Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Listening to S Kenny on Dunphy's podcast he mentioned u19 striker Afolabi has joined Leicester after he was recently released by Southampton.

*edit he may be mixing him up with Ali Reghba?

Anyone know why Mipo Odubeko didn't make the Euro u17 squad if so many big clubs were interested? Is this silly season stuff or was he injured for the tournament or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Jesus. They must be desperate for a RB-cum-inside-right-Central-midfielder

Or maybe they are planning to sign Matt Doherty and they need to bring in Cyrus to help him through games.

Tbf to Cyrus he's a decent back up option, the lads athletic and don't think he's let us down defensively when playing for Ireland. Think he bore the burnt of supporters frustration in 2018 when it should have been a year of trying out new players, our first choice RB was injured and we played 3-5-2 but MON stuck with Christie and moved him into midfield after the Rice stuff went down.

Having your third choice RB being a top level championship player and maybe bottom level premier League player isn't bad for a country like Ireland.
    rebelomar wrote: »
    Anyone know why Mipo Odubeko didn't make the Euro u17 squad if so many big clubs were interested? Is this silly season stuff or was he injured for the tournament or what?

Not sure if he was injured as he played in two friendlies before the tournament. But underage football can be weird were lads can be impressive at club level but don't adapt to the international scene. Take Jack James, released by Luton Town at 19 which from the outside looking in is a bad sign but anytime he's played with Ireland he's been impressive playing out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

clsmooth wrote: »
    Not sure too many young Irish Scots would be dying to play for us after seeing some of the rubbish that MacGeady and McCarthy got. Sometimes I felt they got extra criticism for not being Irish born.

As someone else said I think the only stick McGeady gets is due to the absolute frustration of watching him. Have never heard anyone mention his nationality.

If anything, I’d say it’s closer to the opposite. He probably has a lot more support than his performances have deserved amongst the Celtic supporting section of Ireland fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

sugarman wrote: »
    Gavin Bazunu has been included in City's pre season tour.

Great bit of experience for the young lad!

Came here to say this. Obviously made an impression there already. Been a very full on schedule for him though hope they're guarding against burnout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Jesus. They must be desperate for a RB-cum-inside-right-Central-midfielder

Or maybe they are planning to sign Matt Doherty and they need to bring in Cyrus to help him through games.

Tbf to Cyrus he's a decent back up option, the lads athletic and don't think he's let us down defensively when playing for Ireland. Think he bore the burnt of supporters frustration in 2018 when it should have been a year of trying out new players, our first choice RB was injured and we played 3-5-2 but MON stuck with Christie and moved him into midfield after the Rice stuff went down.

Having your third choice RB being a top level championship player and maybe bottom level premier League player isn't bad for a country like Ireland.

I was being facetious. Just a reminder of how outrageous the situation was. I wasn't really having a go at Cyrus. He's always done his best when playing for us.

Was driving tonight and by chance listened to this podcast (sorry, link is to info, presume it can be found on RTÉ Player), about the time the FAI decided the national side would tour South America and play Argentina for £50,000. Except many of the Irish players had British passports and Argentina and England were at war in the Falklands. And it lurched from bad to worse...

https://radio.rte.ie/radio1highlights/doc-on-one-cigarettes-and-samba/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Just a reminder that the U19s are kicking off against Norway on RTE2 now.

Take off Jack James. He's not a left back. Put Ledwidge back and Everitt left wing.

A very poor start but when you start with 6 defenders in your line up it sends a message (unintentionally here i feel) to the team. Need to be more positive and they have been in the last 20 mins before half time.

Well in the game.

Superb strike from Hodge to level the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Nice equaliser and deserved too from what I've seen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Super technique and finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fûcking whistle there, Irish player not on the deck and I think referee doesn’t blow and Reghba though on goal, typical Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Good goal. Thought that was a foul by our goalie just after that, it was one of those that could have been given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Passing gone to fûck, simple ten yard passes nowhere near finding their targets.

Was always gonna be a hard game when you're missing first and second choice players from your squad. Be interesting to see if other teams have been affected as bad as us when it comes to players not being released by their clubs.

• Advertisement

Much better again in the second half. We just lacked that bit of creativity to feed Afolabi and Kavangh should have gambled a few times and gotten past his striker or in the box.

Great strike for our goal. Really good technique.

Tyreik Wright will strengthen us for the next game. Hopefully Ebosele will be fit enough to make an impact off the bench.

Considering what we were missing and Norway were more or less at full strength that was a very admiral result and performance.

Much better again in the second half. We just lacked that bit of creativity to feed Afolabi and Kavangh should have gambled a few times and gotten past his striker or in the box.

Great strike for our goal. Really good technique.

Tyreik Wright will strengthen us for the next game. Hopefully Ebosele will be fit enough to make an impact off the bench.

Considering what we were missing and Norway were more or less at full strength that was a very admiral result and performance.

Who else was missing? I guess players like Connell or Okoflex who are in and around first team squads at their clubs are unavailable for this?

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Who else was missing? I guess players like Connell or Okoflex who are in and around first team squads at their clubs are unavailable for this?

Adam Idah, Troy Parrot, Aaron Connolly, Will Ferry, Will Smallbone, Jason Knight, Conor Coventry, Aaron Bolger, Luca Connell. Those are the attacking players missing off the top of my head, Nathan Collins is missing too, the only players left who played in the 2-1 win over Netherlands are O'Connor, James, Lyons and Maher.

Adam Idah, Troy Parrot, Aaron Connolly, Will Ferry, Will Smallbone, Jason Knight, Conor Coventry, Aaron Bolger, Luca Connell. Those are the attacking players missing off the top of my head, Nathan Collins is missing too, the only players left who played in the 2-1 win over Netherlands are O'Connor, James, Lyons and Maher.

Very difficult for the manager to organize and pick a team with so many missing. Good result. Should be a law against clubs not releasing young players for this, most of those clubs are in pre season anyway and those players mentioned are hardly first team regulars

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Very difficult for the manager to organize and pick a team with so many missing. Good result. Should be a law against clubs not releasing young players for this, most of those clubs are in pre season anyway and those players mentioned are hardly first team regulars

Yeah it's ridiculous alright that clubs have to release players for first qualifying stage and elite round but can refuse to release players for the actually finals because it's outside the international window. What kind of backwards way of organising things is that. Seeing as these tournaments run every year it would make more sense to have the qualifiers and finals all in the same calendar year played in March, September and the finals in October for 17s and November for the 19s, each round falls inside an international window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Joe Hodge only eligible through a grandmother and has being in England underage squads. No sense in getting too attached.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Joe Hodge only eligible through a grandmother and has being in England underage squads. No sense in getting too attached.

Hodge is a weird one. Has played both underage for England and us, nothing strange with that but Hodge was first choice for England. Others might choose to play underage for us because England overlook them but Hodge chose us to play underage with even though he was a starter for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Hodge is a weird one. Has played both underage for England and us, nothing strange with that but Hodge was first choice for England. Others might choose to play underage for us because England overlook them but Hodge chose us to play underage with even though he was a starter for England.

That is interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hodge looks a great prospect but I do get the feeling he'll drift back to England eventually. Hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

The lad isn’t even 17 until September. Would love to see him fast tracked to U21 level. Has the likes of Molumby, Coventry and Ronan ahead of him at the moment, I think he’s good enough to challenge them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

D14Rugby wrote: »

Indeed it is but now Shane Ross has demanded he withdraw which is a good move

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Dan Crowley set to sign for Birmingham.

Shocking move for him if it happens. He's already has his struggles in the English lower leagues. Birmingham played very direct football last season.

I hope he does well obviously but another season in Holland would have done him no harm at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

Apparently Ryan Nolan looking away from Inter.

Few clubs in the EPL and championship interested. Could join Luca Connell at Celtic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Shocking move for him if it happens. He's already has his struggles in the English lower leagues. Birmingham played very direct football last season.

I hope he does well obviously but another season in Holland would have done him no harm at all.

It's hardly the horror move some seem to think it is.

He's 22 in a few weeks. Theres only so long he can dick around at Willem waiting for Ajax to become interested.

It's €800,000 for Willem and a move to a club within a half an hour of where Crowley is from. Also probably a nice bump in his wages too.
    If he does well a club further up the food chain will come in for him. If he doesn't. He's probably not up to it.

It's hardly the horror move some seem to think it is.

He's 22 in a few weeks. Theres only so long he can dick around at Willem waiting for Ajax to become interested.

It's €800,000 for Willem and a move to a club within a half an hour of where Crowley is from. Also probably a nice bump in his wages too.
    If he does well a club further up the food chain will come in for him. If he doesn't. He's probably not up to it.

Birmingham are also an absolute mess on amd off the pitch at the moment and they didn't play a style anyway suited to Crowley last season.

It's not giving him the best chance to prove himself in my opinion.

The fee Willem receive is irrelevant really.

If it happens I wish him all the best obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Birmingham are also an absolute mess on amd off the pitch at the moment and they didn't play a style anyway suited to Crowley last season.

It's not giving him the best chance to prove himself in my opinion.

The fee Willem receive is irrelevant really.

If it happens I wish him all the best obviously.

Monk was sacked from Birmingham this year so there's a chance their new manager will play a different style which could benefit Crowley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The new manager may play a style more suited to Crowley but the club is a bit of a basket case at the moment.

Hope it all works out for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Another peach scored by this lad last night. How a bigger club hasn't come in for him yet is beyond me.

Have a look here.

https://twitter.com/pnefc/status/1151408725711884320?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

didnt see his name on the teamsheet from monday but is Ryan Johannsson absent too?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Hes not eligible, he played for Luxembourg in qualifying.

Speaking of him, I see he started in midfield for Bayern against Arsenal last night.

You sure? I can only see a U21s cap for them. Trying to google but nothing suggesting he did is coming up. Open to correction of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

:)

Speaking of him, I see he started in midfield for Bayern against Arsenal last night.

Im pretty sure he has made the switch to Ireland and as such cant switch back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

He's still eligible

https://www.the42.ie/ryan-johansson-bayern-munich-4729324-Jul2019/

Dan Crowley to Birmingham is official, a move that screams I'm moving to England so I might get picked for the Irish squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Dan Crowley to Birmingham is official, a move that screams I'm moving to England so I might get picked for the Irish squad.

No it doesn't. He might well play regularly for Birmingham twoards the bottom of the Championship and not get near an Ireland squad and/or not be any closer to a cap then he was in Holland.

Seems to me like he wants to be near home. He came up through the Villa academy and grew up in the area.

Some are behaving like he turned down the captaincy and Champions League football at Ajax to play for Birmingham. When the reality is Birmingham looks like the best option that was on the table from a personal and professional perspective. Even with the risk involved in joining them.
    Willem will be quite happy with €800,000 for a player that's pretty replaceable.

This will be a big test. Hopefully we can make it competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Any notable absentees for France or are they close to fully loaded?

• Advertisement

Saliba's not involved, who is currently in a tug of war between Spurs and Arsenal.

Looks a good French side all the same and we're fortunate not to behind. Maher with a nice stop before the break.

https://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/status/1151912570430742528

I'd take the 0-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

They're hanging in there, they might spring something on a break!!

France's Charles Abi looks a quality prospect. Causing us lots of problems when he gets on the ball.

Czech Republic and Norway drew their game, a point against one of the favourites would set us up nicely going into the third game. Would also mean that France would have to take the game against Norway serious because they're not guaranteed top spot in the group.

Afolabi so close!

We get a corner out of it. Must have been a great save.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement