Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

I agree it seems Mick prefers Mcoldrick for the holding up the ball give the lads a breather role now with Mcoldrick missing the last 2 games it was a no brainer for long to be recalled for this role as that's what he's good at doing -sh1te from Mick there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Connolly for brighton fouled. Var called in.Peno given. Playing really well.

Taken off then. Looked to be injured. Went over heavy on ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Connolly was poor he won't be starting for much longer. Thats the harsh reality of top flight Premier league football

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Coleman and Duffy not getting games witheirclubs. Robinson very poor today for Sheffield United. Egan, Stevens and McGoldrick all done well

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Connolly was poor he won't be starting for much longer. Thats the harsh reality of top flight Premier league football

I thought he done well. Won 2 frees to take pressure of defence and won the peno.

McGoldrick missed a guilt edged chance for Sheffield. You would expect a PL striker to be scoring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I’ve watched a few under 21 matches and molomby always impressed me. Hopefully he makes it.

Molumby is becoming a serious option for us at this rate. Especially with midfield being so chronic. I wouldnt be putting him into a team with whelan though. Give the lad a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I thought he done well. Won 2 frees to take pressure of defence and won the peno.

Have to agree ,though he did decent .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Molumby is becoming a serious option for us at this rate. Especially with midfield being so chronic. I wouldnt be putting him into a team with whelan though. Give the lad a hope.

Harsh on Whelan, he wasn't our worse player over the last 2 games.Ideally we would have someone better to pick but midfield options are piss poor atm.

Molumby is definitely one who should be getting a call up for the next squad.

Pleased for Brady and his late cameo off the bench with two assists in 5 minutes. First one was particularly good where he won back possession.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Harsh on Whelan, he wasn't our worse player over the last 2 games.Ideally we would have someone better to pick but midfield options are piss poor atm.

Molumby is definitely one who should be getting a call up for the next squad.

Was tongue in cheek on my part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Man of the Match :D

• Advertisement

Man of the Match :D

Alzate was.

Alzate was.

Oops - misread a tweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

The guy is 19 and started his first premier league game 3 weeks ago in which he scores 2 against spurs . Today he won a free and a pen in which you could say were 2 assists . He’s not gonna burn it up every week as he’s still learning . Not sure why your so fast to write him off .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

spurshero wrote: »
    The guy is 19 and started his first premier league game 3 weeks ago in which he scores 2 against spurs . Today he won a free and a pen in which you could say were 2 assists . He’s not gonna burn it up every week as he’s still learning . Not sure why your so fast to write him off .

Yep. He be expected score or assist in every game, otherwise he he just wont make it to some.

Thought Ciaran Clark played well against Wolves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Thought Ciaran Clark played well against Wolves.

It's good that one of our back ups is getting game time under his belt. Duffy is a yellow card away from being suspended, so there could be a chance that Clark might get a start during the play offs. Also Newcastle play with three CBs so it's also good that if we went three at the back he could slot in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Interesting to compare Doherty and Coleman on the Premier league’s brilliant stats website. Stats for this season has Coleman way ahead on 50/50s won, duels won and tackle success. Pretty equal on attacking input although Coleman is passing a hell of a lot more. Doherty is more disclipined.

A bit worrying to see doherty’s defensive stats being so low.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/4229/Matt-Doherty/stats?co=1&se=274

https://www.premierleague.com/players/3600/Seamus-Coleman/stats?co=1&se=274

Could see Mick trying out the 3-5-2 again against New Zealand. Especially if he references that Troy could start and Connolly playing up top again for Brighton.

See UEFA have changed the format for the Euro U19s to resemble the nation's league format at senior level.

https://twitter.com/UEFAcom/status/1188855819082895367

Victory Shield also started up this week in Wales. Our lads were beaten 4-0 by the Scots.

Indo reporting Brady to be recalled. Better option than McClean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Surely he'll be dropped for this? He's been dropped by Stoke now.

I say this more out of hope than expectation. :(

sugarman wrote: »
    I hope so but I've lost a lot of faith in Mick over his selection in the most recent games, particularly his inability to change things when needed. Its one thing making wrong calls in a team selection, but to then to show the stubbornness and unwillingness to make changes a game is crying out for is poor management. Hes become too loyal to certain players.

This for me too. Between McClean , Hendrick , Whelan and collins Mick refuses to change it up. Not having Long in the squad when Collins and Hogan are so poor is shocking. Especially with McGoldrick injured. I think Mick is probably past it at this rate and its showing.

Ah here surely Mcclean won't get into the 23 man squad? He's a bench player for Stoke, same with Hogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This for me too. Between McClean , Hendrick , Whelan and collins Mick refuses to change it up. Not having Long in the squad when Collins and Hogan are so poor is shocking. Especially with McGoldrick injured. I think Mick is probably past it at this rate and its showing.

At least he's back fit now... Long should still absolutely be in the squad ahead of those two lads anyway though.

Hoping we'll see Connolly left wing forward, McGoldrick centre, and then maybe Brady on the right. So we have Stevens and Doherty providing the width hugging the touchline, with Connolly and Brady coming inside naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Ah here surely Mcclean won't get into the 23 man squad? He's a bench player for Stoke, same with Hogan

He'll not only be in the 23, he'll be starting. "He always gives us something" were there words Mick used about him last month. What that something is is unknown to me. He should not be anywhere near the team.

Provisional Ireland squad v New Zealand and Denmark

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth), Kieran O’Hara (Burton Albion, on loan from Manchester United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool).

Defenders: Matt Doherty (Wolves), Cyrus Christie (Fulham), John Egan (Sheffield United), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Kevin Long (Burnley), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers), Ryan Manning (QPR), Nathan Collins (Stoke City)

Midfielders: Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Josh Cullen (Charlton Athletic, on loan from West Ham United), Glenn Whelan (Hearts), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Robbie Brady (Burnley), James McClean (Stoke City), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), James McCarthy (Crystal Palace), Alan Judge (Ipswich Town), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers)

Forwards: Aaron Connolly (Brighton & Hove Albion), David McGoldrick (Sheffield United), James Collins (Luton Town), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Callum Robinson (Sheffield United), Aidan O’Brien (Millwall), Kieran Sadlier (Doncaster Rovers), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth), Shane Long (Southampton), Michael Obafemi (Southampton), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur), Scott Hogan (Stoke City, on loan from Aston Villa)

• Advertisement

Provisional Ireland squad v New Zealand and Denmark

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth), Kieran O’Hara (Burton Albion, on loan from Manchester United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool).

Defenders: Matt Doherty (Wolves), Cyrus Christie (Fulham), John Egan (Sheffield United), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Kevin Long (Burnley), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers), Ryan Manning (QPR), Nathan Collins (Stoke City)

Midfielders: Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Josh Cullen (Charlton Athletic, on loan from West Ham United), Glenn Whelan (Hearts), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Robbie Brady (Burnley), James McClean (Stoke City), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), James McCarthy (Crystal Palace), Alan Judge (Ipswich Town), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers)

Forwards: Aaron Connolly (Brighton & Hove Albion), David McGoldrick (Sheffield United), James Collins (Luton Town), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Callum Robinson (Sheffield United), Aidan O’Brien (Millwall), Kieran Sadlier (Doncaster Rovers), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth), Shane Long (Southampton), Michael Obafemi (Southampton), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur), Scott Hogan (Stoke City, on loan from Aston Villa)

Vintage Mick:
    “We know what we have to do against Denmark and we will look to the tried and the trusted to win that game but who knows what will happen against New Zealand. Maybe someone will take their chance in that match and give me something to think about.”

So his team vs Denmark will be...

Randolph
    Doherty
    Duffy
    Egan
    Stevens
    Whelan
    Hendrick
    Hourihane
    Brady
    McGoldrick
    McClean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Vintage Mick:
    “We know what we have to do against Denmark and we will look to the tried and the trusted to win that game but who knows what will happen against New Zealand. Maybe someone will take their chance in that match and give me something to think about.”

So his team vs Denmark will be...

Randolph
    Doherty
    Duffy
    Egan
    Stevens
    Whelan
    Hendrick
    Hourihane
    Brady
    McGoldrick
    McClean

He's already set the Connolly precedent so could easily see him start over Brady.

The idea of a front three of Connolly, Mcgoldrick and Long interests me though.

Don't know what McCarthy sees in Judge, especially given he's been on the bench the last two games for a League One side. Seems he is making an international career out of putting in one good cross for Duffy. Wouldn't mind if he had a habit of quality crossing but that moment seems to have been the exception.

Pleased Clark and James McCarthy are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Josh Cullen has been unreal at Charlton. Hopefully he'll get proper gametime against New Zealand

I'd expect him to be one of our key midfielders for the world cup campaign

siblers wrote: »
    Josh Cullen has been unreal at Charlton. Hopefully he'll get proper gametime against New Zealand

Should really be in the frame for the denmark game.

Long getting a run out against City in the EFL Cup tonight. Obafemi still injured.

O'Hara in goals for Burton against Leicester too.

I worry for Obafemis' career, think injuries will prevent him from reaching his full potential. Even Hasenhüttl made reference to it before the season started about these injuries that he's picking up, his career so far has been stop start at Southampton. Think even Kenny mentioned during a presser for the U21s.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

I worry for Obafemis' career, think injuries will prevent him from reaching his full potential. Even Hasenhüttl made reference to it before the season started about these injuries that he's picking up, his career so far has been stop start at Southampton. Think even Kenny mentioned during a presser for the U21s.

Didn't Hasenhuttl also question his professionalism in pre season too?

If you were to look at it since the Switzerland game, he's our most in form central midfield player. Yet he won't be considered to start the Denmark game unless there are a number of injuries

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    Didn't Hasenhuttl also question his professionalism in pre season too?

This is from his interview in pre season;

SAINTS boss Ralph Hasenhuttl has outlined the importance of next season for Michael Obafemi.

The striker missed chunks of the previous campaign through two hamstring injuries.

And after having his professionalism questioned by Hasenhuttl in January, the Saints chief wants to see more of him on the pitch.

Speaking at a fans' forum, the Austrian said: "Michael knows it is an important time now for him in his career because after two big injuries, if he doesn’t understand what it is about for his body – he has a special body – what it is about to live as a professional, to eat as a professional, to train, and prepare, and recover after training sessions.

"If he doesn’t understand after these two big injuries that he has to change something, then I cannot help him anymore.

"He has a very special body. He is unbelievably quick, and that means he is like a Formula 1 racing car; he needs the best fuel, the best service, and from everybody, he needs the best, and then he can help you.

"If we don’t treat him like that, it’s more in the garage than on the track. And I like him on the track because then he can help us."

Says Hasenhuttl questioned his professionalism back in January but can't find that article

• Advertisement

Once they're down at Charlton watching Cullen they should have a word with Conor Gallagher. Himself and Cullen have been excellent for Charlton so far this season. There's a lot of competition for midfield places at England and even Rice who would have been our starting number 6 for ten plus years has found it hard after switching to England. Think one of Gallagher's parents is Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He'll not only be in the 23, he'll be starting. "He always gives us something" were there words Mick used about him last month. What that something is is unknown to me. He should not be anywhere near the team.

He's a great man for picking up the full size toblerone's at the airport on the way over. Not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Once they're down at Charlton watching Cullen they should have a word with Conor Gallagher. Himself and Cullen have been excellent for Charlton so far this season. There's a lot of competition for midfield places at England and even Rice who would have been our starting number 6 for ten plus years has found it hard after switching to England. Think one of Gallagher's parents is Irish.
    Cullen and Gallagher, bit like Kinsella and Holland!

Gallagher is class. Very, very impressed by him
    What he is doing this season is similar to what Mount did at Derby last season. I'd say Gallagher is nailed on to be a first team squad player for Chelsea next season and would probably expect him to feature for England. Wouldn't see him being too interested to play for us unfortunately although I'd like to think some attempt was made to coax him to play in an Irish shirt

Cullen will probably be back at West Ham too or at least at a premier league club next season (hopefully Charlton :pac:)

Cullen is out of contract in the summer and is being let leave on a free. Cant see many / if any PL teams coming in for him even at that. A permanent move to Charlton regardless of if they get promoted or not would still be a good move at his age. He just needs to be playing regularly in a good team in a good environment and hes getting that there.

As for Gallagher, I read hes open to playing for Ireland and has let it known that hes interested.

Id be of the opinion if Gallagher wants to play we need to cap him. Obviously not against the Danes but Kenny should be ear marking him.

Keep an eye out for Gladbach's game with Dortmund in the Pokal on Wednesday evening as they have a raft of players missing with injury. It could be a chance for Conor Noss to get some minutes. It would be particularly nice because the game will be live for free on the official Youtube channel. Kick-off is at 7:45. Hoping he at least makes the bench.

Cullen hasn't a future at West Ham, its been the case now for years. Be good to see him play PL football next year tho please god

• Advertisement

We haven't a hope of getting a talent like Conor Gallagher who will be in Chelsea's plans. He's been tearing up the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Cullen is out of contract in the summer and is being let leave on a free. Cant see many / if any PL teams coming in for him even at that. A permanent move to Charlton regardless of if they get promoted or not would still be a good move at his age. He just needs to be playing regularly in a good team in a good environment and hes getting that there.

As for Gallagher, I read hes open to playing for Ireland and has let it known that hes interested.

2017–2018 England U17 4 (0)
    2018 England U18 6 (0)
    2018–2019 England U19 9 (2)
    2019– England U20 4 (0)
    2019– England U21

I cant see someone who has played u 17 to u 21 for england switching to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

pgj2015 wrote: »
    [/B]

2017–2018 England U17 4 (0)
    2018 England U18 6 (0)
    2018–2019 England U19 9 (2)
    2019– England U20 4 (0)
    2019– England U21

I cant see someone who has played u 17 to u 21 for england switching to Ireland.

Really? Because one current squad member currently has the below international representations At underage.

England U16 5 (1)
    2011–2012
    England U17 15 (2)
    2013–2014
    England U19 5 (3)
    2014–2015
    England U20
    9 (3)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Gallagher is only 19 and doing well at Charlton. When he sees the youth getting a shot at Chelsea under Lampard we wont be jumping ship any time soon. Wait until we see where is when he is 21 or 22 and it will be may clearer if he will consider a switch.

henke wrote: »
    Gallagher is only 19 and doing well at Charlton. When he sees the youth getting a shot at Chelsea under Lampard we wont be jumping ship any time soon. Wait until we see where is when he is 21 or 22 and it will be may clearer if he will consider a switch.

No I think if he doesn't want to switch now then don't consider him in the future. Don't wait for a player who wants to see if they are good enough to play for England.

Keep an eye on it next year really with him anyway. if he doesn't get a PL loan move or a place in the Chelsea match day squad that might make him more amiable to a switch. But I would be waiting until he makes the first move.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement