonights result anyway. Wether we scored 2 or 7, a win is a win.

As I said, the most important thing is we are in control of games and not shipping goals. We'd 72% possession tonight and had 19 shots on goal while restricting Gibraltar to just 1 shot on goal. So what's the issue?

As for Doherty, he's unfortunate to be playing in the same position of Coleman who has been our best player tonight and Friday. Himself and Robinson had fantastic link up play tonight, the only real positive of the game imo. Why should Doherty get shoe horned in and where?

Because Doherty is one of the few players we have operating at a high level. He’s a quality player, it’s not a question of shoehorning him in. It’s up to the manager to find a system that utilises our best players and at home v Gibraltar was the perfect time to start. Callum Robinson while a useful squad player will never reach the levels that Doherty has.

Incredible that posters are making excuses for McCarthy’s failure to try to devise a system where Coleman and Doherty can work together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Because Doherty is one of the few players we have operating at a high level. He’s a quality player, it’s not a question of shoehorning him in. It’s up to the manager to find a system that utilises our best players and at home v Gibraltar was the perfect time to start. Callum Robinson while a useful squad player will never reach the levels that Doherty has.

Incredible that posters are making excuses for McCarthy’s failure to try to devise a system where Coleman and Doherty can work together.

Our best player is a 27 year old with 5 caps?

If the job of ireland manager was just put in the 11 players who had the best season at club level then any of us eejits would be qualified for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Right wing. He and Coleman should have their heads knocked together and be told to find an understanding with each other for the better of the team. They should cover each other as they take turns going forward. It’s not rocket science but may take a little time for the understanding between them to develop but tonight v a pub side was an ideal time to start.

Mick didn’t even try. Poor stuff.

If I remember correctly when Mick was last manager we had Carr , Finnan and Kelly as 3 class right back options and I don’t think he ever played 2 of the 3 down the right wing just to accommodate . In 2002 we played an Mcateer down the right even though Finnan was probably a better player but Mcateer was better winger

Also remember when Ian Harte was having a terrible run of games and many were calling for Finnan or Kelly to start at left back but Mick was stubborn and wanted the left back at left back even if others were playing better

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Our best player is a 27 year old with 5 caps?

If the job of ireland manager was just put in the 11 players who had the best season at club level then any of us eejits would be qualified for the job.

The job of Ireland manager is to make the best of the best players we’ve got. McCarthy is failing miserably in that regard re Doherty.

Gonad wrote: »
    If I remember correctly when Mick was last manager we had Carr , Finnan and Kelly as 3 class right back options and I don’t think he ever played 2 of the 3 down the right wing just to accommodate . In 2002 we played an Mcateer down the right even though Finnan was probably a better player but Mcateer was better winger

Also remember when Ian Harte was having a terrible run of games and many were calling for Finnan or Kelly to start at left back but Mick was stubborn and wanted the left back at left back even if others were playing better
    He used to play Harte at center half as well at one stage. I remember Mick from the first time around and I remember his stubbornness. It looks like he’s at the same crap with Doherty this time round.

Posters on here were vitriolic re O’Neill in his testy interviews with O’Donoghue. McCarthy was testy with him tonight and he didn’t even have the balls to ask him about the Doherty bullshít that McCarthy is pulling. The worm will turn fairly quick if the results go wrong in the Autumn and McCarthy will have his ass in the bacon slicer again. He needs to get the finger out and quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Disappointing that our most in form player at the moment Doherty didn’t even get a minute in the two games, but overall you have to look at it and say 4 points from Denmark away and Gibraltar at home is job done, we can move into the Switzerland game knowing a result puts us in a commanding position in the group.

Hopefully our lads can start the season well in August and we can have a run at the Swiss at home in September. Won’t be easy, that’s for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The desire to be negative amongst so many of ye never ceases to amaze me. We’re in great shape in the group, have some massive games to look forward to in the autumn, and it’s all doom and gloom because of style points tonight.

From one Ireland managerial regime to the next going all the way back to Charlton (and probably before, I can only imagine) there’s always one or two players inching towards FIFA World XI quality with every game they sit on the bench. Step forward Matt Doherty. It’s so ****ing dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

He used to play Harte at center half as well at one stage. I remember Mick from the first time around and I remember his stubbornness. It looks like he’s at the same crap with Doherty this time round.

Posters on here were vitriolic re O’Neill in his testy interviews with O’Donoghue. McCarthy was testy with him tonight and he didn’t even have the balls to ask him about the Doherty bullshít that McCarthy is pulling. The worm will turn fairly quick if the results go wrong in the Autumn and McCarthy will have his ass in the bacon slicer again. He needs to get the finger out and quick.

I doubt Mick is too concerned about any "bacon slicer".

If things peter out over the remaining games, he'll be on his way with a cool €1.2 million in his pocket. Seems this is written in stone already. His contract will only run til end of the Euro 2020 campaign no matter what happens.

Another masterstroke decision from the FAI that one.....

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The desire to be negative amongst so many of ye never ceases to amaze me. We’re in great shape in the group, have some massive games to look forward to in the autumn, and it’s all doom and gloom because of style points tonight.

From one Ireland managerial regime to the next going all the way back to Charlton (and probably before, I can only imagine) there’s always one or two players inching towards FIFA World XI quality with every game they sit on the bench. Step forward Matt Doherty. It’s so ****ing dull.
    Nonsense. It’s fair to say the result v Denmark was great and the performance v Georgia was good but vast improvement will be needed if we’re to finish in the top two in the Group. And Doherty should be in the team or at least an effort should have been made tonight to get him in the team developing an understanding with Coleman. Poor stuff from the manager and deserving of criticism.

• Advertisement

Zeek12 wrote: »

If things peter out over the remaining games, he'll be on his way with a cool €1.2 million in his pocket. Seems this is written in stone already. His contract will only run til end of the Euro 2020 campaign no matter what happens.

Bacon slicer was his phrase from the first time round when he was on the way out. A defeat to Switzerland as I recall was the final straw, hopefully history won’t repeat itself in the Autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Bacon slicer was his phrase from the first time round when he was on the way out. A defeat to Switzerland as I recall was the final straw, hopefully history won’t repeat itself in the Autumn.

Hopefully not.

MON didn't get a win of note til we fluked it against Germany.

There was a horrible loss to Scotland and poor home draws.

Mick hasn't had a disappointing result yet tho still time give the way the fixtures landed.

If we can beat Switzerland, I dunno how, then we'd be going to Georgia with a serious, serious opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Zeek12 wrote: »

A great masterstroke. Mick comes in to improve the dressing room after the state MONROY left it in, all the while Kenny is getting to work with the next crop of youngsters before starting his reign with 6 games in nation's league league C rather than being thrown straight into the **** left behind by MONROY and having a Euro 2020 campaign, improving the mood in the squad and looking to blood younger players while trying to change up the style to worry about.

He now gets to work with the best crop of youngsters we've got coming through since Kerr's time in charge of the underage and let Mick worry about improving the mood around the place. And when he finally takes over he'll have 16 months worth of experience with the youngsters and six games in League C to blood them in before starting the WC 2022 campgain. Absolute masterstroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Citizen spent most of Celtics treble treble winning season complaining about Rodgers then when he left, the board.

MON and Roy are gone, John Delaney's as good as gone. 4 points was a great yeild from these 2 games yet still complaining.

If you can't enjoy victory in sport then why watch.

Citizen spent most of Celtics treble treble winning season complaining about Rodgers then when he left, the board.

MON and Roy are gone, John Delaney's as good as gone. 4 points was a great yeild from these 2 games yet still complaining.

If you can't enjoy victory in sport then why watch.

Re Rodgers and Celtic No I didn’t, have no idea where you’re pulling that from? Why do some posters simply make up stuff to back up arguments they come up with when they won’t be able to back it up when they’re called out on it. Ridiculous comment from you.

The results are fine so far but two of the wins were v Gibraltar, it’s fair comment to assess the overall performance to date at this stage in the Group and to say that major improvement is needed with the more difficult tests to come without being accused of complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

With all the talk of wanting Doherty to have started at RW, Robinson was our best, most exciting player tonight operating out there.

• Advertisement

Don’t think there is much difference between MON and McCarthy in terms of relationship with fans.

The honeymoon is already over even though we are top of the group. If we lose to the Swiss there’ll be the same old talk of “why can’t we have a manager who trusts our players to be able to pass it 5 yards” and the Swiss will be presented as a team that Northern Ireland nearly bet in a World Cup playoff.

The truth is we should lose to the Swiss if you look at the players each have. It’s the greatest Swiss team they’ve ever had. If they had a top centre forward they would be a serious contender. They scored 5 goals when beating Belgium last year. A Belgium team that is now ranked first in the world. The swiss are ranked eighth in the world. We should lose both games to them on known form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Not sure where the idea that the Georgia game showed a big improvement is coming from?!?

I was at the game and while the style of play was improved we were under serious pressure in the last 10/15 minutes because we failed to create chances to finish the game off.

Add in the 2 shockers against Gibraltar and there isn't much of a change under Mick, sure we try to play a nicer style of football but trying to get a decent side out of the players we have available is a tough ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thank god we dont have another "great" option after Randolph lest Citizen start demanding Mick move Randolph to sweeper to make room for the new keeper. Robinson was great RW as was Coleman at RB. Mick isn't senile to try a formation with RB, RWB and RW.

If nothing has changed it’s because we’re playing the likes of Hogan and Maguire; and the corpse of Glenn Whelan still offers us something useful and valuable.

It’s such a terrible terrible squad, but they mustered an answer in Copenhagen and have 9
    from 9 in the games they were favoured in. This is as good as it gets. If you don’t like it you really should stop following them.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thank god we dont have another "great" option after Randolph lest Citizen start demanding Mick move Randolph to sweeper to make room for the new keeper. Robinson was great RW as was Coleman at RB. Mick isn't senile to try a formation with RB, RWB and RW.

LOL here’s the strawman himself.

Callum Robinson is a decent squad player operating in the Championship nothing more, he’s not so good that McCarthy should be ruling out having another look at playing probably our two best players Coleman and Doherty together. The rest of your post is typically nonsensical straw man gibberish.

• Advertisement

If nothing has changed it’s because we’re playing the likes of Hogan and Maguire; and the corpse of Glenn Whelan still offers us something useful and valuable.

It’s such a terrible terrible squad, but they mustered an answer in Copenhagen and have 9
    from 9 in the games they were favoured in. This is as good as it gets. If you don’t like it you really should stop following them.
    Well we played better with more tempo and purpose against Georgia than we did last night v Gibraltar, so no last night isn’t as good as it gets and hopefully it’ll be better in the Autumn. It will have to be.

Callum Robinson is a decent squad player operating in the Championship nothing more, he’s not so good that McCarthy should be ruling out having another look at playing probably our two best players Coleman and Doherty together. The rest of your post is typically nonsensical straw man gibberish.

You pick teams on how they perform for you. Robinson got picked and performed satisfactorily. Doherty did vs Gibr away and didn’t.

You pick teams on how they perform for you. Robinson got picked and performed satisfactorily. Doherty did vs Gibr away and didn’t.
    You pick a team and formation to accommodate your best players, or at least you try to and you use a game like Gibraltar at home to try it ideally.

No one played well away v Gibraltar, why is Doherty the only one apparently scapegoated for that?

You pick a team and formation to accommodate your best players, or at least you try to and you use a game like Gibraltar at home to try it ideally.

No one played well away v Gibraltar, why is Doherty the only one apparently scapegoated for that?

That’s the way Sven Goran Eriksson picked his teams alright when he was England manager. A team of square pegs in round holes that couldn’t play together was the result.

Well we played better with more tempo and purpose against Georgia than we did last night v Gibraltar, so no last night isn’t as good as it gets and hopefully it’ll be better in the Autumn. It will have to be.

Three nights after a hugely draining physical effort in the heat of Copenhagen
    In a game where we were huge favourites
    Against opposition that offered nearly zero threat
    In front of a crowd that was flat (I was one of them)

Yeah the performance wasn’t great. So what! It’s not any reason for the level of negativity on here when the context is considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I think in fairness to ‘pro’ Doherty posters on here is just to get an explanation as to why we decided not to try Doherty in front of Coleman again last night and perhaps have Robinson on the left in place of McClean.

Poster last night said McCarthys not brought in to take a risk but in fairness, its Gibraltar at home.

The away game Doherty was poor but the whole performance was poor, many an argument that evening in the match thread, the pitch was ****e and the wind was atrocious. Doherty can’t be judged purely on that one performance.

I’m as happy as anyone we’ve 10/12, just wish we’d be able to perform a little better tbh and try fitting arguably our best player on club form into our uncreative side as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

did you see the shot where mcgoldrick scored and the kids in the crowd were in hysterics laughing, i assumed it was at the fact his shot was going a mile wide but got a huge deflection to went in. how can you not hit the target from so close in? you would have pat hoban in before any of the so called strikers last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    With all the talk of wanting Doherty to have started at RW, Robinson was our best, most exciting player tonight operating out there.

Started, come on for 20, whatever you are having yourself.

Three nights after a hugely draining physical effort in the heat of Copenhagen
    In a game where we were huge favourites
    Against opposition that offered nearly zero threat
    In front of a crowd that was flat (I was one of them)

Yeah the performance wasn’t great. So what! It’s not any reason for the level of negativity on here when the context is considered.
    The context? It was Gibraltar at home, it doesn't get easier than that in an international match and it was an opportunity missed to get Doherty and Coleman playing together. Those are legitimate criticisms, cries of negativity is merely a sweep sweep exercise.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    did you see the shot where mcgoldrick scored and the kids in the crowd were in hysterics laughing, i assumed it was at the fact his shot was going a mile wide but got a huge deflection to went in. how can you not hit the target from so close in? you would have pat hoban in before any of the so called strikers last night.

I'd definitely have Pat Hoban there ahead of Hogan was an empty shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gibberish is trying to force "best players" into a starting XI by forcing them out of their best position and then wondering why they didnt play well when forced out of position. Callum Robinson is a winger. I'd simply prefer Mick played his best available wingers on the wings instead of the second best right back starting as a winger. But at least you've moved on from wanting all the teenagers capped!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Gibberish is trying to force "best players" into a starting XI by forcing them out of their best position and then wondering why they didnt play well when forced out of position. Callum Robinson is a winger. I'd simply prefer Mick played his best available wingers on the wings instead of the second best right back starting as a winger. But at least you've moved on from wanting all the teenagers capped!

Doherty has played on the right of midfield before for his club. Robinson often plays as a forward/striker for his club. Robinson could easily have played up with McGoldrick instead of the ineffectual Hogan for example.

You don't really know much about what you're talking about do you but that never stops you letting on that you do though does it:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Poor performance last night considering the opposition. I agree that McCarthy's job is solely to get us to Euro 2020, regardless of how it is done, but to see us struggle so badly to create chances against such a poor side last night was worrying. I know we are probably not suited to facing a team who are set up to defend and stop us from scoring but surely with the players we have compared to theirs we should be able to at least create a handful of real goal scoring opportunities.

I feel like with the current crop of players we have that we don't have anyone who is willing to take responsibility. It feels like our team would rather put in 20 crosses into the box that we have a small chance of winning as opposed to really breaking a team down and having some intricate play that leads to a genuine goal scoring chance. An attitude of trying to avoid doing anything wrong rather than trying to do something positive. It is not as big of an issue when we are the underdog but when we are expected to go and win a game it is painful to watch.

Poor performance last night considering the opposition. I agree that McCarthy's job is solely to get us to Euro 2020, regardless of how it is done, but to see us struggle so badly to create chances against such a poor side last night was worrying. I know we are probably not suited to facing a team who are set up to defend and stop us from scoring but surely with the players we have compared to theirs we should be able to at least create a handful of real goal scoring opportunities.

I feel like with the current crop of players we have that we don't have anyone who is willing to take responsibility. It feels like our team would rather put in 20 crosses into the box that we have a small chance of winning as opposed to really breaking a team down and having some intricate play that leads to a genuine goal scoring chance. An attitude of trying to avoid doing anything wrong rather than trying to do something positive. It is not as big of an issue when we are the underdog but when we are expected to go and win a game it is painful to watch.

Agree 100%

I would've expected the team to be a little more intricate in their passing after having a decent training camp together building up to the 2 games but it was a paint by numbers kind of showing with each player only concerned about doing their bit like putting in aimless crosses etc.

The lack of leadership amongst the players is a big issue but so is the lack of quality to break down opposition players. We barely created any clear cut chances in the game with most shots coming from long range hit & hope shots

That’s just a lack of ability. Average Burnley and stoke players aren’t able to play intricate build ups.

Coleman can to an extent but more to do with his good movement than good technical ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

That’s just a lack of ability. Average Burnley and stoke players aren’t able to play intricate build ups.

Coleman can to an extent but more to do with his good movement than good technical ability.

Surely it can't be though, not against Gibraltar. Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers are able to play like this.

Surely it can't be though, not against Gibraltar. Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers are able to play like this.

Do Dundalk and shamrock rovers come up against mass defenses?

Hendrick and hourihane can show the occasional flash of vision. Whelan & McClean forget about it.

Hogan, Robinson & Mcgoldrick: not sure.

Brady: on the field for his crossing, not much intricate passing with him.

O’Dowda- good dribbler, cuts inside, can finish. Passing; average.

None of the above in Wes’ league and Wes was really only magic once or twice a game. He wasn’t a Christian eriksen.

Judge had vision. Daryl Horgan? Maybe. Mick is picking runners and crossers. Physical players. So did MON. Doherty is a physical player but McCarthy not able to find a spot for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Guess where Citizens World POTY was “languishing” when he was the same age as Callum Robinson. The Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Andy Reid then Stephen Ireland then Wes Hoolahan then Matt Doherty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Dots1982 wrote:
    That’s the way Sven Goran Eriksson picked his teams alright when he was England manager. A team of square pegs in round holes that couldn’t play together was the result.

TheCitizen wrote:
    The context? It was Gibraltar at home, it doesn't get easier than that in an international match and it was an opportunity missed to get Doherty and Coleman playing together. Those are legitimate criticisms, cries of negativity is merely a sweep sweep exercise.

Eriksson was more successful as England manager than the other holders of that position over the last twenty years.
    Coleman is Ireland's best footballer, a great captain and leader and the heartbeat of the team. If we were to lose him again for a prolonged period due to injury we should all just give up and stay at home. That's how important he is. Doherty is a hard runner, nothing more. Having so many good players around him at Wolves makes him appear much better than he is.

Andy Reid then Stephen Ireland then Wes Hoolahan then Matt Doherty.

You’re forgetting how James McClean became one of the best players in the Premier League around 2011 in the eyes of the most Irish fans and Trap was a mad eejit not to have him in his team.

You’re forgetting how James McClean became one of the best players in the Premier League around 2011 in the eyes of the most Irish fans and Trap was a mad eejit not to have him in his team.

Ah yeah, but that would have overlapped with the Andy Reid and Stephen Ireland hysteria at the time!

chicorytip wrote: »
    Eriksson was more successful as England manager than the other holders of that position over the last twenty years.
    Coleman is Ireland's best footballer, a great captain and leader and the heartbeat of the team. If we were to lose him again for a prolonged period due to injury we should all just give up and stay at home. That's how important he is. Doherty is a hard runner, nothing more. Having so many good players around him at Wolves makes him appear much better than he is.

That's a bit OTT for me, he's our best player but no sign he's a great captain or leader in the Irish squad or that he dictates how we play when on the pitch.

We've lost him before and coped

The Liverpewl scarves and tshirts being sold outside the ground last night was an embarrassment by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Liverpewl scarves and tshirts being sold outside the ground last night was an embarrassment by the way.

Is that a LOI team?

I don't watch LOI and with names like that is it a wonder what County are they based in?

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    That's a bit OTT for me, he's our best player but no sign he's a great captain or leader in the Irish squad or that he dictates how we play when on the pitch.

We've lost him before and coped

Coleman hitting the byeline is our most potent attacking weapon along with Shane Duffy’s head so he dictates a good amount of our play.

We also lost him before and our good start to a campaign fell apart.

I find him a fairly quiet but inspirational figure. He’s a proper pro who doesn’t drink, made the best of his talent, gave generously to the Sean Cox charity, has time for those less fortunate than himself and is one of our best players every game he plays.

If you believe your first sentence then you know very little about football. You pick your best team, not your best players.

If you believe your first sentence then you know very little about football. You pick your best team, not your best players.

:pac:

Guess where Citizens World POTY was “languishing” when he was the same age as Callum Robinson. The Championship.

And what's that got to do with Doherty being frozen out right now?

What an absolute hypocrite you are. If Martin O'Neill picked that team and they performed like that last night you'd be on here moaning constantly. Is everything in life binary with you?

And what's that got to do with Doherty being frozen out right now?

What an absolute hypocrite you are. If Martin O'Neill picked that team and they performed like that last night you'd be on here moaning constantly. Is everything in life binary with you?

Change the record. This ones been skipping for years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement