Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I worry for Obafemis' career, think injuries will prevent him from reaching his full potential. Even Hasenhüttl made reference to it before the season started about these injuries that he's picking up, his career so far has been stop start at Southampton. Think even Kenny mentioned during a presser for the U21s.

I think Obafemi needs to bide his time and get fully fit without rushing back. Southampton will part ways with their current management soon enough anyway so that could be a clean break for him. he is still that young that he doesn't need to force things in terms of recovery. Just get himself right and hopefully his international exposure might open up some moves for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

No I think if he doesn't want to switch now then don't consider him in the future. Don't wait for a player who wants to see if they are good enough to play for England.

Oh I wouldn't disagree with you there I am just thinking of how him or his agents could possibly be looking at it. I suspect if he was asked now there would be no decision forthcoming. Anyway, we will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad news this evening that Derby have sacked Richard Keogh after the car accident:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/30/derby-sack-richard-keogh-car-crash-reduced-wages

Sad news this evening that Derby have sacked Richard Keogh after the car accident:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/30/derby-sack-richard-keogh-car-crash-reduced-wages

Yep. We all make mistake and Keogh has paid the price. 30k a week out of pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Nothing sad about it. Good enough for him.

There's obviously an argument that the other two players should've been sacked too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

QikBax wrote: »

There's obviously an argument that the other two players should've been sacked too.

They aren't 33 and aren't going to be sitting at home for the next year. They wanted to offload him and his wages so they offered him peanuts knowing he'd turn it down. I can't see him playing professionally again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

It is a bit hypocritical to sack the passenger and the two lads who were driving are still playing for them week in week out. A 33 year old with a long term injury was always going to be pushed towards the door though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

It is a bit hypocritical to sack the passenger and the two lads who were driving are still playing for them week in week out. A 33 year old with a long term injury was always going to be pushed towards the door though.

Derby must have something in the contracts that allows them to do this otherwise they're opening themselves to a lawsuit.

The other two can still perform their duties while Keogh was gonna be out injured for the rest of his contract so is no longer seen as an asset.

Some might call it hypocritical of Derby to release Keogh and not the other two but they'd be crazy to let the other guys go for free when they can sell them for a fee in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah I'd be surprised we've heard the last of this.

Derby must have something in the contracts that allows them to do this otherwise they're opening themselves to a lawsuit.

This is why they offered him the "deal" and didn't just sack him outright. Keogh is unavailable for the rest of his contract (7 months) and then some through an injury caused by his own recklessness.
    It's fairly reasonable that Derby wouldn't pay him anything close to what he'd get playing every week.
    I'd say the Derby solicitors have purposely taken the last month to make sure this one was airtight.
    He wouldn't have a leg to stand on in a courtroom. Pun intended.

That's cut throat elite level football for you. There's a strong argument to be made that the 33 year old club captain joy riding in the early morning with two pished 20 something year olds was the most culpable.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Kelleher starts for Liverpool tonight in the EFL Cup as was expected. Should be a very good test for him. Huge night for the lad playing in Anfield against Arsenal.

Elsewhere, Hourihane and Doherty are expected to starts for Villa and Wolves as they meet eachother.

No Doherty but Hourihane starts for Villa. Lewis Richards was named on the bench for Wolves, 18yr old English born defender but was named in our U19s squad for the friendlies against Denmark this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Seems harsh on Keogh when the other 2 were back playing in a couple weeks. They really seem to be making him the scapegoat for this, was the only person named in all the original statements and now this.

There's a strong argument to be made that the 33 year old club captain joy riding in the early morning with two pished 20 something year olds was the most culpable.

No there's not. They were drunk driving, he wasn't.

Are you having a laugh? He's a 33 year old man and the club captain.

He should have had the sense not to be anywhere near a drag race with two drunk 20 something year olds in the early morning.

The fact the club had done their bit by laying on cars so the players could get home safely just compounds his stupidity.

He was the very person that should have been making sure players got into those cars not hanging around afterwards waiting for early morning Formula One.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Seems harsh on Keogh when the other 2 were back playing in a couple weeks. They really seem to be making him the scapegoat for this, was the only person named in all the original statements and now this.

There's money to be made on the other 2 football is a business nothing to be made on Keogh

Never rated Keogh clumsy slow and poor feet no loss to Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Very lucky he was not killed and very lucky he was not a foolish passenger in a crash that killed innocent people .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Honestly a sober man who allows himself to be in the car with 2 drunks is an idiot

sky88 wrote: »
    Honestly a sober man who allows himself to be in the car with 2 drunks is an idiot

He is that. But “most culpable”? Give me a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Still Ill

sky88 wrote: »

You really think he was sober?

I'd say his solicitor will be pointing to the fact the other two haven't been let go when this one goes to court.

He's old he was club captain sh1t happens

Jaysus the level of moral outrage here is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What makes him worse is that he was the captain and supposedly setting an example. Getting injured in such a manner didn't help his case either. He would have been at the club past the end of his contract with the injury. I'd expect a settlement before it goes near a court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well it does from a legal point of view.. he has a good case for unfair dismissal given the other 2 weren't sacked despite being even more involved.
    Not really. The others were available to play and have been punished. He's not in any way for the rest of his contract. At worst it's constructive dismissal given they offered him a poor deal but his culpability is part of what transpired. Bennett's contract is up next year and he'll probably go too, Lawrence is there till 2022.

Still Ill wrote: »
    You really think he was sober?

I'd say his solicitor will be pointing to the fact the other two haven't been let go when this one goes to court.

The injury makes it a different set of circumstances. He's unable to fulfil the terms of his contract i.e be available to play, through his own negligence.

Derby would be on the hook for £24,000 per week because no insurance company covers players being idiots. .

They offered to pay Keogh on reduced terms to reflect that. He turned it down. I don't blame them for not being prepared to pay him half a million pounds to sit at home.

Most likely he has one eye on a court room but I wouldn't be sure he'll have any joy there.

• Advertisement

I can't believe Keogh got a game with us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Zico ! wrote: »

Always did a decent job

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Always did a decent job
    We’ve had a lot worse . Maybe some in the team now ! ! !:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Haven’t seen any of it, but Kelleher mightn’t be getting another look in any time soon. 5 conceded tonight.

Haven't heard him been at fault for any of the goals

• Advertisement

Haven't heard him been at fault for any of the goals

Nor have I really, but can’t have played too well conceding that many.

fullstop wrote: »
    Haven’t seen any of it, but Kelleher mightn’t be getting another look in any time soon. 5 conceded tonight.

Badly needs to get out of Liverpool for some first team action. Surely even he must know that there's about as much chance of him becoming Liverpool's number one as Ireland winning a major international tournament.

Watch him win the shoot out now for Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not often I root for Liverpool but I hope he can make a save or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

getting interviewed now on Sky. He is deadly on the ball and distribution is 50% of the keepers job these days.

He will definately be a top flight keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭sheroman01

fullstop wrote: »

What a childish, idiotic comment to make. At least watch a game before commenting on it.

As other posters pointed out, his distribution is great which is going to be huge in him plus in getting gametime for top clubs. Good save for the peno. Should've done better for the second goal, despite it being offside. Overall decent and looking forward to seeing more of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭pgj2015

really? hes $hit, Ireland are $hit, its a perfect match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

sheroman01 wrote: »
    What a childish, idiotic comment to make. At least watch a game before commenting on it.

As other posters pointed out, his distribution is great which is going to be huge in him plus in getting gametime for top clubs. Good save for the peno. Should've done better for the second goal, despite it being offside. Overall decent and looking forward to seeing more of him.

His distribution is really exceptional, way above average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Never rated Keogh clumsy slow and poor feet no loss to Ireland

Nonsense post though.

Been playing well for Ireland for years now.

noodler wrote: »
    Nonsense post though.

Been playing well for Ireland for years now.

Always preferred Keogh over Duffy

• Advertisement

Well it does from a legal point of view.. he has a good case for unfair dismissal given the other 2 weren't sacked despite being even more involved.
    He doesn’t have two good legs to stand on though ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

For anyone who didnt see the game, heres all the goals Liverpool conceded...

Goal 1: https://streamja.com/19er
    Goal 2: https://streamvi.com/watch.php?video=1572465392
    Goal 3: https://streamja.com/Nm1a
    Goal 4: https://streamja.com/GJ1B
    Goal 5: https://streamja.com/0z3k

Full penalty shootout: https://streamja.com/2vXb

A you can see, no real glaring mistakes from Kelleher... the defense and midfield let him down an awful lot for the goals by not closing down players and losing possession in dangerous areas.

Could have probably done better for the first and second with his parried saves falling to the feet of the opposite to tap it back in.

Third, couldnt do much about it. Ball was lost in midfield and defence caught napping leaving it for a 1 v1.

Fourth, another error at the back with a horrible passback.

Fifth, cracker. Most keepers werent getting to it. Midfield and defence were nowhere to seen to close it down.

Second goal was definitely his mistake, ball was going wide, fair enough he's playing it safe to be sue but he should be palming that behind for a corner. He literally keeps it in play and tees up the striker. I didn't like his parry for the first either but it was offside so that was more annoying. I'd fault him for the 2nd and overall he didn't make any noteable saves while conceding 5 but it's a home debut under the belt and good experience overall for him. Penalty shootout made it all feel better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

On the second one maybe, very difficult to get down that quick moving forward and push the ball behind you out for a corner.

franglan wrote: »
    On the second one maybe, very difficult to get down that quick moving forward and push the ball behind you out for a corner.

Keepers dive down and turn balls around the post every game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

franglan wrote: »

Look, this guy is an Irish Liverpool fan, and they just "get it" more than normal football fans. No point in arguing with him.

Look, this guy is an Irish Liverpool fan, and they just "get it" more than normal football fans. No point in arguing with him.

Get what? What are you talking about I was making a general point about keepers turning a ball around a post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Always preferred Keogh over Duffy

Oh please:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Jesus H. Why does everything get turned into a them v us / tribalism sh*te narrative on here?:rolleyes:

Kelleher was poor for the second goal. Its ok to say that. No matter what team you support. He could have done better. No-ones slating him because of it, just pointing out an opinion. You can disagree with it without getting a dig in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

To note I support Brentford and like having football opinions.

• Advertisement

sheroman01 wrote: »

I’ll comment on whatever I like thanks, and you can jog on. We’ll see how many games he gets this season so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement