Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

It’s easy to laugh if we want but really we should be applauding him for his dedication and determination. It just goes to show how much of an honour it was for him to wear the green jersey.

I’d have one Paul McShane over a million Declan Rice’s or Jack Grealish’s, that’s for sure.

Ah not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

wadacrack wrote: »
    We have a habit of waiting too long to cap players. Enda Stevens only got capped in 2018 and had been improving very well at Portsmouth albeit in League one. Id bring in Manning asap. Can play LB and his versatility would be useful too. He was a very good players for us at U21 level too.

I’d love to see a load of new faces for the upcoming friendly.
    Let them play attacking football too and see what they can do.
    Fed up of the old tired football we play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Well we got as much Paul Mcshane as you’d want and very little Rice and Grealish so you can be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

sugarman wrote: »
    Left back is not a new position for him, he played there the second half of last season for QPR ..and he has filled in there a number of times the 2 seasons prior to that.

His good form at Rotherham is actually what led to him being recalled last season, so not sure what youre talking about there.

I dont think anyone was suggesting he walk into the squad and shift Stevens, but rather be in and around the squad as backup. Especially since Cunningham is the only other natural LB thats out long term and the only other options are to shoehorn Doherty or McClean in there.

..and if you didnt watch the Burnley game today, Brady was absoutely horrendous.. as in McClean level horrendous and was pulled off after the hour mark. Hes done at the top level. Hes out of contract in the summer and will be lucky to pick up a Championship club the way things are going for him. Neither of them belong anywhere near in the Ireland squad on current form.

That is disappointing to hear, had a quick look at one of the Burnley forums and they seemed to say he played fairly poorly and gave the ball away a lot, but in fairness they did say it was to be expected considering how little he has played. I really hope you are wrong about him being done at the top level, it would be a real shame, he hasn't been at his best for Ireland in about 3 years but always thought he would get back to a good level and be one of our main players. Sadly this seems to happen with a lot of our lads.

Manning I'd say will be waiting for the Kenny era to make his senior debut. If he gets a move to the Premier League then he might make the no.3 jersey his own but for now Stevens surely has it nailed down. I don't think there is a point in blooding too many new players in the New Zealand friendly, surely we should be looking at players who realistically could make an impact against Denmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Manning I'd say will be waiting for the Kenny era to make his senior debut. If he gets a move to the Premier League then he might make the no.3 jersey his own but for now Stevens surely has it nailed down. I don't think there is a point in blooding too many new players in the New Zealand friendly, surely we should be looking at players who realistically could make an impact against Denmark.

Playing New Zealand before Denmark is a bit of a pain, especially since Denmark is basically a cup final. Don't wanna risk players getting injured before we play Denmark.

If I had to guess a starting 11 and everyone was fit, be something like this;

Travers

Christie - Egan - Clarke - Williams

Cullen - Browne

O'Dowda - Judge - Connolly

Collins

Brady is back from a serious injury where he has missed almost a year. Lets give the guy a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Brady is back from a serious injury where he has missed almost a year. Lets give the guy a chance

Alot of bench time at Burnley since recovery though.

Arguably others with better claims. Hopefully he plays most games between now and the Play Off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Which injury is this, the hamstring injury that kept him out for three months last season?

I don’t believe Brady is of the standard required either.
    Tries his best but not good enough imo.

• Advertisement

Who is at the moment

Who is at the moment

Brady is a good passer in the main and good at set pieces. His defensive side is very much lacking imo.

Who is at the moment?
    Very few but that doesn’t mean that we stick with mediocrity. We should always be trying to find the right players. Friendliest coming up to try the new lads.
    Whelan has been our best midfielder by far. Doing his job. Hendrick has been poor. Hourihane has not done much. Mc Clean is a very limited player but gives his all, not good enough. Brown has not been given a lot of time as yet so the jury is still out on him. Judge I’m not sure about.
    On the left side I’d prefer O’ Dowda who is comfortable on the ball.
    Whelan will retire soon so Mc Carthy might step up. Jack Byrne should be given time too as he was good in the cameo we saw.

I can’t see us qualifying even in the playoffs unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is Nathan Collins injured at minute?

This article best sums it up at the moment.

https://t.co/FAy60SKIAR

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

One of the problems with Brady is he doesn't seem to have a position.
    Off the top of my head I can remember him playing LB, LM, RM, CM, No.10 for us through the years.
    His best performances for Ireland came in the Euro16 playing in a 3 man midfield with McCarthy & Hendrick.

I can't see where Mick would start him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    Off the top of my head I can remember him playing LB, LM, RM, CM, No.10 for us through the years.
    His best performances for Ireland came in the Euro16 playing in a 3 man midfield with McCarthy & Hendrick.

Good point Jack of all trades master of none. John O'Shea used to have the same problem where is his best position etc.
    Personally I would have Brady on LM instead of McClean and leave Brady there make that his position.
    LB is already covered by Stevens/Doherty

I think Brady would be good in a diamond 4-1-2-1-2 formation. On the Left of the mid two am not sure Ireland have the quality on the right mid though which is the problem. Hendrick has gone backwards.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Don’t see that as a problem. He’s a left mid. His crossing on his left foot is why he’s a pro. Would be playing for bray wanderers otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He was a good player a couple of years ago. Needs a run without injuries.

I'd probably find a way to work him into a 3 man midfield tbh if not lmf.

He has it in him to pick a chance creating pass.

That being said, all depends on him getting his place back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The other problem with Brady is he has awful delivery from set pieces. Decent set pieces is what made him one our of key players initially but now It's part of his game that has seriously regressed in recent years. Without good delivery, it seriously limits what he offers the team

siblers wrote: »
    The other problem with Brady is he has awful delivery from set pieces. Decent set pieces is what made him one our of key players initially but now It's part of his game that has seriously regressed in recent years. Without good delivery, it seriously limits what he offers the team

There hardly been enough observations in the last six playing months to make that judgement imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

siblers wrote: »
    noodler wrote: »
    There hardly been enough observations in the last six playing months to make that judgement imo.

I can see siblers point though Brady can be brilliant or brutal at set-pieces.
    You never know what you are going to get.
    Thankfully Hourihane is decent at them and he should get first go at them.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Its easy to believe that if Callum Robinson has a future as a winger for Ireland then Robbie Brady also has a future.Brady is a creative player and we really dont have the options to be picky. When he gets more games under his belt he will have to be considered.

I can see siblers point though Brady can be brilliant or brutal at set-pieces.
    You never know what you are going to get.
    Thankfully Hourihane is decent at them and he should get first go at them.

Mick doesnt care though. We had Glen taking the against the swiss ffs.

Its easy to believe that if Callum Robinson has a future as a winger for Ireland then Robbie Brady also has a future.Brady is a creative player and we really dont have the options to be picky. When he gets more games under his belt he will have to be considered.

I'm not sure about putting Robinson in that bracket, or at least some of the flak he's gettin.

Poor against Georgia.

I've generally been happy enough with him previously in terms of the very few Ireland performances he's had (not sure if there were any competitive starts?) And he's having a reasonable season at Sheffield by all accounts.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    He was a good player a couple of years ago. Needs a run without injuries.

Well he’s struggling now for sure even at club level. He may or may not improve. I’d have doubts myself.
    I always thought his defending and positional sense were poor.

Well he’s struggling now for sure even at club level. He may or may not improve. I’d have doubts myself.
    I always thought his defending and positional sense were poor.

As poor as McClean is the big question though. He's just not a defender though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Stoke have won their last 2, which were their first two league wins of the season and McClean played neither.

Not gone unnoticed by their fans either:

2 wins no McClean.
    It's not f*cking rocket science is it?
    Said the same, mate. It's no coincidence, is it?
    The fact we attempted to turn a poor LW into a poor LB was madness.

He's all heart and grit but he's barely any end product in his repertoire and he cannot defend to save his life.
    I think the last 2 wins are not coincidental. Leave Ince (no strength or end product) out and McClean (no quality) out and we win games. If he is tempted to put any of these two back in the starting 11 we will be a losing side again.

If Brady can get back to the level he was playing at for Norwich I think he would be one of our better players, technically he is a good player and he is a player who is not afraid to get on the ball but playing for Ireland and Burnley is probably not somewhere he will get on the ball a lot. His best position is a tricky one, he doesn't really have the pace to be a modern winger. I would love to see him get back to his best, he is one of my favourite Irish players.

Unfortunately you could probably say the same about a lot of our players though, Hendrick is definitely a better player than he has shown recently, McCarthy could get back to a decent level. It's all fantasy at the moment but hopefully one or two of them will get back to a good level at some point. Big big if, but if the 3 of those were to get back to the level they have performed at before it would go a hell of a long way to making our midfield look a lot better than the current mess it is.

If Brady can get back to the level he was playing at for Norwich I think he would be one of our better players, technically he is a good player and he is a player who is not afraid to get on the ball but playing for Ireland and Burnley is probably not somewhere he will get on the ball a lot. His best position is a tricky one, he doesn't really have the pace to be a modern winger. I would love to see him get back to his best, he is one of my favourite Irish players.

Unfortunately you could probably say the same about a lot of our players though, Hendrick is definitely a better player than he has shown recently, McCarthy could get back to a decent level. It's all fantasy at the moment but hopefully one or two of them will get back to a good level at some point. Big big if, but if the 3 of those were to get back to the level they have performed at before it would go a hell of a long way to making our midfield look a lot better than the current mess it is.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/1021/1084710-brady-over-the-moon-to-return-to-burnley-xi/

Hopefully he stays a PL player also. We need lads like Brady, coming into what should be his prime playing against the best week in , week out. I doubt Mick will pick him but it gives Kenny another options. You can never have to many options.

It's obvious that himself, Hendrick and McCarthy are all capable of performing better than they have been in and Irish shirt. I think a manager like Kenny will slot in nicely and help these players play to there strengths. If we are being honest a team where 9 or 10 of our players are playing PL football should be capable of qualifying for the Euros at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/1021/1084710-brady-over-the-moon-to-return-to-burnley-xi/

Hopefully he stays a PL player also. We need lads like Brady, coming into what should be his prime playing against the best week in , week out. I doubt Mick will pick him but it gives Kenny another options. You can never have to many options.

It's obvious that himself, Hendrick and McCarthy are all capable of performing better than they have been in and Irish shirt. I think a manager like Kenny will slot in nicely and help these players play to there strengths. If we are being honest a team where 9 or 10 of our players are playing PL football should be capable of qualifying for the Euros at least.

They should be. But they are essentially playing a man down due to Mick picking James McClean every game.

• Advertisement

They should be. But they are essentially playing a man down due to Mick picking James McClean every game.

Amongst others I totally agree.

I know Mick is only there for one campaign but his unwillingness to try other options when things are going so badly wrong highlights his weaknesses as a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I’d love to see a load of new faces for the upcoming friendly.
    Let them play attacking football too and see what they can do.
    Fed up of the old tired football we play.

I think we will need to wait for Kenny's first game in charge I feel for lots of new faces

I dont know... I dont think we'll see all that many to be honest, most of his 21s playing outside of Ireland are still playing reserve team football for their clubs.

Aside from Connolly, Molumby and Ronan are the only others playing regularly and are both out on loan.

Obafemi, Collins and Knight are in and around the first team having played some minutes.

While Kelleher, Travers, Idah, Parrott, Kilkenny, Coventry were given run outs in cup games but arent expected to play much more this season.

I'd have to agree. I do think though that Molumby is worth a place in the squad based on his season so far. Hopefully he makes the breakthrough at Brighton and gives us another PL midfield options. I think Coventry could also be worth a look at.

To my mind the one thing Kenny will do is get a lot of the current players playing a style of game that suits them but this will take a few games to implement. of course that doesn't mean we will win every game or qualify for every tournament but it should give us a better chance.

We are all very quick to criticise Hendrick, Hourihane and Browne but the ball for the last 10 years or so, since Trap, the ball has been sailing over the midfield. Usually when it is played into feet it's a miss hit clearance.

Yeah I can't see there being loads of new faces in Kennys first squad in September 2020. Molumby and Manning are the only two I can see definitely coming in straight away, obviously there will be others in contention depending on what happens for them at club level between now and then but I don't think it is going to be a cull of the current squad. Whelan is probably the only player who will be retiring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Yeah I can't see there being loads of new faces in Kennys first squad in September 2020. Molumby and Manning are the only two I can see definitely coming in straight away, obviously there will be others in contention depending on what happens for them at club level between now and then but I don't think it is going to be a cull of the current squad. Whelan is probably the only player who will be retiring.
    O’Neill and Keane tried retiring Whelan from Ireland . Now they are retired from Ireland and Whelan Wheels on .

We could have Dan Crowley and Paddy Bamford in the mix next year. Who knows...

Dots1982 wrote: »
    We could have Dan Crowley and Paddy Bamford in the mix next year. Who knows...

I don't know Dots. I wouldn't take Banford tbh. He has pretty much sh*t all over us.

As I said you can't have enough options but I wouldn't be selling out to the likes of him.

I don't know Dots. I wouldn't take Banford tbh. He has pretty much sh*t all over us.

As I said you can't have enough options but I wouldn't be selling out to the likes of him.

That’s fine until Kenny takes his first training session, looks at his striking options up close and exclaims “the horror, the horror...”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote: »
    That’s fine until Kenny takes his first training session, looks at his striking options up close and exclaims “the horror, the horror...”

Bamford wont make them look any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

pgj2015 wrote: »

The first Twitter comment there, saying they don't see what he offers...that's exactly why an opinion like that should be ignored. Yeah the lack of goals is infuriating, but his hold up play is excellent. For Leeds, they need to try 2 up top but Bielsa sticks to his ways.

Anyway, he shouldn't be considered for Ireland as it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think there was a good case for Molumby and Manning to be called up for the most recent squad and hopefully do get calls up for the next friendly at least.

Disappointing that Long and McCarthy were both unused subs at the weekend.Both of them getting regular games would be a good bonus for us.

Good to see McGoldrick making his return from injury tonight, he starts against Arsenal along with Egan and Stevens. Robinson on the bench.

I've only turned on the second half but quite pleased with what I've seen of him so far (bar the yellow for diving!)

Whatever chance we have against Denmark, it's increased 20% if he's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

John Egan Irelands best centre half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Losing Keogh has been no loss as first feared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I didnt fear it, I knew keogh was very average.

Well, we've lost a defender who had helped keep us unbeaten.

I don't see a need to make it a Keogh Vs Egan debate. Egan has done well and long may it continue. Biggest test will be next month.

We’ve only played one game without him yet. Chickens and counting.

Troy Parrott has scored 4 goals this afternoon for Spurs in the UEFA Youth League, coming into the last few minutes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Great to hear. The opposition are poor I'd imagine though.

I cant see Parrott being too far away from another first team appearance especially with the way spurs are at the moment

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement