Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Collie D wrote: »
    I genuinely thought I had the Nations League and playoffs completely figured out but this is a new one on me. I thought the highest ranked team played fourth at home and second played third. So technically we could be third best and get a home semi if we’re drawn against the fourth team.

Learn something new every day.

Hold on, you’re probably right. I just went off he one watching of the 2 minute vid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Hold on, you’re probably right. I just went off he one watching of the 2 minute vid.

Found it here.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/draws/round=2001111/

Draw just determines who is at home in the final. Semis seeded by ranking with higher ranked team at home.

Although I do notice this:

“Additional conditions may be applied, subject to approval by the UEFA Executive Committee, including seeding principles and the possibility of final tournament host associations having to be drawn into different paths.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Collie D wrote: »
    Found it here.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/draws/round=2001111/

Draw just determines who is at home in the final. Semis seeded by ranking with higher ranked team at home.

Although I do notice this:

“Additional conditions may be applied, subject to approval by the UEFA Executive Committee, including seeding principles and the possibility of final tournament host associations having to be drawn into different paths.”

I hear the universities are doing a new masters degree course in the subject of Nation League/Euro Qualifiers given such the confusion over how it all works. I dont know if many will complete it though as it is meant to be really tough to follow. :D

I gave up trying to understand what the hell they are doing with all these leagues and qualifiers.

Had no idea you had to win 2 games vs different opposition to get there.

I think we’re unlikely to qualify automatically when it comes down to it despite the excellent start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I know the Nation's league may be a good idea to get away from friendlies but anyone else think agree they have needlessly overcomplicated the qualification process? The old way was a lot simpler. I'm just looking at our own qualification group because not a notion after that. I presume Portugal are qualified as NL winners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

henke wrote: »
    I know the Nation's league may be a good idea to get away from friendlies but anyone else think agree they have needlessly overcomplicated the qualification process? The old way was a lot simpler. I'm just looking at our own qualification group because not a notion after that. I presume Portugal are qualified as NL winners?

Nobody can automatically qualify through the nation's league. Portugal are guaranteed a play off spot.

Don't see how people are getting confused by qualification for euro 2020. If you win your nation's league group you're guaranteed a play off spot next march. Nobody can automatically qualify for euro 2020 through the nation's league. If you finish in the top two of your euro 2020 qualifiers group then you automatically qualify for euro 2020. The four remaining places are then decided next march in the play offs, if you won your nation's league group but have already qualified then your spot in the play off goes to the next highest ranked team in your league.

So Switzerland, Denmark and Georgia won their nation's league groups. They're guaranteed spots in next marches play offs. They'll play against the other teams that won their groups. If Switzerland and Denmark finish as the top two teams in the qualifiers then they automatically qualify and their spots in the play offs go to the next highest ranked team in their league. Now if every team in League A qualify automatically then they take the highest ranked teams from the league below that haven't already qualified for the play offs.

Nobody can automatically qualify through the nation's league. Portugal are guaranteed a play off spot.

Don't see how people are getting confused by qualification for euro 2020. If you win your nation's league group you're guaranteed a play off spot next march. Nobody can automatically qualify for euro 2020 through the nation's league. If you finish in the top two of your euro 2020 qualifiers group then you automatically qualify for euro 2020. The four remaining places are then decided next march in the play offs, if you won your nation's league group but have already qualified then your spot in the play off goes to the next highest ranked team in your league.

So Switzerland, Denmark and Georgia won their nation's league groups. They're guaranteed spots in next marches play offs. They'll play against the other teams that won their groups. If Switzerland and Denmark finish as the top two teams in the qualifiers then they automatically qualify and their spots in the play offs go to the next highest ranked team in their league. Now if every team in League A qualify automatically then they take the highest ranked teams from the league below that haven't already qualified for the play offs.

To be fair it has made it a bit more complicated to follow. All these permutations have made it a little less clear than it ever has been :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Toulon - Mexico v Ireland starts 12.30 on Freesports (in HD if you can manually tune it in - note SKY boxes will not process the signal correctly but any Freesat or generic FTA box will)

11.426 V, 27.500, 5/6, DVB-S, QPSK

Mexico kit is nice.

Hopefully a good game and a win. COYBIG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I don't get the qualifying myself but I haven't looked at it much. I'll know if we're close or not and after that I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Toulon - Mexico v Ireland starts 12.30 on Freesports (in HD if you can manually tune it in - note SKY boxes will not process the signal correctly but any Freesat or generic FTA box will)

11.426 V, 27.500, 5/6, DVB-S, QPSK

On BeIn Sports USA for anyone in the USA

Under 21s beaten 4-3 on penalties. Mexicans with the better penalties. Our keeper never filled me with confidence.

4th place is still a good achievement but we definitely left 3rd behind as the Mexicans werent better than us.

Game itself wasnt great. Both teams just seemed to cancel each other out. Good to see the high pressing. The occasional hit and hope still there though. Id be very hopeful about Kenny coming in as so far the U21s look like they are at least trying to play with the ball at feet...for the most part.

One thing is for sure we badly need better options when going forward. It seems to be an issue at all levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

4th place still a good achievement and we tried to play football for the most part.
    Be great if some of those lads can make the step up next season with their clubs or get loan moves.A season of regular football will make a world of difference to them.

Some really good prospects there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

A tournament that would really give you hope for the youth of Irish football

Held our own v Mexico twice, comprehensively beat China and a somewhat cagey win over Bahrain.

Only bet once in 90 mins against a seriously impressive Brazil u23 side with players playing at a high level.

Aaron Connolly player of the tournament for me, performances won't have gone unnoticed.

Jayson Molumby, Dara O'Shea, Lee O'Connor, Conor Coventry all played well throughout too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I only saw the China match, so it's hard to make any judgement but who, if any, looked like they have a chance of making it at the top flight ?

• Advertisement

The game ultimately is about scoring goals. Little from Kenny’s audition with the under 21s to suggest he has a strategy to get behind opposition’s defenses. Very early days obviously.

LowOdour wrote: »
    I only saw the China match, so it's hard to make any judgement but who, if any, looked like they have a chance of making it at the top flight ?

I think Connolly could feature with Brighton next season.Potter wasn't afraid to use youth at Swansea, albeit they had a lot of sales after relegation and it's a league down.

Connolly looks like a really good prospect and Brighton currently dont have a lot of options in attack.Of their 4 strikers the 2 who done well last season are 32 and 35 and the 2 bigger signings have been flops.Connolly has a realistic chance of coming through but if they do make signings I'd hope he can get a good loan move and play 25+ games.

The game ultimately is about scoring goals. Little from Kenny’s audition with the under 21s to suggest he has a strategy to get behind opposition’s defenses. Very early days obviously.

Yep 100% Clearly a massive issue for us. If Kenny were to find a quality striker he could end up having a successful reign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think it was a very successful first few games under Kenny's reign there. First team football wise it's still very inexperienced, and without guys like Parrott as well who would have certainly figured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Cannot see all those things falling into place.
    The truth is we are not nearly good enough and are far too slow to give youngsters a chance. We try to keep teams out and that won’t work all the time.

Yeah, you're right. The team is not good enough, and that's why you need the elements to fall into place. The Irish team has had some extraordinary luck to get where it's gotten to in 3 of the last 4 campaigns. For example, Ireland was shagged for getting to Euro 2012 until Slovakia shat the bed v. Armenia twice, and for 2016, Ireland were on course to finish behind Scotland until they managed to get beaten away by Georgia. Ireland cannot get out of groups these days unless luck favours the team in both their own games and in other games within the group. Not since qualifying for 2002 has the team taken a campaign by the scruff of the neck.

• Advertisement

Is it known if Troy Parrot will be fit for the under 19 Euros next month?

Is it known if Troy Parrot will be fit for the under 19 Euros next month?

Yup think I read somewhere he's fit again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

briany wrote: »
    Yeah, you're right. The team is not good enough, and that's why you need the elements to fall into place. The Irish team has had some extraordinary luck to get where it's gotten to in 3 of the last 4 campaigns. For example, Ireland was shagged for getting to Euro 2012 until Slovakia shat the bed v. Armenia twice, and for 2016, Ireland were on course to finish behind Scotland until they managed to get beaten away by Georgia. Ireland cannot get out of groups these days unless luck favours the team in both their own games and in other games within the group. Not since qualifying for 2002 has the team taken a campaign by the scruff of the neck.

Such bizarre logic.

But fine I'll play.

Holland ****ed up twice against Portugal in 2002 qualifying so we got "lucky" there. We also were blessed against the Dutch. We also got Iran in the play off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

briany wrote: »

Amazing that this daft post receives 3 thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Amazing that this daft post receives 3 thanks.

Bottom line when it comes to groups is everybody plays each other home and away. Just like in full club league campaigns the best team is going to come out on top and so on to second place etc. No luck involved over the course of the full campaign in terms of where teams finish position wise.

sugarman wrote: »
    Looks like the u19s will be a bare bones team of the squad that qualified for the tournament with many clubs not willing to release the players.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/boys-in-green-facing-tough-test-as-key-players-to-miss-u19-euros-38239635.html?__twitter_impression=true

Great all the same that a month from now 8 countries will fight it out to be crowned the best under 19s in Europe that aren’t good enough to be considered in the preseason plans of the lie club’s first team coach....goosebumps.

sugarman wrote: »
    Not sure what youre getting at, most u19s are playing in their clubs youth teams and will be available. Its encouraging we've so many young lads getting their chances with the first team this year even if it is only preseason.

Its disappointing of course, but you can understand the likes of Brighton not wanting to release Connolly after a lengthy injury and having already featured in the Toulon tournament this summer. Similarly Spurs with Parrot, only just getting back from Injury. Same for Southampton with Obafemi. Even Idah while not injured has had a very long season.

We still have a decent lot to pick from and should still do well.

Pretty obvious what I’m getting at. Not much point in a competition or it’s certainly of hugely reduced importance if the squad that qualified is different to the squad that plays in the tournament.

This tournament will be between the best under 19s released by their clubs (with a lot of those not being released not in anyway established players at their clubs). It will not be between the best under 19s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pretty obvious what I’m getting at. Not much point in a competition or it’s certainly of hugely reduced importance if the squad that qualified is different to the squad that plays in the tournament.

This tournament will be between the best under 19s released by their clubs (with a lot of those not being released not in anyway established players at their clubs). It will not be between the best under 19s.

Everything under senior level suffers from more fluid team selections whether it be club or international.

noodler wrote: »
    Everything under senior level suffers from more fluid team selections whether it be club or international.

Indeed but the only important thing is that it seriously risks undermining my enjoyment of this tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So all of John Delaney’s claims that the stadium would be paid for and the FAI would be debt free next year 2020 is now wrong.

According to the FAI today it will now be at least a decade before they are debt free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

So all of John Delaney’s claims that the stadium would be paid for and the FAI would be debt free next year 2020 is now wrong.

According to the FAI today it will now be at least a decade before they are debt free.

Think it was clear to anyone with half a brain even before any of this broke that it wasnt going to be paid.....from what?? The FAI didnt have the income streams.

Said it a few months ago, the only repayment would have been a new loan to repay the old one, maybe at better interest rates but I even doubted that. He would have tried to hide it to make everything look fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wouldn't be confident they'll be debt-free or Delaney-free by 2030 either. He's still getting a handsome sum on his 'gardening leave' isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Regarding under 19's, I'd much rather a weakened team is going on the basis that players are being promoted at their respective clubs.

Bottom line is all under age football groups are about player development. It's a nice bonus to win something or do well, but a mistake to get too invested in it (as an Ireland supporter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

The incredible thing about this is that all the sticks Delaney is getting beaten with and no one seems to remember the biggest blot of all on his copybook?!

... the FAIs commitment to Aviva renovation works was €74m.
    ISG offered €75m straight up for control of all the premium seats for 10 years (these are the small middle tier seats that never ever sell out).
    So, FAI would have got €75m and stadium debt immediately cleared no matter how well or badly ISGs sales went.
    It was such a no brainier but Delaney inexplicably decided FAI would remain in charge of them and give ISG commission to sell on their behalf!

He’s literally cost Irish football millions and this is not just with benefit of hindsight for me. It was incredulous at the time and has been proven to be the thick decision it so blatantly looked like. How he survived that one decision alone from a business standpoint I’ll never know?

Nunu wrote: »
    He’s literally cost Irish football millions and this is not just with benefit of hindsight for me. It was incredulous at the time and has been proven to be the thick decision it so blatantly looked like. How he survived that one decision alone from a business standpoint I’ll never know?

As it benefited the likes of Eddie Murray and Michael Cody, who knew that John Delaney wouldn't rock the gravy train like Fran Rooney would have so they helped him get in and played up to his ego because they were benefiting financially for it.

Teflon John thought nobody could touch him but if the likes of Murray and Cody wanted him out of the FAI he'd have been gone faster than you could say Fran Rooney. But nobody wanted him gone because they were gaining from JD being the main guy. His ego was being massaged thinking he was the man drinking cans with the lads while the coffin Dodgers were in the background silently milking the system.

And speaking of the FAI, this season's FAI Junior Cup still hasn't finished and teams have already organised for their pre seasons to begin first week in June.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Regarding under 19's, I'd much rather a weakened team is going on the basis that players are being promoted at their respective clubs.

Bottom line is all under age football groups are about player development. It's a nice bonus to win something or do well, but a mistake to get too invested in it (as an Ireland supporter).

Take your point but I doubt the extent of the promotion. If Idah, the Brighton lad or Conor Coventry get one league start between them this season I’ll be surprised. It’s just coz they are probably short handed after summer international tournaments rather than being in first team plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

Take your point but I doubt the extent of the promotion. If Idah, the Brighton lad or Conor Coventry get one league start between them this season I’ll be surprised. It’s just coz they are probably short handed after summer international tournaments rather than being in first team plans.

They may well be there to just make up the numbers, but any chance of breaking through at at club level is only going to happen through opportunity like this (as unassuming as it may now appear).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Squad of 30 players for the u19s training camp, to be cut to a final squad of 20.

Goalkeepers: Brian Maher (St Patrick's Athletic), George McMahon (Burnley), Luke McNicholas (Sligo Rovers), Jimmy Corcoran (Preston North End)

Defenders: Andy Lyons (Bohemians), Tom Gaston (Bordeaux), Mark McGuinness (Arsenal), Oisin McEntee (Newcastle United), Andrew Omobamidele (Norwich City), Timi Sobowale (Manchester City), Jack James (Unattached), Ciaran Brennan (Sheffield Wednesday), Kameron Ledwidge (Southampton)

Midfielders: Luca Connell (Bolton Wanderers), Joe Hodge (Manchester City), Adam O'Reilly (Preston North End), Aaron Bolger (Shamrock Rovers), Conor Grant (Sheffield Wednesday), Will Smallbone (Southampton), Niall Morahan (Sligo Rovers), Brandon Kavanagh (Shamrock Rovers), Shane Farrell (Shelbourne), Richie O'Farrell (UCD)

Forwards: Jonathan Afolabi (Unattached), Ryan Cassidy (Watford), Ali Reghba (Bohemians), Rowan Roache (Blackpool), Will Ferry (Southampton), Tyriek Wright (Aston Villa), Festy Ebosele (Derby County)

Squad of 30 players for the u19s training camp, to be cut to a final squad of 20.

Goalkeepers: Brian Maher (St Patrick's Athletic), George McMahon (Burnley), Luke McNicholas (Sligo Rovers), Jimmy Corcoran (Preston North End)

Defenders: Andy Lyons (Bohemians), Tom Gaston (Bordeaux), Mark McGuinness (Arsenal), Oisin McEntee (Newcastle United), Andrew Omobamidele (Norwich City), Timi Sobowale (Manchester City), Jack James (Unattached), Ciaran Brennan (Sheffield Wednesday), Kameron Ledwidge (Southampton)

Midfielders: Luca Connell (Bolton Wanderers), Joe Hodge (Manchester City), Adam O'Reilly (Preston North End), Aaron Bolger (Shamrock Rovers), Conor Grant (Sheffield Wednesday), Will Smallbone (Southampton), Niall Morahan (Sligo Rovers), Brandon Kavanagh (Shamrock Rovers), Shane Farrell (Shelbourne), Richie O'Farrell (UCD)

Forwards: Jonathan Afolabi (Unattached), Ryan Cassidy (Watford), Ali Reghba (Bohemians), Rowan Roache (Blackpool), Will Ferry (Southampton), Tyriek Wright (Aston Villa), Festy Ebosele (Derby County)

So no Connolly, Idah, o’Connor, Knight, Coventry, Collins, Obafemi, Parrott or Bazuna.

Ruins the enjoyments of it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

So no Connolly, Idah, o’Connor, Knight, Coventry, Collins, Obafemi, Parrott or Bazuna.

I think its a poor decision. I know it happens with other countries but usually much bigger footballing nations(France, England etc)

Romania sent their best team to the u21's including Puscas upfront who is probably their best senior player atm.

We are a small footballing nation, realistically we will never win anything at Senior and u21 level. Big chance with this generation but now too many good players are excluded. Its a shame, it would give Irish football a real boost if they were succesful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The bones of a starting XI there. Disappointing that a lot of players aren't included but hopefully it means that some of them will get first team football under their belt this season. It would be great to win or do well in this tournament but at the end of the day developing lads to play for the senior team is the aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

If you're going to complain about players not being involved at least get their names right

wadacrack wrote: »
    I think its a poor decision. I know it happens with other countries but usually much bigger footballing nations(France, England etc)

Romania sent their best team to the u21's including Puscas upfront who is probably their best senior player atm.

We are a small footballing nation, realistically we will never win anything at Senior and u21 level. Big chance with this generation but now too many good players are excluded. Its a shame, it would give Irish football a real boost if they were succesful

Under 21 is different in that it happens in the club off season.

I can see both sides of the argument but ultimately qualifying with one squad and playing the actual tournament with a far inferior squad is a deeply flawed way of running the competition as a whole.

And it’s particularly hard to take considering how little involvement the missing players will have with their first team at their clubs this season.

Sure Luca Connell gets to go and he might have more first team club appearances than the missing players combined.

I can see both sides of the argument but ultimately qualifying with one squad and playing the actual tournament with a far inferior squad is a deeply flawed way of running the competition as a whole.

And it’s particularly hard to take considering how little involvement the missing players will have with their first team at their clubs this season.

Sure Luca Connell gets to go and he might have more first team club appearances than the missing players combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I thought the players weren't released by their clubs in this case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Under 21 one doesn't happen in the club off season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

29 years ago today to make some of us feel old.

Corcoran is a better keeper than Bazuna who looked shaky when playing with the 17s, only natural that he'd be brought in to train with the two 19s keepers.

But it's gonna be fun though to see who gets crowned the best U19s team in Europe*

*From the pool of players that could get released from their clubs that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

On paper with the talent coming through it's quite possible we might have to make hard choices and some good players might not even get in the irish squad

We could have some great goalkeeping options in the next 5-10 years. Same with forwards

Like before some players might turn out not to be as promising as we think

It would be a great problem to have unfortunately many of these promising youngsters wont make it to senior international level.It happens all the time some just never make the jump from underage squads to senior squads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement