Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

clsmooth wrote: »
    Dan Crowley vs Jack Byrne:

Who’ll have the more successful international career?? Might be interesting reading in 5 years so think carefully before answering :D

Hard call. It's crazy cause they're carbon copies of each other in relation to their strengths.

The next year is crucial for both players at club level. Especially Byrne's next move after rovers.

If I hazard a guess... neither player is starting for Ireland this time 2 years... Hopefully because there's a number 10 that's performing better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

sugarman wrote: »
    Looks like Ciaran Clark could on his way to Palace for £5m, wouldnt be a bad move at all.

Palace really are shopping at the bargain basement for a team that got 50 million for a right back.

Might be a decent move for Clark, in the short term while they are short at the back with injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Troy Parrott coming on for Harry Kane against Real Madrid for the last 25 minutes.

Game live on ITV4 right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Seán McDermott is on the goal for Kristiansund against United. First time actually seeing him play. Keeping a clean sheet for the time being but United haven’t been hitting the target much in fairness, seems to have a good defence in front of him.

Edit: I take that back, he’s made a couple of fantastic saves in the last few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

if he remained an England player it'd be a few more!

He counts as home grown anyway so it's great value for money I'd say an Palace are being really smart with their money it seems.

Parrott hits the post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Well hes pretty much their standard of player, like it is Palace after all! Theyre a team that battles relegation every season. Theyre never going to break the bank spending big on any player. The AWB and Zaha money will probably be used towards their stadium.

Clark is a decent lad, probably even a small improvement on what they have. Has played all put 1 season of his career in the PL for similar teams. A regular International. Only turning 30. Can played CB & LB. £5m is good value, if he remained an England player it'd be a few more!

Sakho and Tomkins will be first choice for Palace, Clarke will be swapping one bench for another imo but it's a good bit of business for Palace. When you see Villa spending over £20m for Tyrone Ming's and talks of Brighton spending over £20m for Bristol City's Adam Webster then £5m for Ciaran Clarke is a steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Hard call. It's crazy cause they're carbon copies of each other in relation to their strengths.

The next year is crucial for both players at club level. Especially Byrne's next move after rovers.

If I hazard a guess... neither player is starting for Ireland this time 2 years... Hopefully because there's a number 10 that's performing better.

Depending on his progress at Spurs I think Troy Parrott will be our long term number 10, that will take more than 2 years though unless Kenny wants to make some big calls and bring one or two of our top youth prospects into the senior team straight away.

He's played the role well at underage level with Idah being our main striker and Parrott playing behind him as the number 10. But unlike senior level our underage teams are actually good and can afford to play with a number 10 like Parrott against most the teams where as at senior level we'll probably need someone like a Crowley, Byrne or Browne who can play the ten role but also drop deeper when playing five in midfield against the better teams.

Jonathan Afolabi named in UEFA's U-19 Team of the Tournament:

https://twitter.com/UEFAcom/status/1156251280932823040

Well deserved. Someone sign this lad up already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sheffield United closing in on another striker :O

I hope Robinson will get chances not just stuck on the bench/in the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

interesting to see Crowley mentioned as one to watch this season by Guardian. Hope he does well but think Birmingham will struggle this year

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/31/championship-2019-20-season-preview-fulham-leeds-cardiff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Doubt we will see Luca Connell in the upcoming squad if hes not playing many first team games atm

Parrott prob the most likely to get a call up if he appears in the PL in August

Any other of the young guys might get called up for the seniors ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Doubt we will see Luca Connell in the upcoming squad if hes not playing many first team games atm

Parrott prob the most likely to get a call up if he appears in the PL in August

Any other of the young guys might get called up for the seniors ?

Like connell, I think Mick will want to see Parrott in the flesh. And I don't think he is going to wait around for a few more months.

Getting selected for a Tottenham panel (pre-season are not) is a far bigger achievement than getting into an Ireland squad. Mick might write it off in public but I'm sure he gets plenty of validation from poch's confidence in Troy.

It just makes Mick's decision far easier.

Realistically Hogan's place in the squad has to be at risk if he doesn't start scoring goals...or even getting a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Johansson starts in midfield for Bayern v Spurs, Parrot on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

was there an ever an idea of an Irish Premiership team ??

All the best players in the league of Ireland playing at home in the Aviva every 2 weeks (sure they could have some sort of agreement to play away when the rugby is on)

• Advertisement

All the best players in the league of Ireland playing at home in the Aviva every 2 weeks (sure they could have some sort of agreement to play away when the rugby is on)

https://www.balls.ie/football/balls-remembers-complete-story-wimbledon-almost-came-dublin-135956

Never ever want to see anything remotely like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

How about the powers that be actually invested in the LoI and proper youth development.

Dublin is a wealthy city in a soccer mad country with a comparable population to Barcelona, Milan and Munich but has nothing there in terms of a big time soccer.

If a European Super league is ever founded then Dublin will come into focus as a possible team location.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Dublin is a wealthy city in a soccer mad country with a comparable population to Barcelona, Milan and Munich but has nothing there in terms of a big time soccer.

If a European Super league is ever founded then Dublin will come into focus as a possible team location.

Ireland is not a 'soccer mad country' - if it was our league would be better supported by the public.

The Irish public are bandwagoners of the highest order.

• Advertisement

We're obviously not "soccer mad" look at the attendances our teams get as is, we're the exact opposite. Just a bunch of event junkies. The novelty would wear off and attendances would drop like a stone and all we'd have to show for it is the final nail in the coffin for the LOI

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    Ireland is not a 'soccer mad country' - if it was our league would be better supported by the public.

Mad for English and Scottish soccer surely? They don’t follow domestic competition.

If we have a team in the European Super league then it’ll be English, Spanish teams coming here and very different to rovers vs bohs.

All pie in the sky of course but I think the market is there. Maybe some disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Dublin is a wealthy city in a soccer mad country with a comparable population to Barcelona, Milan
    Not.
    I don't get it. Form a club from scratch and let them join the super league? That's not going to be allowed to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not to be too pedantic about it, but all of those cities you mentioned are far bigger than Dublin.

Metro Dublin - 1.3 million.
    Metro Barcelona - 5.4 million
    Metro Milan - 8 million
    Metro Munich - 5.9 million

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Not.

I don't get it. Form a club from scratch and let them join the super league? That's not going to be allowed to happen.

You might be right. But if there’s money and a market in it then I wouldn’t totally discount it.

Arghus wrote: »
    Not to be too pedantic about it, but all of those cities you mentioned are far bigger than Dublin.

Metro Dublin - 1.3 million.
    Metro Barcelona - 5.4 million
    Metro Milan - 8 million
    Metro Munich - 5.9 million

You type population of Barcelona into google and you get 1.615 million. Dublin metro area is county Dublin. You’d be leaving out a lot of catchment area by that measure. You think people won’t travel from further than county Dublin to see action involving top European teams? Same for Barcelona these days in fairness. Half the crowd probably don’t live from Barcelona. Buses and buses everywhere and tourists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Not.

It's been tried before.
    Dublin City were formed and joined the League of Ireland around the early 00s because the crowd behind them reckoned a European Super League was imminent and a team named Dublin City would be a shoe in.
    It wasn't and they went belly up.

It's been tried before.
    Dublin City were formed and joined the League of Ireland around the early 00s because the crowd behind them reckoned a European Super League was imminent and a team named Dublin City would be a shoe in.
    It wasn't and they went belly up.

Sure that’s no comparison. Was that even the model they followed? To get into a super league?

A Dublin super league team would have to have serious money behind them and rent the Aviva or Croke Park. I don’t even remember where Dublin city played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr.Maroon wrote: »

We're definitely soccer mad.

Hugely popular sport here played at all levels.

A few bums missing off LOI seats doesn't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Sure that’s no comparison. Was that even the model they followed? To get into a super league?

A Dublin super league team would have to have serious money behind them and rent the Aviva or Croke Park. I don’t even remember where Dublin city played.

croke park wouldnt be used and that is for sure.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    croke park wouldnt be used and that is for sure.

Probably not. Aviva maybe but the rugby calendar would present a problem.

noodler wrote: »
    We're definitely soccer mad.

Hugely popular sport here played at all levels.

A few bums missing off LOI seats doesn't change that.

We're "football mad" in the most convenient way possible, in that it just takes a few quid we don't have to get off our holes and actually do anything.

The numbers of people that go over to watch games is huge compared to our own league but in terms of the Aviva, it doesn't even fill Lansdowne 3 times. We're lazy ****s that only like being at events and most of that is to be able to say we we're there.

As for a ground, Croker? Yeah no not happening. Lansdowne? Look what happened to Wembleys pitch, no chance.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    We're "football mad" in the most convenient way possible, in that it just takes a few quid we don't have to get off our holes and actually do anything.

The numbers of people that go over to watch games is huge compared to our own league but in terms of the Aviva, it doesn't even fill Lansdowne 3 times. We're lazy ****s that only like being at events and most of that is to be able to say we we're there.

As for a ground, Croker? Yeah no not happening. Lansdowne? Look what happened to Wembleys pitch, no chance.

Nah, that's just repressed LoI shoulder chips.

The game is played at all levels, most popular played sport in the country.

Massive EPL following or course and a **** ton of daytrippers to England or Scotland to watch.

It mightn't be football mad in the way you like but it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Massive EPL following or course and a **** ton of daytrippers to England or Scotland to watch.

That’s actually a very good argument.

Maybe without the first line :pac

Playing football doesn't make you football mad. I've played with people that wouldnt know half the Irish team and don't care about football other than playing with their mates on the weekend.

120,000 people go to Britain a year to watch games, a lot but not enough to support a club.

If you claim to be football mad and don't even attempt to attend games, especially when you can watch Jack Byrne for 15 quid, I've bad news you're not football mad. You might like football but you're not football mad and you're unlikely to pay considerably more to watch either a team of mercenaries or a team getting pumped every week.

Playing football doesn't make you football mad. I've played with people that wouldnt know half the Irish team and don't care about football other than playing with their mates on the weekend.

120,000 people go to Britain a year to watch games, a lot but not enough to support a club.

If you claim to be football mad and don't even attempt to attend games, especially when you can watch Jack Byrne for 15 quid, I've bad news you're not football mad. You might like football but you're not football mad and you're unlikely to pay considerably more to watch either a team of mercenaries or a team getting pumped every week.

Jack Byrne for 15 quid and the time and travel expenses. I’ve seen better deals. He’s the best player in the league but he’s not banging in hatters or even goals every week or anything. I think that’s a pretty high bar of being football mad.

A lot of men you talk to abroad don’t support a football team. Most men in this country do. That’s a far simplier metric of whether a country is football mad.

Jack Byrne for 15 quid and the time and travel expenses. I’ve seen better deals. He’s the best player in the league but he’s not banging in hatters or even goals every week or anything. I think that’s a pretty high bar of being football mad.

A lot of men you talk to abroad don’t support a football team. Most men in this country do. That’s a far simplier metric of whether a country is football mad.

You don't measure players like Jack Byrne by goals, or do you also think Xavi wouldn't be worth it, or numerous other creative midfielders. Attending games isn't a high bar at all to consider yourself football mad, in this country nobody is ever really much of a trek to games and it's really really cheap. I'd pay multiples of 15quid to watch Jack Byrne, and some day people will have to do that.

No most people here know a teams players and have a jersey, there's a difference. The amount of "fans" in this country that don't even know when or who their team are playing is ridiculous.

You don't measure players like Jack Byrne by goals, or do you also think Xavi wouldn't be worth it, or numerous other creative midfielders. Attending games isn't a high bar at all to consider yourself football mad, in this country nobody is ever really much of a trek to games and it's really really cheap. I'd pay multiples of 15quid to watch Jack Byrne, and some day people will have to do that.

No most people here know a teams players and have a jersey, there's a difference. The amount of "fans" in this country that don't even know when or who their team are playing is ridiculous.

Ok, I don’t think you’re for turning.

I think Irish men are very into their football compared to other nationalities and ultimately would financially support top level elite football in a good stadium in Dublin if it ever comes to pass.

Ok, I don’t think you’re not for turning.

I think Irish men are very into their football compared to other nationalities and ultimately would financially support top level elite football in a good stadium in Dublin if it ever comes to pass.

One, that's very sexist to limit it to men. Two these football mad people you're talking about not only allowed Delaney to stay in power for so long but actually helped him so as far as I'm concerned QED.

• Advertisement

One, that's very sexist to limit it to men. Two these football mad people you're talking about not only allowed Delaney to stay in power for so long but actually helped him so as far as I'm concerned QED.

Ok, duly noted but I do notice significant more irish men are into football than women.

I don’t know what’s to say about the second point. It’s not like the country goes to the ballot boxes and votes for John Delaney. He was appointed by the FaI board and answerable to FAI delegates. I don’t see how that has anything to do with the current discussion at all. I don’t even want you to try and explain it to be honest as I don’t really believe a connection exists. The average Irish football fan hated Delaney. Even barstoolers

Ok, duly noted but I do notice significant more irish men are into football than women.

I don’t know what’s to say about the second point. It’s not like the country goes to the ballot boxes and votes for John Delaney. He was appointed by the FaI board and answerable to FAI delegates. I don’t see how that has anything to do with the current discussion at all. I don’t even want you to try and explain it to be honest as I don’t really believe a connection exists. The average Irish football fan hated Delaney. Even barstoolers

https://youtu.be/affbvK4UZgc

Not a one off event

https://youtu.be/affbvK4UZgc

Not a one off event

This is all fairly tangential to the discussion being had. The mob is the mob.

This is all fairly tangential to the discussion being had. The mob is the mob.

It's a group of Irish football "fans" praising Delaney and telling the LOI fan giving out to him to **** off. Literally blows your idea out of the water.

It's a group of Irish football "fans" praising Delaney and telling the LOI fan giving out to him to **** off. Literally blows your idea out of the water.

Go on, type QED again.

A video of a few drunks acting like **** blows my idea that if a European Super league club played in the Aviva that it would sell tickets.

I don’t know. This has all gone a bit strange.

• Advertisement

A video of a few drunks acting like **** blows my idea that if a European Super league club played in the Aviva that it would sell tickets.

I don’t know. This has all gone a bit strange.

Blows your idea that the average fan thought he was a **** out of the water. Go back a year and there were very few non LOI people calling for his head.

Blows your idea that the average fan thought he was a **** out of the water. Go back a year and there were very few non LOI people calling for his head.

Grand.

So about Dublin and it’s suitability to a team located there that would be part of a bigger league than LOI....

Grand.

So about Dublin and it’s suitability to a team located there that would be part of a bigger league than LOI....

We're event junkies simple as, as soon as the novelty wore off attendances would plummet and the team would go bust, if attendances would even take off. Unless the team were an instant top 5 team the glory hunters you call football mad folk wouldn't change team, there'd be absolutely no attraction to the team it'd be completely soulless and would die off in no time. And that's ignoring the fact there's nowhere to play, no sign of where the money would come from. Its a non starter and thank **** its a non starter

We're event junkies simple as, as soon as the novelty wore off attendances would plummet and the team would go bust, if attendances would even take off. Unless the team were an instant top 5 team the glory hunters you call football mad folk wouldn't change team, there'd be absolutely no attraction to the team it'd be completely soulless and would die off in no time. And that's ignoring the fact there's nowhere to play, no sign of where the money would come from. Its a non starter and thank **** its a non starter

Did it hurt when you jumped the fence?

It would be a plastic club but it wouldn’t be that strange an idea in NFL etc where teams move around cities in the form of franchises.

Not a model soccer currently follows but 20-30 years from now I wouldn’t rule it out at all. Business follows the market.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement