Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Gavin Kilkenny scores for Bournemouth. A new name. Had never heard of him up until a week or so ago but will pick up league minutes this season to be sure.

He played a few underage games for us last year or 2.Maybe U17 or 18.Be great if he became a regular in their squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Gavin Kilkenny scores for Bournemouth. A new name. Had never heard of him up until a week or so ago but will pick up league minutes this season to be sure.

Eddie Howe is a big big fan of Kilkenny and I agree, can see him picking up some minutes this season. Not a bad club to be at given the style of football Howe likes to play.

Jason Knight at Derby is another lad to keep an eye on. Lampard was a big fan of his, had him in the match day squads for the play off games against Leeds and Villa. Cocu has given him plenty of minutes with the seniors this pre season so be interesting to see how he gets on this season.

sugarman wrote: »

Lovely finish by Kilkenny, did well to create the space to get his shot off and then hit it across the keeper. Also did well for the first goal winning the ball on the half way line. With Brooks and Gosling both out for 3 months he could find himself in the match day squad next week.

Hourihane is so good at set pieces, if Brady even comes within ten feet of any free kicks or corners Ireland get then he should be subbed off ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The national soccer exhibition is in Waterford now. Went there today and really enjoyed it. Shocked no mention of Roy but it's mainly Euros stuff so he would not of been involved much bar the 2016 finals

That Brady goal still gives me goosebumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Adam Idah scored a hat-trick for the Norwich u23’s on Saturday in Holland. The third was a fine goal.

https://twitter.com/norwichcityacad/status/1157939396148154368?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

sugarman wrote:
    I see Mignolet has left Liverpool, could be a good chance for Kelleher to break into the side as No.2 over the course of the season given both Karius and Grabara both out on season long loans.

sugarman wrote:
    It's just such a pity it comes at a time where he's out injured at the moment having had surgery on a broken wrist.

sugarman wrote:
    They'll almost definitely sign a backup before the windows closed, but once Kelleher regains fitness he should be able to challenge.

Looks like they're signing Adrian as No 2. Thought he'd be out on loan this year, another year at 3rd choice isnt much good

Ryan Nolan is after accepting a move to Leeds. Deal almost finalised. The Championship will be a great test for him.

https://twitter.com/nicoschira/status/1158365848316403713?s=21

Ryan Nolan is after accepting a move to Leeds. Deal almost finalised. The Championship will be a great test for him.

https://twitter.com/nicoschira/status/1158365848316403713?s=21

Yeah he needed to get out of Inter, pity he felt like he needed to move to England to be noticed by Irish coaches.

See some murmurs that Charlton Athletic are interested in taking Troy Parrott on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looking like the Championship will be required viewing this season with the amount of Irish players involved.

An English journalist is baffled how an Irish lad could be signed by a club outside England.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/796352/Leeds-Inter-Milan-Ryan-Nolan-transfer-latest/amp?__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

'Ow as a potato-munching Paddy ended up at one of Europe's biggest clubs!?

Came on in 88th minute tonight to help them hold onto their 2-1 lead away to Huddersfield.

Some 12 months for Knight. This time last year he was playing with Derbys U18s, to making the match day squad for the play off final and then making his debut last night.

Portsmouth and Birmingham are live tonight in the league cup, going by Brummie fans comments they're well impressed by Crowley. Mick has said he'll be at tonight's game so hopefully he can impress him before next month's games.

Good move, should see plenty of game time with his brother in law in charge!

Hopefully and here's to Cullen and McCarthy getting moves for first team football because our options in midfield, more so defensive midfielders are non existent. Glenn Whelan is probably odds on to start against Switzerland and he hasn't even got a club yet. Has he even trained or played with any clubs over the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Hopefully and here's to Cullen and McCarthy getting moves for first team football because our options in midfield, more so defensive midfielders are non existent. Glenn Whelan is probably odds on to start against Switzerland and he hasn't even got a club yet. Has he even trained or played with any clubs over the summer?

Lots of talk that he'll move to Hearts

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/glenn-whelan-is-close-to-signing-for-hearts-with-the-help-of-fellow-dubliner-38376414.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

EFL cup between Birmingham and Portsmouth might be worth a watch tonight, Crowley, Curtis and new recrut Harness all start.

Ryan Burke on the bench too I think

Some real competition for Seamus Coleman here.
    Looks like Everton have signed Djibril Sidibé on loan with an option to buy.

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/11671/11778995/everton-agree-loan-deal-for-monaco-defender-djibril-sidibe

A very solid RB, was part of the French World Cup winning squad last year and was also in the Monaco side that reached the Champs League semi finals in 2017.

Hopefully he'll get his fair share of games (has some competition though, Palace have a few decent midfielders)

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1158838448721145858

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Hopefully he'll get his fair share of games (has some competition though, Palace have a few decent midfielders)

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1158838448721145858

Hopefully he can put his injury issues behind him and get back to playing regular football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He’s still only 28 and in what should be now the peak of his career. As an Ireland fan this isn’t a good move. Taking into account his ability and his good attitude I’d be of the mind that McCarthy should be considered a big asset to a club like Everton, the right side of thirty and not pushing it quite yet so another four years at the peak of his powers...so what gives ? Well I’m just thinking that maybe they are not happy with him spending so much time on the treatment table and 17 Premier League appearances in three seasons ? well you wouldn’t blame them really. If I’m the manager I’d sure be appreciative of his ability but if he can’t stay fit to utilize his talents on the pitch bar a handful of appearances in a season ? his wages are not money well spent...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Not if he continues his form from the second half of last season he won't!

I wouldn't be too concerned anyway if Coleman did happen to lose his place it may be Doherty's chance to shine.

Have to say to me Coleman is the most underrated player I’ve ever seen in near 30 years supporting ireland. Best defender, best attacker along with Shane Duffy’s head. He is at worst above average in every game. Inspiring captain. And last season fans were queuing up to consign him to the scrap heap. Not much more annoys me in Irish sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Strumms wrote: »
    He’s still only 28 and in what should be now the peak of his career. As an Ireland fan this isn’t a good move. Taking into account his ability and his good attitude I’d be of the mind that McCarthy should be considered a big asset to a club like Everton, the right side of thirty and not pushing it quite yet so another four years at the peak of his powers...so what gives ? Well I’m just thinking that maybe they are not happy with him spending so much time on the treatment table and 17 Premier League appearances in three seasons ? well you wouldn’t blame them really. If I’m the manager I’d sure be appreciative of his ability but if he can’t stay fit to utilize his talents on the pitch bar a handful of appearances in a season ? his wages are not money well spent...

Bizarre.

He's been a non-event for Everton for a few years now due to injury.

No mystery whatsoever.

Should be delighted he got another EPL club imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah I was convinced McCarthy would have to move down to the Championship considering how little games he has played in the past few years. Hopefully he can hit the ground running at Palace, he has been injury free since Februray roughly so he should be fully fit and challenging for a starting spot. Has a good bit of competition there though is the only thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Wes off to Oz to join Newcastle Jets

Have to say to me Coleman is the most underrated player I’ve ever seen in near 30 years supporting ireland. Best defender, best attacker along with Shane Duffy’s head. He is at worst above average in every game. Inspiring captain. And last season fans were queuing up to consign him to the scrap heap. Not much more annoys me in Irish sport.

I'd say Denis Irwin just edges him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

He was good but has declined alarmingly for Ireland I know we're fairly crap but as captain his performances for us have been sub standard. He finished off the year well with Everton would like to see that form in an ireland shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Good move for mccarthy and Everton he's always injured they have lost patience with him. Hopefully form will return and injury free

I wouldn’t, Irwin was rated very highly in Ireland. Besides Irwin played in an era where FBs weren’t expected to attack much. The present era is entirely different. Coleman bombs down the touch line in every game he plays apart from when Ireland are playing a Belgium etc. Irwin never did that much. Not that I remember anyway.

As for Coleman vs Doherty. Some people aren’t going to like this but Doherty is overweight for an elite footballer. He’s 86.5kg and he’s 5 ft 10.

That’s puts him as overweight in just being a human being never mind as a footballer. I’d give him the left back slot but people need to consider more than he got a load of goals and assists as a wing back last season. The game and the sports science analysis that goes into it is way more complicated than that.

I wouldn’t, Irwin was rated very highly in Ireland. Besides Irwin played in an era where FBs weren’t expected to attack much. The present era is entirely different. Coleman bombs down the touch line in every game he plays apart from when Ireland are playing a Belgium etc. Irwin never did that much. Not that I remember anyway.

He wasn't particularly highly rated in Ireland - McCarthy famously asked him to 'prove himself' back during the 98 World Cup qualifiers. He was brilliant at set pieces and two-footed: Cantona's line about him in the film 'Looking for Eric': that his best moment was his pass to Irwin against Spurs said it all about him as a player.

• Advertisement

As for Coleman vs Doherty. Some people aren’t going to like this but Doherty is overweight for an elite footballer. He’s 86.5kg and he’s 5 ft 10.

That’s puts him as overweight in just being a human being never mind as a footballer. I’d give him the left back slot but people need to consider more than he got a load of goals and assists as a wing back last season. The game and the sports science analysis that goes into it is way more complicated than that.

Unless he's not finishing matches or getting done for pace all the time he's not overweight and neither of them are true and he's in a very physically demanding position so you can't call him overweight in any respect of the word.

The wolves site has him as 89kg and 6'1 which is comparable to Diarmuid Connolly who is anything but overweight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Unless he's not finishing matches or getting done for pace all the time he's not overweight and neither of them are true and he's in a very physically demanding position so you can't call him overweight in any respect of the word.

The wolves site has him as 89kg and 6'1 which is comparable to Diarmuid Connolly who is anything but overweight.
    The lad is genuinely big boned .

I , on the other hand have heavy bones and am carrying a lot of timber :P

You can't use BMI for professional athletes. Heck BMI at times can be inaccurate for non
    professional athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

BMI is extremely outdated at this stage. Wolves will be tracking Doherty's GPS stats for every training and game so I doubt his weight is a problem.

https://www.balls.ie/football/matt-doherty-diet-change-wolves-399900

Its something he has worked on the last number of years anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d loved to have seen Coleman in the Ireland teams that Irwin played in, Denis LB and Seamus on the right. not as good a defender quite but his attacking pace and guile coupled with his defensive stability would have complimented that mid to late 90’s team nicely.

Talk that Josh Cullen is heading back to Charlton on loan or a permanent move as his contract is up next summer.
    Zico ! wrote: »
    Good move for mccarthy and Everton he's always injured they have lost patience with him. Hopefully form will return and injury free

I think he'll struggle to get his game time at Palace and was signed more as back up rather than a starter.

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    BMI is extremely outdated at this stage. Wolves will be tracking Doherty's GPS stats for every training and game so I doubt his weight is a problem.

https://www.balls.ie/football/matt-doherty-diet-change-wolves-399900

Its something he has worked on the last number of years anyway.

Whether he’s overweight or not he’s noticeably heavier than most players his height in the PL.

He’s carrying about 6 excess kilos around with him at all times that would give him an extra edge if he lost them.

Whether he’s overweight or not he’s noticeably heavier than most players his height in the PL.

He’s carrying about 6 excess kilos around with him at all times that would give him an extra edge if he lost them.

You have absolutely no idea how much "excess" weight he is carrying.

You have absolutely no idea how much "excess" weight he is carrying.

Thank god someone said it.

If I was a premier league footballer I wouldn’t be turning up with inferior body metric stats compared to everyone else in my position and my teammates.

Anyway just my opinion.

If I was a premier league footballer I wouldn’t be turning up with inferior body metric stats compared to everyone else in my position and my teammates.

Anyway just my opinion.

You're a hoot.

• Advertisement

Doherty ; He’s no Jan Molby ......

noodler wrote: »
    You're a hoot.

Not much of an argument. Some footballers are heavier than their optimum athletic weight. There’s the Higuains and Luke Shaw’s who are visibly bulky. Maybe Doherty’s at his peak condition but his biometrics compared to his rivals are inferior.

Not much of an argument. Some footballers are heavier than their optimum athletic weight. There’s the Higuains and Luke Shaw’s who are visibly bulky. Maybe Doherty’s at his peak condition but his biometrics compared to his rivals are inferior.

Please shut the **** up. You have no ****ing clue if his biometrics are "inferior". You're basing everything you're saying off some numbers that are dodgy at best. You haven't the slightest clue about his physical makeup nevermind the fact you probably haven't the slightest clue about sports science so even if you did know them your conclusions would be complete guesswork. So again please just shut up about stuff you have no idea about and stop talking out your hole.

Please shut the **** up. You have no ****ing clue if his biometrics are "inferior". You're basing everything you're saying off some numbers that are dodgy at best. You haven't the slightest clue about his physical makeup nevermind the fact you probably haven't the slightest clue about sports science so even if you did know them your conclusions would be complete guesswork. So again please just shut up about stuff you have no idea about and stop talking out your hole.

I’m basing it off his own stated weight of 86.5 kgs. And relax please.

Yeah no disrespect to Dots but I'm sure the sports scientists who are paid thousands by Wolves would be more clued up on Doherty than lads trying to guess by his weight and height. Especially when stats for height and weight are dodgy at best since you said he was 5'10 but Wolves list him as 6'1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He's no Akinfenwa anyway thats a certainty

200px-Adebayo_Akinfenwa_2015_%28cropped%29.jpg

pjohnson wrote: »
    He's no Akinfenwa anyway thats a certainty

200px-Adebayo_Akinfenwa_2015_%28cropped%29.jpg
    He’s just a lot short for his weight . Like myself .

He'd be mad to go to Moscow, unless he want to listen to constant monkey chants and have bananas thrown at him.

Wouldn't see him getting much of a look in at Wolves or Palace. Stoke probably wouldn't be a bad move.

Yeah he'd have a better chance of breaking into the first team at Stoke but they seem to be stuck in a rot ATM. There style of play is non existent and will probably be battling it out in the bottom half of the championship for awhile.

Working with Nuno at Wolves and the style of play there would be great for Afolabi, he can play as the main striker or out wide and Nuno likes to play with width.

Chances at Wolves could be very limited seeing as they've rich owners and super agent Jorge Mendes is involved but Nuno strikes me as a manager who'll give someone a chance if they suit his system. The likes of Matt Doherty, Conor Cody and Ryan Bennett have thived under Nuno and remained first team starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sidibe deal confirmed. Doherty be delighted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement