Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Zico ! wrote: »
    Haven't heard him been at fault for any of the goals

Conceding 5 in what was practically a reserve game isn’t a good look for a professional goalie at any age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought Kelleher could have done better with the one that was going wide. The others were tough to stop.

Realistically he's never going to replace Alisson, and probably not Adrian either when it comes to being on the bench for league games, so I hope he does what Kieran O'Hara did and goes out on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The way Klopp operates, he prefers younger players to train at a higher level day in day out, rather than playing lower leagues and training at a lower level. Generally the better younger players stay and train with the first team at Liverpool, and the players who he doesn't think will make it will be loaned out or sold eventually. but Grujic may buck this trend yet.

If you look at the list of players loaned out recently, they are players who have played first team games but maybe not up to the standard (Woodburn, Ejaria, Kent, Ojo). He also loaned out and eventually sold Danny Ward previously, someone who many Liverpool fans were calling to play instead of Mignolet & Karius. Shamal George, another goalkeepers, went to Huddersfield this season.

When you compare that to the list of players then he has refused loans for in order to keep them closer to the first team (Camacho, Trent Alexander Arnold, Brewster) and even just keeping players like Elliot, Jones, Hoever. Kelleher has stayed at the first team to train and play with them instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I think it’s very unfair with the people here slating Kelleher. It’s his debut home game ffs. Can anyone remember the amount of clangers de Gea made in his first season with United. Also people forgetting Kelleher was a top scoring striker only four years ago. Cut the lad some slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Rory Delap takes over Stoke as Caretaker, should see McClean get gametime again I'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

New Home Jersey. Not sure about it.

ireland-2019-2020-home-kit-4.jpg

Expect to see a lot more of James McClean in it folks:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

White shorts, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Rory Delap takes over Stoke as Caretaker, should see McClean get gametime again I'd imagine

Hopefully not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

No left back at the club. Ward is to old and indi Martins is a CB by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That Jersey is absolute awful. I would not wear one if I got it for free

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Agreed, its a lazy rehash of a Celtic jersey. Whatever about the gold, but the dark green is atrocious.

Plus, NB gear is a shocking price and terrible quality. I miss Umbro big time, they always put some effort into an individual teams design and were always decent quality.

Oneills would be much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I think it’s very unfair with the people here slating Kelleher. It’s his debut home game ffs. Can anyone remember the amount of clangers de Gea made in his first season with United. Also people forgetting Kelleher was a top scoring striker only four years ago. Cut the lad some slack.

That is interesting, I didnt know that, and I was just saying today that he looked very uncomfortable/unnatural in goal against arsenal, like an outfield player who goes into goal during a game. i wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt make it as a professional goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

henke wrote: »

That’s exactly what I’m afraid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

henke wrote: »

South Africa rugbyesque colouring

I like NB but they are showing a serious lack of imagination with that new kit.

Ghastly looking kit, though I wouldn't buy a nice one as long as it has a shirt sponsor on the front. Disgraceful that we do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Ciaran Clark scores for Newcastle.

Hearing Doherty went off with a possible knee injury which is a worry.

Egan also taken off but seems to be a slight knock in his case.

With Coleman suspended, you'd think Christie would step in at RB if the Doherty injury is serious. Fingers crossed it's not.

Ghastly looking kit, though I wouldn't buy a nice one as long as it has a shirt sponsor on the front. Disgraceful that we do that.

is there any way to remove the sponsors logo if you thought the shirt was nice?

We really need Mark Travers to start getting some games somewhere. Kelleher doesnt look the part for me. Doesnt command and isnt overly imposing. Saw EFL highlights and OHara looks average enough. Ian Lawlor back warming the bench for Doncaster. Jack Bonham is playing regularly for gillingham.

• Advertisement

that looks way better, the 3 logo isnt even a good design, its like something a child would design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What? He was class! It would have been 4,5, 6-1 if it wasnt for some of the saves he made. Very competent, composed keeper. Hes very quick off his line and commands his defense extremely well. I think hes most likely to succeed of any of our other up and coming Keepers.

Travers was supposed to be #2 going into this season but Boruc decided not to retire and signed a 1 year extension. Its a pity they got knocked out both Cup compositions so early on but it may open up a January loan move for him.

Kelleher still has some way to go but at least Liverpool are still in the Cup and he'll get another game under his belt this year.

Max O'Leary is doing pretty well at Shrewsbury too.

I'd be surprised if Adrian doesn't get the nod for the EFL quarters.

Ohara palmed the ball straight into the path of a doncaster player for a goal.

Klopp said the EFL Cup is Kellehers competition the other night.

Didn't hear that.

Adrian has been incredible and it seems weird he'd get nothing now Allison is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭Ludikrus

Agreed, its a lazy rehash of a Celtic jersey. Whatever about the gold, but the dark green is atrocious

Taste is personal I guess but I much prefer the dark green. Been wishing for years they’d tone down that bright green. I think it looks dated and awful frankly.

So McGoldrick looked really good time day.

Connolly looked busy.

Duffy obviously got a game and scored as people said, Clarke too.

Egan with another clean sheet.

Stephens the same and an assist.

Players are picking up time and form as we approach D-Day.

If only Long could get some time now.

noodler wrote: »
    So McGoldrick looked really good time day.

Connolly looked busy.

Duffy obviously got a game and scored as people said, Clarke too.

Egan with another clean sheet.

Stephens the same and an assist.

Players are picking up time and form as we approach D-Day.

If only Long could get some time now.

Brady got 45 minutes. Hendrick played also. Poor again though.

Hopefully McCarthy will see a good chunk of time tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

There’s a Sunday Times interview with James McCarthy.

It’s hid behind subscription. If anyone can copy & paste here I’d appreciate it. ����

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Nunu wrote: »
    There’s a Sunday Times interview with James McCarthy.

It’s hid behind subscription. If anyone can copy & paste here I’d appreciate it. ����

How about paying for it and saying indirectly "thank you" for the work they have done on exposing the FAI and JD for what they are!!!

• Advertisement

Charlton vs Preston coming up at 12pm.

Browne captains Preston, Maguire also starting and Cullen starts with Charlton.

Joe Rafferty also starts at left full for Preston. Been doing well there this season.

Again a better option than McClean for that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Joe Rafferty also starts at left full for Preston. Been doing well there this season.

Again a better option than McClean for that position.

I dunno.. Does he possess the ability to kick the ball straight out of play multiple times in a game?

McClean's free that led to the first Swiss goal still makes me sad. :(

Still Ill wrote: »
    I dunno.. Does he possess the ability to kick the ball straight out of play multiple times in a game?

McClean's free that led to the first Swiss goal still makes me sad. :(

The way he made the equaliser against the Swiss at home still makes me happy though!

The way he made the equaliser against the Swiss at home still makes me happy though!

The deflected cross?

Browne playing a blinder in the first half. Cullen has been quiet. Maguire doing okay too. That Conor Gallagher is definitely a prospect. He has the physicality and 5 goals to his name. Didn’t realize he is on loan from Chelsea.

• Advertisement

The deflected cross?

You need to watch that whole segment again.

How did you miss him catching up with the Danish player, despite a massive headstart, and taking back possession?

He wouldn't even have been able to put in the cross otherwise.

https://youtu.be/PlReuJxInnw

Minute 2:32 onwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

You need to watch that whole segment again.

How did you miss him catching up with the Danish player, despite a massive headstart, and taking back possession?

He wouldn't even have been able to put in the cross otherwise.

https://youtu.be/PlReuJxInnw

Minute 2:32 onwards

He did great for that goal but you have to consider would we benefit more overall by having a better player there in every game. A better player might create chances too.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    He did great for that goal but you have to consider would we benefit more overall by having a better player there in every game. A better player might create chances too.

Separate discussion.

He was getting blamed for an extremely indirect role in a goal that happens sometime after his error in Switzerland but not being given credit for creating an equaliser in the Dublin game.

I'm very much in the try someone else camp.

Although I do also think that our only chance of beating Denmark will be blood and thunder rather than outplaying them so wonder if that game will be the one to try someone else.

McCarthy coming on here for Palace v Leicester. Is he in the squad for the Denmark game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

He's in the provisional squad along with 38 others.

• Advertisement

Not watchin the game Ranagers v Hearts in the Scottish league cup semi final, Whelan went off after 27minutes, must've have picked up a knock?

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Not watchin the game Ranagers v Hearts in the Scottish league cup semi final, Whelan went off after 27minutes, must've have picked up a knock?

Hamstring injury it sounds like

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Troy Parrott on the bench for Spurs today, Kane injured.

TheCitizen wrote: »

At his age it might not be a quick recovery either.

I hope Mick is taking note of Jack Bynre passing here in the Cup final, he has said numerous times “He’s never ever going to have a chance of playing for me" playing in a deeper midfield role.

Yet here is dropping off deep and delivering inch perfect ball after ball over the top of Dundalks defence for the forwards to run onto. Exactly the type of thing Mick was trying for last month except it was Hendrick, Hourihane or Browne launching them hopelessly to nobody.

But can the lad do it on a cold Tuesday night in somewhere like Yorkshire. Until he actually makes it with an English club we'll never know if he's gonna be able to do it against mighty opposition like Georgia, Gibraltar etc etc.

Hopefully the lad stays with Rovers next season, I'd say Kenny would give him a run out during the nation's league even with him still playing in Ireland. I'm not watching the cup final but having watched him in the European games you could see his positive play and the fact he looks to drop deep and get play started, something we badly need from some midfielders. Even against Bulgaria he was the one to come on and change the game for us.

No, you wouldn't think so if it's a hamstring.

Hopefully Doherty isn't anything as severe.

No, you wouldn't think so if it's a hamstring.

Hopefully Doherty isn't anything as severe.

Doherty should be ok, think Wolves took him off more as a precaution given the injuries they've already got. Probably didn't want to risk him staying on and making it worse.

John Egan seemed to be more suffering with illness than picking up a knock.

Whelan could be a big worry given Arter isn't in Mick's plans, McCarthy is McCarthy and Cullen has the one cap to his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

We can but hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Stay classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I hope Mick is taking note of Jack Byrnes passing here in the Cup final, he has said numerous times “He’s never ever going to have a chance of playing for me" playing in a deeper midfield role.

Yet here he is dropping off deep and delivering inch perfect ball after ball over the top of Dundalks defence for the forwards to run onto. Exactly the type of thing Mick was trying for last month except it was Hendrick, Hourihane or Browne launching them hopelessly to nobody.

How was he off the ball? Can he track runners, make clearances, break up the play? Or is he the type of player who is only effective when his team has the ball?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement