Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Corholio wrote: »
    Interesting calculation that you think I could use 'chest beating patriots' across the board in any disagreement. I didn't accuse people who disagree with me of anything,

Oh but you did, in a smarmy knowitall way, when it's actually the case you don't know anymore about this than anyone else on here.
    but well you know that. It was a very specific description of people who throw out all analytical common sense because you should crawl across hot coals to play for Ireland, regardless of individual situation.

Nobody said that anyone should crawl over hot coals, that's just you strawmanning.
    You literally said 'You can shut it till then as well' You'd hear more nuanced stuff from residents of a creche.

Well, yeah, you should until a final decision and explanation is made, yes you should shut it. If you find that insulting, that's such a pity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

McCarthy is trying to save his Club Career . Ireland must surely come after that . Crystal Palace will want to see him making every effort in their best interests .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

noodler wrote: »
    Didn't stop people posting about how he should never be picked for Ireland again though.

Well, they're wrong as well until we hear the final decision and explanation on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Oh but you did, in a smarmy knowitall way, when it's actually the case you don't know anymore about this than anyone else on here.

TheCitizen calling someone else smarmy on here is certainly a surprise highlight. You literally told someone on a message board to 'shut it'....

Like....on an internet message board.....

You realise how infant like that is. Unfold your sulking arms and grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

This kind of thing has followed McCarthy a bit during his career. I remember when he was at Wigan and hadn't been tied down to us yet Martinez was stirring it up a bit saying that McCarthy hadn't made his choice yet etc. Coupled with the fact he withdrew from a squad led to confusion.

Again at that time he wasn't really quick to clarify his position either way. His P management has been poor at best.

It would be easy enough for him to clear this up but he hasn't go a track record for that.

Mick has spoken to him and will have a better idea though. No way he picks him in the final squad if the player himself doesn't want to be considered. Also I'd say there is no way Mick has told him to concentrate on his club career and not to bother togging for Ireland.

it's a strange one all the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

TheCitizen and Corholio, tone the aggression back please. We're not getting anywhere calling someone childish or to shut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Surprised how McCarthy is getting flak as it seems to me he is just reiterating the position that himself and Mick have already spoken about. This was Mick speaking back in August:
    “He needs some Premier League football in his legs. He did fine in that 23s game but I’d expect him to. There was no great intensity to it at all. I’ve been speaking to James by text and he’s just said: he needs games in his legs. He has had five games in two years, competitive games, so I’m told. He needs some now to be competing so he can get in the team.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/mick-mccarthy-james-mccarthy-needs-regular-top-flight-football-1.3988638

Sounded to me like James was letting everyone know that he doesn't feel he's quite up to standard yet. Better for him to be honest about it than to keep schtum and possibly jeopardise his own recovery, not to mention our qualifying chances. We may still need him in play-offs after all.

Don't like his commitment being questioned either. He was getting dog's abuse by Scottish fans for sticking with us yet he took it all and stayed with us, helping us achieve some of the biggest results this decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Told you years ago that this lad was never committed to playing for Ireland.

I think he is committed to Ireland and has paid the price for playing with us suffering a lot of injuries while playing with us no way I'd doubt this fella if he's fit if he's not 100% fit he shouldn't make himself available. I'd always play our best 11 when picking a team mccarthy is in our best 11

It will be nice to see a captain sing the anthem in the Denmark game I presume Duffy will be captain now Colemans out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Surely 45-60 mins V NZ would do him a word of good and set him up nicely for Den game

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Whelan will probably be captain if hes fit.

Fair enough probly in the reckoning allright I'd still prefer Duffy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Republic of Ireland U-21 Squad

Goalkeepers:

Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool),
    Conor Kearns (UCD AFC).

Defenders:

Thomas O'Connor (Gillingham, on loan from Southampton),
    Danny McNamara (Newport County, on loan from Millwall),
    Dara O'Shea (West Bromwich Albion),
    Conor Masterson (QPR),
    Liam Scales (UCD AFC),
    Nathan Collins (Stoke City),
    Trevor Clarke (Rotherham).

Midfielders:

Jason Knight (Derby County),
    Conor Coventry (West Ham United),
    Jack Taylor (Barnet),
    Jack Clarke (Aston Villa),
    Connor Ronan (DAC Dunajská Streda, on loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers),
    Dan Mandroiu (Bohemians).

Wingers:

Zack Elbouzedi (Waterford),
    Gavin Kilkenny (AFC Bournemouth),
    Neil Farrugia (Shamrock Rovers),
    Danny Grant (Bohemians).

Forwards:

Adam Idah (Norwich City),
    Aidan Keena (Hearts),
    Michael Obafemi (Southampton).

Jayson Molumby and Lee O'Connor suspended for the Armenia game but will feature against Sweden. Would be great to see these lads in the squad for New Zealand since they can't play with the U21s. Darren Randolph has also been ruled out for Middlesbrough game at the weekend which were the final games before the international break.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Wonder will Parrott come back in after the NZ game as well?

Wonder will Parrott come back in after the NZ game as well?

Think Kenny has come out and said he won't be involved in any of the U21s games next week.

U21s have to take five flights to get to and from Armenia, three flights to get there and two flights to get home as the FAI can't afford to charter a flight. The legacy that has been left behind by John and boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

U21s have to take five flights to get to and from Armenia, three flights to get there and two flights to get home as the FAI can't afford to charter a flight. The legacy that has been left behind by John and boys.

It's fine. They'll be debt free next year. John told us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Alan Judge makes the final squad again seriously what the hell is going on there.

He's definitely had a falling out with Shane Long BTW now I know Long isn't good at football but he's better option than Judge and Collins

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Alan Judge makes the final 23 again seriously what the hell is going on there.

He's definitely had a falling out with Shane Long BTW now I know Long isn't good at football but he's better option than Judge and Collins
    Has to be some bad history between Long and McCarthy . Did Shane refuse a transfer to one of Mick’s clubs along the way ? by any chance .

• Advertisement

Judge is nowhere near the same player he was before his injury so it is surprising to see him making these squads . Goes to show every manager has his favourites . Tis funny but I doubt he is anywhere near starting .

Final squad, great to see Lee O'Connor in there ahead of Christie.

76197213_2822292037789524_2020739528167260160_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQlbNeXS2yECvQHhDiHB-yn3jYbW6S5BAdZUPVsN_GLN0HX7FH8ZqhnS7uth--dku_I&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=ae940296b9be7b4be367f876bd010230&oe=5E4CB775

That stinks.

Judge, Collins and Hogan over Long. Bizarre and a downright wrong call. Obviously personalities coming into play here. I'd honestly have Pat Hoban and/or Graham Burke there over Hogan and Judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

O'Connor a lad who hasn't played a single minute of professional football in there over Manning? Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Mick is extracting the urine with Manning and Long at this stage. Baffling.

O'Connor a lad who hasn't played a single minute of professional football in there over Manning? Madness

It's an insult really. Are we sure Mick knows about manning and that he has played every game a left full in the championship this year?

Mick will in my eyes really tarnish his legacy with this carry on.

O'Connor is there obviously as a back up to Doherty but I'd have had Sean Gannon there instead.

Mannings' exclusion has nothing to do with O'Connor. O'Connor was selected ahead of Christie.

Pity Molumby wasn't included for the NZ game with O'Connor. Manning should be in there for the NZ game, maybe Mick is looking at three at the back and went with Williams given he can play CB/LB.

• Advertisement

Alan Judge makes the final squad again seriously what the hell is going on there.

I said that a few weeks ago on here.

In relation to Judge, agree that he shouldn't be getting beat the first team. Unfortunately I still think Mick will look to either start him or bring him on against Denmark. It's the way Mick is.

In terms of him being picked in the squad, who is realistically going to be picked ahead of him? Harry After has played 64 minutes of first team football since we played Switzerland. James McCarthy has played 15 minutes since that match, and there's obviously an issue there.

I think Molumby would be worth a call up but he isn't exactly the same type of player as Judge, he's a central midfielder and Mick obviously feels he has enough there with his tried and trusted players.

Either way, I'd be very disappointed if Judge, playing in League 1, was to get on the pitch ahead of the likes of Cullen or O'Dowda, both of whom are playing regularly and we'll in the championship. Or even Jack Byrne, who has been in very good form, payed really well against Bulgaria, yet was left out of the squad against Switzerland while Judge remained in it.

That stinks.

Judge, Collins and Hogan over Long. Bizarre and a downright wrong call. Obviously personalities coming into play here. I'd honestly have Pat Hoban and/or Graham Burke there over Hogan and Judge.

So you're always cribbing that a bang average Shane Long isn't included, calls it bizarre and a downright wrong call but yet goes on to say you'd include a striker who couldn't make it in League two and scored seven league goals in three seasons over Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

O'Connor is a left back, Manning right back.

O'Conner is suspended for the 21s so will only be in for the New Zealand friendly here.

It's better to promote one our best u21s than having Christie, who equally hasn't played any football this season.

Also Manning has been a disaster defensively, hasn't kept a clean sheet all season.

You can hardly blame him for all QPR's defensive issues and the QPR fans are raving about him this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

O'Conner is suspended for the 21s so will only be in for the New Zealand friendly here.

It's better to promote one our best u21s than having Christie, who equally hasn't played any football this season.

Also Manning has been a disaster defensively, hasn't kept a clean sheet all season.

Jesus this post is awful.

Manning is a left back, not right back as you incorrectly stated as fact, who has been one of the better performers for QPR this season and surely more deserving of a cap v a guy who hasn't played at all?

All this squad announcement has done is proven that Mick has learned 0 lessons since the disaster of a few ago.

Just to give people an idea of a selection of our midfield players since the Switzerland Game...

Alan Browne
    - Started 3/4 matches, playing 312 of a possible 360 mins, avg rating of 6.95, 1 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Alan Judge - Started 2/4 matches, playing 176 of a possible 360 mins, avg rating of 6.5, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Callum O'Dowda - Started 3/4 matches, playing 312 of a possible 360 mins, avg rating of 6.7, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Conor Hourihane - Started 2/4 matches, playing 170 of a possible 360 mins, avg rating of 6.4, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Glenn Whelan - Started 2/3 matches, playing 117 of a possible 270 mins, avg rating of 7, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Harry Arter - Started 1/4 matches, playing 64 of a possible 360 mins, avg rating of 7, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Jack Byrne - Started 2/3 matches, playing 180 of a possible 270 mins, avg rating n/a, 1 assist, 1 goal, 0 MOTM

James McCarthy - Started 0/3 matches, playing 15 of a possible 270 mins, avg rating of 6, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

James McClean - Started 0/4 matches, playing 90 of a possible 360 mins, avg rating of 6.1, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Jeff Hendrick - Started 3/3 matches, playing 264 of a possible 270 mins, avg rating of 5.8, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Josh Cullen - Started 4/4 matches, playing 360 of a possible 360 mins, avg rating of 7.5, 1 assist, 1 goal, 2 MOTM

Robbie Brady - Started 1/3 matches, playing 102 of a possible 270 mins, avg rating of 6.5, 2 assists, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

• Advertisement

So you're always cribbing that a bang average Shane Long isn't included, calls it bizarre and a downright wrong call but yet goes on to say you'd include a striker who couldn't make it in League two and scored seven league goals in three seasons over Collins.

Collins was so bad over 2 games that he should be at the back of the line. What does he offer? He is absolutely brutal and given he won't start v Denmark - I'd much rather the pace and energy of Long off the bench over some plodder who stunk the place out 2 games in a row.

Seriously?

Honestly Johnny. Are Collins and Hogan a better option than Shane Long?

Just to give people an idea of a selection of our midfield players since the Switzerland Game...

Alan Browne
    - Started 3/4 matches, playing 312 of a possible 360 mins, avg rating of 6.95, 1 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Alan Judge - Started 2/4 matches, playing 176 of a possible 360 mins, avg rating of 6.5, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Callum O'Dowda - Started 3/4 matches, playing 312 of a possible 360 mins, avg rating of 6.7, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Conor Hourihane - Started 2/4 matches, playing 170 of a possible 360 mins, avg rating of 6.4, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Glenn Whelan - Started 2/3 matches, playing 117 of a possible 270 mins, avg rating of 7, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Harry Arter - Started 1/4 matches, playing 64 of a possible 360 mins, avg rating of 7, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Jack Byrne - Started 2/3 matches, playing 180 of a possible 270 mins, avg rating n/a, 1 assist, 1 goal, 0 MOTM

James McCarthy - Started 0/3 matches, playing 15 of a possible 270 mins, avg rating of 6, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

James McClean - Started 0/4 matches, playing 90 of a possible 360 mins, avg rating of 6.1, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Jeff Hendrick - Started 3/3 matches, playing 264 of a possible 270 mins, avg rating of 5.8, 0 assist, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Josh Cullen - Started 4/4 matches, playing 360 of a possible 360 mins, avg rating of 7.5, 1 assist, 1 goal, 2 MOTM

Robbie Brady - Started 1/3 matches, playing 102 of a possible 270 mins, avg rating of 6.5, 2 assists, 0 goals, 0 MOTM

Cullens form is savage and our midfield options have been so poor up till now he really should be thrown in. Jesus I knew Hendrick was out of form but that's alarming. How does Dyche continue to look at him every week. Must be an Alan judge/Mick type of thing going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Has anyone seen Ryan Manning play. Watched QPR v Brentford a few weeks ago and he was awful defensively. Was up against Bryan Mbeumo(French u21 International) who has been probably Brentford best player this season and really struggled. Looks to be still adjusting to a new position

You can hardly blame him for all QPR's defensive issues and the QPR fans are raving about him this season

And it should also be stated that Manning can also pay left wing comfortably and in an attacking midfield position. He is highly rated at qpr and has been linked with PL clubs.

https://punditarena.com/football/oisinmcqueirns2758/premier-league-clubs-reportedly-interested-in-ryan-manning/

At 23 years he should be forming an important part of our squad but no. Mick doesn't like the lad. A better option than Alan Judge who btw is a winger not a forward. He is also a better option at left full than McLean , Brady and Derrick Williams.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Has anyone seen Ryan Manning play. Watched QPR v Brentford a few weeks ago and he was awful defensively. Was up against Bryan Mbeumo(French u21 International) who has been probably Brentford best player this season and really struggled. Looks to be still adjusting to a new position

I'd agree to some extent that he is still learning the position but he was far from awful. Defensively QPR were poor but he got very little cover and help from midfield and was exposed on one v two situations a few times. I think the lad is better further up the field anyway but QPR are struggling for a left full back.

The squad is a joke. Needing to win a game and leaving better players sitting at home is poor management. Mick has always been limited but he has lost it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Mokuba wrote: »
    Jesus this post is awful.

Manning is a left back, not right back as you incorrectly stated as fact, who has been one of the better performers for QPR this season and surely more deserving of a cap v a guy who hasn't played at all?

All this squad announcement has done is proven that Mick has learned 0 lessons since the disaster of a few ago.

So is this post.

Lee O'Connor is a right-back. He plays there for Ireland U21s. He's not there instead of Manning. As already pointed out, he's there instead of Cyrus Christie.

wadacrack wrote: »

He was a big part of their good form a few weeks back. Brentford were good that night, Mbeumo and Benrahma are PL players in waiting, but Manning hasn't been bad at all defensively this season. I think that's a thing that gets said about a lot of left and right backs these days regardless of warrant. He should definitely be in the squad imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

James McCarthy flaking out again.

Thats the biggest issue I have whenever the nonsense about capping any dual player ASAP comes up. If they arent bothered about Ireland they can just fob us off and refuse the call up in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

collins might have played better in training than long. i guess james mccarthy thinks his personal reasons are more important than us beating denmark and getting to the euros. i always got the impression mccarthy was never pushed about playing for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I have no major issues with that squad to be fair, would have rathered see Manning and S. Long left in, even at that both were never going to start against Denmark, Long maybe might have come off the bench. Overall I think he got most of it right.

pjohnson wrote: »
    James McCarthy flaking out again.

Thats the biggest issue I have whenever the nonsense about capping any dual player ASAP comes up. If they arent bothered about Ireland they can just fob us off and refuse the call up in future.

Given that he repeatedly injured himself and ignored the wishes of club managers to play for us in the past when they told him not to, I'd say he is entitled to some leeway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

U21s forced to take 5 flights for the Armenia game because the FAI can't afford a chartered flight.
    To give it a bit of context Kenny was used to chartered flights at Dundalk for European games.
    It's frightening how much of a state Delaney and the rest of them have left football in this country.
    Shameless Donal Conway has the neck to hang on in there until next summer in the name of continuing. It would be funny if it wasn't so grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

blinding wrote: »
    If only all our players were willing to show the commitment of Glenn Whelan .

McCarthy never gave a bollocks about playing for Ireland imo. He’s always been more a nice idea rather than an actual performer for us - when available.

We need lads on the pitch against Denmark who want to be there, for whom the idea of playing for Ireland is fiercely important to them. All our players will need to dig to the core of the earth for this result. They will all need to want it desperately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Such short memories. McCarthy played in the wins over Bosnia, Germany and Italy - three of the biggest results Ireland achieved this decade.

The chap was getting death threats and dog's abuse from knuckle-draggers who wanted him to switch allegiance back to the country of his birth. He stuck with us throughout all that period.

He then suffered a near career-ending injury and has still not closed the door on his international career. He'd be well within his rights to retire from international duty and say he is concentrating solely on his club as a way of protecting his body - he hasn't done that. He's said he needs more game time to get back to his best which is entirely reasonable imo.

If he played without feeling ready for the task, and Denmark raced into a two goal lead with him having to be substituted early as Denmark went on to win the game comfortably, are we supposed to believe Ireland fans would be nonetheless applauding his decision to play? What would actually happen is he'd get abuse that he shouldn't have turned up if he didn't feel up for it and be accused of jeopardising Ireland's chances. He was in a tough spot either way.

Such short memories. McCarthy played in the wins over Bosnia, Germany and Italy - three of the biggest results Ireland achieved this decade.

The chap was getting death threats and dog's abuse from knuckle-draggers who wanted him to switch allegiance back to the country of his birth. He stuck with us throughout all that period.

He then suffered a near career-ending injury and has still not closed the door on his international career. He'd be well within his rights to retire from international duty and say he is concentrating solely on his club as a way of protecting his body - he hasn't done that. He's said he needs more game time to get back to his best which is entirely reasonable imo.

If he played without feeling ready for the task, and Denmark raced into a two goal lead with him having to be substituted early as Denmark went on to win the game comfortably, are we supposed to believe Ireland fans would be nonetheless applauding his decision to play? What would actually happen is he'd get abuse that he shouldn't have turned up if he didn't feel up for it and be accused of jeopardising Ireland's chances. He was in a tough spot either way.

Good post. People make their minds up about players in an instant these days and stick to that throughout their career, regardless of what happens. This invisible 'die to play for Ireland' stuff that you can make up and place on whatever player someone favours. People who base it on 'performances' would have no one to support if you counted the last couple of years, but it still is only ever aimed at a select few players.

Manning hasn't done too bad defensively though. The Brentford game was a tough game for them. He was doing fine before that, not terrible defensively as he's been made out to be. QPR fans seem pretty happy with him.

I'm obviously not blaming him for every single goal but hes part of the defensive unit and hes been responsible for his fair share. Be it being poor at actual defending or finding himself out of position as he so often does.. he tends to bomb forward and get caught out on the oppositions counter.

Fans are raving about him because of his attacking threat and how good he is at getting forward and not how sound he is defensively.

He is naturally a winger after all and can certainly do a shift in a wingback role. As an out and out left back, the jury is out on that one as his defending still leaves a lot to be desired.

Says you and some of tosh you have posted on here in recent weeks! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

...and I just happened to mix up my left and right with both players in my initial post. Should have been pretty obvious and what I was getting at is as below. i.e O'Connor isnt taking his place.

This. The majority havent and/or are too focused on his attacking ability rather than his defensive ability.

Ok so you have obviously seen every QPR game thiss season? Just like the fans ive talked to and seen on message boards who are raving about him

• Advertisement

Whats the crack with Johnny Hayes? Has he opted out or anything like that? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement