Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

sugarman wrote: »

France obviously, thinking Norway and the Czech Republic. Would have known the flags 20 years ago but old age etc. Teeny bit irritated that they wouldn't just give the names of the countries, but it's Monday etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

France obviously, thinking Norway and the Czech Republic. Would have known the flags 20 years ago but old age etc. Teeny bit irritated that they wouldn't just give the names of the countries, but it's Monday etc. etc.

Ah jaysus :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Liam Kelly has just signed for Feyenoord from Reading. Not sure what happened with him that time he pulled out of the squad a year or two ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Liam Kelly has just signed for Feyenoord from Reading. Not sure what happened with him that time he pulled out of the squad a year or two ago?

He didn’t want to play for us he was holding out for England. I thought it was a weird move till I saw jaap stam his old reading manager is in charge at feynoord now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

No point worrying about Kelly. Mick won't watch a DVD of him same as Crowley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Cool to hear an Irish player is at Feyenoord. Brings back memories of David Connolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I don't think that's true at all, if I recall he said he wasn't available for personal reasons and it was O'Neill that made a big meal of it. Given O'Neills history with the Rice and Obafemi situations I'd be inclined to take his word for it over O'Neill's.

The "personal reasons" seemed to be members of his family wanted him to play for Ireland/England and he was 50/50 so decided to pull away from international football.
    He's another on the fence merchant that if he gets a tour around George's Park and a power point presentation won't be seen in an Ireland jersey again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

rebelomar wrote: »

Yeah, it’s not like Mick took the time to head out to Holland to watch the Dutch FA Cup final hopping to see Crowley play or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I'd give the lad the benefit of the doubt, the game he was called up for was a friendly so wasn't like he would have been tied to us and before that he went to ever preliminary squad that he was named in and some of those were probably for competitive matches.

And given some of O'Neills comments surrounding Obafemi I'd take his comments about Kelly wanting to keep his options open with a pinch of salt. And it's not like Kelly was someone playing for a bottom half team in the Premier League, he was playing with Reading who were fighting off relegation from the championship and even then he wasn't really standing out much like Luca Connell was with Bolton. He would have been something like 5th, 6th or 7th choice for us so I find it hard to believe he's holding out for England when the only midfielder we had who would have gotten a game for England at the time was Declan Rice.

Yeah, it’s not like Mick took the time to head out to Holland to watch the Dutch FA Cup final hopping to see Crowley play or anything.

Are you for real man. You think in 2019 it's acceptable to go see a player live once and then say "I haven't seen him play," send a scout, request some game footage from his club...do something!

He played a full season worth of league games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I’m a bit miffed as to why people are even bothered about Liam Kelly. He’s coming up to 24, scored 1 goal and 0 assists the season just gone whereas another central midfielder Alan Browne who is the same age scored 12 goals and 5 assists. Browne also ended up being rated at #25 in the Championship whereas Kelly didn’t even get listed.

I genuinely would have been delighted had Browne gone to Holland because I feel he could tear up the league there.

Still think he will be bought before the new season starts.

I’m a bit miffed as to why people are even bothered about Liam Kelly. He’s coming up to 24, scored 1 goal and 0 assists the season just gone whereas another central midfielder Alan Browne who is the same age scored 12 goals and 5 assists. Browne also ended up being rated at #25 in the Championship whereas Kelly didn’t even get listed.

I genuinely would have been delighted had Browne gone to Holland because I feel he could tear up the league there.

Still think he will be bought before the new season starts.

It's all about having strength in depth and options plus he's still technically an Irish player. Kelly might be far down the pecking order at the moment but if he tears it up in Holland over the next 3 years, his style of play is more suited to a more technical league then you've got yourself a decent player for the next few years.

I'd like to see Browne get a good move abroad. He's a cracking player who'll play a big role under Kenny imo. But couldn't see a Dutch team willing to pay the big money Preston would want for him when you consider Kelly probably went for small money to the team that finished third in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Kelly later contradicted O’Neill’s version of events, telling the Reading Chronicle: “It had nothing to do with feeling English or Irish, it was a personal thing between me and my family which we thought was best. There are no ifs and buts about it, it was just how I was feeling at the time.”

Seems Connor Ronan has returned to Slovakia to play with DAC. Good move for him and they play Thursday night against Cracovia (finished 4th in the Polish league) in the Europa League first qualifying round.

Interesting that himself, Crowley and Kelly will all be playing in Europe now. I know Kelly is a bit of a deeper player but all good technical players who like getting on the ball, something the national team is in need of and they will probably be better suited to playing on the continent. If they all continue to do well Stephen Kenny will surely have a place in his squad for at least one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So is that Johnson guy for Celtic going to play with us ???

Why do some choose us over scotland ?

PTH2009 wrote: »

I'd love to know if we've approached him before about playing for Ireland, he's really impressed me anytime I've seen him play with Celtic. Though he'll be capped in the next game for Scotland, don't know who he'd be competing with for a spot at LW for Scotland but he's gonna be a massive player for Scotland.

Interesting that himself, Crowley and Kelly will all be playing in Europe now. I know Kelly is a bit of a deeper player but all good technical players who like getting on the ball, something the national team is in need of and they will probably be better suited to playing on the continent. If they all continue to do well Stephen Kenny will surely have a place in his squad for at least one of them.

Hopefully when more players realise they're more suited to the continent and go abroad the better for us. Think that's were some of the better players to leave the LOI have failed by not looking beyond the UK for a professional career. If some of the guys abroad plus the young English players going abroad impress then maybe bigger clubs might start looking at Irish youngsters as well.

The one player I really want to see move abroad for a bit is Adam Idah. If Norwich loan him out to a lower league team in England he'll be used as a battering ram more or less for some team playing long balls all day long. He needs to develop the technical side to his game to become a more all round player and don't think he'll get that in League 2 or League 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Mikey Johnston?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Are you for real man. You think in 2019 it's acceptable to go see a player live once and then say "I haven't seen him play," send a scout, request some game footage from his club...do something!

You reckon Mick hadn't done any of that before deciding he was worth looking at?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hopefully when more players realise they're more suited to the continent and go abroad the better for us. Think that's were some of the better players to leave the LOI have failed by not looking beyond the UK for a professional career. If some of the guys abroad plus the young English players going abroad impress then maybe bigger clubs might start looking at Irish youngsters as well.

The one player I really want to see move abroad for a bit is Adam Idah. If Norwich loan him out to a lower league team in England he'll be used as a battering ram more or less for some team playing long balls all day long. He needs to develop the technical side to his game to become a more all round player and don't think he'll get that in League 2 or League 1.

Definitely, it was clear as day with Graham Burke for example that he was not going to immediately suit playing in the lower leagues in England. He would have been ideal to go further afield, and there have been plenty of others too. It has happened so suddenly with English youngsters that you would think if we had a couple that went to Europe and were successful it could become a more common road for our players fairly quickly.

Interesting to hear the likes of Farrugia and Mandriou say they would be open to moves outside of the UK, you'd imagine both will end up getting snapped up eventually.

Agree on Idah. The case could be made for most attacking players that moving to a less physical and more technical league could benefit them at a young age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Direct quote from Kelly today

“If I perform well at Feyenoord, maybe I’ll get a chance,” he said of his prospects with Ireland. “It would be a great honour and good for my development too.”

He’s right, if he performs for Feyenoord he should be in our squad. Be surprised if he does but an incredible opportunity to move to a great club in an iconic stadium for a guy with a humble career up to now. I’d be pinching myself if I was him.

In other news Footballing nomad Cillian Sheridan has moved to a club in Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

No he'll play for Scotland unfortunately for us, he's a very good prospect.

Scotland has elements of the sectarianism that you would see in Northern Ireland, less so now but it's still there. Celtic players or players with Irish Catholic backgrounds were suspected of being overlooked in the past with the Scottish national team and some from that background became more disposed to playing for Ireland for that reason. Scotland used to have a good pick to choose from or a better pick than more recently in the 60's and 70's. It's less likely to happen now that their pool of talent has diminished.

It's less likely that top English guys with an Irish background will play for us now as well for the same reason.

You reckon Mick hadn't done any of that before deciding he was worth looking at?? :rolleyes:

I'm only going on what the man himself has said

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/football/mick-mccarthy-daniel-crowley-199720

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Hopefully he gets a good run of games, he was excellent for Macclesfield in 2nd half of last season and was a big reason why they stayed up.

He was written off by some here as having a poor season a few months ago then went and won player of the year for Macclesfield. Sums some of the posters here up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

D14Rugby wrote: »
    He was written off by some here as having a poor season a few months ago then went and won player of the year for Macclesfield. Sums some of the posters here up

Steady on.
    He won player of the year at Macclesfield. I doubt he joined Manchester United as a 16 year old to fulfil his dream of one day being player of the year at Macclesfield Town.
    His competition were players that also weren't getting paid at Macclesfield.

They finished 3 points off relegation to non league and only for Notts County were somehow worse than them they would have been relegated.

O'Hara wasn't even the best Manchester United goalkeeper on loan last year. Dean Henderson is a year younger at 22 and managed to play regularly for Sheffield when they got promoted to the Premier league.

There was a hell of alot expected of O'Hara and it looks like his level is around League 1 or 2, which most people are naturally disappointed with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I'm not usually one to get involved with these types of issues, RTE's coverage of football is fairly clueless at the best of times when it comes to Irish football and particularly anything away from the Premiership players we've had, but I thought the following headline was a disgrace and shows how GAA centric their coverage & reporters are.
    RTE Sport wrote:
    The failed hurler looking to make mark at the U19 Euros

The article is about Tyreik Wright, a young player with Villa who will be part of Ireland's U-19 Euro's squad next month. A big enough achievement in and of itself you'd think.

The bulk of the article mainly discusses his previous experience at underage level for Ireland in the U-17 Euro's and how he's looking forward to the tournament ahead. He outlines his development for his club, says he's trained with the first team a couple of times as well was played in the reserve side. There's some of the more standard fare for interviews with youth players in there too - about how difficult it is to move from home at 15.

The only reference the article makes to GAA at all is the following quote from Wright - "I was good at Gaelic football but shocking at hurling. Around 12 or 13 I made the choice that it was football for me."

How somebody can infer that a child who decides to play sport A over sport B equates to them being a "failure" at the latter must require some level of mental gymnastics. Other outlets carrying the interview (The Sun, Mirror, Times etc.) are all going with very different headlines that actually concentrate on the subject of the interview.

Anyway, bit of a rant, we're used to media spin and football afterall, but I thought that this was something else entirely and a disgrace that RTE would decide to belittle somebody's achievements so much by making a tenuous link to a decision they made as a child and labeling them a failure for it.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0710/1061326-the-failed-hurler-looking-to-make-mark-at-the-u19-euros/

Steady on.
    He won player of the year at Macclesfield. I doubt he joined Manchester United as a 16 year old to fulfil his dream of one day being player of the year at Macclesfield Town.
    His competition were players that also weren't getting paid at Macclesfield.

They finished 3 points off relegation to non league and only for Notts County were somehow worse than them they would have been relegated.

O'Hara wasn't even the best Manchester United goalkeeper on loan last year. Dean Henderson is a year younger at 22 and managed to play regularly for Sheffield when they got promoted to the Premier league.

There was a hell of alot expected of O'Hara and it looks like his level is around League 1 or 2, which most people are naturally disappointed with.

That's not what I was saying though. People were saying he was playing poorly for Macclesfield, they were basing this purely on their league position. His award says otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

I'd love to know if we've approached him before about playing for Ireland, he's really impressed me anytime I've seen him play with Celtic. Though he'll be capped in the next game for Scotland, don't know who he'd be competing with for a spot at LW for Scotland but he's gonna be a massive player for Scotland.

Firstly I think this year is going to be a break out year for Mikey Johnston with the first team at Celtic. He has just turned 20 and did quite well in spots last season.
    Technically he is eligible to play for Ireland and yes he has been approached before about playing for Ireland but that was a while back and I do not think anything came of it and currently he is a Scotland U21 international. I think if he does indeed have a break out season this year it will not be long before he is playing in a full competitive international with Scotland and locked into them.

In short technically he is still eligible to play for us but I am not aware of any indication from the player that he is even interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Callum Robinson on way to a PL club. Given permission to leave training camp to talk terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

Corholio wrote: »
    Callum Robinson on way to a PL club. Given permission to leave training camp to talk terms.

Could be positive for Graham Burke and Alan Browne with one less player vying for the position.

See Villa and Sheffield United are being mentioned as the team that has put a bid in for him also. He'll be a big loss for Preston but his contract expires next summer so best to cash in now.

Republic of Ireland Under-19 Squad
    Goalkeepers:
    Brian Maher (St Patrick's Athletic), George McMahon (Burnley)
    Defenders:
    Andy Lyons (Bohemians), Mark McGuinness (Arsenal), Oisin McEntee (Newcastle United), Andrew Omobamidele (Norwich City), Jack James (Unattached), Kameron Ledwidge (Southampton), Ciaran Brennan (Sheffield Wednesday)
    Midfielders:
    Joe Hodge (Manchester City), Lee O'Connor (Manchester United), Barry Coffey (Celtic), Niall Morahan (Sligo Rovers), Brandon Kavanagh (Shamrock Rovers), Conor Grant (Sheffield Wednesday)
    Forwards:
    Jonathan Afolabi (Unattached), Ali Reghba (Leicester City), Tyreik Wright (Aston Villa), Matt Everitt (Brighton & Hove Albion), Festy Ebosele (Derby County)

No Aaron Bolger which is probably good news for his Cardiff career if not good from a perspective of doing well at the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Who were the unattached lads released by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

James was with Luton but out on loan.Afolabi was with Southampton,he was linked to Millwall recently.

• Advertisement

Who were the unattached lads released by?

Jack James was released by Luton Town and the other lad was at Southampton.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Republic of Ireland Under-19 Squad
    Goalkeepers:
    Brian Maher (St Patrick's Athletic), George McMahon (Burnley)
    Defenders:
    Andy Lyons (Bohemians), Mark McGuinness (Arsenal), Oisin McEntee (Newcastle United), Andrew Omobamidele (Norwich City), Jack James (Unattached), Kameron Ledwidge (Southampton), Ciaran Brennan (Sheffield Wednesday)
    Midfielders:
    Joe Hodge (Manchester City), Lee O'Connor (Manchester United), Barry Coffey (Celtic), Niall Morahan (Sligo Rovers), Brandon Kavanagh (Shamrock Rovers), Conor Grant (Sheffield Wednesday)
    Forwards:
    Jonathan Afolabi (Unattached), Ali Reghba (Leicester City), Tyreik Wright (Aston Villa), Matt Everitt (Brighton & Hove Albion), Festy Ebosele (Derby County)

No Aaron Bolger which is probably good news for his Cardiff career if not good from a perspective of doing well at the tournament.

Great to see some of the lads from the U17 Euros earlier in the year being promoted up the age groups. Was impressed with Hodge and Everitt then. Know Omobamidele was in that squad too. Any others?

Ebosele is another.

Surprised Timi Sobowale didn't get a call up also.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Ebosele is another.

Surprised Timi Sobowale didn't get a call up also.

Agree with you there with Sobowale. Another promising player

Robinson signs a four year deal at Sheffield United. Surely all Irish fans will be cheering for them this season with the Irish contingent they have there.

• Advertisement

Be interesting to see how he'll fit in at Sheffield United or if they'll change up how they play in the PL. If they continue playing 3-5-2 you'd assume he'll be playing as one of the strikers, can't see him and McGoldrick both starting up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Robinson signs a four year deal at Sheffield United. Surely all Irish fans will be cheering for them this season with the Irish contingent they have there.

why is alan browne not getting a move from preston to the premier league? robinson is good but browne would be considered the better player?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Not sure too many young Irish Scots would be dying to play for us after seeing some of the rubbish that MacGeady and McCarthy got. Sometimes I felt they got extra criticism for not being Irish born.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jay1988

clsmooth wrote: »
    Not sure too many young Irish Scots would be dying to play for us after seeing some of the rubbish that MacGeady and McCarthy got. Sometimes I felt they got extra criticism for not being Irish born.

Not so sure about McCarthy but i'd imagine McGeady got more stick for being one of the most frustrating players we've ever had, he had bags of talent but absolutely no football brain, the amount of times i seen him beat a defender twice, only to lose it on the third attempt and the less said about his crossing, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

One of McGoldrick or Robinson will probably play as the no.10 behind the 2 strikers.

They've lost loan signings Dowell, Hogan and Madine up top and attacking mid, so theres plenty of room for him to slot in.

Have a mate who's a United fan and reckons Robinson wont be a starter for them.With his versatility he will be used as a utility player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Speaking of McCarthy, how’s he getting on? Two broken legs since Euro 2016? Or at least a broken leg and another serious injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

yabadabado wrote: »
    Have a mate who's a United fan and reckons Robinson wont be a starter for them.With his versatility he will be used as a utility player.

I can't see him being behind Billy Sharp for long tbh. If they get Maupay then yeah Robinson will only be rotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Delighted Robinson is gone to Sheffield United. I didn't like the talk of him going to Norwich as I think he would have struggled to break into their attack. I think the Sheffield attack is a much more viable option.

Conor Hourihane signs a new contract at Villa. Big season ahead for him and he's back at a Premier League club after leaving Sunderland ten years ago with stints in League 2 and League 1 before signing with Villa.

Everyone loves a good transfer rumour and there's a few involving Irish youngsters and Cyrus Christie.

Irish youth international Mipo Odubeko, 16 and of Nigerian descent has left Man United with interest for Odubeko coming from Feyenoord, Bayern Munich and Genoa. Odubeko is a target for clubs in both the Bundesliga and 2.Bundesliga. Corey Whelan who was released from Liverpool has apparently attracted attention from clubs in the 2.Bundesliga too.

Anselmo Garcia MacNulty, current U17s international has left his club Real Betis to join Wolfsburg. Nathan Collins whose tipped to break into Stokes senior squad this season has interest from Werder Bremen and one other German club along with links to Man United.

Ryan Nolan could be looking at leaving Inter in search of first team football. Vitesse Arnhem and RB Leipzig are both showing interest in Nolan along with clubs in England. Cyrus Christie is apparently a transfer target for Sporting Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

. Cyrus Christie is apparently a transfer target for Sporting Lisbon.

Jesus. They must be desperate for a RB-cum-inside-right-Central-midfielder

Or maybe they are planning to sign Matt Doherty and they need to bring in Cyrus to help him through games.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement