Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Cullen gone back to Charlton on loan and Hogan gone to Stoke on loan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I'd say Denis Irwin just edges him out.

I wouldn’t, Irwin was rated very highly in Ireland. Besides Irwin played in an era where FBs weren’t expected to attack much. The present era is entirely different. Coleman bombs down the touch line in every game he plays apart from when Ireland are playing a Belgium etc. Irwin never did that much. Not that I remember anyway.

As for Coleman vs Doherty. Some people aren’t going to like this but Doherty is overweight for an elite footballer. He’s 86.5kg and he’s 5 ft 10.

That’s puts him as overweight in just being a human being never mind as a footballer. I’d give him the left back slot but people need to consider more than he got a load of goals and assists as a wing back last season. The game and the sports science analysis that goes into it is way more complicated than that.

Irwin never attacked much. I've heard it all now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any danger of him playing with another international side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sugarman wrote: »
    Nah, born and bred Tallaght head.. there was a good article on him on the42 a few weeks back discussing it.

EDIT: Here it is

https://www.the42.ie/jonathan-afolabi-interview-4698504-Jun2019/

Anyone that refers to their parents as ma and da ain't going anywhere.

Edit.. Ryan Nolan to Leeds on a three year deal seems to be sorted but nothing offically confirmed yet going on some reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Afolabi going to Russia would be brave but I can't imagine he'll go that route. Would be handy for watching him all the same as the Russian Premier Liga stream matches on their Youtube channel.

Celtic were rumoured to be interested in him last season. Surprised they aren't in the picture now he's a free agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Afolabi going to Russia would be brave but I can't imagine he'll go that route. Would be handy for watching him all the same as the Russian Premier Liga stream matches on their Youtube channel.

I hope they show under 21 Russian league games on YouTube aswell.

Lokomotiv are a CL team with a load of foreign stars. He wouldn’t be next to near starting or subbing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Russia would be a terrible move for him.
    Living in Moscow as 19 year old black man won't be easy - I certainly wouldn't fancy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Did Ryan Nolan move anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I was laughed at when I said Travers could be Bournemouth's number 1 this year....love to see it.

Nolan is meant to be moving to Leeds, hopefully it goes through before the deadline.

• Advertisement

I was laughed at when I said Travers could be Bournemouth's number 1 this year....love to see it.

Nolan is meant to be moving to Leeds, hopefully it goes through before the deadline.

Some of the talk around Nolan at the moment is confusing. Some are saying the Leeds deal is still on, others are saying it's off because Leeds were planning on loaning him out and others are saying he's staying at Inter but going on loan to Kilmarnock who apparently Leeds want to loan him too. So only God knows what's happening but the window for championship clubs closes tonight so Leeds will have to get the deal done today.
    Good news for Mark Travers, Howe has said Bournemouth are done in the Transfer window. He should easily be able to push Boruc and Begovic for #1.

Troy Parrott has also been given #18 squad number, so that's presumably him staying put.

He's also got Ramsdale to compete with whose got experience at League One and League Two.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

So only God knows what's happening but the window for championship clubs closes tonight so Leeds will have to get the deal done today.

The transfer window closed at 5pm for Championship clubs.

Nolan deal is off apparently.

https://twitter.com/McQueirns/status/1159493927407378433

Shame for the guy. Maybe it can be sorted in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If Parrott was given #18 it wasnt for long Lo Celso is #18 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fatt Doherty with a goal for Wolves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

PARlance wrote: »
    Did he Pound it in ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

Celtic were rumoured to be interested in him last season. Surprised they aren't in the picture now he's a free agent.

I am not aware of there ever been any real interest from Celtic in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Greg Cunningham gone to Blackburn on loan, strange one.
    Why so?
    He should play quite a few games, Amari bell played first match of this season for Blackburn and he isn't amazing especially defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

gmisk wrote: »
    Why so?
    He should play quite a few games, Amari bell played first match of this season for Blackburn and he isn't amazing especially defensively.

Poster probably thinks he’s above league1 standard.

mada82 wrote: »
    Er Blackburn are in the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

mada82 wrote: »

Blackburn are championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

My mistake. I thought they got relegated recently. I agree Cunningham is above league 1 standard too.

Just a bit of a sideways move, I thought he'd have stayed at Cardiff given he was getting more of a look in towards the end of last season and the fact they dropped down a division. Plus he's not much better than what Blackburn have anyway!
    He wasn't in Cardiff squad for their first game in championship and Bennett seems pretty nailed on to start in that position.
    I watch a lot of Blackburn he should be better than what we have tbh..he will have a lot of defending to do given it looks like Mulgrew has gone to Wigan

Just a bit of a sideways move, I thought he'd have stayed at Cardiff given he was getting more of a look in towards the end of last season and the fact they dropped down a division. Plus he's not much better than what Blackburn have anyway!

Cunningham played 7 league games last season with all but one of those games in 2018 and his last league game for Cardiff was 1/1/2019. Didn't play in the FA Cup so only has the one game for Cardiff in 2019.

It's a good move for Greg.
    He was in the Ireland squad in June and knows he needs to be playing regularly to stay in it.

I'd be surprised if he's not their first choice LB - probably bad news for Derrick Williams though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

Probably not significant but Troy Parrott has had his squad number bumped from 71 I think it was to 52. Still a few more numbers to climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

PARlance wrote: »

Is he gone a bit large or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Good article in the IT today about Irish players struggling to get game time in the Premier League.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/premier-class-irish-players-struggling-to-make-top-grade-1.3980944?mode=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Sean Maguire scores for Preston against Wigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Our old friend Grealish playing well

Sheffield United must be wanting to be the Irish premier league club ha

• Advertisement

From the highlights on MOTD - McGoldrick & Robinson seem to do well against Bournemouth.

Getting mins for some of our players is the main thing before the Swiss game

No doubt all the swiss team are getting game time

Maybe, the season hasn't started yet for most of them ..while the likes of Schar and Xhaka are facing each other on the field at the moment, Shaqiri and Drmic were both sat on the bench on Friday night.

Sure Lichsteiner and Djourou are still unattached at the moment too.

Not quite the marquee names in the Swiss squad and ticket sales will reflect that but I guess means nothing as this team is still good and could do damage to us

Looking forward to the game on the 5th sep. 4th Ireland game and the hoodoo was broken with us beating Georgia in March ha

Daryl Horgan got a goal against Rangers at Ibrox...

...in a 6-1 defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Our old friend Grealish playing well

is he still wearing his little shin guards -hope he has a crap season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

He was awful yesterday and ultimately cost Villa the game, was caught out fannying about on the ball too much.

In fairness he was pretty good until Hourihan went off and he didn't have anyone to do the dirty work for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He was good in the first half but it wouldn't have made a difference if Hourihane was on or off the field for the second goal, the whole team were back defending (as they should) pegged into the own box with Spurs on top.. Ball falls to Grealish on the edge of his area and he thinks he's the next Iniesta / Xavi / Busquets trying to play it out from the back instead of hoofing it t'**** and relieve the pressure ..he was then caught napping for the 3rd, didn't even bother to try track back.

I still think he's a good player and will do well by the way, I'm not bitter towards him or anything.. but he still has a long way to go if he's to become a premier league regular.

He lost the ball and got punished for it, thats all it is really. Happened to lots of other players this weekend, the only difference is their names weren't 'Grealish'. He'll be a premier league regular now that he's back in there, thats certain for anyone who has watched him.

Nathan Collins captaining Stoke tonight v Wigan in the EFL Cup.

Dara O'Shea starting for West Brom v Millwall where Jayson Molumby starts for them.

Connor Masterson on the Bench for QPR, Ryan Manning starts.

That's a big vote of confidence for Collins when you consider there's more experienced players starting who could have been named captain. Hopefully the lads put in some solid performances tonight as Mick is naming his squad this Friday and I'd say it could be a big enough extended squad given our second game is a friendly. Think Collins could be named in the squad for the Bulgaria game.

Nathan Collins captaining Stoke tonight v Wigan in the EFL Cup.

Dara O'Shea starting for West Brom v Millwall where Jayson Molumby starts for them.

Connor Masterson on the Bench for QPR, Ryan Manning starts.

Can add Jason Knight to the list as he starts for Derby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Redo91

Collins has scored!

5th Sep- Swiss (H)
    12th Oct- Georgia (A)
    15th Oct- Swiss (A)
    18th Nov- Denmark (H)

our final 4 games in this group stage and all very tough. We need at least 7 points from these games which might get us through. We might even not make the playoffs with the way the other groups are going.

A performance like the German game in 2015 will be needed for the Septembers game vs Switzerland. A defeat here will land us in deep **** esp with Denmarks good record in Dublin and Georgia owe us one over there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

PTH2009 wrote: »
    5th Sep- Swiss (H)
    12th Oct- Georgia (A)
    15th Oct- Swiss (A)
    18th Nov- Denmark (H)

our final 4 games in this group stage and all very tough. We need at least 7 points from these games which might get us through. We might even not make the playoffs with the way the other groups are going.

A performance like the German game in 2015 will be needed for the Septembers game vs Switzerland. A defeat here will land us in deep **** esp with Denmarks good record in Dublin and Georgia owe us one over there

But we owe Denmark one and Switzerland two, so hopefully it'll even out :D

Yeah big time, sure McClean is starting along side him at LB! I said it already, if theres anyone to be called up it'll probably be Collins, O'Shea or Molumby but I dont think any of them will be included as the u21s have a double header themselves and Mick will probably use the friendly to give fringe players a run out.

We do need at least one new young CB to come through though and its great to see that we've Collins, O'Shea and Masterson are pushing on now. No point having the likes of Kevin Long or Ciaran Clark in squads if theyre not playing regularly and Richie Keogh, while solid and reliable is getting starting to get on in years.

I thought the same when Kenny called up the five lads from the 19s to the 21s even though the 19s had three important games. Didn't do them any harm so don't think the 21s will miss Collins that much and he's actually yet to play a game for the 21s so I'd leave O'Shea and Masterson continue their partnership for the 21s and move Collins up to the seniors. Same way Travers will probably be in the seniors so Kelleher will start for the 21s.

As you said we could do with a young CB breaking into the team and I think Collins fits into that quality teeneger bracket whose in the first team squad at club level so should get pushed up to the seniors like Obafemi rather than Clark or Long who both haven't played competitively since January.

Now he'd be the only lad I'd call up from the 21s to play against Bulgaria because as you said there's fringe players who'll need a game and some lads have been unlucky not to play yet under Mick because of injuries like Browne, Obafemi and O'Dowda, then there's the likes of Cullen, Robinson, Egan and Matt Doherty. I'd like to see Travers and Manning possibly making their debuts against Bulgaria. We need to plan for life after Randolph so be good to see a younger keeper getting minutes and Manning has been playing well for QPR at LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth), Kieran O'Hara (Burton Albion, on loan from Manchester United)

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Shane Duffy (Brighton and Hove Albion), Richard Keogh (Derby County), John Egan (Sheffield United), Kevin Long (Burnley), Nathan Collins (Stoke City), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Greg Cunningham (Blackburn Rovers, on loan from Cardiff City), Cyrus Christie (Fulham), Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers), Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers). Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United)

Midfielders: Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Glenn Whelan (Heart of Midlothian), Josh Cullen (Charlton Athletic, on loan from West Ham United), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Robbie Brady (Burnley), Alan Browne (Preston North End), James McClean (Stoke City), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), James McCarthy (Crystal Palace), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers), Alan Judge (Ipswich Town), Harry Arter (Fulham, on loan from AFC Bournemouth), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth), Kieran Sadlier (Doncaster Rovers)

Forwards: Callum Robinson (Sheffield United), Scott Hogan (Stoke City, on loan from Aston Villa), Shane Long (Southampton), Michael Obafemi (Southampton), David McGoldrick (Sheffield United), James Collins (Luton Town), Aiden O'Brien (Millwall), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur), Sean Maguire (Preston North End)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Fairly comprehensive squad, hard to think of anyone who was unlucky to miss out? Dan Crowley probably the one that springs to mind. Good to see Parrott and Collins in there, hopefully they can impress in training.

• Advertisement

Fairly comprehensive squad, hard to think of anyone who was unlucky to miss out? Dan Crowley probably the one that springs to mind. Good to see Parrott and Collins in there, hopefully they can impress in training.

I assume his paperwork still must not have went through yet or Mick just doesn't fancy him as a player in his last few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The presence of Glenn Whelan really sums up our dire situation in midfield.

Glad to see Parrott and Obafemi though.

Pity Manning didn't get a call up. Has been impressive since moving to LB and Williams has been playing CB this year while Cunningham has played all of two games in 2019. Manning would always give you options in midfield if needs be.

https://twitter.com/McQueirns/status/1162384267546157057

Squad looking better all the time. Hopefully we're on an upwards cycle. Still a few promising talents to come in as well. Hope Alan Browne gets a chance to contribute as he seems to get injured at the worst time.

Troy Parrott is going up against Gavin Bazunu this evening as Spurs U-23s take on their Man City counterparts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

no luca o connell, i wonder why.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement